Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Walmart Cell Phones

Has anyone here bought a Verizon phone through Walmart? I'm a little wary of doing so, but it's a TON cheaper than going directly through Verizon.

For example, Verizon wants $179 for the Droid X, Walmart wants $79, plus a $50 rebate for an already free phone that my mom wants.

Any opinions?

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Blitzman
173rd Paratrooper

Drives: Summit White SS
When I was traveling around the US for the military I would always pick up new phones at Walmart because they were cheaper and were the exact same phone.
American Racing Headers
Thunder Racing Cam
Walker Bullet Exhaust
DSS 1400hp Axles
Barton Industries Shifter
ADM Boost/AFR Gauges
Blitzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
FenwickHockey65

I guess what I'm most worried about is whether or not I'll have any hassle when needing to contact Verizon for stuff. I don't want to have to go through Walmart's thing.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:52 AM   #4
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
It's the same as going to a verizon. Once you buy it you can go to any verizon location for service, etc.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
Big Brunsy

Drives: Silverado
It would be the same thing as buying a phone thru wireless world or radio shack
Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brunsy View Post
It would be the same thing as buying a phone thru wireless world or radio shack
That's what I was hoping for. Thanks everyone.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Are you getting your own service or going to use pre paid cards???

My only small complaint is my Virgin phone / which uses sprint network is long distance to call from a land line. Cause its pre pay and that local + crap.

As my number is really from somewhere in Cleveland, which means to call my phone from Walmart where I bought it or just a few miles from there at home with a land line, I must dial a 1 and you know what that means........ long distance charges, though other cell phones don't get charged that, only land lines.

Course I would not blame them 100% its that new local plus crap when they merged half of Ohio into the 419 area code creating that local + BS.
Looks like a local number but you must dial a 1 first.

Though I stick with it as they are the only ones who get good service out here. Plus I only pay $20 every 90 days.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Are you getting your own service or going to use pre paid cards???

My only small complaint is my Virgin phone / which uses sprint network is long distance to call from a land line. Cause its pre pay and that local + crap.

As my number is really from somewhere in Cleveland, which means to call my phone from Walmart where I bought it or just a few miles from there at home with a land line, I must dial a 1 and you know what that means........ long distance charges, though other cell phones don't get charged that, only land lines.

Course I would not blame them 100% its that new local plus crap when they merged half of Ohio into the 419 area code creating that local + BS.
Looks like a local number but you must dial a 1 first.

Though I stick with it as they are the only ones who get good service out here. Plus I only pay $20 every 90 days.
I have my own service. Verizon is just charging waaaaay too much for a new phone.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
If ya got your own service then it don't matter where it comes from, long as its not reported stolen
Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
most everything you buy at walmart is made to walmart specs, might look the same as item at other stores but they are not,, check out laptops and tv's they all have a slightly different part number for an item that looks exactly the same

there was posting somewhere about all the differances from a walmart item compared to other stores,, the one i rememer was about a big screen tv, same model purchased from best buy and one from walmart. taken out of the box and the walmart one was like 5-10# lighter due to cheaper parts used in the build
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #11
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
most everything you buy at walmart is made to walmart specs, might look the same as item at other stores but they are not,, check out laptops and tv's they all have a slightly different part number for an item that looks exactly the same

there was posting somewhere about all the differances from a walmart item compared to other stores,, the one i rememer was about a big screen tv, same model purchased from best buy and one from walmart. taken out of the box and the walmart one was like 5-10# lighter due to cheaper parts used in the build
Pretty easy to blame that on Walmart but they do not tell anyone how to build anything, what they do is say we will only sell it for a discount.

Its the manufactures who decided to build a cheaper version, then let you get a deal on it.

Only blame you could lay on Walmart is for being to big.
Only that lets them demand lower prices for the customers.
And again only them being so big like that can a manufacture produce items just for them and still profit form it. If Walmart was a bit smaller, the manufactures could not make two types of the same items and come out ahead.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
gHoSt437

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS
I was shopping for a phone over the summer and ended up ordering my Droid X from Verizon's online store. It was the same price as the ad's from places like Best Buy, & Walmart. It's all the same products only difference is stores like Walmart usually give you an instant rebate for $100-150 up front making it cheaper. The cell carrier stores pretty much have the same price, but thats after a mail in rebate. Imo why wait 3 months for a rebate when you can just pay less in the first place.
gHoSt437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
I was thinking about buying the Droid 2 from Walmart because with Walmart it's free after a mail in rebate where as Verizon it's $120 after rebate. The thing they didn't tell me until I was getting ready to buy it is these type of phones (Verizon, ATT, etc) require a 2 year contract with Walmart and the cheapest contract they have is $90 a month for a smart phone (we pay less then that for 4 phones with Verizon and Walmart wants $90 a month for 1 phone!). I didn't want the contract, I just wanted the phone so I asked how much without a contract as I already have a contract with Verizon and all I got was "Walmart does not sell these phones by themselves. You must purchase a 2 year contract with Walmart's Straight Talk." Even after asking for a manager, that's all I got and was told that if all I wanted was a phone to buy one of their cheap Tracfone or Net10 phone. I went to two separate Walmarts and got the same answer.

So right now I'm waiting till Verizons cost comes down some as I'm not getting a 2 year contract with Walmart's inferior Straight Talk when I have one with Verizon.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I was thinking about buying the Droid 2 from Walmart because with Walmart it's free after a mail in rebate where as Verizon it's $120 after rebate. The thing they didn't tell me until I was getting ready to buy it is these type of phones (Verizon, ATT, etc) require a 2 year contract with Walmart and the cheapest contract they have is $90 a month for a smart phone (we pay less then that for 4 phones with Verizon and Walmart wants $90 a month for 1 phone!). I didn't want the contract, I just wanted the phone so I asked how much without a contract as I already have a contract with Verizon and all I got was "Walmart does not sell these phones by themselves. You must purchase a 2 year contract with Walmart's Straight Talk." Even after asking for a manager, that's all I got and was told that if all I wanted was a phone to buy one of their cheap Tracfone or Net10 phone. I went to two separate Walmarts and got the same answer.

So right now I'm waiting till Verizons cost comes down some as I'm not getting a 2 year contract with Walmart's inferior Straight Talk when I have one with Verizon.
Really? That's interesting...might have to make some calls now...

Old 11-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Has anyone here bought a Verizon phone through Walmart? I'm a little wary of doing so, but it's a TON cheaper than going directly through Verizon.

For example, Verizon wants $179 for the Droid X, Walmart wants $79, plus a $50 rebate for an already free phone that my mom wants.

Any opinions?

check out radio shack as well. I've got sprint and instead of buying my phones thru the sprint store having to pay nearly full cost up front, and having to wait 30-60 days to get my extra rebate in the mail. I go thru radio shack and they apply all the rebates immediately. or like the case with my new phone that I just got a couple months ago, my account wasn't eligible for the upgrade but my wifes was. so we bought the phone under her line, then swapped it over after it was turned on. Had to call sprint to do it and they told us we wouldnt be elgible to get the rebate in the mail... I just chuckled and told them not to worry about it as it was Radio shacks problem at that point.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #16
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post

I seriously doubt that HTC makes a 4G EVO for their normal stores and then one for Walmart. Or, for that matter I doubt any other company does this. The reason that Walmart can sell for less is VOLUME that they can purchase. That's the whole concept behind Walmart.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #17
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
companies do make different items for walmart,, just go check out the tv's and laptops,, same item part number for walmart item is a little different, usually has a W added to the part number

buy a walmart laptop and take it apart to try and add memory,, most you cant because they are made cheaper and dont come with extra memory slots like the same item from best buy or any other retail store. most all items at walmart are made special for them

doesnt mean there items dont work fine, and might last a long time,, just saying they are not all exactly the same item you would get from another retail store
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller

Last edited by camaro1; 11-07-2010 at 10:09 AM.
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
turboguy327

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
I got my droid X from walmart. Its the exact same thing as from verizon. Same box same phone. Covered through verizon and insurance just as getting it from verizon. And there are no extra charges or contracts. Walmart is cheaper than verizon overcharging you like crazy on everything they can.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #19
turboguy327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

Straight talk uses verizon service...... how is it inferior?? Its verizon you just don't have verizon support because its prepay. But it uses verizon towers
Old 11-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #20
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Really? That's interesting...might have to make some calls now...
I just went to Walmart.com and sure enough the Droid phones are only this cheap if you agree to sign a 2 year contract. http://www.walmart.letstalk.com/prod...e.htm?pgId=100 If you don't get a contract the phones are $550.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #21
FenwickHockey65

Yeah, I called and figured out what's going on. If you have a contract currently with Verizon, you have to get a brand new one if you want to buy from Walmart, which I'm not putting up with.

The lady I talked to at Verizon told me it might be a good idea to wait for Black Friday sales, so I think that's my best bet right now.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #22
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
Straight talk uses verizon service...... how is it inferior?? Its verizon you just don't have verizon support because its prepay. But it uses verizon towers
Straight Talk uses T-Mobile I think.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #23
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
Straight Talk has more dead zones and poorer reception then Verizon. If it uses Verizon then it should be just as good as Verizon but it's not.

One of my aunt's live in a small valley. We go to her house on the holidays as it's the only place big enough for 20-30 people. At her place, Verizon will pick up with 1 bar in the house and 2 bars out in the yard. Some of our family members have AT&T and some went with Walmart's Straight Talk. They have no reception at her house and have to wait until they leave the valley just to get 1 bar. I don't know about you but I call that inferior.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #24
Mr_Draco

http://www.straighttalk.com/ShopPhon...AAB4&product=8

Read the very bottom.

Quote:
Straight Talk® is a registered trademark of TracFone Wireless, Inc
It is not Verizon.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #25
turboguy327

Not according to verizon reps. And look at their brochures. They are an exact match to verizon coverage maps. Same fonts and all. And tracfone is gsm. Straighttalk is cdma like verizon.