Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
BriCo84

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT w/RS
DRL Wireless Harness AND subwoofers

Ok, so I had an interesting idea. I bought the wireless DRL harness from fieldgoal00. Anyone who has bought this know that the box comes with 4 switches essentially, but we only need 1 for our DRL's, leaving us with 3 extra switches to hook something else up to.

I am also adding a sub and amp to my car, but I want to keep the factory head unit and speakers and all that. The only thing that sucks about this is there is no way to easily turn off the subs at the flip of a swtich without running a Gain all the way to the front. But I had a great idea (at least what I think is a great idea), what if I hooked up the subs/amp to run through the wireless harness switchbox on one of the spare switches? I could then essentially control my subs on/off with the same remote I use for the DRLs. I am just not exactly sure how to do this. Do I wire the remote amp turn on lead, or the ground for the amp? or what?

Has anyone who has bought the wireless harness, and done a system, done anything like this? Or does anyone know of the best way to accomplish this? I doubt it has been done but I think it is a great idea.
BriCo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
run a wire from the remote turn on from Fliedgoal to the amp remote turn on. This will allow you to turn the amp on and off. Piece of cake.
Redemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
run a wire from the remote turn on from Fliedgoal to the amp remote turn on. This will allow you to turn the amp on and off. Piece of cake.
exactly right......and as stated...PIECE OF CAKE.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
BriCo84

But doesn't that work only if the amp hasn't turned on yet? Sorry, I am a car audio installation noob. This will be my first install. As I understand it the remote turn on lead just tells the amp hey, time to turn on. Right? So if I switch that lead off once I have already been driving with the amp/subs on you're sure it will turn off the amp?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
Bumble_Bee

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriCo84 View Post
But doesn't that work only if the amp hasn't turned on yet? Sorry, I am a car audio installation noob. This will be my first install. As I understand it the remote turn on lead just tells the amp hey, time to turn on. Right? So if I switch that lead off once I have already been driving with the amp/subs on you're sure it will turn off the amp?
Wire it up they way you are thinking and you'll be good. The remote lead is also the guy who tells the amp hey, time to turn off.
Bumble_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
BriCo84

Great thanks!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
yep I did this with an civic I had in High school (yes I went through that phase haha)

The remote wire you hook up to your amp is basically the signal from your head unit telling the amp to turn on. If you put a switch on that wire you can safely turn your amp on and off. This is the best way to do it because it's a low voltage signal and you're not instantly cutting power etc causing spikes. Works like a charm.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Question.....why would you want to turn off the subs? I could see turning them up or down depending on the music but not completely off. At least I never did back in the days where I ran subs.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
WildBill373

Drives: 2010 1SS
I tapped into the power wire for the 12 V accessory outlet in the console for my remote wire, easier than fishing a wire all the way from the front to the back, just runs under the carpet and rear seat, turns on/and off with the car
WildBill373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
BriCo84

Lots of reasons why i would want to turn it off.

I like the ability to turn off the subs if im listening to talk radio or sports, also if I have a client in the car I don't need my subs thumping if he decides to turn the radio on. Also when im near the po there's no reason to provoke them, so I always turn it off then.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #11
BriCo84

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way(path to take) to run the wire from the amp(trunk passenger side) to the front of the car where the wireless box is (passenger side wheel well)?

Obviously I could just guess and run under the carpets and probably it won't be too difficult, but just in case someone has already done this and would like to share I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 12-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
BriCo84

Ok so everyone here who told me to just run the remote turn on wire to one of the 4 channels on the box...you were wrong. As I originally thought, that doesn't work. Those channels control the ground. So I wasted all that time wiring everything for nothing.

Now that I am done venting. Does anyone know of a wat to make this work right? (See original post for details)

-Sent via my R2D2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram8.html
Redemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
BriCo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
Holy sh1t that's awesome! You are the man redemption. Any suggestions on where to get exactly what i need? I am a little lost here.