Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
cam fan

Drives: fast
Exclamation Could the thing protecting you (car cover) harm you?

I have the official GM red car cover for the Camaro and I have a feeling it is causing the only-seen-in-sunlight swirl marks (that drive me insane!).

Am I right to suspect this?

other factors:
- car is 3 weeks old
- lightly dusted with california duster and covered every night after use
- camaro is washed every week by hand with proper wash technique (i.e. JunkMan's advice)

:(

btw that is not my paint above; that's mildly worse

Last edited by cam fan; 11-11-2010 at 11:14 PM.
cam fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
I would only use a cover for long term storage... otherwise garage it.
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I only put the car cover on mine once the car is completely clean. Anything on the paint will get rubbed into it. Especially if it's an outdoor car with wind blowing on it. So it could have caused it.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
What cloth/rag/whatever are you washing/drying the car with? The swirl could be caused by that I would guess. You'd have to be doing something like rubbing your hand in a swirling motion on top of the cover rubbing it into the car though.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Car Covers are for long term storage. Do not put it on and off your car everyday. You will be doing more harm than good. Just think of all those little dust particles that you drag across the paint every time you put the cover on. Over time, they add up.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
pennor

Drives: 2011 2LT - 73 Corvette 454
Quick answer: YES!

Your car cover could be doing this. Years ago it was popular to buy a bra for the front of some cars to "protect the paint" from flying sand and bugs while you drove it. But after a while those who did this noticed that the bra actually rubbed nasty looking marks into the paint where it was constantly worked back and forth by the wind hitting the front of the car. So I can see how a car cover being put on and taken off on a daily basis could do the same.
pennor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
Kwik

Drives: car
I really think car covers do more harm than good. If any dust gets on the surface, the cover will grind it into the paint. The covers also hold dust, so they put the dust against the paint each time you use them. Wash your car thoroughly when it goes into storage and wash it as soon as you start driving it again.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
mulletman

Drives: 2010 ABM SS LS3
Get rid of the California Duster. Wash the car to remove dust. Even using a light touch dust is being ground into the paint.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I think the california duster is more to blame than the car cover is...
Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
One thing I found out early on, pretty much impossible to keep swirls out of this paint, it might as well be wet its so fragile. Mine is black and I do keep swirls to a minimum but the reality is, I drive it everyday and it's going to happen so I don't stress about it anymore.

Swirls being caused by "swirling motion" while washing or drying is a myth, the spots look like swirl scratches because thats how the specular light flashes off the surface. The scratches really go in all directions.

I'd avoid the dry dusting, wash it weekly, wax it every few months. If your worried about the swirls have the car gone over with a fine grade polish, wax and put it in the garage and never touch it again... pretty much your only option.

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
spurscar

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS A6
Nothing like taking a piece of fabric and using it to push dust and dirt all around the
finish of your new car... awesome...
Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
The California Duster is a great tool if used properly, i think more damage gets done to the paint when drying, that's why i always use spotless car wash.

And i also believe that the car cover is causing more harm than good. i dont think they where designed for daily use.

(not yet written)" rel="nofollow"><object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8gVU4C_6wOE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8gVU4C_6wOE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
SuperH
Synergized

Drives: 2011 SGM M6 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to SuperH Send a message via AIM to SuperH Send a message via MSN to SuperH Send a message via Yahoo to SuperH
I use a large California Duster, and I've used them on my Onyx Black Canyon. When used properly, they should leave no scratches. Do not let them abrase your paint; as you bring the duster across the vehicle (make sure you have the large one), turn it tangentally with respect to the direction you are moving it. This will result in a "lift" action not a "wipe" action, and you will avoid scratches altogether.

For each vehicle panel, "wipe and fling" off the dust from the California Duster, shake it, and then move onto the next panel.

The car cover is likely the culprit. Get some Meguiar's ScratchX, and apply it with a Microfiber applicator on an orbital buffer, then use a Microfiber polishing pad to polish the finish. Back-buff afterward with a terry cloth pad, and leave it alone.
SuperH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
I'm pretty sure it's not just the car cover causing that massive swirl damage. That's improper wash media or technique. Car covers can scratch, but after only 3 weeks, there's no way it did that much circular damage. Time to review wash videos and buy some big boy paint car and correction materials (not Meg's OTC)
Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
SuperH
Synergized

Send a message via ICQ to SuperH Send a message via AIM to SuperH Send a message via MSN to SuperH Send a message via Yahoo to SuperH
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's not just the car cover causing that massive swirl damage. That's improper wash media or technique. Car covers can scratch, but after only 3 weeks, there's no way it did that much circular damage. Time to review wash videos and buy some big boy paint car and correction materials (not Meg's OTC)
I've not washed my car with any contacting methods. No wash mitts; nothing of that nature. That's a no-no on my Camaro! Maybe the wash media is something to consider as well; car covers don't just "swirl" in perfect circles like that.

(My contactless washing is hand-washing, not automatic washing, and not with a strong jet either, because that can wash the dirt over the paint and cause scratches...)

It looks like an unskilled buff job with a straight buffer by the photos.

Do you think his damage is bad enough to use more abrasive materials? I usually back off what I see in a photo because my experience is that photos usually look worse than the vehicle actually is.

I'd start with something very mild and work up, like Meguiar's ScratchX OTC. I've always been very conservative with modern factory finishes; they aren't very thick.

What it comes down to, is no matter what you're going to do to protect or wash it, you're going to be doing it wrong!!! Clear coats are extremely delicate with regard to abrasions. Much like the balance between the clutch, brake pedal, and accelerator, you just have to find that balance between the wash, the storage, and the shine!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
redirish

Drives: 2SS/RS/M6/IOM/IOM/WHTRALLY
The car cover is not to blame. Swirls are casued by in proper washing/drying. The car cover should be unfolded on the car and folded off the car. Never just pull it off and you should use the duster to clean the cover before removing. Then you should put the cover in a clean sealed container until used again. I only use mine when storing for a long period of time.
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #17
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
If it touches the paint then it has potential to swirl, scratch, mar,...pick your adjective...

As everyone has pointed out, you touched the paint when you washed, dried, dusted, put the cover on, etc....take your pick when it occurred.

>>find that balance between the wash, the storage, and the shine

Excellent advise, the only thing I might add or emphasize is protection and/or the correction via wax (also known as LSP "last step protection") and polish.

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalizer43 View Post
I think the california duster is more to blame than the car cover is...
+1
Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
PHEOX

Drives: '06 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
Get rid of the California Duster. Wash the car to remove dust. Even using a light touch dust is being ground into the paint.
Keep the duster, just use it correctly. Junkman shows you how.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #20
VcrusaderV
Devin

Drives: 2012 ZL-1
All these years I thought I was using my duster right.... I have been applying way too much pressure. Another day of learning something new. Thanks

2012 ZL-1 Camaro
Victory Red
VcrusaderV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #21
cam fan

I do not have a garage at home, just my driveway. Thanks for all the replies.

It sucks that the cover is not for everyday use, but it makes plain and simple sense, that any contact with the paint will cause the issue.

BTW I gave the car a closer inspection and I can say that the heavier damage exists on the areas that get the tightest hold from the cover: the arch of the rear, the pointed rear portion below the plates, just above the windows etc
Old 11-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #22
SuperH
Synergized

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam fan View Post
I do not have a garage at home, just my driveway. Thanks for all the replies.
Is a carport able to be constructed? These can be relatively inexpensive to build. You might want to look into that. Winter is right around the corner. I don't know if your Camaro will be driven in the winter - I see you're in New York. If it won't be, then you may want to look at what you can do to keep all of that snow and ice from building up on your car. Snow can be very sharp when it melts, turns into ice, and slides off, depending on the angle at which it starts to melt. It can also push dirt with it when the ice/snow slides off.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #23
cam fan

idk how but it ripped half the chrome-looking covering off the word CAMARO on the passenger side

ffffffffff
Old 11-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #24
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Wow and your car is so young...
Old 11-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #25
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Circular scratches are caused by circualar motion. Paint imperfections bother me. Clear coats scratches that can only be see under direct light do not. They are gonna happen and you must keep on top of it all the time. I applaud all of you that are dedicated to keeping all clear coat scratches under contol. It's a never ending battle. That is dedication.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote