Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
elsololobo02
 
elsololobo02's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 244
2011 V6 LS Headers Help!!!

I am new Camaro owner and I am looking for some advice from some more experienced individuals other than my self. I have purchsed a set of BBK Ceramic coated headers for my V6 LS. I have contacted a couple of reputable speeds shops in my area and they both have told me that it takes about 6-7 hours to install headers on my vehicle. I looked at the BBK web page and they claim that they can be installed in 1.5 hrs (according to the Tech PDF). Not sure if the speed shops are trying to take me to the cleaners on labor costs and wanted to know if the speed shops time (6-7 hrs) is way out of bounds or not?

Secondly they want to charge me $600 for a dyno tune ($300 for the tuner license and $300 for the dyno for 1 hour). Is this a fair price for this service??

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
2010 Bumblebee

 
2010 Bumblebee's Avatar
 
Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 1,050
I'd say the 1.5 hours is correct.. I haven't got a tune, but I think $500 is the going rate. Which I think is expensive, but if you have the equiptment then you ask the price. I think it's $150 for the software license and they are doubling it to get to that $300. Also, may shops offer a re-tune of the same car for a discount..
__________________
The Yellow Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=128

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
dan0077
 
dan0077's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Bee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 45
Tuner license? WTF
dan0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
dan0077
 
dan0077's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Bee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 45
ALL day install..... no way.
dan0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you
 
bossbunny's Avatar
 
Drives: The Sassiest V6 in the South!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cut 'N Shoot Texas
Posts: 24,514
They are trying to screw you...
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Rocklage
 
Drives: Beast on loan from Hades.
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsololobo02 View Post
I am new Camaro owner and I am looking for some advice from some more experienced individuals other than my self. I have purchsed a set of BBK Ceramic coated headers for my V6 LS. I have contacted a couple of reputable speeds shops in my area and they both have told me that it takes about 6-7 hours to install headers on my vehicle. I looked at the BBK web page and they claim that they can be installed in 1.5 hrs (according to the Tech PDF). Not sure if the speed shops are trying to take me to the cleaners on labor costs and wanted to know if the speed shops time (6-7 hrs) is way out of bounds or not?

Secondly they want to charge me $600 for a dyno tune ($300 for the tuner license and $300 for the dyno for 1 hour). Is this a fair price for this service??

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Holy Shit! Where do you live? I'm on the west coast and to use the dyno for 1hr is $75-$100. The tunning service I couldn't say that will vary, but the labor on your Headers, yeah... I don't know about the rest of the camaro5 members but it took 2hours on my brothers Gen 5 SS.

In my opinion you are getting hosed, but you probably walked right into it, by not doing your research here first. They could probably sense your lack of info and took advantage of you.

But hey beauty of being the consumer is you get to choose where you want to spend your hard earned cash.
Rocklage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
dan0077
 
dan0077's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Bee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 45
Rocklage... where in San Diego R U.
dan0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"
 
camaro4mybday's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: long island ny
Posts: 2,334
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
being a installer i can say most other car headers do take a few hours depending on the car it self, but the v6 camaro is a easy install there is a ton of room in the car so id say 1.5 to 2 hrs would be about right as far as the dyno tune most do charge about 500 for a tune, it takes more than a hr to tune the car right there is trifecta that is tuneing the v6 they have knowledge of the car computer if the tuner has not tuned the v6 camaro before i wouldnt trust it as there are not many gains from a stock car, adjusting for the headers i can only see a little bit from this but talk to trifecta they are good
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklage View Post
Holy Shit! Where do you live? I'm on the west coast and to use the dyno for 1hr is $75-$100. The tunning service I couldn't say that will vary, but the labor on your Headers, yeah... I don't know about the rest of the camaro5 members but it took 2hours on my brothers Gen 5 SS.

In my opinion you are getting hosed, but you probably walked right into it, by not doing your research here first. They could probably sense your lack of info and took advantage of you.

But hey beauty of being the consumer is you get to choose where you want to spend your hard earned cash.
in my area, its about 495 for a dyno tune and 4 runs... the headers and dyno took 2 hours..

and btw if your camaro is brand new.. you should really wait to void the warranty...
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next

Last edited by mikeSS; 11-11-2010 at 09:14 PM.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
dan0077
 
dan0077's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Bee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 45
I paid 500 for tune/dyno in San Diego
dan0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
mickss

 
mickss's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2009
Location: .
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
in my area, its about 495 for a dyno tune and 4 runs... the headers and dyno took 2 hours..

and btw if your camaro is brand new.. you should really want to void the warranty...
OK I`ll ask, why should you want to void the warranty?
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
OK I`ll ask, why should you want to void the warranty?
i met to say wait... i edited it
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you
 
bossbunny's Avatar
 
Drives: The Sassiest V6 in the South!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cut 'N Shoot Texas
Posts: 24,514
Warrenty smorrenty.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
elsololobo02
 
elsololobo02's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 244
Thanks for all the info. I live in Virginia Beach, VA. There are only 2 places that do dyno tunning in the area. All this info was an over the phone quote from both speed shops. I haven't had either of the two shops do any of the work. I figured they were were off on how long it would take. I'm a Harley guy, I know they are not the same as cars but like you said (cmaro4mybday) there is plenty of room in the V6 to work with.

As far as the warranty....well I'm willing to roll the dice on that one. With a proper tune there shouldn't be any issues. I am willing to pay for a proper tune but not for 6-7 hours worth of labor especially on a 2-3 hour job. I am a business man and I believe in good pay for good work. I don't believe in ripping people off, even if they are ignorant at times. I have a flowmaster CAT back exhaust and a K&N cold air filter. The headers should put out a little more RWHP plus give it a nice sound. Thanks again for all your inputs.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #15
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 9,216
Lots of info on both of these subjects in the V6 area.

First off, don't pay any shop 6 to 7 hours worth of labor to install the BBK LT headers. My guess is that they really haven't even looked under the hood of a Camaro LLT and don't really know what to expect?? If you can make a visit by one of the shops, explain to them the expected installation time and maybe give them a view under the hood and maybe they will change their estimate.

As far as the tune, unless the shop is working with Vince from Trifecta tuning they will not be able to tune your car. Trifecta is the ONLY current resource that is tuning the LLT. Don't expect much of a power increase from tuning as it seems the Bosch unit on the V6 engine is tuned well from the factory. Instead the tune can be used to correct any Air/Fuel issues as well as stop the CEL that will almost positively occur from the LT headers. Also, he can do nice things with the automatic transmissions (change shift points and decrease the torque management).

So if these shops can't tune your car, at least you can order a tuning package through Vince, and then after taking data logs from your car, he will custom tune your car for you, as well as make future tweaks for free. In this case, you may want to schedule your dyno runs for another time after you are ready to capture the data logs for Vince, but dyno runs are not really necessary for it.

Not sure what exhaust you plan to run with the BBKs, but I think they tend to produce a very nice growl for the V6!
__________________
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #16
devildoc

 
devildoc's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaufort, SC
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Lots of info on both of these subjects in the V6 area.

First off, don't pay any shop 6 to 7 hours worth of labor to install the BBK LT headers. My guess is that they really haven't even looked under the hood of a Camaro LLT and don't really know what to expect?? If you can make a visit by one of the shops, explain to them the expected installation time and maybe give them a view under the hood and maybe they will change their estimate.

As far as the tune, unless the shop is working with Vince from Trifecta tuning they will not be able to tune your car. Trifecta is the ONLY current resource that is tuning the LLT. Don't expect much of a power increase from tuning as it seems the Bosch unit on the V6 engine is tuned well from the factory. Instead the tune can be used to correct any Air/Fuel issues as well as stop the CEL that will almost positively occur from the LT headers. Also, he can do nice things with the automatic transmissions (change shift points and decrease the torque management).

So if these shops can't tune your car, at least you can order a tuning package through Vince, and then after taking data logs from your car, he will custom tune your car for you, as well as make future tweaks for free. In this case, you may want to schedule your dyno runs for another time after you are ready to capture the data logs for Vince, but dyno runs are not really necessary for it.

Not sure what exhaust you plan to run with the BBKs, but I think they tend to produce a very nice growl for the V6!
Now to the OP, it took me 8hrs with a power lift and air tools to complete the headers. There are some really hard spots to get to, unlike our V8 brothers. Also, as KM mentioned they can't dyno tune your V6, there is no way unless they specifically say they are working with Trifecta. So I would just ask them, who/what they use to tune the cars, if they don't say trifecta then tell em you don't want a dyno/tune session done. They can still install the headers just don't do a tune. If you are looking for a reputable company to install your stuff, I would go to your "local" forum and ask for a reliable shop. Hope this helps.

PS - I see you are in Va Beach, I just came from over there. The company I used was in Newport News, called Horsepower Solutions. www.horsepowersolutions.net Give them a call. They are really good at what they do!
__________________
STANDING 1/4MI: 13.948@99.87
6600RPM HP/TQ Gains - 30.54HP/24.3TQ (NOT PEAK)
devildoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #17
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice
 
usa1camaro1969's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,642
Driver's side was a piece of cake, passenger side was harder(up at the front the alternator is right up against a bolt) but with the right universal is done easy enough.

Listen to Doc, contact the locals.
__________________
I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
-Ricky Bobby
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #18
elsololobo02
 
elsololobo02's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 244
Really great info!! I have heard many good things about trifecta. I will have the speed shop install the headers and let trifecta do the tune and then maybe think about a dyno down the road. Thanks again for all your help and advice. It is nice to see there are people out there that are still willing to help out others.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #19
devildoc

 
devildoc's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaufort, SC
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsololobo02 View Post
Really great info!! I have heard many good things about trifecta. I will have the speed shop install the headers and let trifecta do the tune and then maybe think about a dyno down the road. Thanks again for all your help and advice. It is nice to see there are people out there that are still willing to help out others.
No problem @ all!
__________________
STANDING 1/4MI: 13.948@99.87
6600RPM HP/TQ Gains - 30.54HP/24.3TQ (NOT PEAK)
devildoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:07 AM   #20
PoorMansCamaro
n00b
 
PoorMansCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Really Slow
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 53,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildoc View Post
Now to the OP, it took me 8hrs with a power lift and air tools to complete the headers. There are some really hard spots to get to, unlike our V8 brothers.
Wow, really glad to hear I wasn't the only one to take 8hrs. Lol I only had hand tools and jack stands! Lol
__________________
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #21
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice
 
usa1camaro1969's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Wow, really glad to hear I wasn't the only one to take 8hrs. Lol I only had hand tools and jack stands! Lol
It took me longer than what I'd hoped for and yes, I was jack stands and jack. I try not to look back on that day as to how long it took or how nicked up my hands got, but how great these headers look and sound.
__________________
I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
-Ricky Bobby
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #22
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice
 
usa1camaro1969's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro guy View Post
. for tuning go with trifecta. $600 and very simple. he is the only v6 tuner known
I suggest before going that route with the tune to check to see if there's any Trifecta independent dealers out there.
1. you won't have to pay a deposit on the box/cable.
2. you won't have to pay for shipping each way9they already have the equipment)
3. $600 is $400 for the tune plus $200 for the cable. You may be able to get them to cut you a deal. I sure did.
There's one pretty close to the OP.


Trifecta Independent Tuner: Adam Nicola Adam Nicola
Serving: South East Virginia (Hampton VA)
Ph: (386) 983-0837
Email: SEVATrifectaTuning@yahoo.com
__________________
I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
-Ricky Bobby
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #23
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice
 
usa1camaro1969's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro guy View Post
if you go to a dealer you have to pay everytime they update the tune from vince. i have my own cable so i do it myself. AND once you buy the cable you get any future tunes for $140
Umm, no.
__________________
I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
-Ricky Bobby
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #24
Giaquinto1989
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsololobo02 View Post
I am new Camaro owner and I am looking for some advice from some more experienced individuals other than my self. I have purchsed a set of BBK Ceramic coated headers for my V6 LS. I have contacted a couple of reputable speeds shops in my area and they both have told me that it takes about 6-7 hours to install headers on my vehicle. I looked at the BBK web page and they claim that they can be installed in 1.5 hrs (according to the Tech PDF). Not sure if the speed shops are trying to take me to the cleaners on labor costs and wanted to know if the speed shops time (6-7 hrs) is way out of bounds or not?

Secondly they want to charge me $600 for a dyno tune ($300 for the tuner license and $300 for the dyno for 1 hour). Is this a fair price for this service??

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
I would highly suggest you get a base price your comfortable with before letting someone install things. I made that mistake and got stuck with a 750 dollar bill. As one C5 member pointed out... he probably had a beer inbetween each bolt. I had DT shorties installed, not sure how that compares, but try to get a deal set before letting them do their thing.
Giaquinto1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #25
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice
 
usa1camaro1969's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,642
Work your deal, I'll work mine. I know what deal I worked out with my tuner.
umm, no...
__________________
I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
-Ricky Bobby
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V6 Camaro Performance Upgrades rtcat600man Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 327 05-08-2014 03:05 PM
AR Headers 2010 Camaro V6 Headers Anthony@ARH Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 111 03-25-2011 11:14 AM
Holden V6 Headers Greycamaroguy Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 3 07-15-2010 02:58 AM
Stainless Works V6 Long Tube Headers Packages! tbyrne V6 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 11 01-07-2010 10:57 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.