Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 01-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #76
ponbigi

Drives: 2011 CAMARO LS
M
Quote:
Originally Posted by black11 View Post
I have the exact same problem. Seems to be much better when the tranny is warmed up. I've learned how to not shift it "too" fast and still make pretty quick shifts. it seems like it will grind when its forced a little too hard.

I'm waiting to see if GM ever releases any TSB for this before i get too worried about it. Tons of people have the same problem.
Dealer informed me after test run today when I reproduced the problem that It was probably the syncro he was going to lool up bulletins and seemed to recall there being one. I asked them to dig deep into the tranny to verify that that is the problem. Also regulator out on driver window replacing that as well. There is a tsb for that as well
ponbigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #77
dcoates

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS
Just got informed from my dealer that it was gonna take 2 months to get the special tool to fix my transmission, after a little discussing of the payments i was making and going to ask for compensation, she called the GM rep. and they said just replace the thing!!!! dont screw around with trying To fix it!!!
I'm happier now!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #78
ponbigi

I Heard back from the dealer on this today. They had to order some parts and plan to replace them (have not gotten what parts yet and change the tranny fluid) Apparently THERE IS a TSB on this issue now. I will get the TSB number as I have not seen it on here yet and post back when I get it.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #79
Rick@RKT56

Drives: Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponbigi View Post
I Heard back from the dealer on this today. They had to order some parts and plan to replace them (have not gotten what parts yet and change the tranny fluid) Apparently THERE IS a TSB on this issue now. I will get the TSB number as I have not seen it on here yet and post back when I get it.
Please do post the TSB # and I'll post the details here.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #80
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT

DMVC5
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #81
dcoates

I sure would like to see what is in that TSB for the shift problem!
Old 01-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #82
6bloodychunks

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
i am very interested in the tsb # also.

im sick of this problem with mine too.
10/09/2010 - (4800) Vehicle on final destination route
10/19/2010 - (5000) delivered to dealer
11/19/2010 - (6000) delivered to customer

6bloodychunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #83
ponbigi

Still working on getting the TSB # but not sure if this will help and could use a little help on this one myself. They are replacing the following parts. FORK, RING SET (2), 2ND GEAR, SLEEVE AND OIL (ASSUMING TRANNY FLUID) Anyone with more knowledge then me care to take a stab at what those parts are (other than 2nd gear) and if I should be concerned and step it up to get a new tranny?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #84
adc174

Drives: 2010
i know the syncros and sycro rings were a big part of the problem with mine. they caused the gears to wear.... like i said i have no part numbers on anything cause after getting shafted from gm i had a rockland tranzilla built... i am taking legal matters to get some money back
adc174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #85
ponbigi

part numbers as follow:

89058762 FORK (04303-CK)
89058794 RING SET (04416-CK)
92149634 Gear, 2nd (04395-C)
89058803 SLEEVE (04384-CK)
88862475 OIL (08800-BOPCK)

I have to get with the mechanic on this to see what's really going on. I am concerned i will be in the same spot soon after the repair.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #86
ponbigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by denster View Post
I have an idea.... Since a lot of us are facing a similiar problem with GM telling us they never heard of this problem, and also when we take it to the dealer, they say they never heard of this problem.
How about we start posting the Contact Name and Contact information for the dealer and the service manager of the dealerships that have found AND DONE SOMETHING about this problem. then we can give it to our dealers when they get all stupid and say they have no idea what to do about this.

Pattie Vantine Service Advisor #7194*W*
Chapman Chevrolet
480-838-1234
Tempe, AZ
Old 01-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #87
sixty9fordkiller
bowtie junkie

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
man, it sucks to have that problem. Ive grinded shifting into second gear twice but that was because i didnt time it right when releasing the clutch pedal. 2 times ive grinded second and i drive my car hard and no problems ever. I change the brake/clutch fluid with every oil change and changed the gear oil on the tranny at 10k. no problems here. i can shift fast and hard. All i have to worry about it the rear end trying to run circles around my front end when i shift

Ill tell you this much, changing the tranny oil made it shift much, much smoother than stock.

sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #88
jpizzle007

Drives: '10 LS3, '11 328i, '78 El Camino
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
man, it sucks to have that problem. Ive grinded shifting into second gear twice but that was because i didnt time it right when releasing the clutch pedal. 2 times ive grinded second and i drive my car hard and no problems ever. I change the brake/clutch fluid with every oil change and changed the gear oil on the tranny at 10k. no problems here. i can shift fast and hard. All i have to worry about it the rear end trying to run circles around my front end when i shift

Ill tell you this much, changing the tranny oil made it shift much, much smoother than stock.
I agree, changed out the fluid to RP and it helped quite a bit. I know for some this won't help.

What sucks is I want to get LTs and tune, but I won't do it in fear of tranny problems. If I thought the tranny was safe I would tune it.
Custom stainless steel catch-can, Halltech Yellow Jacket CAI, T-304 MBRP 3" CB, Solo HiFlow Cats, TSW Interlagos Matte Black, Nitto Invos 275/315, SkipShift Eliminator, MGW ShortThrow Shifter, Flux Capacitor - fully tweeked
jpizzle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #89
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
The only bulletin I know of just lists a whole bunch of things they claim are either normal or blame on driver error.

If something is mucked up, their just going to replace parts with the same fragile synchros and blocking rings it came with. Tremec and GM need to get their shit together on these shifting problems that have been going on for years.

Tremec updated the guts of the TR6060 with larger gears to account for todays higher hp engines. While leaving the case exactly the same size, leave room only for mini sized synchros. Quite the half ass'd update. Next time, hopefully with a different trans supplier, the internals need to be designed and spec'd for the load, then design the trans case to meet the needs of those internals. Not the other way around. A case designed over a decade ago just doesn't fit the bill today. But I'm sure they saved some nice coin not redesigned a new case.
Russell James is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #90
mad@gm

Drives: was a 2010 2SS/RS
M/T - Operating Characteristics INFORMATION
Bulletin No.: 03-07-29-004F
Date: July 29, 2009
Subject: Manual Transmission Operating Characteristics
Models:
2010 and Prior Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (Including Saturn)
2009 and Prior Chevrolet and GMC Medium Duty Trucks
2006-2010 HUMMER H3
with Manual Transmission Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2010 model year and remove Isuzu from the models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-07-29-004E (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle). Important
Even though this bulletin attempts to cover operating characteristics of manual transmissions, it cannot be all inclusive. Be sure to compare any questionable concerns to a similar vehicle and if possible, with similar mileage. Even though many of the conditions are described as characteristics and may not be durability issues, GM may attempt to improve specific issues for customer satisfaction. The purpose of this bulletin is to assist in identifying characteristics of manual transmissions that repair attempts will not change. The following are explanations and examples of conditions that will generally occur in all manual transmissions. All noises will vary between transmissions due to build variation, type of transmission (usually the more heavy duty, the more noise), type of flywheel and clutch, level of insulation, etc.
Basic Information
Many transmission noises are created by the firing pulses of the engine. Each firing pulse creates a sudden change in angular acceleration at the crankshaft. These changes in speed can be reduced with clutch damper springs and dual mass flywheels. However, some speed variation will make it through to the transmission. This can create noise as the various gears will accel and decel against each other because of required clearances.
Gear Rattle
Rattling or grinding (not to be confused with a missed shift type of grinding, also described as a combustion knock type of noise) type noises usually occur while operating the engine at low RPMs (lugging the engine). This can occur while accelerating from a stop (for example, a Corvette) or while operating at low RPMs while under a load (for example, Kodiak in a lower gear and at low engine speed). Vehicles equipped with a dual-mass flywheel (for example, a 3500 HD Sierra with the 6-speed manual and Duramax(R)) will have reduced noise levels as compared to vehicles without (for example, a 4500 Kodiak with the 6-speed manual and Duramax(R)). However, dual-mass flywheels do not eliminate all noise.
Neutral Rattle
There are often concerns of rattle while idling in neutral with the clutch engaged. This is related to the changes in angular acceleration described earlier. This is a light rattle, and once again, vehicles with dual mass flywheels will have reduced noise. If the engine is shut off while idling in neutral with the clutch engaged, the sudden stop of the engine will create a rapid change in angular acceleration that even dual mass flywheels cannot compensate. Because of the mass of all the components, this will create a noise. This type of noise should not be heard if the clutch is released (pedal pushed to the floor).
Backlash
Backlash noise is created when changing engine or driveline loading. This can occur when accelerating from a stop, coming to a stop, or applying and releasing the throttle (loading and unloading the driveline). This will vary based on vehicle type, build variations, driver input, vehicle loading, etc. and is created from the necessary clearance between all of the mating gears in the transmission, axle(s) and transfer case (if equipped).
Shift Effort
Shift effort will vary among different style transmissions and synchronizer designs. Usually the more heavy duty the transmission, the higher the shift effort because of the increased mass of the components. Shift effort can also be higher in cold weather because the fluid will be thicker. Medium duty transmissions will not shift as quickly as a Corvette transmission. To reduce shift effort, do not attempt to rush the shift - allow the synchronizers to work as designed. Shifting harder will only increase the chance of rushing past the synchronizer leading to grinding while shifting.
Non-Synchronized Gears
Some light duty truck transmissions in 1st gear (creeper-gear) and reverse gears in various transmissions, along with all gears in some medium duty transmissions, may be non-synchronized. This means there is not a mechanism to match input and output shaft speeds to allow for a smooth shift. This function is left up to the driver. This can be noticed if a shift into 1st or reverse is attempted while the vehicle is rolling or before the input shaft stops rotating leading to a gear grind. The grinding can be reduced by coming to a complete stop and pausing for a moment before shifting into the 1st or reverse gear. Some slight grinding can be expected. In medium duty non-synchronized transmissions, the driver must match input shaft (engine) speed to output shaft (driveshaft) speed with every shift. This can be accomplished by double clutching, or by using other methods. If the driver is not able to perform this function properly, there will be gear grinding with each improperly completed shift. Driver training may be required to correct this condition. Clutch brakes are used in medium duty non-synchronized transmissions to allow a shift into gear at a stop. The clutch brake is used to stop the input shaft from spinning, allowing a shift into gear at a stop without grinding. The clutch brake is activated by pressing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. When the clutch brake is used, it is possible to have a blocked shift with the vehicle stationary. If this occurs, engage the clutch slightly to rotate the input gear to allow the shift. The clutch brake is intended to only be used while at a stop. Care must be taken to not activate the clutch brake while shifting between gears. This could lead to excessive grinding or a blocked or missed shift.
Skip Shift
Currently, the Cadillac CTS-V, Pontiac GTO, Chevrolet Corvette and Camaro SS (other models may follow) equipped with the 6-speed manual transmission have a feature referred to as a "skip-shift". This feature only allows a shift from 1st to 4th gear when the indicator lamp is illuminated on the dash. Dealers cannot disable this feature as it was established to help meet fuel economy standards. The conditions for this feature are: engine coolant at normal operating temperature, vehicle speed of 24-31 km/h (15-19 mph), 21% or less throttle being used (refer to Service Information or the Owner Manual for more details.)

Last edited by mad@gm; 01-27-2011 at 07:22 AM.
mad@gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #91
mad@gm

Drives: was a 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoates View Post
I sure would like to see what is in that TSB for the shift problem!
As seen in the tsb, the problem is the "driver" not the product, don't forget that its operating as designed!
mad@gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #92
dcoates

Got my car back last week, replaced transmission for the 2nd-gear grind thing, better than ever with the shifting.
still notchy, but we live with that don't we?!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #93
eckerj

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Does the "Non-Synchronized Gears" section apply to V6 Manuals? Lately, when I've
been at a stoplight (i.e. car not moving at all), with the clutch fully pressed, I'll try
shifting from 1st to 2nd. The transmission won't let me get fully into 2nd, unless I let
the clutch out slightly.

I've always found my car to be difficult to shift, and have "ground" shifts into 2nd and
occasionally 3rd, thinking it was just my inexperience.

Beginning to sound like I need to bring it in to the dealership.
eckerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #94
Rick@RKT56

Drives: Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckerj View Post
Does the "Non-Synchronized Gears" section apply to V6 Manuals? Lately, when I've
been at a stoplight (i.e. car not moving at all), with the clutch fully pressed, I'll try
shifting from 1st to 2nd. The transmission won't let me get fully into 2nd, unless I let
the clutch out slightly.

I've always found my car to be difficult to shift, and have "ground" shifts into 2nd and

The V6 and V8 transmissions are fully synchronized.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #95
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Quote:
the clutch out slightly.

These transmissions will be stubborn like this especially when they're cold. Make note of the trans temp if you have the gauge pack. After 20 minutes of driving or so I don't have the issue.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #96
eckerj

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
These transmissions will be stubborn like this especially when they're cold. Make note of the trans temp if you have the gauge pack. After 20 minutes of driving or so I don't have the issue.
This happens at all times for me even after coming home from a long
commute...
eckerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #97
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Quote:
This happens at all times for me even after coming home from a long
commute...
Dealer then.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #98
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Any updates on that bulletin? My car is in for this and I'm getting the bs that everyone else has gotten....

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #99
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss/rs
[QUOTE=cab2g;2557529]It seems to be much worse for me when the car is cold. I notice it mostly on 2nd to 3rd. Dealer said the transmission was working as designed and that it would grind more and be harder to shift when the transmission was cold.[/QUOTE

I also had the same problem going from 2nd-3rd. I ended up just changing the trani fluid from what ever the stock was to mobile 1 ATF and I haven't had any problems since
upgrades kooks 1 3/4" LTH w/ high flow cats, roto fab cai, corsa exhaust, rx catch can, hurst short throw shifter. stage 3 comp cam, 3.91 gears 445rwhp 410 rwtq all installed and dyno tuned from slowhawk performance.
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #100
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Service advisor and tech had the car overnight to drive the car ice cold. Said it didn't grind at all for them and was smooth as silk... I'm pissed because I had to call him to find out 4 hours after they drove it.. #$%&U.... Picked up the car and went around the block.. **Grind** took it back to them and said lets go for a ride cause it just did it again to me. Tech goes with me and after 20 or so tries it FINALLY grinds.. Tech agreed that it shouldn't be grinding especially since the transmission was up to temp now. They are ordering parts and will call me when they come in... I'll letcha know what happens after i take it back to be fixed...

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote