Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
2ss black

Drives: black2ss
how many made

how many made modifications to the stock air box and what did u do to it i have a k&n filter and new era intake pipe and yes i can feel a different in power. i do not care what anyone say also i do not want to pay $300 to 500 dollars for a cai when the stock air box is just as good thank
2ss black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ss black View Post
how many made modifications to the stock air box and what did u do to it i have a k&n filter and new era intake pipe and yes i can feel a different in power. i do not care what anyone say also i do not want to pay $300 to 500 dollars for a cai when the stock air box is just as good thank
No offense but if the stock airbox is just as good as the rest, why are you looking for mods for it?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ss black View Post
Then, you will never Reap the Benefits of a Cold Air Kit.

There is a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
i put mine in my spare bedroom and installed a c.a.i. brand cai in the car.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
from an untrained eye, I noticed these differences in CAIs vs the stock airbox.

1) high flow filter
2) intake tube with no resonance chambers
3) most have a larger opening behind the headlamp than the stock intake which only has a smaller diameter tube to pull air in from.

1) allows more air to get in, but also allows a tiny bit more debris
2) increases engine noise (most people like this) and may also change the airflow harmonics (hopefully for the better)
3) Not really sure if this is better or not to be honest, there must be a reason GM decided not to leave a large hole in the side of the airbox like most CAIs have... But from my perspective, it would appear that a bigger hole means air is more easily sucked into the filter versus the stock setup.

So from what I can really tell regarding a CAI, the air is pulled from the same place as the stock intake. The high flow filter allows more air in with less force.

But I cannot understand for the life of me why some CAIs such as the CAI inc intake do not have a much of a temperature rise at high RPMs as the stock intake. I know the CAI inc intake has a coated intake tube. I am not sure if this makes all the difference. But it's interesting.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
But I cannot understand for the life of me why some CAIs such as the CAI inc intake do not have a much of a temperature rise at high RPMs as the stock intake. I know the CAI inc intake has a coated intake tube. I am not sure if this makes all the difference. But it's interesting.
Just using my common sense thought process, the stock intake draws ALL it's air via the little scoop in to the funnel from the box. That scoop draws it's air right off the edge of the radiator. I don't know how much this affects the temps, with the OEM setup, but i'm sure it doesn't help. The others can access the air from the bottom and all around the headlight which will help in increasing the amount of air available, in addition to NOT coming off the hot radiator.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote