Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 04-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
marcotheepolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS
Fastest/cheapest way

To get my v6 camaro a little faster. I leased it for 3 years but I understand if the changes could be undone at the end of three years, it's no problem. Thanks
marcotheepolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
IneedAZ

Drives: not enough power
guess it depends on what you mean by a little faster. 50 shot of nitrous and you should be able to leave the tune alone and can easily remove system down the road.
2012: Vmax TBody, CAI w/scoop, Solo HFC, ZL1 FP, Magnaflow TruX, Dynomax VT, RX catch can, HP Tune, BMR; Springs, Sways, Trailing Arms, Toe Ends, & Safety Loop, Koni str.t, Pioneer Z150bh, Phoenix Gold Sub, Hertz speakers & 5ch Amp, SS rear with 3.91 gears w/Eaton TrueTrac, and BMR bushings, Baer Decela Rotors, Goodridge brake lines, Brembo(GM) 4 piston calipers, Hawk Ceramic pads, and Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta Tires, Ny-Trex Nitrous, and more. 345RWHP/354lbsTQ 12.8@108
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
marcotheepolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
guess it depends on what you mean by a little faster. 50 shot of nitrous and you should be able to leave the tune alone and can easily remove system down the road.
Is that stuff expensive? Like compared to a cold air intake or something
Old 04-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LT/RS
Well you said you only leased the car so why put a lot into it?
Mods: VMAX Ported Throttle Body, K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Solo High Flow Cats, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Caliper Conversion, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, Custom 2.5"/3" Hybrid Magnaflow Exhaust

Next: Wheels / Tires, or boost.

DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Don't put nitrous on a lease.
Look into a cold air intake, maybe a cat back exhaust (only really helps sound) maybe a throttle body.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
DSX_Camaro

If anything, take out the rear seat and spare tire kit (if you don't need / want them) for an easy 80lbs I think. Ported throttle body will help.
Mods: VMAX Ported Throttle Body, K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Solo High Flow Cats, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Caliper Conversion, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, Custom 2.5"/3" Hybrid Magnaflow Exhaust

Old 04-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
AshenGreyLFX

Drives: 2014 Ashen Grey 1LS
As someone who is leasing as well, I would definitely recommend the cold air intake and the throttle body. Only down side is the core charges for the throttle body since you need to change it back to stock before you turn it in.
Anyways, I got a cold air and I love it. I'm throwing down very low 14's at 97-99mph at the drag strip and I drive an m6 1ls. If you want some more get up, start putting 91+ octane in the tank. You'll notice a difference in fuel economy and sound. if you do anything, do at least both the cold air and the gas. you can always sell the intake later down the road to help recoup the loss.

Cheers
AshenGreyLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:58 PM   #8
marcotheepolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenGreyLFX View Post
As someone who is leasing as well, I would definitely recommend the cold air intake and the throttle body. Only down side is the core charges for the throttle body since you need to change it back to stock before you turn it in.
Anyways, I got a cold air and I love it. I'm throwing down very low 14's at 97-99mph at the drag strip and I drive an m6 1ls. If you want some more get up, start putting 91+ octane in the tank. You'll notice a difference in fuel economy and sound. if you do anything, do at least both the cold air and the gas. you can always sell the intake later down the road to help recoup the loss.

Cheers
Ashen you recommend putting premium gas in the tank? And which cai do you use? How much was it and are you going to leave the cai installed when you take it in for maintenance? Sorry for all the questions, thanks
Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
DSX_Camaro

Premium fuel doesn't pull timing, meaning more power and fuel efficiency. And you could get a ported throttle body - not like they'll check for it.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #10
IneedAZ

Drives: not enough power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Don't put nitrous on a lease.
Look into a cold air intake, maybe a cat back exhaust (only really helps sound) maybe a throttle body.
No reason he cant add Nitrous to a lease, and the reason i didnt mention the other things you listed was he posted in the Force induction section so i was in the mind set he is trying to decide between nitrous, turbo, or SC. Between the 3, nitrous would be the way to go fast for less and ease of removal.
2012: Vmax TBody, CAI w/scoop, Solo HFC, ZL1 FP, Magnaflow TruX, Dynomax VT, RX catch can, HP Tune, BMR; Springs, Sways, Trailing Arms, Toe Ends, & Safety Loop, Koni str.t, Pioneer Z150bh, Phoenix Gold Sub, Hertz speakers & 5ch Amp, SS rear with 3.91 gears w/Eaton TrueTrac, and BMR bushings, Baer Decela Rotors, Goodridge brake lines, Brembo(GM) 4 piston calipers, Hawk Ceramic pads, and Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta Tires, Ny-Trex Nitrous, and more. 345RWHP/354lbsTQ 12.8@108
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
marcotheepolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Premium fuel doesn't pull timing, meaning more power and fuel efficiency. And you could get a ported throttle body - not like they'll check for it.
So you recommend the "premium"? Or would the intermediate gas ("special" I believe) will suffice?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #12
DSX_Camaro

91+ octane is premium. I use 93 because we have it here. It makes a difference, especially in the high rpm range. But yes, you could just use 89. The car will adjust to any fuel.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
marcotheepolo

What is a throttle body and how much do they usually go forr
Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #14
NJBourne23

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
A few people mentioned on here that using the higher octane helps with the timing chain from "stretching" even on the v6. Is this true? I heard people saying it does and it doesn't.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #15
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcotheepolo View Post
What is a throttle body and how much do they usually go forr
http://www.apex-speed.com/vmax-cnc-s...camaro-en.html

And NJ, I don't know about the timing chain issue. It was rectified in 2011 or 2012 and I don't know if it's a TSB that you can have done or what... the only thing you can do to save timing chains usually is just change the oil regularly and use full synthetic.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
marcotheepolo

Quote:
http://www.apex-speed.com/vmax-cnc-s...camaro-en.html

And NJ, I don't know about the timing chain issue. It was rectified in 2011 or 2012 and I don't know if it's a TSB that you can have done or what... the only thing you can do to save timing chains usually is just change the oil regularly and use full synthetic.
Thanks DSX! Are they easy to install? Or do you have to get it done professionally?
Old 04-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #17
DSX_Camaro

4 bolts and a few hose clamps, man. Takes probably 30 minutes tops.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #18
marcotheepolo

Quote:
4 bolts and a few hose clamps, man. Takes probably 30 minutes tops.
and you had good results?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #19
DSX_Camaro

Yes, it pulls quite a bit better in the mid rpm range with just the throttle body. I got my K&N off amazon for rather cheap at the time.

You also might be able to get an exhaust shop to cut out the rear cats - they aren't monitored so unless someone is under the car they won't know (and we never have to pass emissions in FL) and you'll pick up some power.

But I didn't say that.