Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BORLA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
homero89
 
homero89's Avatar
 
Drives: 1LS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NTX
Posts: 77
2014 HID retrofit

Has anybody done a projector retrofit on a 2014 non rs headlight? Im kinda wanting to do a morimoto mini but dont know if this is the correct route to go about with non rs camaro headlights.
homero89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,112
I don't know if anyone has done them yet but have you contacted TheRetrofitSource.com yet? I bet the Mini H1 will work. It will just be a matter of which shroud to get and how/if you would have to cut it up to fit inside the housing.

See if you can find a used set of headlights or maybe a reproduction headlight to work with. Then take your factory ones and set them aside. That's what I did.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
homero89
 
homero89's Avatar
 
Drives: 1LS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NTX
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I don't know if anyone has done them yet but have you contacted TheRetrofitSource.com yet? I bet the Mini H1 will work. It will just be a matter of which shroud to get and how/if you would have to cut it up to fit inside the housing.

See if you can find a used set of headlights or maybe a reproduction headlight to work with. Then take your factory ones and set them aside. That's what I did.
I did, they told me I have to shave the back of my headlights, something I don't want to do. I'll look into the reproduction headlights, was hoping to keep it under the $400 price range tho
homero89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by homero89 View Post
I did, they told me I have to shave the back of my headlights, something I don't want to do. I'll look into the reproduction headlights, was hoping to keep it under the $400 price range tho
No ones probably taking the non HID headlights out of a '14 like they were doing back on the '10 and '11 but I picked up a set of used take offs for $80 for the set. One of them ended up breaking in shipping and I found a reproduction one for about $100 on eBay.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
FrankieBee
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Flushing NY
Posts: 150
Here is a pic of my 2010 Bumblebee with a 2014 Front conversion.
I used 4 projectors from The Retrofit Source for the Non-RS headlights.









The inner projectors will hit the headlight cover so the rear housing has to be modified. The original hole has to be opened at least 2.5 inches then a bracket has to be fabricated to hold the projector in place.
The outer projector installs much easier.
FrankieBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #6
homero89
 
homero89's Avatar
 
Drives: 1LS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NTX
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieBee View Post
Here is a pic of my 2010 Bumblebee with a 2014 Front conversion.
I used 4 projectors from The Retrofit Source for the Non-RS headlights.

[/URL]

The inner projectors will hit the headlight cover so the rear housing has to be modified. The original hole has to be opened at least 2.5 inches then a bracket has to be fabricated to hold the projector in place.
The outer projector installs much easier.
Where did you get the LED that lines the bottom and side of the headlight?

Also can you post output on the road?
homero89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
FrankieBee
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Flushing NY
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by homero89 View Post
Where did you get the LED that lines the bottom and side of the headlight?

Also can you post output on the road?
Ebay- http://www.ebay.com/itm/121271121682...84.m1423.l2649

Don't have any pics of output on road if that's what you are referring too.
FrankieBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #8
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent
 
Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Join Date: May 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 1,327
Thread resurrection- I'm installing the light strips in mine soon. What adhesive did you use and it holding up over time? I was planning to use a silicone adhesive but was concerned it would turn hard/brittle from the head of the headlights inside the enclosure and come apart.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #9
llcamaroguy
 
Drives: 1986 camaro, 2013 genesis coupe
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Houston
Posts: 16
what size projectors are those?
llcamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
llcamaroguy
 
Drives: 1986 camaro, 2013 genesis coupe
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Houston
Posts: 16
I recently did a projector retrofit with inspiration from this build
Here it is after test fit
Attached Images
   
llcamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
FrankieBee
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Flushing NY
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
Thread resurrection- I'm installing the light strips in mine soon. What adhesive did you use and it holding up over time? I was planning to use a silicone adhesive but was concerned it would turn hard/brittle from the head of the headlights inside the enclosure and come apart.

I used a Clear heavy duty silicone and had no issues with the heat from the lamps. RTV clear silicone from auto parts store.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FrankieBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #12
FrankieBee
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Flushing NY
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcamaroguy View Post
I recently did a projector retrofit with inspiration from this build

Here it is after test fit

Great work!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FrankieBee is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.