Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Camaro Convertible Forum For all Camaro Convertible specific discussions

Old 11-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #151
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
And video of the top...

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #152
pony
Noth'n to do with Mustang

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
First off....Thanks for all the pics and Video. Many of us have been waiting for images such as these.

Second ..by a quick search of all my posts they've most been regarding the convertible and shown I've been a staunch supporter of the convertible for months and years. However, after THIS picture, and the following LA Autoshow release statement by GM, I must say I'm a little disappointed. :(

At the outset, designers and engineers sought to eliminate the common appearance of convertible top support ribs and they succeeded, using composite knuckles rather than aluminum ones, as well as extending the top material below the belt line and revising the topís stitch lines. The result is a top that has a smooth, taut and carefully tailored appearance that also retains the sleek roofline of the coupe.

Has the long wait exaggerated my expectations, is this just a bad angle, earlier release version, or I'm I just being to damn picky?
Attached Images

pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #153
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post

Has the long wait exaggerated my expectations, is this just a bad angle, earlier release version, or I'm I just being to damn picky?
It is just the angle. I was there today and it looks very good. The ribs are hardly noticeable - especially at a distance. Up close of course you will be able to notice them, but as Number 3 said, a lot of people don't even realize it is a convertible until they take a long hard look.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #154
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Consider the photography, too. At the angle the picture is taken, you're seeing the full effect of over-exposure and shadowing thanks to a bright, low sun.

I doubt in real life the ribs are that obvious.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #155
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
looks good!
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #156
SSRS2010
SS/RSVIN04274

Drives: 2010 CAMARO.
So Cool Thank you
SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:04 AM   #157
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Consider the photography, too. At the angle the picture is taken, you're seeing the full effect of over-exposure and shadowing thanks to a bright, low sun.

I doubt in real life the ribs are that obvious.
Big words to much for me to handle
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:16 AM   #158
Jake
Go Speed Racer!!!

Drives: Camaro Concept Convertible
Why oh why Chevy, did you not build the tonneau cover into the car!?!?!?!?!? Why?!?!?!?!

This is the problem with half-baked American automotive design!!!!! By not building in the tonneau cover you essentially ran the ball down to the one yard line and stopped!?!?!? Why!?!?!

And what is the deal with the even smaller sun visors!?!?!

I keep saying this car should be competing with BMW and Mercedes, not a Chrysler Reliant K from the 1980s. If you think I am wrong, look no further than the Needless Markup special edition that retailed for $70,000 and sold out in 3 minutes.

Chevy, why wouldn't you build in the tonneau top, and ad climate control and charge $500 or $1000 more!?!?!?!?

GM, you have the coolest, best looking sports/muscle car ever made, and I think you should quickly update these bizarre shortcomings.

That being said, I still think the Camaro convertible is the best looking car I have ever seen.

By the way, when I say you should be competing with BMW and Mercedes, the car that this should be competing with is the upcoming all-new BMW 650i, which will retail for close to $100,000 and is slower 0-60 than the upcoming SS Camaro Convertible. GM if you just put in another $5k worth of detail, like a NAV screen, climate control, and seat-belts built into the seats you would knock this car out!!!!!

Also notice the BMW 650i does not have a goofy shark-fin.

Happy Holidays!!!!

Jake
Attached Images

Designer for BulletTrain at www.BulletTrain.com and Editor & Publisher of Jake's Rolex World Magazine located at www.RolexMagazine.com

Last edited by Jake; 11-28-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:19 AM   #159
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Thanks for posting up the top up shots #3.........I'm convinced that as a looker, the vert is fine as wine with the top retracted, in as much hidious with the poorly designed and loosely canvased top up.......... I'm really really glad I bought the sunroofed hardtopped model. just my .02
Old 11-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #160
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4THGEN Z View Post
Great pics, I just noticed the wider rear spoiler, is this a 'vert version only?
That larger/wider spoiler is a standard feature on the 2SS 'vert, Stew. It's one of the new innovations featured on the car as it houses the radio antenna. I believe the 1SS receives the coupe's spoiler...

Best regards,

Elie

Last edited by garfin; 11-28-2010 at 09:32 PM.
garfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #161
hotrodhoodrat
hotrodhoodratz

Drives: 68' & 70' Pontiac's /2004 D. Dakota
Quote:
First off....Thanks for all the pics and Video. Many of us have been waiting for images such as these.

Second ..by a quick search of all my posts they've most been regarding the convertible and shown I've been a staunch supporter of the convertible for months and years. However, after THIS picture, and the following LA Autoshow release statement by GM, I must say I'm a little disappointed. :(

At the outset, designers and engineers sought to eliminate the common appearance of convertible top support ribs and they succeeded, using composite knuckles rather than aluminum ones, as well as extending the top material below the belt line and revising the topís stitch lines. The result is a top that has a smooth, taut and carefully tailored appearance that also retains the sleek roofline of the coupe.

+ many thx for the pics & vid !
Hay, great to see you back Pony, do you think maybe this could be a test model (?) I dough it tho but I'm still thinking it could change, if not now maybe in another year or so. I'm glad its coming along but maybe to quick, it seems they (GM) may have been in a hurry & didn't put to much thought in to the tops design, I do believe some of us will be happy w/the end results but for some of us that know the Auto world, will always demand more. I do love some of the features & hope there's more things to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Why oh why Chevy, did you not build the tonneau cover into the car!?!?!?!?!? Why?!?!?!?!

This is the problem with half-baked American automotive design!!!!! By not building in the tonneau cover you essentially ran the ball down to the one yard line and stopped!?!?!? Why!?!?!

I keep saying this car should be competing with BMW and Mercedes, not a Chrysler Reliant K from the 1980s. If you think I am wrong, look no further than the Needless Markup special edition that retailed for $70,000 and sold out in 3 minutes.

Chevy, why wouldn't you build in the tonneau top, and ad climate control and charge $500 or $1000 more!?!?!?!?

GM, you have the coolest, best looking sports/muscle car ever made, and I think you should quickly update these bizarre shortcomings.

That being said, I still think the Camaro convertible is the best looking car I have ever seen.

By the way, when I say you should be competing with BMW and Mercedes, the car that this should be competing with is the upcoming all-new BMW 650i, which will retail for close to $100,000 and is slower 0-60 than the upcoming SS Camaro Convertible. GM if you just put in another $5k worth of detail, like a NAV screen, climate control, and seat-belts built into the seats you would knock this car out!!!!!

Happy Holidays!!!!

Jake
+ I believe GM is thinking they only need to compete w/mustang only & there not looking at the bigger picture, GM should step up to the plate and hit the ball out of the park., Playing it safe is a big risk IMO.

[QUOTE=FenwickHockey65;[/QUOTE]
for all of your time, pics, video & #3 thx much

Happy Holidays every one.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #162
FenwickHockey65

Quote:

Happy Holidays!!!!

Jake
You can't just say "Oh, this car sold out in minutes when priced at $70k, so every Convertible should get a price hike to compete with BMW and Mercedes." To do so would be suicide for GM and Chevrolet. The $70k car was a limited special edition so of course it would ultimately cost more, plus it was sold through a retailer that is well-known for grossly overpricing goods.

You're asking GM to spend an extra $6k altogether, bringing the base price of a 1LT to $36,000. That's beginning to creep up on the base price of a Cadillac CTS. This car has to be affordable because that's what Chevrolet is all about: offering quality cars at an affordable price. You can't just jack up the price all of a sudden and expect consumers to act as if everything is fine and dandy, Cadillac tried the same with the CTS and sales began dropping off immediately. If you want GM to throw a bunch of bells and whistles into a convertible, then you need to wait for the Cadillac ATS Convertible coming mid-decade.

Some of you really need a reality check. BMW can charge as much as they want for their cars because they're BMW. It doesn't matter if the 650i is slower than the Camaro, in the end, it's a LUXURY convertible, and that's what matters to its owners, not that the Camaro sitting next to them at a stoplight will pull away faster.

Regarding the shark fin, if any of you would like to purchase a convertible and find a way to rewire the antenna into another part of the car, be my guest. I understand that GM engineers tried their best to integrate it into the side view mirrors a la Corvette but found that it would be impossible. They don't like it any more than you do, but they can't really do much more about it.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #163
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
And they would price the car right out of its own market equating an instant (and significant) drop in sales. That's one of the reasons they are designing and engineering this car and we are not. They know how one change effects everything else...in short -- the Camaro teams knows what they're doing and we don't.

We know what we want to see on the car, and by all means let them know. But let them figure out how to do it....

As an aside, I think you'll be interested in the new Cadillac ATS coming shortly. The Camaro is not meant to compete in the luxury segment the way you're picturing...
Old 11-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #164
FenwickHockey65

Supposedly what the ATS Convertible will look like. I say supposedly because nothing has really been shown aside from a hacked-up test mule and because Number 3 will probably start laughing the minute he sees this.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #165
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Supposedly what the ATS Convertible will look like. I say supposedly because nothing has really been shown aside from a hacked-up test mule and because Number 3 will probably start laughing the minute he sees this.

Anyone can hack off a roof in photoshop. I believe there were a few of those of the Camaro, too. Didn't do it at all justice.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #166
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Anyone can hack off a roof in photoshop. I believe there were a few of those of the Camaro, too. Didn't do it at all justice.
It's had a bit more done to it than just taking the roof off. According to the person who did this render, Lutz said it was close to the final design. Whether or not that's true, we won't find out for a few years.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #167
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
It's had a bit more done to it than just taking the roof off. According to the person who did this render, Lutz said it was close to the final design. Whether or not that's true, we won't find out for a few years.
Hopefully the coupe/sedan will be unveiled at Detroit. We'll get a much better look then at the car...then someone can hack a roof off.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #168
Rick 2000

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:

That convertible is beutiful .
Rick 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #169
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Hopefully the coupe/sedan will be unveiled at Detroit. We'll get a much better look then at the car...then someone can hack a roof off.
I hope it isn't. It's too early. I'd rather not let BMW and Mercedes know what they'll be up against in a few years.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #170
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I hope it isn't. It's too early. I'd rather not let BMW and Mercedes know what they'll be up against in a few years.
I read that it was supposed to be unveiled at the LA show. So I just assumed they pushed it back a little. I know they've already announced plans to refit the plant for a new 'small Cadillac', which should take maximum of a year if the overhaul of Oshawa is any indicator. Which makes for about a ~2012 debut.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #171
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
I read that it was supposed to be unveiled at the LA show. So I just assumed they pushed it back a little. I know they've already announced plans to refit the plant for a new 'small Cadillac', which should take maximum of a year if the overhaul of Oshawa is any indicator. Which makes for about a ~2012 debut.
Oshawa is retooling to produce the XTS, not ATS. ATS is being built at Lansing Grand River. XTS is geared for launch either late next year or in 2012. ATS won't be around until 2014ish.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #172
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Oshawa is retooling to produce the XTS, not ATS. ATS is being built at Lansing Grand River. XTS is geared for launch either late next year or in 2012. ATS won't be around until 2014ish.
No, I'm sorry...I was using the overhaul for the Camaro as a time-table estimate for the retooling that's announced will be occurring at Lansing for the ATS. I didn't make that statement clear enough. It would put the plant ready-to-go by early 2012 at the lastest.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #173
Jake
Go Speed Racer!!!

Drives: Camaro Concept Convertible
v

Designer for BulletTrain at www.BulletTrain.com and Editor & Publisher of Jake's Rolex World Magazine located at www.RolexMagazine.com
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #174
RAWarrior

Drives: '11 CGM/IOM 2SS 'vert '02 GMC Envoy
3, Does the rear seat still fold down? I thought I saw a latch in one of the pics but I wasn't sure. Thanks for all the reconnoissance for us lol!!!
RAWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #175
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Sure would be nice...

Put those back windows that roll down on the normal Camaro please.

Quote:
And video of the top...

2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote