Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Gaming Lounge For all the gamers out there - consoles, PC, etc.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Exclamation HOLY CRAP, KINECT

This junk is insane. If this is the kind of technology they let have in our living rooms, what kind of toys do they keep for themselves??

Seriously, it's really an amazing little machine. Nintendo better do something fast, because this one is going to sink their battleship...

>

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Too bad Microsoft is just copying tech Sony invented and released 4 years ago for the PS2.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
formare
Suspension by Pedders

Drives: Synergy Edition 13.71@102 1.95 60'
I have all three systems, the kinect is waaaay different than any of the others.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Too bad Microsoft is just copying tech Sony invented and released 4 years ago for the PS2.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post

A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 11-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
A product released before its time is doomed to fail.

Like the Ngage, was a cell phone, a mp3 player, a game system with wireless multi play but its failed hard as it came out to soon.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
..response is somewhat 'left to be desired'..I'll wait 'til they improve on it.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
I'm not really into dancing in my living room...
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarCamaro View Post
I'm not really into dancing in my living room...
Draw the blinds

Old 11-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Draw the blinds
You can draw blinds with it too?! I'm just messin with ya! I don't have a 360 yet.
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #11
Big Brunsy

Drives: Silverado
I'm what you would call a 'lazy gamer' I like my recliner and controller.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
From what I hear, it's a little laggy at times.

As the development continues, I'm sure that won't be much of a problem.

My amazement comes from the genius that it had to take to both sense depth and differentiate shapes with cameras (a typically 2-D device), AND detect and eliminate only background noises for the mike.

That sort of tech all packaged in a neat little gizmo for $150?? Somebody pinch me!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarCamaro View Post
You can draw blinds with it too?! I'm just messin with ya! I don't have a 360 yet.
You can get and 360 Slim/Kinect package for 300, and it comes with a game for kinect. No HDD tho, sadly :/

Old 11-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #14
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
From what I hear, it's a little laggy at times.

As the development continues, I'm sure that won't be much of a problem.

My amazement comes from the genius that it had to take to both sense depth and differentiate shapes with cameras (a typically 2-D device), AND detect and eliminate only background noises for the mike.

That sort of tech all packaged in a neat little gizmo for $150?? Somebody pinch me!
For what it is, it's incredibly competent! Facial recognition, voice command, the list goes on! A bit scary tho, I gotta admit.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
For what it is, it's incredibly competent! Facial recognition, voice command, the list goes on! A bit scary tho, I gotta admit.
I wonder who'll be the first to repurpose the Kinect tool as a home security camera.

Recognize friend from foe. Like caller-ID.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #16
98_Camaro
The Purple People Eater

Drives: 1998 Bright Purple Metallic V6
Even if I had 7 feet of unobstructed space, I think I'd still take a pass on the kinect. The Wii sure hasn't done much for me in recent times (last game I bought was Brawl way back when), so I've lost faith in motion gaming.
Maybe when there's a price drop or my Elite sets sail on the oceans of death, but until then, I'm content with two joysticks and a couple triggers.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #17
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Microsoft puts down about 7 billion dollars a year into R&D ... It has to pay off some how and this is a step in the right direction.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #18
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
security camera or spy camera ?

Wonder how long it will take someone to hack the the PS or box camera through the game network and spy on folks at home, like their web cam on their computer.

Course the FBI or other GOV agency might be the first to use it to take a peek into folks homes to gather intel. Which may be be useale in court but if the suspect has a arm chair built out of bricks of conaine in the back ground, might be time for a casual knock on the door.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:57 AM   #19
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Just for the record you guys are being totally fooled by marketing. The specs of kinect were released , its basically the playstation eye (on ps3) with the framrate cut in half ( thats why its laggy sometimes ) and added quarter res depth sensors. The pseye on the ps3 has all the features you posted since it came out 3 years ago while only costing $40 and implemented in games already, sony just dont market it. Similar how ford market ecoboost as something new. I have the eyetoy on the ps2 the games you are playing on kinect are almost the exact same type of games people played for the past seven years, but it was more popular in europe than america . my main objection is that kinect is totally over priced, it should not cost more than $70 tops. The pseye (for ps3) has the ability and already implemented in to games to track your body (2d) (3d with move controller) , voice recognition/commands, facial recognition, head tracking etc... I believe Kung fu live is next body tracking game coming out for the pseye.

edit: kung fu live trailer for example...

Last edited by truth411; 11-21-2010 at 06:18 AM.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #20
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
Just for the record you guys are being totally fooled by marketing. The specs of kinect were released , its basically the playstation eye (on ps3) with the framrate cut in half ( thats why its laggy sometimes ) and added quarter res depth sensors. The pseye on the ps3 has all the features you posted since it came out 3 years ago while only costing $40 and implemented in games already, sony just dont market it. Similar how ford market ecoboost as something new. I have the eyetoy on the ps2 the games you are playing on kinect are almost the exact same type of games people played for the past seven years, but it was more popular in europe than america . my main objection is that kinect is totally over priced, it should not cost more than $70 tops. The pseye (for ps3) has the ability and already implemented in to games to track your body (2d) (3d with move controller) , voice recognition/commands, facial recognition, head tracking etc... I believe Kung fu live is next body tracking game coming out for the pseye.

Then for Pete's sake why does their new marketing gaget have those goofy icecream cone controllers for motion???

Id rather be seen waving around a Wii controler over those things, I don't want folks checking my car for rainbow stickers
Old 11-21-2010, 07:29 AM   #21
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
The Kinect is an interesting device. While the fact that my Wii remains unused for 6 months at a time till a decent game comes about will show I have little interest in motion gaming. I am interested in the techs used. The Wii's original solution involved tracking via infrared sensors and accelerometers. It works but is not very accurate. They added the motion plus device which contains a gyroscope and an additional accelerometer to give it a 1:1 ratio of movement even if the infrared sensors loose sight.

The Playstation2/3 had the EyeToy and it could track motion on a 2d plane but that was it. It worked but was limited. So they added the Move which combines the same tech as the WiiMote except it uses the EyeToy camera and a color changing soft ball on the end to gage depth in the 3d space.

Kinect uses a series of cameras and infrared emitters to track you in a 3d space. It works quite well and people have already started hacking to see how it works. Kinects biggest drawback is the tech relies on how far away you are from the rig. If you're not in the sweet spot tracking isn't as good.

I think the Move is probably the most accurate of them all but as I've always said if it doesn't all come in the box with the system then it's doomed to fail. Software developers want to sell tons of games. Making a game for something that not everyone has limits your sales and your budget. Good games will be scares and most likely for the Move it will be for half a$$ed tacked on features to other games. We'll have to see how they sell. At least Nintendo started packing the Motion Plus tech into New Wiimotes now.

Here's a cool video of what the Kinect is acctually doing.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #22
truth411

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
The Kinect is an interesting device. While the fact that my Wii remains unused for 6 months at a time till a decent game comes about will show I have little interest in motion gaming. I am interested in the techs used. The Wii's original solution involved tracking via infrared sensors and accelerometers. It works but is not very accurate. They added the motion plus device which contains a gyroscope and an additional accelerometer to give it a 1:1 ratio of movement even if the infrared sensors loose sight.

The Playstation2/3 had the EyeToy and it could track motion on a 2d plane but that was it. It worked but was limited. So they added the Move which combines the same tech as the WiiMote except it uses the EyeToy camera and a color changing soft ball on the end to gage depth in the 3d space.

Kinect uses a series of cameras and infrared emitters to track you in a 3d space. It works quite well and people have already started hacking to see how it works. Kinects biggest drawback is the tech relies on how far away you are from the rig. If you're not in the sweet spot tracking isn't as good.

I think the Move is probably the most accurate of them all but as I've always said if it doesn't all come in the box with the system then it's doomed to fail. Software developers want to sell tons of games. Making a game for something that not everyone has limits your sales and your budget. Good games will be scares and most likely for the Move it will be for half a$$ed tacked on features to other games. We'll have to see how they sell. At least Nintendo started packing the Motion Plus tech into New Wiimotes now.

False, ps move does not use the same tech as the wiimote at all, the wii can't track 3d space or the body at all as the move does. Both kinect and the move are an evolution of the ps2 eyetoy but they went in different directions. kinect is the pseye with the framrate cut in half and added quarter res depth sensors. Move is literally Mo-cap tech brought to the market, the pseye camera tracks the move which is an oversized Mo-cap ball. Microsoft are setting themselves up to findout that hardware is nothing without software to implement it in a manner that differentiate it from the competition. The games at present are eyetoyish games, and without a controller you can't navigate your character in 3d space, you are very limited on the type of games and generas that can be done which is why sony added a controller to work with the pseye. Thus being more flexible and applicable to many types casual and hardcore games while using much less system resources to the current ram limited consoles.

side note.. Microsoft decision to make kinect look like the wii motion sensor was a brilliant marketing move, but the $150 price point is absolute rapping of consumers. The xbox 360 cost $200.

edit : just saw the video sony already has that up and running thats similar, I will look for the link, no hack necessary.

edit : here we go, remember its all about software , if a game comes out that looked like that video you posted, it will look like this . watch the first 2 minutes, the rest is just sony PR. http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTg5MjYxMzQ0.html

edit : by the way both the 360 and ps3 have kinect and move bundles out of the box, but Microsoft lacks the first party studios to support it, which is another concern. Sony has new games for the move coming out early next year after the holidays. There are just too many red flags , my advice is ignore the hype and see how things playout or you run the risk of having a $150 dust collector if your not goimg to hack it.

Last edited by truth411; 11-21-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #23
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:

Quote:
False, ps move does not use the same tech as the wiimote at all, the wii can't track 3d space or the body at all as the move does. Both kinect and the move are an evolution of the ps2 eyetoy but they went in different directions. kinect is the pseye with the framrate cut in half and added quarter res depth sensors. Move is literally Mo-cap tech brought to the market, the pseye camera tracks the move which is an oversized Mo-cap ball. Microsoft are setting themselves up to findout that hardware is nothing without software to implement it in a manner that differentiate it from the competition. The games at present are eyetoyish games, and without a controller you can't navigate your character in 3d space, you are very limited on the type of games and generas that can be done which is why sony added a controller to work with the pseye. Thus being more flexible and applicable to many types casual and hardcore games while using much less system resources to the current ram limited consoles.

side note.. Microsoft decision to make kinect look like the wii motion sensor was a brilliant marketing move, but the $150 price point is absolute rapping of consumers. The xbox 360 cost $200.
Did you even read it?

As far as price. The Move motion controller is $49, the navigation controller is $29, and the eyetoy is $39 for a total of around $120 plus the $299 for the PS3 = $420. The Kinect is $150 and the xbox is $199 so it's only $350. Also if more than one person is playing the PS3 game at a time that price will increase. To a parent shopping the Xbox is the better deal and simpler.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #24
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:

Lose

Old 11-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #25
truth411

Quote:
Did you even read it?

As far as price. The Move motion controller is $49, the navigation controller is $29, and the eyetoy is $39 for a total of around $120 plus the $299 for the PS3 = $420. The Kinect is $150 and the xbox is $199 so it's only $350. Also if more than one person is playing the PS3 game at a time that price will increase. To a parent shopping the Xbox is the better deal and simpler.
facepalm... yes i did read it, re read mine. the move looks like the wiimote too atract wii consumers too upgrade to an hd console, but the tech behind the move is not like the wii nor derive from it. EXACTLY like kinect is designed to look like the wii sensors bar but the tech behind it is not like the wii sensor bar nor derive from it even though both use enfared. BOTH companies started with the eyetoy as its foundation to go after the wii market, and evolved it from there. PsMove is eyetoy + Mic + MoCap controller. Kinect is eyetoy + Mic + depth sensors. As far as price point you don't need the $30 nav controller at all, also its subjective sense the ps3 comes with a standard HDD, 3d compatible bluray player, web browser, and youdon't need $50 just to play games online. Add everything up and the 360 is waaaaaaay more expensive. $299 xbox 360 kinect bundle + $130 HDD + $50 xbox live + no HD format disc drive except HD-dvd addon thats $80 to match up feature for feature the ps3 has out of the box. Compared to the 399.99 Ps3 move bundle. Value wise the ps3 is the more bang for the buck largely thanks too bluray.