Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
EVO - UK - Camaro vs Mustang

Quote:
New Chevrolet Camaro and Shelby Mustang muscle cars square up

By Stephen Dobie 12th January 2009

ARTICLE FROM ENGLAND

Despite current woes in the US car industry, the great muscle car war of the Noughties is still very much on. While press conferences talking of a greener, cleaner future may have left the new Chevrolet Camaro and Shelby Mustang GT500 looking a tad uncomfortable on their manufacturer’s stands, would an American motor show be complete without some mad, brash coupes like these?

You probably already know your favourite, but the pair were battling it out for attention in different ways. The Camaro turned up in achingly cool black stealth mode while the Mustang was all bright stripes and big spoilers.

Power-wise, the Mustang's got this particular duel licked: its 5.4-litre V8 is a wee step up from the Camaro's relatively green 3.6-litre V6. The Shelby has 533bhp, the Chevy 300bhp. The Mustang has had a few extra years of development, though, and this one is turned up right to 11. The Camaro is in base trim, so it's one worth a revisit in the near future as the Chevy's range grows. Only one of these gets official UK sales, too, and it isn’t the Mustang.

For now at least, it's worth celebrating how far these cars have come. While muscle cars like the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger may not be the last word in dynamics, they have certainly moved their game on in recent years. The Chevy boasts independent rear suspension, a trick rear diff and massive Brembo four piston caliper brakes while the 'Stang gets a limited-slip diff and a clever ESP system that allows plenty of slidey fun before nannying the driver to stop.

Whether cars like this will still figure in GM and Ford's plans in the future and have a chance to develop further is unknown. For now at least, though, let battle commence...

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/23...s_mustang.html

Last edited by camaro5; 01-13-2009 at 12:54 AM.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
What a strangely imbalanced comparison. When was it confirmed the new Shelby was getting IRS?

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
VICTORY RED 1SS
booyaah

Drives: VICTORY RED 1SS
Who's that guy? He doesn't know much about cars...
VICTORY RED 1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
camaro5

Quote:
The Chevy boasts independent rear suspension, a trick rear diff and massive Brembo four piston caliper brakes while the 'Stang gets a limited-slip diff and a clever ESP system that allows plenty of slidey fun before nannying the driver to stop.
They said IRS on Chevy.

As far as the overall weirdness of the article, it's from England (UK). Blimey, pip-pip, and all that stuff.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Just wow...I'm not even going to formulate a response to his comments other than wow...
Old 01-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
hehehe...apparently he couldn't look beyond BLACK to see the Silver SS with 430hp... Good one, "my lad."
Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
Bails

Drives: 07 Mustang
Yea why is comparing the Shelby to the V6 Camaro... makes no sense.
Bails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
They said IRS on Chevy.

As far as the overall weirdness of the article, it's from England (UK). Blimey, pip-pip, and all that stuff.
Must have misread it then.

This gives me a great idea for a new Camaro V6 vs thread....

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
camaro5

I always find it interesting to hear the global interest in the new Camaro.

The foreign journalists rarely have the correct picture of our market.

Take it as the outsider, uninformed view it is. They ARE interested, and that's good.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Hum they should offer a line of flatz paint. That black flats looks good. I bet it's Hot Rod Flatz from House of Kolor (hood).
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote