Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Forza Exhausts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
HeaterMan

Drives: 13 Mustang 5.0 GHIG
I owe my camaro an apology

Ever since i bought my 2SS/RS M6 i have been only slightly impressed by it's power. I thought sure it's got some giddyup and go but it's not amazing or anything like that. i'm used to my older muscle car where i roll into the secondaries at 30 mph the back tires go up in smoke or the car down shifts and is gone.. well today i turned off traction control and drove the Camaro a little more aggressively. I must say NOW i am impressed. I could actually get a feel for the kind of power the car really has and it's much more aggressive with the TC off. it doesn't have the bottom end torque that my 455 has but it pulls very nicely above 3 grand. as of today i like the car a whole lot more...
HeaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaterMan View Post
Ever since i bought my 2SS/RS M6 i have been only slightly impressed by it's power. I thought sure it's got some giddyup and go but it's not amazing or anything like that. i'm used to my older muscle car where i roll into the secondaries at 30 mph the back tires go up in smoke or the car down shifts and is gone.. well today i turned off traction control and drove the Camaro a little more aggressively. I must say NOW i am impressed. I could actually get a feel for the kind of power the car really has and it's much more aggressive with the TC off. it doesn't have the bottom end torque that my 455 has but it pulls very nicely above 3 grand. as of today i like the car a whole lot more...
I always thought they should rename the T/C on their performance cars:

"Vehicle Behavior Mode: Tame, or kicka$$"

Totally different car with the system off. Just be careful!!

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
Sully

Drives: Orange 2SS/RS LS3
dont forget to double tap for competitive mode!
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
How different does the car behave between comp mode, and traction control off mode?

I'll be honest, I have yet to drive it around in either mode. I guess I am missing out. lol.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #5
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
In comp mode you can throw her rear end out more. Stabitrak is on but barely. The say only to do that on a closed road coarse. I almost ened up in a ditch in that mode, scary. That is why I only drive with T/C off.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners, MPSS 285/35/20 on all 4 corners.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
In comp mode you can throw her rear end out more. Stabitrak is on but barely. The say only to do that on a closed road coarse. I almost ened up in a ditch in that mode, scary. That is why I only drive with T/C off.

Hmmm, so traction control off actually has better "control" than competition mode?
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
>>>>...bottom end torque that my 455 has but

Yep, hard to match the feeling of a a big block
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Hmmm, so traction control off actually has better "control" than competition mode?
No not at all!

There are 4 modes all activated by the button by the shifter.

1. when you start the car everything is on.
2. One press of the button... T/C off, Stabilitrac on
3. Two presses of the button... Competition more. T/C on and Stabilitrac set to minimum. Also activates Lauch Control on the M6. (I think LC sucks)
4. MAYHEM MODE... hold the button for 7 seconds and T/C and Stablilitrac are off.

In a nut shell...

Traction Control (T/C) - reduces power if the wheels spin when going in a straight line. The computer measures the difference in wheel speed between the front and back wheels. Then it can tell if there is a loss in traction. T/C is good if you are going to drive your car in the inclement weather but for me, its pretty pointless.

Stabilitrac - reduces power if the wheels spin (rear end comes around on you) in a corner. The computer measures the difference in wheel speed between the right and left back wheels (and other things). Then it can tell if your rearend is coming around on you. Stabilitrac is great. It really works good and can keep the unsuspecting driver out of the ditch!

Day to day driving, even spirited... mode 1
If you want to do a big nasty burn out... mode 2
If you want to road course race, but beware, stabilitrac is at a MINIMUM! You can still lose it but it will allow you to drift corners... mode 3
If you want to go out and do burnouts, donuts, drift sideways and act like a total maniac... mode 4

When I jump on my car it second, it wants to cut loose so if I am in mode 1, it cools me down. Kind of annoying but eh, it happens like once in a blue moon.

I rarely touch the button and if I do, its mode 4!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
rawj7
U.S. ARMY Aviation Mech

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS 6 Speed
Sweet gota check out mode4, though with caution. hehehe
Old 05-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Make sure you rev it up to redline before you shift to the next gear.
That will get you in the power curve when you let the clutch back out.
And you will fell a power difference as well.
This is a performance car, and likes to rev high.
Alot of people short shift and don't get to feel waht the car can do.
I will admit, I was guilty when I got the car untill a buddy of mine was riding with me and gave me a little lesson.
stratman2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
What?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote