Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Transmission / Driveline

Transmission / Driveline Shifters, differentials, gears, rearends, clutch

View our official forum sponsors list.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #251
erk5000

 
erk5000's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 SIM
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 1,036
Send a message via Yahoo to erk5000
Is there anyway of making a shifter like this shifter in this link?
http://0.tqn.com/d/suvs/1/0/z/O/-/-/...ue_shifter.jpg
I guess people refer to this as a bump shift or tap shift by putting the stick into M and moving the stick up to up shift and down to down shift.
erk5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #252
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by erk5000 View Post
Is there anyway of making a shifter like this shifter in this link?
http://0.tqn.com/d/suvs/1/0/z/O/-/-/...ue_shifter.jpg
I guess people refer to this as a bump shift or tap shift by putting the stick into M and moving the stick up to up shift and down to down shift.
This has been brought up before, where as the camaro shifter is not a dual gate in cannot be done in that manner. I was working on a "bump" shifter that would be bumpped side to side but the two mechanisms are conflicting and there has not been enough requests to try to redisign one so as for now the only two options are the ones previewed in the above posts. I have driven a dual gate as pictured in my CTS but as you can see by the reviews on the posts and from my own experience I honestly think this is a mutch better option.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #253
04Ram2500Hemi

 
Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Missoula, Montana
Posts: 1,337
Quick question- how long would you say the install time is for those of us who are not as gifted in the mechanical department as others? I'm still giving this some serious thought for a "Coming Out Of Hibernation" gift to my Camaro.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #254
erk5000

 
erk5000's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 SIM
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 1,036
Send a message via Yahoo to erk5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
This has been brought up before, where as the camaro shifter is not a dual gate in cannot be done in that manner. I was working on a "bump" shifter that would be bumpped side to side but the two mechanisms are conflicting and there has not been enough requests to try to redisign one so as for now the only two options are the ones previewed in the above posts. I have driven a dual gate as pictured in my CTS but as you can see by the reviews on the posts and from my own experience I honestly think this is a mutch better option.
Okay, well I'll most likely be interested in purchasing a tap button shift with the pistol grip as you have now. Do you have any in stock and how much? Also, do you plan on making that bump shif in the future because if not then I'll definitely get your tap shifter but if you do make one then I'd probably hold off on the tap shifter until the bump shifter comes out.
erk5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #255
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
Quick question- how long would you say the install time is for those of us who are not as gifted in the mechanical department as others? I'm still giving this some serious thought for a "Coming Out Of Hibernation" gift to my Camaro.
The installation is really not difficult at all, I don't think anyone has spent more than an hour installing one, the most difficult part if you can call it that is releasing the terminal from the factory connector, many just cut the wire, if an external switch to toggle between the wheel buttons and shifter buttons is wanted then cutting the wire is done as well. If you scroll through the posts there is a link to the install instructions you can review and if there are any questions feel free to ask and I will clarify them if needed.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #256
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by erk5000 View Post
Okay, well I'll most likely be interested in purchasing a tap button shift with the pistol grip as you have now. Do you have any in stock and how much? Also, do you plan on making that bump shif in the future because if not then I'll definitely get your tap shifter but if you do make one then I'd probably hold off on the tap shifter until the bump shifter comes out.
I do have a couple of pistol grips in stock, the price is still at $249.00 shipped. The bump shifter I have been working on was on the same platform as the current mode, the idea was that if it worked I could retro fit the pistol grip at a reasonable cost, if the option doesn't work I most likely will not be designing new one
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #257
wangtangjf7
 
wangtangjf7's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
Quick question- how long would you say the install time is for those of us who are not as gifted in the mechanical department as others? I'm still giving this some serious thought for a "Coming Out Of Hibernation" gift to my Camaro.
I am definitely not gift mechanically but it took me and it took me about an hour and a half and it took me that long bc I didn't have the right tools. Having the right tools is key.
__________________
CGM LT/RS
Trifecta Tune "Ghost Cam"-ARH LT Headers w/ Straight Pipe-Bullet Mufflers- Magnaflow Resonated X Pipe-Injen CAI-RX Catch Can-Pistol Grip Shifter w/ Tap shift-Xenon Dome Lights
wangtangjf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #258
GMteSSted
000574
 
GMteSSted's Avatar
 
Drives: Pre-production Inferno Orange SS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 603
Thumbs up This is the Best Bolt on MOD! PERIOD

If you have an automatic, if you think you enjoy driving your car and you do not have George's console tap shifter, you are really missing out. This shifter puts the fun back in driving when you want it, and the freedom of the auto when you want it. With this shifter installed, I personally, manually shift every time I drive the car. This thing is perfect: the switch location, the grip, the easy install, it's a total package. I was at a show this past weekend in Florida and every person I showed the shifter to loved it. If your on the fence, then get off and buy this. You will not regret it. Heck, I think it sales itself so well, George should offer a money back guaranty! Of course that's up to him......George great product, you nailed it with this version!
GMteSSted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #259
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMteSSted View Post
If you have an automatic, if you think you enjoy driving your car and you do not have George's console tap shifter, you are really missing out. This shifter puts the fun back in driving when you want it, and the freedom of the auto when you want it. With this shifter installed, I personally, manually shift every time I drive the car. This thing is perfect: the switch location, the grip, the easy install, it's a total package. I was at a show this past weekend in Florida and every person I showed the shifter to loved it. If your on the fence, then get off and buy this. You will not regret it. Heck, I think it sales itself so well, George should offer a money back guaranty! Of course that's up to him......George great product, you nailed it with this version!
Hi Bobby glad your liking it. Wasn't sure if you would like this one over the original, glad you do. By the way, they do come with a money back guarantee, it has been posted a few times in this thread and is in the conclusion on the instruction sheet.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #260
erk5000

 
erk5000's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 SIM
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 1,036
Send a message via Yahoo to erk5000
Pm sent and I forgot to mention I want the pistol grip one
erk5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #261
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by erk5000 View Post
Pm sent and I forgot to mention I want the pistol grip one

Invoice sent
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #262
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,760
Hi everyone. Sorry I havn't been updating much, I was layed up in the hospital for a week. Anyhow I have several more shifters that will be ready for shipping by Monday or Tuesday at the latest, if anyones interested let me know and I'll get things rollin'.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #263
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged
 
kmcd's Avatar
 
Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,104
Hey, George. I'm sorry to hear you were laid up in the hospital, and I hope everything is O.K. now. If I lived up there, I'd probably be laid up all winter.

Do you still plan to build an articulating shifter one of these days?
__________________
"If it's too loud...well, you know the rest."
kmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #264
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
Hey, George. I'm sorry to hear you were laid up in the hospital, and I hope everything is O.K. now. If I lived up there, I'd probably be laid up all winter.

Do you still plan to build an articulating shifter one of these days?
Hi Kevin, Thanks for your concern but I am good. The doctors screwed up my diagnosis big time and held me captive for a week.

As for now the answer to an articulating shifter would be no. Because the actuall shifter in the Camaro does not support this feature all of the designing would have to be in the shifter handle itself, because of the conflicting movements (forward and back, up and down, and side to side) the shifter handles themselves would have to be much more complicated than their current design. Although the ideas I had on doing this do have strong possibilities, as I played around with them the amount of work is substancial and I think would be cost prohibitive. Because of the type of work I do I am always stumbling on things that trigger new ideas so it is possible that at some point I may come up with something but I am not actively pursuing it.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #265
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged
 
kmcd's Avatar
 
Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
As for now the answer to an articulating shifter would be no.
That's O.K. I'm still quite happy (understatement) with your first shifter. Try to stay warm up there.
__________________
"If it's too loud...well, you know the rest."
kmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #266
HJ's Garage
 
HJ's Garage's Avatar
 
Drives: Black on Black 2SS RS A6
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 71
Do you have photo's? I know that Hurst is supposed to be coming out with a tap shifer with line lock incorporated. I saw it at SEMA, but nothing on the market yet?
HJ's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #267
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ's Garage View Post
Do you have photo's? I know that Hurst is supposed to be coming out with a tap shifer with line lock incorporated. I saw it at SEMA, but nothing on the market yet?
There are photo's posted in previous posts in this thread, some in customers vehicles, some in mine and some for comparisons.

I don't recall anything about the Hurst shifter having tapshift, the one previewed at Sema did not have that feature either.

The original versions of my shifters have line-lock/nitrous options available.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #268
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,760
Hi everyone, now have a couple of wrinkle black/polished pistol grips in stock and ready for shipping.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #269
mekc57
IOM inside and out
 
mekc57's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS 2010 Camaro
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 111
I'd love one. Thats one thing I don't love about my SS is those dam stearing wheel buttons. I've been almost kicking myself for getting the auto but have a bad back and thought the clutch would be too much for me when my back was giving me problems.

PM sent

Last edited by mekc57; 02-16-2011 at 04:09 PM.
mekc57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #270
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekc57 View Post
I'd love one. Thats one thing I don't love about my SS is those dam stearing wheel buttons. I've been almost kicking myself for getting the auto but have a bad back and thought the clutch would be too much for me when my back was giving me problems.

PM sent
There are a lot who feel the same way about the buttons, I think you, as everyone else who has tried these shifters, will be very happy.

They are in stock and ready to ship
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #271
jdouglas
 
jdouglas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS RS cgm
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Springfield, VA
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Hi, glad you like it. A leather cover could be made to go over the shifter with cut-outs to go over the switches but it could not be covered with leather and then assembled the reason being the shifter handle itself is three pieces, the two grips and frame, covering them before assembly would drastically change all clearences and would interfere with the wiring also the switches are a press fit into the grip, it also has a sharp recess which allows the switches to sit somewhat flush rather than sticking out, if this part was covered with leather it would not make this possible. The unfortunate thing with any aluminum or metal shifter is that they are affected by the surrounding temperatures. The factory shifter is plastic with a leather covering so it is not that greatly affected.
I bit the bullet and had mine leather wrapped. Going to install this weekend.




jdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #272
MontanaKnight
 
MontanaKnight's Avatar
 
Drives: Dreaming Of the 2011 SS2 A6 - Soon
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Posts: 225
Nice, but i like the Hurst better.
MontanaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #273
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdouglas View Post
I bit the bullet and had mine leather wrapped. Going to install this weekend.




That came out rather well, I am surprised there was enough room to get the switches out and put the leather under them. I take it they had no problem dis-assembling and re-assembling it or did you do it. If you don't mind me asking what did they charge you? Have you tried the release mechanism yet, with the added leather between the pieces it changes the clearence of the roller, I am very curious as to how it will function, keep me posted if you will.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #274
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaKnight View Post
Nice, but i like the Hurst better.
Hurst doen't have tapshift, it's cosmetic only.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #275
jdouglas
 
jdouglas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS RS cgm
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Springfield, VA
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
That came out rather well, I am surprised there was enough room to get the switches out and put the leather under them. I take it they had no problem dis-assembling and re-assembling it or did you do it. If you don't mind me asking what did they charge you? Have you tried the release mechanism yet, with the added leather between the pieces it changes the clearence of the roller, I am very curious as to how it will function, keep me posted if you will.
I did not do this myself as I have a few extra thumbs. I took it to a local hot rod shop and I believe they subbed it to their upholstery guys. They dinged me for 2.5 hours of labor plus the leather so the job was slightly more expensive than the shifter itself. I am a little embarrassed about how much I spent but it sure feels good and looks good. It feels a little tight rocking it but hopefully it will have better action when its installed and I will have better leaverage.
jdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TAG's 2010 THRSS #2 TAG UR IT Member Car Journals 3090 07-06-2014 05:43 PM
L99 shifter with tap shift CFD Transmission / Driveline 50 07-29-2011 11:32 AM
What's up with tap shifter users fitzi7 V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 11 01-07-2011 09:21 AM
Do you use your tapshift? ROD1 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 71 09-01-2010 09:52 AM
Hurst Billet/Plus 2 Shifter $319.95, get Skip Shift Eliminator FREE! Apex Motorsports Transmission / Driveline 22 06-15-2010 09:55 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.