Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Paint or Powdercoat polished Aluminum wheels

I am considering getting my Polished Aluminum CCW wheels either painted or powdercoated but was wondering if anyone else has done the same? Is one better than the other to go over raw aluminum? As much as I love the Polished Aluminum, the maintenance on them is just getting to be a pain in the arse so I may just give up and coat them with something.

Thanks in advance....

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
I believe prior to either PC or paint and media blast (sand/glass bead) or a thorough hand sand is required. The surface needs to be free from contaminents and scuffed sufficiently for the paint or powder.
SOLD Vengeance stage I cam (442rwhp/412rwtq) / CAI intake w/ADM race scoop / Dynatech LT's / ATI udp / JRE tuned / Eaton Posi LPE-JRE 3.91's / L99 Corsa / Whiteline Sways & Bushings / UMI Trailing Arms & Toe Rods / ZL1 wheels / NT05 275/315
NinoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Could you just have them Cleared? This would eliminate the need to polish them.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, BC Racing Coilovers, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushings, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Nitto Motivos, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinoSS View Post
I believe prior to either PC or paint and media blast (sand/glass bead) or a thorough hand sand is required. The surface needs to be free from contaminents and scuffed sufficiently for the paint or powder.
Figured there would be some prep work involved, assuming whoever I have do it would do the necessary prep. I hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkscott View Post
Could you just have them Cleared? This would eliminate the need to polish them.
Clear is an option I have considered as well, I just don't know how pristine I could get them looking before getting them coated and I already have some blemishes that I have buffed out and polished with a dremel. On brand new rims the clear would probably be fine, not too sure about these wheels which already have 17k miles on them and some dings.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Powder coating is much stronger than paint, and therefore will last longer. My wheels are getting powder coated right now. I'll put up some pics when i get them back (about 2 weeks due to backorder on my tires)
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brunsy View Post
Powder coating is much stronger than paint, and therefore will last longer. My wheels are getting powder coated right now. I'll put up some pics when i get them back (about 2 weeks due to backorder on my tires)
What color are you going with, I was thinking somewhere along the lines of some shade of black/dark gray

Old 03-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss-rs
I was also thinking of power coated my aluminum wheels. Maybe a charcoal gray. But the flat black is nice also.
Pfadt rear tie rods
Pfadt rear trailing arms
Pfadt rear lower control arm reinforcement bracket
Kooks Long tube headers and high flow cats
Airaid Cold air intake
Magnaflow catback exhaust
Mti short throw shifter
Jannetty tune
Silver Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
6liter

Drives: BLK
Pretreatment is one of the keys to any paint lasting on the wheel. Clear powder will provide the best UV protection, but you will lose gloss on the polish.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd - Mods: Kenne Bell 2.8, Kooks, Wortec Bi-Modal Exhaust & Big Brake Kit (12piston front), MTI Shifter, BC Racing Coilovers, CCW Thunderbolt, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Carbon Fiber and satin wrap. Thanks to Hartely Automotive for helping with this build.
6liter is offline   Reply With Quote