Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

LSR Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 11-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
96/10SS

Drives: 2010 2SS Orange w/ Grey stripes
really thinking vararam

Im really leaning towards the vararam intake from the threads ive been reading. how many people are running this intake and why did you go with it? are you happy with your decision? thanks for the input
96/10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Intrested as well.

Actually I'm more intrested to see if someone replaced a different CAI with the Vararam and thinks it's worth the money and effort.

Personally I don't care for the looks over the open element type but if it truely gets the kind of rwhp they are saying then I might have to bypass looks for performance.

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
96/10SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Intrested as well.

Actually I'm more intrested to see if someone replaced a different CAI with the Vararam and thinks it's worth the money and effort.

Personally I don't care for the looks over the open element type but if it truely gets the kind of rwhp they are saying then I might have to bypass looks for performance.

yea thatd be interesting to hear if someone splurged for the extra hp on this intake. an i kinda like the look makes me think of the fourth gen camaro.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Intrested as well.

I had the CAI and can't say I could feel any difference from stock. I knew there was HP increase but couldn't really feel it. With the Vararam I feel the difference. I bought one because others said they could feel the difference and the design seemed to make sense to me. Short airflow path, a relatively straight path to the intake manifold, and air source completely outside of the engine bay One thing that really impressed me was opening the hood and touching the Vararam, after driving for quite a while. The intake wasn't even warm.

Just to be clear, the CAI is exremely well made and Jannetty's testing showed it to be top notch. Not saying it not a great intake. If I were to do CAI again, I'd have to have the ADM sccop to go along with it because that makes sense.

Keep in mind that I don't take my car to the track, no dyno, and it's my daily commuter. I can only give my opinion based on SOTP.

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 11-25-2010 at 08:53 AM.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
sales@vararam.com

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96/10SS View Post
Im really leaning towards the vararam intake from the threads ive been reading. how many people are running this intake and why did you go with it? are you happy with your decision? thanks for the input
Just remember all our units come with our PERFORMANCE GUARANTEE - " If you don't like it - If you don't love it -If it does not perform the way we say it will - we will gladly take it back and pay the shipping both ways!!!" So the only thing you are at risk for is the installation time -and that is less than half an hour!!! Try it!! You'll like it!!!!
Steve
Vararam Industries
sales@vararam.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
jhyland87

Drives: 2011 2ss rs, black
This will prob be on the first set of performance mods I install, along with exhaust, headers, and a tune. I have yet to hear any negative feedback
jhyland87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I have this intake. I waited VERY long before I pulled the trigger on a setup. I could not be happier. OTR(Over the radiator) is an awesome intake. It pulls air from out side, although with the scoop attached others can as well.
I've data logged this intake(still am) and I am very impressed thus far with the results.
My IAT's stay almost at ambient when you are cruising and go down almost immediately once you get going. WOT this car sounds much more aggressive with this intake from an exhaust and intake standpoint. It looks awesome IMO. I just could not be happier.
I don't have any hp increase numbers, but it will be similar to most on the market at the very least. There are a lot of good ones available, just get the one you feel is best for you.

Last edited by BackinBlackSS/RS; 11-25-2010 at 07:29 AM.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
96/10SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
I have this intake. I waited VERY long before I pulled the trigger on a setup. I could not be happier. OTR(Over the radiator) is an awesome intake. It pulls air from out side, although with the scoop attached others can as well.
I've data logged this intake(still am) and I am very impressed thus far with the results.
My IAT's stay almost at ambient when you are cruising and go down almost immediately once you get going. WOT this car sounds much more aggressive with this intake from an exhaust and intake standpoint. It looks awesome IMO. I just could not be happier.
I don't have any hp increase numbers, but it will be similar to most on the market at the very least. There are a lot of good ones available, just get the one you feel is best for you.
Did you feel any hp increase? any better throttle response?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96/10SS View Post
Did you feel any hp increase? any better throttle response?
Absolutely on the throttle response. It's hard to feel the hp increase on a car that already has 426 hp, but I will tell you the car feels more aggressive and I know the hp gain is there, I just don't have a dyno to show what the gain is.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
IndeedSS1

^^^ His thread about the Vararam was the one that clinched the deal for me. Well that and Marylandspeed's deal on the Vararam on the right now.

Side note: Vararam's customer support team is top notch as well. I gave them a call, asked a bunch of questions, and ordered a spare filter and cleaning kit. The two guys I spoke two, Steve and Patrick (hope I got the names right) were friendly and went above and beyond to take care of me.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS
side note: Vararam's customer support team is top notch as well. I gave them a call, asked a bunch of questions, and ordered a spare filter and cleaning kit. The two guys I spoke two, Steve and Patrick (hope I got the names right) were friendly and went above and beyond to take care of me.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
I want from stock to a vararam and then to a K&N and back to the vararam, ( i was a beta tester for the two company's) First the throttle response was the best fell with the vararam no lag at all, and the OTR lets the car rev up fast, ones i added headers, this car runs like the wind, You will fell the HP pic up right away. IMO
Old 11-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
I wonder if Ted Jannetty is going to do any testing on the Vararam? I know it wasn't part of the last testing probably cause of the bucking problem that seems to be fixed now. I have a Roto-Fab which I'm happy with and I'm thinking about adding the ADM race scoop. Problem is the windshied washer bottle needs to be removed. I'm actually thinking of maybe going with the Vararam and selling the Roto-Fab so I'll have the benefit of fresh air and I can keep the washer bottle alone! Hmmmm, decisions decisions!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I'm actually thinking of maybe going with the Vararam and selling the Roto-Fab so I'll have the benefit of fresh air and I can keep the washer bottle alone! Hmmmm, decisions decisions!
Yep, it solves that problem for sure.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #15
96/10SS

Thanks guys you definitely closed the deal for me im going to get one forsure thanks for all the input!!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Love the intake...like the service even better.

They had some challenges bringing the product to market...but you'll be benefiting from all the hard work.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #17
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primer View Post
Guys I read all the shoot outs and fell into the hype. I went a bought a Cold Air Inductions system. What a mistake! I don't care what they put on to keep it cool inside and out it's still hot!! Then they save buy the air scoop for another $75.00 to get some more Hp. After spending $399 now I got to spend $75.00 more, no way. And then I have to lose my washer tank so it gets more air!! I often wonder who owns some of the compines that make these cai's and the comission that they pay out on sales compared to other cai's. I now have and LOVE the VARARAM it's got more seat of the pants power and is ice cold to the touch. Also I did not have to pay more money after I bought it to get someextra H/P it was there when I bought it. I did not have to lose my washer bottle either!! Now that Vararam has gotten the bugs out of their unit it seems like the different sponsors that knocked them are now praising them!! Go with the VARARAM and don't make a $399 mistake. It seems this forum was to help each other out and give info and make this joy of having a camaro a great thing. But as soon as you tell someone of a better deal down the road and try to help them save a few dollars from some of the greedy vendors you get yelled out. I'm here to learn and if someone asks me if I know of a good deal I'm going to tell them, because I am not getting paid by them and I tell the truth. Not everone is greedy but you need to look out and ask questions, like you did. I like the Vararam over the other because I had the other.
What didn't you like about the CAI unit and what made you change to the Vararam?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #18
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primer View Post
Guys I read all the shoot outs and fell into the hype. I went a bought a Cold Air Inductions system. What a mistake! I don't care what they put on to keep it cool inside and out it's still hot!! Then they save buy the air scoop for another $75.00 to get some more Hp. After spending $399 now I got to spend $75.00 more, no way. And then I have to lose my washer tank so it gets more air!! I often wonder who owns some of the compines that make these cai's and the comission that they pay out on sales compared to other cai's. I now have and LOVE the VARARAM it's got more seat of the pants power and is ice cold to the touch. Also I did not have to pay more money after I bought it to get someextra H/P it was there when I bought it. I did not have to lose my washer bottle either!! Now that Vararam has gotten the bugs out of their unit it seems like the different sponsors that knocked them are now praising them!! Go with the VARARAM and don't make a $399 mistake. It seems this forum was to help each other out and give info and make this joy of having a camaro a great thing. But as soon as you tell someone of a better deal down the road and try to help them save a few dollars from some of the greedy vendors you get yelled out. I'm here to learn and if someone asks me if I know of a good deal I'm going to tell them, because I am not getting paid by them and I tell the truth. Not everone is greedy but you need to look out and ask questions, like you did. I like the Vararam over the other because I had the other.
You have noticed the same thing as I did, being a previous owner of the CAI as well. BUT...the CAI is a nicely constructed unit. You can't fault them, because they provided a nice option that fit within the constraints given. That and their system was designed very well so as to not need a tune. As far as the vendors and their testing. I wouldn't fault them too much either. They provided a service and worked with what they had and the time given. As far as selling a product, many sell a variety of air intakes, providing different strokes for different folks.

The good news is so many love the CAI, and no reason they shouldn't, that you shouldn't have taken much of a loss reselling. What you have that others don't, is experience with another system. You can comment first hand versus just stating your point of view based on what someone else said. Priceless imo.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #19
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
You have noticed the same thing as I did, being a previous owner of the CAI as well. BUT...the CAI is a nicely constructed unit. You can't fault them, because they provided a nice option that fit within the constraints given. That and their system was designed very well so as to not need a tune. As far as the vendors and their testing. I wouldn't fault them too much either. They provided a service and worked with what they had and the time given. As far as selling a product, many sell a variety of air intakes, providing different strokes for different folks.

The good news is so many love the CAI, and no reason they shouldn't, that you shouldn't have taken much of a loss reselling. What you have that others don't, is experience with another system. You can comment first hand versus just stating your point of view based on what someone else said. Priceless imo.
Same question, what didn't you like about the CAI?
Old 11-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
Haole
My K9 partner and me

Drives: 10 IOM SS
Can someone give me their opinion on the Volant CAI. I actually have no knowledge in this area, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #21
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Same question, what didn't you like about the CAI?
I don't know if it was that I didn't like the CAI, but more of an indifference. One day I pulled the CAI off and threw the stock airbox on. It was then that I realized I noticed no difference between the two. As we know, the dyno shows more HP, but on my daily driver I couldn't feel it. If there wasn't a VaraRam I would likely have another CAI with ADM scoop but not without.

I've bought 3 things I could feel the difference after installing:

The SOLO mid pipes
The VMAx throttle body
The VaraRam air intake.

My other favorite mod was an accident, although I can't feel it. I bought a winter wheel/tire combo and have fallen in love with the look.
Attached Images

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 11-25-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #22
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
My other favorite mod was an accident, although I can feel it. I bought a winter wheel/tire combo and have fallen in love with the look.
Oh hell yeah!!!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #23
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Nice! Those wheels look good.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #24
booenson

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
I don't know if it was that I didn't like the CAI, but more of an indifference. One day I pulled the CAI off and threw the stock airbox on. It was then that I realized I noticed no difference between the two. As we know, the dyno shows more HP, but on my daily driver I couldn't feel it. If there wasn't a VaraRam I would likely have another CAI with ADM scoop but not without.

I've bought 3 things I could feel the difference after installing:

The SOLO mid pipes
The VMAx throttle body
The VaraRam air intake.

My other favorite mod was an accident, although I can't feel it. I bought a winter wheel/tire combo and have fallen in love with the look.
Other than the hp gains, did you notice a crisper throttle response or anything else with the vmax throttle body?
booenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #25
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Nice! Those wheels look good.
Thanks guys. BackInBlackSS/RS sig picture shows better definition of the anthracite color. Mine looks lighter than they actually are. They do sort of go with the gray stripes on the car.