Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:49 AM   #26
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
I think it looks fine, if one will do you dont need two.
Oddly, when I was a Design Release Manager, the work of going from two to one gas strut for holding the hood open was done by my group. Benchmarking showed us that several major OEMs had already gone there so we did some work to prove it worked. Now you will find most GM Cars with gas struts use only one for the hood.

It works just fine.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #27
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Oddly, when I was a Design Release Manager, the work of going from two to one gas strut for holding the hood open was done by my group. Benchmarking showed us that several major OEMs had already gone there so we did some work to prove it worked. Now you will find most GM Cars with gas struts use only one for the hood.

It works just fine.
The OP is not concerned with the operation of the hood, he's concerned about the aftermarket suspension upgrades that usually involve a strut tower bar...that this design would prevent from being an easy switch.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #28
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

It works just fine.
Hey, if it helps lower the cost of the car, lowers the weight a little, and leaves one less thing to break/wear-out, I like the idea. I think this is just one little detail your team probably addressed to keep Camaro as efficient a package as possible. With all the "concerns..." about weight and mass, it seems to me that this is just one area, among a likely many, that you guys tried to be as efficient as can be

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
The OP is not concerned with the operation of the hood, he's concerned about the aftermarket suspension upgrades that usually involve a strut tower bar...that this design would prevent from being an easy switch.
Well, I guess the aftermarket is just going to work a tad bit harder. I imagine that with as good as this chassis is that a STB may do more to add weight than actually enhance handling unless this thing is an all-out road racer/auto-Xer.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #29
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Yes!

I did!

.......and the prop rod doubles as a 2 x 4 or a baseball bat!!!!

*insert woman's scream here*
Wouldn't be the first camaro I owned that the hood was held up with a 2x4.....
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #30
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
Well to answer the OP original concern, go ahead and remove the OEM bracket and strut to install your bracing.

Then when you want to open the hood to do something, just "use your head" to hold the hood up!!

Delivered: 29 June 09 !!!

Current:
'57 BelAir 2Dr Post
'07 Avalanche LTZ (daily driver)
'10 Traverse (wife's demo)
'99 Harley FLHTC
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #31
bobby35ny

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Having the gas filler on the wrong side of the car don't bother anyone?

-bobby
Old 01-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #32
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post

-bobby
Not really as it means I can get in and out of the gas station quicker and not have to wait in line.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #33
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:

-bobby
Which side is the correct side, exactly? I don't ever remember seeing a written standard before.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #34
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Yeah, seemed I was replacing them annually on my '85, or using the 2x4.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #35
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Quote:
Which side is the correct side, exactly? I don't ever remember seeing a written standard before.
You don't know? It's the paragraph just before the "which side of the car the battery is mounted on" standard.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #36
FxsX24

Drives: S10 283 V8,Jimmy 4wd 4dr bk/bk
Quote:
a good portion of gm vehicles are all left hand fuel fill

i think with two struts for the hood. if both were not exactly the same the hood would lift crooked, and close the same way

of course they have done dual struts on many things without issue

could be a clearance issue so it was left to one
FxsX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #37
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

-bobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by FxsX24 View Post
a good portion of gm vehicles are all left hand fuel fill
Mines on the right. Its handy with a coupe because you never have to worry about hitting the pump with the door. And a pump is almost always open to you without having to wait, drive around, or back in.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #38
vsgls1

Drives: 07 GMC Sierra
Send a message via AIM to vsgls1
I used a broken graphite golf club...Then again, it was a carbon fiber hood.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #39
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Pedders has been working on the Camaro. If anyone is worried about this, I'm sure dms can answer the question. I'll go ahead and PM dms right now.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #40
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
I was unaware of the hood shock concern until now. We already have a strut tower brace for the Zeta. Here is a picture of it:

The G8 has dual hood struts near the outer end. No issues there with the tower brace.

We will have to wait and see. Pedders USA has a Camaro on order as you would expect. This will be our test car

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:48 AM   #41
detroitboy
Pinholic

Drives: 11 Silverado, 08 Shelby GT500 Conv.
If you put two of those heavily charged cylinders on that aluminum hood it might end up bent from trying to close it!
Ya can't see it anyway when you're driving it instead of parking it.

ordered 01/19/07
3000 - 2/27/09
3400 - 3/27/09
3800 - 4/17/09 (built and lost in the vortex)
ship date ??????? (I gave up and got a GT500)
5/11/09 - order cancelled
5/27/09 - vehicle arrived at dealership for whoever bought it after me
detroitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:01 AM   #42
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyChamp06 View Post
There are several hood up photo's on the thread "Road Trip in Victory Red Camaro" on photos forum. (Just scroll down towards middle and bottom photos)....No tower brace on the car though.
i was talking about the GS Camaro... it's the only one with a strut tower brace, which is what the OP was talking about.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #43
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
There is no doubt the GS Camaro will have a strut tower brace. I am not sure what the hood is made of.

there are lots of vehicles out there with a single hood strut. I personally would not want one. A good old Hood support rod would be just fine for me. That in fact might be the fix if in fact the hood strut stays where the picture shows it. This is one of those things that we will have to wait until production actually occurs. But making or modifying one of the millions of hood support cables will be a easy process. for me, I much rather have a strut tower brace and a hood support rod, than a support shock.

So those of you worried about not having one, have not fears. We all will get this worked out.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #44
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitboy View Post
If you put two of those heavily charged cylinders on that aluminum hood it might end up bent from trying to close it!
Ya can't see it anyway when you're driving it instead of parking it.
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT HAVING TWO HOOD STRUTS/SUPPORTS. All I care about is the PLACEMENT of the existing one as it prevents the addition of a strut tower brace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
There is no doubt the GS Camaro will have a strut tower brace. I am not sure what the hood is made of.

there are lots of vehicles out there with a single hood strut. I personally would not want one. A good old Hood support rod would be just fine for me. That in fact might be the fix if in fact the hood strut stays where the picture shows it. This is one of those things that we will have to wait until production actually occurs. But making or modifying one of the millions of hood support cables will be a easy process. for me, I much rather have a strut tower brace and a hood support rod, than a support shock.

So those of you worried about not having one, have not fears. We all will get this worked out.

mike
dms
Mike- Thanks for your response...you were probably as surprised as I was when you saw this...

I completely missed the December dollars days...so please PM me when you have another sale...I'll preorder the full Camaro setup. I finally had time to do my 'pedders research' and I'm satisfied (if not entirely excited!). I'm based in northeast Florida, so I'll be looking for an installer if you have any recommendations. Also, I'll be having 'other' work performed at Vengeance Racing in Atlanta...I have not spoken with them yet if they install/tune suspension setups.

Unfortunately I'm #3 in line at a small dealership...so I won't be one of your first.. :(
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #45
Thwick

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
I think if you converted to 2 supports, you could put them outside the strut towers, but since there's only 1, it wouldnt lift the hood properly if it were mounted further out. But its a lot of work to relocate and add a support.

I think the most common solution is just going to be what a lot of people are saying, just remove it and use something else to prop the hood up. Being Canadian i'll probably use a hockey stick.
Thwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #46
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
i wish it was a little heavier so it won't fly away as easily. i plan on driving with the hood up, so i would prefer having two shocks to hold it level. you get more even downforce that way!

come to look at it, you'd think a race car would have something a little better than the stock air box

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Yes!

I did!

.......and the prop rod doubles as a 2 x 4 or a baseball bat!!!!

*insert woman's scream here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT HAVING TWO HOOD STRUTS/SUPPORTS. All I care about is the PLACEMENT of the existing one as it prevents the addition of a strut tower brace.
Just give the aftermarket a month or two. There will be 5 or 6 strut tower braces out there that are compatible (better yet....BUILT FOR) the 5th Gen Camaro. Aftermarket companies always figure this stuff out...you know that.

I'm actually very happy that there is only one hood support....less to get in the way when I'm leaning under the hood. And, from others who have built this type of hood, hearing that it will be fine is good enough by me.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #47
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
ok i don't know all about it.. is the hood fiberglass or aluminium??
it kinda look cheap with only one strut.. maybe it isn't heavy and only needs one.. hope it doesn't bend that much when it's time to close the hood...
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #48
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
from everything i hear, it's aluminum
Old 01-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #49
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It's aluminum. And look at the way they bent/shaped the sheetmetal -- it'll be very structurally sound (no extraordinary flexing).
Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #50
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its an alloy (aluminum) hood so it won't be too heavy. And how long do you plan on having your hood open at any given time?
Have you ever owned a Camaro,or any other car that can be taken to a car show or car meet ? the hood on mine will be up alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
i used to use a broomstick for my 3rd gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1147 View Post
Well to answer the OP original concern, go ahead and remove the OEM bracket and strut to install your bracing.

Then when you want to open the hood to do something, just "use your head" to hold the hood up!!

ive used my head as well

Quote:

-bobby
ACTUALLY , its on the right side
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote