Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 11-25-2010, 03:25 AM   #1
Muzik36

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro Convertible
Best GMPP upgrades, if any at all?

So I'm going to get the new SS convertible in February or March, but I'm having difficulties deciding on what to upgrade on the car through GMPP. I've done my research and obviously all of their parts are intended to keep the car street legal so in reality it would be quite point less to pay the extraneous amount of money and not get much in return. I've looked at their head / cam upgrades, exhaust upgrades, and suspension upgrades and nothing is pleasing me for the money. I'm keeping the warranty valid so after market parts are out of the question. So as of now, as far as factory upgrades, I think asking for the ZR1 twin-dual clutch is the only safe bet. I'm also going to ask the dealer if it would be possible to up grade the wheels and tires to the ZR1 setup as well. But does any one have any recommendations?

On a further note... My long term goal is to have an over all car that can run 11s and handle far better than the stock version. After the warranty is through my first upgrades will be to the rear axles, trailing arms, driveshaft, and transmission. After that then I'll worry about horse power.

Also, I don't want to spend over $50,000 when i first purchase the car so there's about $5,000-$7,000 I have to upgrade the car before I drive it off the lot... WHAT DO I DO? DOES GMPP OFFER ANYTHING THAT REALLY IS WORTH THE MONEY?
Muzik36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Sandor
Chevrolet Performance

Drives: Camaro Chroma
How about the LS9 supercharger kit? That will give you the power you are looking for at the price point you are looking for.

http://www.camaro5.com/gmpp-releases...maro-ls3-motor
Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Jeff5886

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 1SS w/ RS
I would also like to know about this
Jeff5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzik36 View Post
I'm keeping the warranty valid so after market parts are out of the question.
Adding aftermarket parts will not void your warranty. This is a myth and would be illegal. Give this a read.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
How about the LS9 supercharger kit? That will give you the power you are looking for at the price point you are looking for.

http://www.camaro5.com/gmpp-releases...maro-ls3-motor
You better off getting a aftermarket kit designed for the LS3
Old 11-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Adding aftermarket parts will not void your warranty. This is a myth and would be illegal. Give this a read.
I am really surprised at your response, I would find it really hard to believe that if the OP got his wish at an 11 sec. Camaro convertible that the parts needed to get him there would not be called into question by GM if he had any drivetrain failures that he tried to get fixed under warranty.

The car is going to be heavy and will need some serious power to get down the quarter in 11 seconds.
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastkevman View Post
I am really surprised at your response, I would find it really hard to believe that if the OP got his wish at an 11 sec. Camaro convertible that the parts needed to get him there would not be called into question by GM if he had any drivetrain failures that he tried to get fixed under warranty.

The car is going to be heavy and will need some serious power to get down the quarter in 11 seconds.
I don't understand your dismay. I wasn't saying you can do what you like and they can't touch your warranty or that GM will warranty aftermarket parts. If you read the article I linked to it explains that your warranty can not be voided due to the presence of aftermarket parts, it is the law. A warranty repair can, however, be denied is if the aftermarket parts are directly responsible for the specific issue in question. It goes on to give specific examples of what is and isn't legal. You are correct that his plans will require extensive mods (more than what GMPP can offer him) and at the end of the day he will not be able to get into the 11s anytime soon without having to make some compromises.

I would be happy to discuss this further via PM but lets not hijack the OPs thread.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Muzik36

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro Convertible
I know that there is no way I'm going to run 11s without aftermarket parts, but at the same time I know that there has to be some GMPP upgrade that is worth the money. I want absolutly no problems when it comes to my warranty so I'm not going to do anything to the car until the 5 yrs are up. I know there are loop holes in the warranty but I'm way too busy to hassel with that. But when it comes to the car most reviewers (hotrod.com, carandrider.com, smokingtires.com, motortrend.com, etc...) say that the biggest problem with camaro is its inablity to hook from the start, so i figured just getting factory ZR1 wheels and tires would solve that. Agreed or no? That switch sould get me in the high 12s. I know thats no where near 11s but its a start.
Muzik36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzik36 View Post
I know that there is no way I'm going to run 11s without aftermarket parts, but at the same time I know that there has to be some GMPP upgrade that is worth the money. I want absolutly no problems when it comes to my warranty so I'm not going to do anything to the car until the 5 yrs are up. I know there are loop holes in the warranty but I'm way too busy to hassel with that. But when it comes to the car most reviewers (hotrod.com, carandrider.com, smokingtires.com, motortrend.com, etc...) say that the biggest problem with camaro is its inablity to hook from the start, so i figured just getting factory ZR1 wheels and tires would solve that. Agreed or no? That switch sould get me in the high 12s. I know thats no where near 11s but its a start.
For the wheel and tire question I would recommend hitting up the resident expert, Nine Ball. If I remember correctly, the Corvette wheels won't work on the 5th generation Camaros due to dimensional issues.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
SPYDERMAN1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 Victory Red
Best bang for your buck..... NOWEEDS exhaust diverters.
SPYDERMAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
VR Code R6P

Drives: 2011 Race Red GT500 w/ SVT Perf Pkg
Just go buy a slightly used Z06 instead......it will hold it's value better than modding up a Camaro.
VR Code R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
camaro2009
camaro2009

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 AGM 6M #0369
Send a message via Yahoo to camaro2009
I often wonder what GMPP mods are worth the money as well. When we purchased our 2010 this past December, we decided on the Exhaust mod, although it really has no power potential gains to speak of.... It sure did help the sound out a little. We are waiting on our warranty as well to run up. Although Im sure the 5 years will get here first. LOL. Not driving her to much, sure looks good in the shop though. Gets a little dusty, drive to car wash, clean her up, take her home. A car cover was another good investment from GMPP.......... now if I can just bring myself to cover her up. Oh shame on me
1974 Camaro Type LT
1995 Camaro Plum V-6 Auto 80k original miles

Traded the '10 SS for the BAD ASS 2013 ZL-1 AGM ,M-6 Once again the thanks go out to my wonderful wife and a chance encounter while servicing my Duramax!! Destiny......nope...FATE
camaro2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
KIZE
www.gkiser.com

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, Auto, Summit White. R
Get the gmpp exhaust. I can't imagine my camaro without cat back. Would also go for the cold air intake if that's an option now. When I bought mine in aprril '10, gm did notvquite offer their own cai.
KIZE is offline   Reply With Quote