Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
My Public Service Announcement - Credit Score!

Ok so since we have 2 months MINUMUM before anyone can even think about setting up financing on their new ride, now is the PERFECT time for you to check your credit score out.

Tip though.. Avoid freecreditreport.com and the other scams, there is ONE site you should go to.

http://www.annualcreditreport.com

That is the ONLY site endorsed by the government to allow you to contact all 3 credit reporting agencies and see whats on yoru credit report. 2+ months will hopefully be enough time for you to clear up any issues that may arise, and if you so choose these sites will also give you your score, for a fee. But the report is free at least.

Do it now before you are sitting at the dealership staring down an 11% interest rate because some shmuck opened 4 credit cards in your name. A better credit report will also help you get the best rate possible with your auto insurance company.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin

Last edited by Rogue Leader; 01-14-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Ok so since we have 2 months MINUMUM before anyone can even think about setting up financing on their new ride, now is the PERFECT time for you to check your credit score out.

Tip though.. Avoid freecreditreport.com and the other scams, there is ONE site you should go to.

http://www.annualcreditreport.com

That is the ONLY site endorsed by the government to allow you to contact all 3 credit reporting agencies and see whats on yoru credit report. 2+ months will hopefully be enough time for you to clear up any issues that may arise, and if you so choose these sites will also give you your score, for a fee. But the report is free at least.

Do it now before you are sitting at the dealership staring down an 11% interest rate because some shmuck opened 4 credit cards in your name. A better credit report will also help you get the best rate possible with your auto insurance company.
should I choose equifax, transunion or Experian when it asks you which companes to use?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Ry4nVan

Drives: Currently (Toyota Tacoma)
Yes. Thanks for mentioning this. When researching for my last vehicle, I was stupid enough to use free-credit-report.com to find out my credit score. It wasn't until about 4 months later that I realized free credit report isn't so ... 'free'

They were fraudently charging me $12.95 a month for something I never signed up for. They've had plenty of lawsuits about it but nothing big has ever come out of it because now they advertise this fee in small writing on their stupid commercials. They were taking my money without eveer asking straight from my bank account.

So I'm glad you brought this up... DO NOT USE FREE CREDIT REPORT.COM!!!!
Ry4nVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
should I choose equifax, transunion or Experian when it asks you which companes to use?
Check all 3, they are all free and it will allow you to try the others after completing one. Its is important for all 3 to be cleaned up as different finance companies can use any of the 3 services to rate your loan.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Doesn't really matter. The best idea is to do a different one every four months since you get 1 free report from each per year. Usually something will be in all three but not always.

I ran into trouble getting my report from one (it was finding someone that wasn't me) and they needed me to mail or fax crap in so I went to a different one instead since I didn't feel like going through the effort.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Drives: GM Toyz
I have had no problem with: www.truecredit.com
Old 01-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
Supermans

I heard that this hurts your credit score every time you do this..
Old 01-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
wrong. it doesnt, that would be like your bank pulling money from your account whenever you check your balance.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
I wouldn't check all 3. You get one free report from each company every year. I use it to check my report every four months to make sure everything is in order.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Doesn't really matter. The best idea is to do a different one every four months since you get 1 free report from each per year. Usually something will be in all three but not always.

I ran into trouble getting my report from one (it was finding someone that wasn't me) and they needed me to mail or fax crap in so I went to a different one instead since I didn't feel like going through the effort.
Woah! You should definitely clear that up if there is an issue. That same problem you are having a bank could have when trying to process a loan for you. You may have never had a problem in the past, but that doesn't mean it won't change in the future.

I had a problem with some of my dads accounts showing under my name (we have the same name different middle initial), since clearing that up we both make sure to always use our middle initial when signing up for anything.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 HRSS View Post
I have had no problem with: www.truecredit.com
Thats still a credit service you need to sign up for, annualcreditreport puts you into the free section imemdiately and does not require you to sign up for credit monitoring to access the site.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Negative, when you hit your credit personally it has no effect, as well if you apply for insurance and they hit your credit that has no effect, they are both soft hits.

What does affect your score is if you apply for any sort of loan or credit. Those are considered inquiries and DO absolutely affect your score.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
Supermans

Thanks, I just did the free credit report and have 0 issues..
Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #14
diddiyo

Drives: .
i only have a cc for a about 15 months now and checked my score for the first time two weeks ago. i was actually surprised about how high it already was.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #15
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I also use truecredit.com. Yes, I pay a small fee for the ability to check my credit as often as I want as well as get to view my credit score at all 3 agencies.

The yearly report you are entitled to for free does not include your score.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
i have myfico.com there pretty good

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #17
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
I don't see why anyone wouldn't use http://www.annualcreditreport.com, it's accurate and it's free. Hey, Rogue, is it true that even at annualcreditreport you have to pay a fee to see your FICO credit score?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #18
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
I started using this about two years ago. And even more in the last year since I knew I was getting the car. My score was about 650 when I had my house refinance two years ago. Now after taking care of some things on the report and staying current on my bills, I'm up to about 750. I had my bank (credit union) run a credit check for the amount I would need for the camaro and I now qualify for their best interest rate (about 5.50%)

Twenty years ago, the idea of anyone seeing their own report (and making changes to it) was unheard of. You pretty much took what was given to you. What a wonderful time we live in now

Sean
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #19
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Woah! You should definitely clear that up if there is an issue. That same problem you are having a bank could have when trying to process a loan for you. You may have never had a problem in the past, but that doesn't mean it won't change in the future.

I had a problem with some of my dads accounts showing under my name (we have the same name different middle initial), since clearing that up we both make sure to always use our middle initial when signing up for anything.
Naw, not worried. The automated thing didn't have enough info basically. It did the same thing to my friend. Last time I did it I had like no credit history so it was easily confused. I just tried and it's all good.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #20
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
This is definitely the way to go. However, I believe there are some mis-conceptions on this thread. As I undersand it, you are eligible only during ONE MONTH each year to get your report for free from this site. The month is dependent on your specific state. Therefore, you should select all three and pull them all. Each company may collect or report things differently. Therefore, it is possible that one would have an error and another one would not. So pull all three and review them for accuracy each year.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #21
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry4nVan View Post
Yes. Thanks for mentioning this. When researching for my last vehicle, I was stupid enough to use free-credit-report.com to find out my credit score. It wasn't until about 4 months later that I realized free credit report isn't so ... 'free'

They were fraudently charging me $12.95 a month for something I never signed up for. They've had plenty of lawsuits about it but nothing big has ever come out of it because now they advertise this fee in small writing on their stupid commercials. They were taking my money without eveer asking straight from my bank account.

So I'm glad you brought this up... DO NOT USE FREE CREDIT REPORT.COM!!!!
I'm the type of person that always reads the fine print and listens to everything in the commercials. They always say "offer applies with enrollment in triple advantage".... so I'm not sure why anyone would think it's "free"
SIM | A6 | Black 10-Spoke Wheels | ECF Hood Insert | Illuminated Footwells | Satin Nickel Fuel Door
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #22
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
I don't see why anyone wouldn't use http://www.annualcreditreport.com, it's accurate and it's free. Hey, Rogue, is it true that even at annualcreditreport you have to pay a fee to see your FICO credit score?
I got my credit report free, but had to pay $7.95 to actually get my FICO. Can't remember which site I started on, but I got my report from Equifax.

807.......I'll take it.
#296 Delivered 6-1-09 Dynoed 10-3-09 384.56HP 387.65TQ with the bolt-ons listed, no tune.....yet!
Roto-Fab CAI (Install pics here), Doug Thorley Shorties, Flowmaster American Thunder 409S Cat Back Vid
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #23
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
This is definitely the way to go. However, I believe there are some mis-conceptions on this thread. As I undersand it, you are eligible only during ONE MONTH each year to get your report for free from this site. The month is dependent on your specific state.
Nope, it is not eligible just one month out of the year. You can do it anytime you want.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #24
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
Yes all 3 agencies charge to see the score (its usually $7.95). The only free part is to check whats on your credit. However you can get a pretty good idea if youre screwed or not from that, since it has all the details. You will know what you need to fix (or what you are stuck with).

Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #25
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
This is definitely the way to go. However, I believe there are some mis-conceptions on this thread. As I undersand it, you are eligible only during ONE MONTH each year to get your report for free from this site. The month is dependent on your specific state. Therefore, you should select all three and pull them all. Each company may collect or report things differently. Therefore, it is possible that one would have an error and another one would not. So pull all three and review them for accuracy each year.
Not true, you are eligible once per agency per 12 month period (so if you do it August 10th you are not eligible again until August 10th of next year). But you can do it any month you want.

You are correct however that some have info or errors others do not, which is why its good to check up on all 3 at the same time.