Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Autos For Sale / Wanted

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
98_Camaro
The Purple People Eater
 
98_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Bright Purple Metallic V6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 1,194
FS: Rally Green 1969 Camaro RS/SS

After 15 years and innumerable drops of blood, sweat, and tears, my dad has decided to try to and sell his absolutely gorgeous 1969 Camaro, and since he's not interested in paying for AutoTrader, we're trying some cheaper [free] alternatives, and I figured that I'd offer those of you on C5 the first opportunity to nab it (or at least just show it off ).

This isn't your typical 1969 Camaro. A true RS/SS that has had countless hours put into restoring it to a prime condition. What it comes with:
- 489 stroker motor
- 700R4 (3k stall) automatic transmission w/ Overdrive
- 12 bold rearend (410 posi)
- Rally Sport appearance package
- Factory cluster gauges
- Air conditioning
- Power windows
- Power brakes
- Power steering
- Deluxe interior (Green)
- Fold-down backseat
- Rear-window defroster
- Original CA car (Black/yellow license place)
- Less than 3,000 miles on engine
- The most expensive paint the bodyshop ever produced
- Color-correct Rally Green (more gold flake as opposed to silver; a common issue with this color, part of the reason it was so expensive)

For comparison's sake, of the 243,085 1969 Camaro's produced:
-1,410 had the tachometer
-2,359 had the AM/FM stereo with 4 speakers
-3,058 had power windows
-4,397 had the fold-down back seat
-7,912 had the rear-window defroster
-20,330 had the electric clock
-44,737 has A/C (wasn't compatible with the h/o 396)
-141,607 had power steering
-34,392 were Super Sports
-37,773 were Rally Sports


With the exception of the engine, trans, and paint, these are all FACTORY-ORDERED OPTIONS, making this one of the rarest Camaro's to ever grace the roads. The 489 was hand-built with quality parts and tuned perfectly.
This is an award-winning car, tallying 3 if I remember correctly, and generates significant amounts of interest at car shows. It's even been featured in a Headman Headers catalog (a copy of which is included).

He's selling for a number of reasons, mainly being that he'd like to move on to a 2002 Camaro SS (6-speed ). I'm also going to college next year and having the extra money lying around would probably make him feel a little more comfortable about that. $80,000 o.b.o.

If you're still in your chair after that one, here's some pictures of the gem:






If you have any questions or are interested, feel free to drop me a PM. I'll get back to you ASAP. Located in Whittier, California.
__________________
1998 Bright Purple Metallic Camaro: 1 of 336
TEAM L99

Last edited by 98_Camaro; 12-08-2010 at 12:15 AM.
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Sahara
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,558
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
I think it would definitely help if the original drive train was available.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
2010 SSRS



 
2010 SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 123,977
WOW
__________________
Jannetty Racing JRE Street Package
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
BFxenon.com
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BFxenon.com
Posts: 462
Beautiful!! However... too rich for my blood!
BFxenon.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
98_Camaro
The Purple People Eater
 
98_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Bright Purple Metallic V6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
I think it would definitely help if the original drive train was available.
I agree that it would help, but the engine was already replaced when he picked it up 15 years ago. Since he couldn't tell whether it was originally a 350 or a 396, he just went with what he wanted, then figuring that a 489 looks identical to a 427 from the outside in, he put that monster in there and not without a lot of work.
__________________
1998 Bright Purple Metallic Camaro: 1 of 336
TEAM L99
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:46 AM   #6
Entaille

 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Everett
Posts: 995
wow what a car :]
__________________

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:47 AM   #7
ckaram

 
ckaram's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,630
NICE but never....

For a 100k there shouldn't be stickers on the windows...
__________________
1968 Camaro convertible, LS1 & T56, Texas Speed 228R cam, 3.42 posi, 17" Torque Thrusts
2011 2SS/RS, LS3, M6, IOM in and out, factory Hurst short throw, GMPP axleback exhaust
ckaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,232
In this market?
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
98_Camaro
The Purple People Eater
 
98_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Bright Purple Metallic V6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
In this market?
He's actually been offered fairly close to that, even more recently. A friend offered him $80,000 last year ($60,000 and $70,000 prior to that), and a guy at the Whittier Car Show back in August said he would match that or even take it higher.
It's not like he has to sell it immediately either. I think he's just testing the market right now to see if there are any takers. Something tells me that he could hold onto it for another couple years without breaking a sweat.
__________________
1998 Bright Purple Metallic Camaro: 1 of 336
TEAM L99
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
talwell

 
talwell's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Staten Island
Posts: 1,078
Wow...that is a really high price tag. I understand you say the car is really rare and being that I know 1969 Camaros fairly well I would be really curious to know what makes this car so rare. If it does have some about it that does make it exceptionally rare that may justify some of that pricetag. Being that a real 427 COPO can be had now for right around $100k it may be a tough sell but great luck and I look forward to hearing (seeing) more about this car.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
CC Performance
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ST Helens, OR
Posts: 1,777
You should contact Mecum and have them auction it.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #12
98_Camaro
The Purple People Eater
 
98_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Bright Purple Metallic V6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 1,194
Price reduction!!
Now for $80,000 obo.
__________________
1998 Bright Purple Metallic Camaro: 1 of 336
TEAM L99
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
talwell

 
talwell's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Staten Island
Posts: 1,078
Any more details on this car? What makes it rare? Why is it worth the asking price? I love 1969 Camaros and would love to hear more about this car.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #14
2SSRS-CGM
 
Drives: '13 Dusk SS M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
Any more details on this car? What makes it rare? Why is it worth the asking price? I love 1969 Camaros and would love to hear more about this car.





Beautiful car but I'm with this guy... There are 2 numbers matching Camaro's on Ebay one a 396 SS, and the other a Roger Peck 1 of 3 Pace Cars for 40k and 55k respectively. I'd also like to know why 80k rarity is on the plate?
__________________
Initial Success or Total Failure-US Army EOD
2013 Dusk Edition SS M6: Cold Air Inductions CAI, Ported/Polished Exhaust Manifolds, Corsa Sport, CTS-V brakes, Stoptech Slotted Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop SS brake lines, FR ZL1 Satin black wheels (20x10-20x11) Heritage Grill, ZL1 front rock Guards and 69 SS badges front, rear, and sides, tinted marker lights and windows.
2SSRS-CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #15
98_Camaro
The Purple People Eater
 
98_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Bright Purple Metallic V6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
Any more details on this car? What makes it rare? Why is it worth the asking price? I love 1969 Camaros and would love to hear more about this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS-CGM View Post




Beautiful car but I'm with this guy... There are 2 numbers matching Camaro's on Ebay one a 396 SS, and the other a Roger Peck 1 of 3 Pace Cars for 40k and 55k respectively. I'd also like to know why 80k rarity is on the plate?
I think the rarity comes from the staggering number of options it has. Of the 243,085 1969 Camaro's produced:
-1,410 had the tachometer
-2,359 had the AM/FM stereo with 4 speakers
-3,058 had power windows
-4,397 had the fold-down back seat
-7,912 had the rear-window defroster
-20,330 had the electric clock
-44,737 has A/C (wasn't compatible with the h/o 396)
-141,607 had power steering
-34,392 were Super Sports
-37,773 were Rally Sports
~144,000 had power breaks (I'd break it down into drum and disc, but I'm unsure of what it came with)
I'm missing a few things here and there, but I think you guys get the point.

Other than the options and the quality of the restoration- a very large majority of the parts are original GM parts that were gathered over the years and the paint job alone took six months to complete- the only thing I can personally say about the car is that it has an 8-liter engine and an A/C compressor under the hood.
Now- I'm not going to lie- the Roger Peck Camaro is a beautiful car, but the only thing that really seems to set it apart is the VIN ending in 500 (what I managed to pull together after a quick Google search). If I found the same one you're talking about, it has the added value of being a 396 pace car, but it doesn't mention the power windows, fold-down backseat, or stereo.
What we're comparing here is really apples and oranges. A pace car is a pace car, and while there are some distinguishing features between them, they're all very similar at the end of the day. What we have for sale here is a rarity in that the collection of options were not normally packaged together. Does that make the car worth $80,000? Not necessarily, but we have had offers at that price, so it's safe to assume that someone somewhere is willing to pay that. Is this going to be a quick sell? No, but it's never too early to start trying.
__________________
1998 Bright Purple Metallic Camaro: 1 of 336
TEAM L99
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Camaro View Post
I think the rarity comes from the staggering number of options it has. Of the 243,085 1969 Camaro's produced:
-1,410 had the tachometer
-2,359 had the AM/FM stereo with 4 speakers
-3,058 had power windows
-4,397 had the fold-down back seat
-7,912 had the rear-window defroster
-20,330 had the electric clock
-44,737 has A/C (wasn't compatible with the h/o 396)
-141,607 had power steering
-34,392 were Super Sports
-37,773 were Rally Sports
~144,000 had power breaks (I'd break it down into drum and disc, but I'm unsure of what it came with)
I'm missing a few things here and there, but I think you guys get the point.

Other than the options and the quality of the restoration- a very large majority of the parts are original GM parts that were gathered over the years and the paint job alone took six months to complete- the only thing I can personally say about the car is that it has an 8-liter engine and an A/C compressor under the hood.
Now- I'm not going to lie- the Roger Peck Camaro is a beautiful car, but the only thing that really seems to set it apart is the VIN ending in 500 (what I managed to pull together after a quick Google search). If I found the same one you're talking about, it has the added value of being a 396 pace car, but it doesn't mention the power windows, fold-down backseat, or stereo.
What we're comparing here is really apples and oranges. A pace car is a pace car, and while there are some distinguishing features between them, they're all very similar at the end of the day. What we have for sale here is a rarity in that the collection of options were not normally packaged together. Does that make the car worth $80,000? Not necessarily, but we have had offers at that price, so it's safe to assume that someone somewhere is willing to pay that. Is this going to be a quick sell? No, but it's never too early to start trying.
The fact that the car has not been restored to original condition, is not numbers matching and has no docs over-rides the amount of options the car has/had. Such a vehicle has diminished value in the eyes of collectors. I inspect many 1st gens for myself (and others) and I have never seen a correctly restored, numbers matching, documented SS/RS L78 car sell for 100K.

In my humble opinion, this is a 40K car in today's market (being very generous). If you have an offer at 80K, don't be stupid - jump on it!
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #17
Gramps69Z
Still waiting on the Z
 
Gramps69Z's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Z/28, 06 Denali, 09 CTS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Destin FL
Posts: 1,652
Send a message via AIM to Gramps69Z Send a message via Yahoo to Gramps69Z
Nice car, just for my information where did you get the number of 37,773 1969 RS's built?
__________________
1 year, 5 months to go!
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
2006 Denali
2009 Cadillac CTS


The Six Old Guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
The last thing we want is to ship something that isn't right.
Gramps69Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
HondaPowered
 
HondaPowered's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 Honda Civic LX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
The fact that the car has not been restored to original condition, is not numbers matching and has no docs over-rides the amount of options the car has/had. Such a vehicle has diminished value in the eyes of collectors. I inspect many 1st gens for myself (and others) and I have never seen a correctly restored, numbers matching, documented SS/RS L78 car sell for 100K.

In my humble opinion, this is a 40K car in today's market (being very generous). If you have an offer at 80K, don't be stupid - jump on it!
+1
__________________
Saving up for a camaro.

Dream camaro is either a 1/2SS with RS, black with red stripes, or red with white stripes.

No rice with my order.
HondaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
98_Camaro
The Purple People Eater
 
98_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Bright Purple Metallic V6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
The fact that the car has not been restored to original condition, is not numbers matching and has no docs over-rides the amount of options the car has/had. Such a vehicle has diminished value in the eyes of collectors. I inspect many 1st gens for myself (and others) and I have never seen a correctly restored, numbers matching, documented SS/RS L78 car sell for 100K.

In my humble opinion, this is a 40K car in today's market (being very generous). If you have an offer at 80K, don't be stupid - jump on it!
The guy who offered $80k came in before he was trying to sell, and when my dad went to him, he had already bought a '71 Chevelle.
I respect your input, but I feel confident that we can get relatively close to what we're asking. From a collector's standpoint, it might not be worth that much, but to somebody looking for one HELL of a ride, it can be a dream come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
Nice car, just for my information where did you get the number of 37,773 1969 RS's built?
From "Chevrolet Camaro 1967-1972" by William Burt. It has all of the RPO's, units, and prices for every option on the Camaro from 1967 to 1972.
__________________
1998 Bright Purple Metallic Camaro: 1 of 336
TEAM L99
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,232
Just curious, what's with the front of the quarters? Without looking under the hood, at the interior or underneath, I see 20K worth of work to get it to 50K.

Best of luck to you selling it but it's going to be tough bro.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #21
midnighter
Account Suspended
 
Drives: nothing
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: a hole
Posts: 21,173
$80,000?? I bought the same car last year for only $19.99....


I still gotta put it together
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #22
98_Camaro
The Purple People Eater
 
98_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Bright Purple Metallic V6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Just curious, what's with the front of the quarters? Without looking under the hood, at the interior or underneath, I see 20K worth of work to get it to 50K.

Best of luck to you selling it but it's going to be tough bro.
Nothing's wrong with the quarter panels. If it isn't the lighting, it's that Image Shack resized the pictures when I uploaded them. These were upwards of 2,000x3,000 and 3MB. I had to resize them once to fit the 1.5MB upload limit, and IS did it again to cram them into 1024x683.
The only thing that is visibly wrong is the headlight covers being crooked, which I guess no one bothered to smooth out that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
$80,000?? I bought the same car last year for only $19.99....


I still gotta put it together

Good luck on the build.
__________________
1998 Bright Purple Metallic Camaro: 1 of 336
TEAM L99
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #23
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Camaro View Post
Nothing's wrong with the quarter panels. If it isn't the lighting, it's that Image Shack resized the pictures when I uploaded them. These were upwards of 2,000x3,000 and 3MB. I had to resize them once to fit the 1.5MB upload limit, and IS did it again to cram them into 1024x683.
The only thing that is visibly wrong is the headlight covers being crooked, which I guess no one bothered to smooth out that day.
Your quarter panels are missing the scallops. Compare your car with this one. Someone either used a Firebird quarter to patch your quarters or someone just used standard sheetmetal.



__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #24
98_Camaro
The Purple People Eater
 
98_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Bright Purple Metallic V6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Your quarter panels are missing the scallops. Compare your car with this one. Someone either used a Firebird quarter to patch your quarters or someone just used standard sheetmetal.



Oh, I thought you meant the front quarter panels.
In all honesty, you're the first person to ever notice the gills/scallops were missing. It wasn't done by mistake; the old man didn't like them in '69 when he saw the car, didn't like them in '95 when he bought the car, and didn't like them in 2004 when he repainted the car, so he had them removed.
__________________
1998 Bright Purple Metallic Camaro: 1 of 336
TEAM L99
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #25
Entaille

 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Everett
Posts: 995
that is such a defining feature of the 69 camaro - it's the reason the 5th gen has the gills as well.
__________________

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SEMA Show 2010 - New Camaro Products Showcase - pictures & descriptions! Sean@Phastek Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 59 06-23-2011 12:56 PM
Over 230 Satisfied 2010 Camaro Customers! Paddock Chevrolet has 40 in stock NOW camarojoe Dealer Camaros for Sale 2 05-24-2010 05:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.