Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 267
weight reduction options

I went throught the performance upgrades list and picked out my options there, But I would like to see a list of Weight reduction options that do not affect driver confort, I am of course comparing to the options on the mustang like
Aluminum Drive Shaft
Radiator support
K member brace
things like this. I want to make my Camaro loose a few hundred pounds without touching the inside stuff like seats ect..

Any Ideas? Links and prices?
__________________
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband
 
vinman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 Jack-O-Lantern
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Elmira, NY
Posts: 2,367
skip the drive thru for a few months
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
skip the drive thru for a few months
Already started that one, oh and Gym Membership (Check)
Still need the car to loose a few pounds.
__________________
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
I went throught the performance upgrades list and picked out my options there, But I would like to see a list of Weight reduction options that do not affect driver confort, I am of course comparing to the options on the mustang like
Aluminum Drive Shaft
Radiator support
K member brace
things like this. I want to make my Camaro loose a few hundred pounds without touching the inside stuff like seats ect..

Any Ideas? Links and prices?
The stock exhaust manifolds and mufflers are worth about 50lbs if you replace them all.

You could switch from the stock solid sway bars to hollow pieces for about 15-20lbs

The rotors could be replaced with two-piece units, and the wheels could be swapped out, too and possibly save about 10-15lbs per corner.

If you want to get down to the nitty-gritty, you could remove the floor pan and mat of the trunk, the engine cover, and the owner's manual ().

EDIT: But they say 10hp is worth 100lbs in the quarter mile. So I would recommend you save a few thousand dollars and install drop springs, hollow sways, a cat-back exhaust, and a good CAI.

That'll loose 50-75lbs and gain maybe 15-20hp.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper
 
Kyle2k's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 3,242
There is also a K-member that drops 35 lbs but alas it is ~$1800
__________________
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 267
What is the weight differance between the Brembos on the SS and standard brakes on the base V8? dropping down a rim size would save weight as well.

wow 1800 for a K member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The stock exhaust manifolds and mufflers are worth about 50lbs if you replace them all.

You could switch from the stock solid sway bars to hollow pieces for about 15-20lbs

The rotors could be replaced with two-piece units, and the wheels could be swapped out, too and possibly save about 10-15lbs per corner.

If you want to get down to the nitty-gritty, you could remove the floor pan and mat of the trunk, the engine cover, and the owner's manual ().

EDIT: But they say 10hp is worth 100lbs in the quarter mile. So I would recommend you save a few thousand dollars and install drop springs, hollow sways, a cat-back exhaust, and a good CAI.

That'll loose 50-75lbs and gain maybe 15-20hp.
Dosent seem worth it does it. Better off just making more power... Bummer
I was trying to keep the motor as stock as possable, I was going to get a CAI and mufflers and keep it that way.
__________________
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband
 
vinman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 Jack-O-Lantern
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Elmira, NY
Posts: 2,367
Brembos are standard on the V8's
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Brembos are standard on the V8's
Right but you can get them without the brembos correct...
__________________
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
Dosent seem worth it does it. Better off just making more power... Bummer

I was trying to keep the motor as stock as possable, I was going to get a CAI and mufflers and keep it that way.
It really isn't. Especially when the engine is so sensitive to mods. Headers and a tune will usually edit upwards of 50 hp!

It's cool to reduce weight...but it costs tons of money to take out any significant amount, which could be more efficiently used to bump power and handling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
Right but you can get them without the brembos correct...
Nope. Every SS Camaro has Brembo brakes. They're optional on the Mustang....
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,583
It's not cheap or easy to take out weight and keep the car nice; I know because I'm doing it. It's basically cheaper, quicker and easier to boot on power IF the only thing you're looking for is straight-line acceleration. If you want a total driving experience upgrade, then chassis, suspension, drivetrain upgrades make the car a pure joy to drive even with basically stock power.

Depends on what you're looking for.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,428
A lot of performance mods you would do anyways also reduce weight. LT headers and cat backs are considerably lighter than stock. One of the reasons Pfadt suspension components are as good as they are is that they are considerably lighter than stock. If you are planning to add aftermarket wheels then there is a great opportunity to shed considerable unsprung weight. And Seibon offers very high quality carbon fiber body panels. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up, I can hook you up with most all of these things.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
A lot of performance mods you would do anyways also reduce weight. LT headers and cat backs are considerably lighter than stock. One of the reasons Pfadt suspension components are as good as they are is that they are considerably lighter than stock. If you are planning to add aftermarket wheels then there is a great opportunity to shed considerable unsprung weight. And Seibon offers very high quality carbon fiber body panels. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up, I can hook you up with most all of these things.

Glad to see you included wheels. That's an easy way to drop 30+ lbs of rotating mass from the car.
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #13
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post

Glad to see you included wheels. That's an easy way to drop 30+ lbs of rotating mass from the car.
Reducing rotating mass and unsprung weight is huge for performance.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
EJ255
 
Drives: Subaru
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GM Accessories Dep.
Posts: 5
a performance clutch and lightweight flywheel is another way to drop 15+lbs off the rotating mass, but at the expense of reduced drivability...
__________________
2007 Subaru WRX
Built by: Me
Tuned by: Me
EJ255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
Topdown
The wait is over!
 
Topdown's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,081
you could save a sh*tload of weight if you go with carbon fiber doors... I think the CF doors weigh 20lbs versus the massive bricks that are attached to your car right now... CF hood and trunk lid might save you some weight as well... really high-end forged wheels can save you 20lbs per corner...
__________________
Ordered - 4/17/2010
Delivered - 5/29/2010

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #16
jpizzle007
 
jpizzle007's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 LS3, '11 328i, '78 El Camino
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Joe's House. Joe Mamma's.
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
I went throught the performance upgrades list and picked out my options there, But I would like to see a list of Weight reduction options that do not affect driver confort, I am of course comparing to the options on the mustang like
Aluminum Drive Shaft
Radiator support
K member brace
things like this. I want to make my Camaro loose a few hundred pounds without touching the inside stuff like seats ect..

Any Ideas? Links and prices?
Slim faxt and P90x
__________________
Custom stainless steel catch-can, Halltech Yellow Jacket CAI, T-304 MBRP 3" CB, Solo HiFlow Cats, TSW Interlagos Matte Black, Nitto Invos 275/315, SkipShift Eliminator, MGW ShortThrow Shifter, Flux Capacitor - fully tweeked
jpizzle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #17
rally yellow ss rs
 
rally yellow ss rs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS RS
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpizzle007 View Post
Slim faxt and P90x

Theres a lot of fat joke refrences going in here...are you?If so, yeah lose weight is cheaper, healthier, but keep in mind...the better you look the more you will have girls wanting to go fast in your car with you. You lose 50 and get cut, and now a 110lb girl is in the mix.
rally yellow ss rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #18
BlissStreet
High Plains Drifter
 
BlissStreet's Avatar
 
Drives: Captiva 3.2, Aveo 1.6
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: JHB, RSA
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by rally yellow ss rs View Post
Theres a lot of fat joke refrences going in here...are you?If so, yeah lose weight is cheaper, healthier, but keep in mind...the better you look the more you will have girls wanting to go fast in your car with you. You lose 50 and get cut, and now a 110lb girl is in the mix.
Strange logic....yet makes sense. Hood and trunk then, lol.
__________________
Some guys they just give up living | And start dying little by little, piece by piece | Some guys come home from work and wash up | And go racin' in the street
BlissStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #19
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,583
Compared to what CF body panels cost, you'll get a much better bang for the buck spending that on reducing unsprung rotating weight. The best places to start are lighter wheels, brake rotors and driveshaft. For the wheels and rotors the effect of removing just 5 lbs per wheel is like removing 100 lbs of sprung weight.

Wheels are a very personal choice and investment but keep in mind bigger = heavier and the ratio works in the other direction too... adding 5 lbs on the wheels has the same effect as adding 100 lbs to the car. Bigger wheels also require bigger tires which add weight too. Even if you get a bigger wheel that weighs the same as the stock wheel (which will cost a lot btw) you'll still see a slight penalty because the farther away from the center the weight is, the more power it takes to get it moving and stop it.

Dropping from a 20 to a 19 or even an 18 will get you a thumbs-down from the "looks" crowd, but you'll gain quicker acceleration, shorter braking distances, and better cornering. The race crowd will know what you've done and take you more seriously because a serious performance driver knows the advantages of reduced unsprung weight.

There's a terrific set of brake rotors from Racing Brake that are for the SS Camaros, look killer, perform killer with no brake fade even under repeated hard stops, and they weigh about 6 lbs less than the stock rotors. Removing a total of 24 lbs of weight like that has an effect you notice immediately. The car feels lighter and accelerates quicker; especially if it's already rolling.

Take another 5-10 lbs off each corner with lighter wheels and tires, and the car responds like you removed 200-300 lbs from the car.

I'm working on getting a CF driveshaft which hopefully I'll have in the next 4 weeks or so and I'll be able to tell you what the actual performance benefit will be and I'll get a dyno to have some hard numbers to show.

Those three areas are the easiest to address and will make the most noticeable difference. Get the rear cradle and diff bushings upgraded too while you're at it. Doesn't change the weight really, but it makes a world of difference in the way the car handles and performs.

Start there. You can always replace body panels later if you still want to reduce weight and still have money left. Don't compromise car safety though; the doors are designed to handle side impacts and protect you in a collision. Make sure an upgrade is truly an upgrade and not just a ricer mod.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Compared to what CF body panels cost, you'll get a much better bang for the buck spending that on reducing unsprung rotating weight. The best places to start are lighter wheels, brake rotors and driveshaft. For the wheels and rotors the effect of removing just 5 lbs per wheel is like removing 100 lbs of sprung weight.

Wheels are a very personal choice and investment but keep in mind bigger = heavier and the ratio works in the other direction too... adding 5 lbs on the wheels has the same effect as adding 100 lbs to the car. Bigger wheels also require bigger tires which add weight too. Even if you get a bigger wheel that weighs the same as the stock wheel (which will cost a lot btw) you'll still see a slight penalty because the farther away from the center the weight is, the more power it takes to get it moving and stop it.

Dropping from a 20 to a 19 or even an 18 will get you a thumbs-down from the "looks" crowd, but you'll gain quicker acceleration, shorter braking distances, and better cornering. The race crowd will know what you've done and take you more seriously because a serious performance driver knows the advantages of reduced unsprung weight.

There's a terrific set of brake rotors from Racing Brake that are for the SS Camaros, look killer, perform killer with no brake fade even under repeated hard stops, and they weigh about 6 lbs less than the stock rotors. Removing a total of 24 lbs of weight like that has an effect you notice immediately. The car feels lighter and accelerates quicker; especially if it's already rolling.

Take another 5-10 lbs off each corner with lighter wheels and tires, and the car responds like you removed 200-300 lbs from the car.

I'm working on getting a CF driveshaft which hopefully I'll have in the next 4 weeks or so and I'll be able to tell you what the actual performance benefit will be and I'll get a dyno to have some hard numbers to show.

Those three areas are the easiest to address and will make the most noticeable difference. Get the rear cradle and diff bushings upgraded too while you're at it. Doesn't change the weight really, but it makes a world of difference in the way the car handles and performs.

Start there. You can always replace body panels later if you still want to reduce weight and still have money left. Don't compromise car safety though; the doors are designed to handle side impacts and protect you in a collision. Make sure an upgrade is truly an upgrade and not just a ricer mod.
This advice is good!!
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #21
nolimits76
 
Drives: '07 Titan CC
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: 36°07′53″N 95°56′14″W
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Wheels are a very personal choice and investment but keep in mind bigger = heavier and the ratio works in the other direction too... adding 5 lbs on the wheels has the same effect as adding 100 lbs to the car. Bigger wheels also require bigger tires which add weight too. Even if you get a bigger wheel that weighs the same as the stock wheel (which will cost a lot btw) you'll still see a slight penalty because the farther away from the center the weight is, the more power it takes to get it moving and stop it.

Dropping from a 20 to a 19 or even an 18 will get you a thumbs-down from the "looks" crowd, but you'll gain quicker acceleration, shorter braking distances, and better cornering. The race crowd will know what you've done and take you more seriously because a serious performance driver knows the advantages of reduced unsprung weight.
All the advice given by Doc was great.

In particular is the wheel advice. However, proceed with caution if you go down in size and DON'T address the brakes. I believe the Brembo's big size makes it difficult to go with much smaller wheels. At least that is what I have been reading for guys wanting to swap to a different set of wheels/tires for the winter time (right now I'm searching for the perfect Camaro to buy).
__________________
“Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter.”
nolimits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
All the advice given by Doc was great.

In particular is the wheel advice. However, proceed with caution if you go down in size and DON'T address the brakes. I believe the Brembo's big size makes it difficult to go with much smaller wheels. At least that is what I have been reading for guys wanting to swap to a different set of wheels/tires for the winter time (right now I'm searching for the perfect Camaro to buy).
Check the offset, but I want to say that a normally-proportioned 18" have fit fine for most guys around here.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #23
woodside783
Casey Woodside
 
woodside783's Avatar
 
Drives: W/28
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tn
Posts: 1,360
can you guys name some wheel companys? and the size that would work with the stock ss breaks?
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #24
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783 View Post
can you guys name some wheel companys? and the size that would work with the stock ss breaks?
Talk with Nineball or Indpower on the forum; they'll be able to hook you up with just about any style/size wheel you like and they know what fits an SS.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #25
woodside783
Casey Woodside
 
woodside783's Avatar
 
Drives: W/28
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tn
Posts: 1,360
ok thaanks doc
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Over 230 Satisfied 2010 Camaro Customers! Paddock Chevrolet has 40 in stock NOW camarojoe Dealer Camaros for Sale 2 05-24-2010 06:58 PM
weight loss CamaroSpike23 Off-topic Discussions 8 09-17-2009 08:16 PM
Camaro Weight JeepinMatt 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 62 03-26-2008 10:17 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.