Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Sizzox
Most Known Unknown

Drives: 08 Vette
Send a message via AIM to Sizzox
GM Cuts Advertising Budget By 20%. Camaro & Equinox to get most of available resource

General Motors has slashed its advertising budget by 20% for 2009, according to Ed Peper, VP at Chevrolet. Still, there are at least two new products that are coming from Chevrolet this year, and both of them will need a big head start if they're going to make headway in this luke-warm market. After all, a botched or mistimed launch is something that could easily bring GM to its knees. For this reason, most of the available resources will be spent on the new 2009 Camaro and the upcoming Equinox, which sees a completely refreshed design for the new year.

What of Chevy's other models? GM can't really afford successful products like the Malibu to fall out of the public eye. So Peper says the automaker will rely heavily on its local dealerships to continue an advertising blitz on the mid-size sedan along with the rest of the Bow Tie's product line.

Autoblog
I would kill for a gale banks diesel powered camaro. I would have so much torque and power that whenever I go to parades I would be physically able to throw torque out the window like candy for the kids.
Sizzox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
how the hell you expect to sell if you don't get the word out

Goddamn it... I am sick of seeing car commercials that start about by saying "On the all-new 2009 Hyundai Genesis"

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
The dealers around here suck at advertising...I swear I've seen last-gen Malibus shown instead of the NBS Malibu...

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
SS One

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I heard that GM will be advertising during the Super Bowl. Maybe we'll get a Camaro commercial.
SS One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Ooo... a comercial during the Superbowl would be cool. Could you imagine how expensive that timeslot would be though?... Youch!!!
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
I'm sick and tired of seeing those dumb ass Dodge Ram commercials with explosions or Howie Long asking the Dodge guy if he gets a manicure because the steering wheel on the Dodge truck is heated.

Enough of the truck commercials, do you think a rancher, farmer or construction worker needs a commercial to make up their minds that they need a truck. Who the hell are they still trying to sell these things too anyway???

Maybe they need to take a long hard look at what cars are important to their future and concentrate on that. I don't need to see any more truck commercials.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
I honestly can not wait until I see the first ever 2010 Camaro commercial. It needs to be out of this world. The commercial must evoke every emotion the human mind has. Chills running down your spine, blood pumping faster and faster threw your veins… Something that’s so “badassery” that evil can’t look it in the face…

Name:  evil-smiley-face.jpg
Views: 2838
Size:  25.2 KB

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

I don't disagree but I think that's Chrysler's strongest product, and in thinking that, I can see why they are working so hard at pushing it. As old as that gets, I guess I don't blame them too much.

All I can say is I love TiVo/DVRs!
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
Old 01-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
stratman
Goldmember

Drives: 06 CTS-V
The number one and number two selling vehicles in the U.S. last year were the F-150 and the Silverado (in that order). They don't advertise to convince a rancher he needs a truck. They do it to convince a lawyer, accountant, teacher or engineer he/she needs a truck. Looking forward to the Camaro commercials hopefully in the Superbowl.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
I honestly can not wait until I see the first ever 2010 Camaro commercial. It needs to be out of this world. The commercial must evoke every emotion the human mind has. Chills running down your spine, blood pumping faster and faster threw your veins… Something that’s so “badassery” that evil can’t look it in the face…

Attachment 12872
I think GM only needs this attachment and a little caption for Camaro to get the point across
Old 01-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
I'm sick and tired of seeing those dumb ass Dodge Ram commercials with explosions or Howie Long asking the Dodge guy if he gets a manicure because the steering wheel on the Dodge truck is heated.

Enough of the truck commercials, do you think a rancher, farmer or construction worker needs a commercial to make up their minds that they need a truck. Who the hell are they still trying to sell these things too anyway???

Maybe they need to take a long hard look at what cars are important to their future and concentrate on that. I don't need to see any more truck commercials.
They advertise in order to make sure that the people who need a truck buy from Chevy rather than Ford, Dodge, or toyota. And since trucks are among GM's most profitable vehicles, I would think they'd advertise those a great deal.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #12
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
The Southern California Chevy dealers suck at advertising. They have this one commercial for a new Malibu using a crotchety, obnoxious radio DJ character to pitch the car. I'm sure it is scaring more buyers away than it is attracting. I know GM is hurting for cash but depending on your dealers (we've seen how truly incompetent they can be) to represent you is a risky move.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
liquidfire350

Drives: 2010 Black SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
i actually thought the one where he was making fun of the little extra step on the F-150's tailgate was kinda funny
liquidfire350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #14
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I'll drive a camaro with GM advertisements on it for free.

Ship it to the following address: lol...

Actually I have seen the driving ad things (for other businesses) but they kinda went away after the gas bubble rose.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
ablanco

Drives: 04 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Ooo... a comercial during the Superbowl would be cool. Could you imagine how expensive that timeslot would be though?... Youch!!!
I heard on the local sport radio channel that a 30 second spot on the Super Bowl will run you a cool 3 million dollars. Normally commericials run for 45 seconds to 1 min. Hopefully GM spends some cash on the Super Bowl ad if their is one.
ablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #16
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablanco View Post
I heard on the local sport radio channel that a 30 second spot on the Super Bowl will run you a cool 3 million dollars. Normally commericials run for 45 seconds to 1 min. Hopefully GM spends some cash on the Super Bowl ad if their is one.
While I'd love to see a Camaro commercial during the Super Bowl, I'd just hate to hear from all the media about how GM is wasting the loan money that was given to them to keep them operating. Anyone remember the fallout that Chrysler had when they ran full-page thank you ads after getting approval for the loans?

How in the hell is GM supposed to sell these cars if they can't spend money to tell people about them?
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #17
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
While I'd love to see a Camaro commercial during the Super Bowl, I'd just hate to hear from all the media about how GM is wasting the loan money that was given to them to keep them operating. Anyone remember the fallout that Chrysler had when they ran full-page thank you ads after getting approval for the loans?

How in the hell is GM supposed to sell these cars if they can't spend money to tell people about them?
but the best advertising ...will be when we get our cars and people see and hear them on the streets...
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #18
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I'm an insanely selfish SOB apparently. I want GM to have great success with this and other cars because I want them to be able to continue to service them. But I don't want people to see them until they see 'ME IN MINE!!!! Muuuuhaaaaaahhhaaaaaaahhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
:fighting0040:
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #19
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Damn

Man just reading that got me pumped, maybe you should aid in the creation of the new commercials

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post

Attachment 12872
D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
Cyberfan

Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
Corvette NEVER runs ads. GM makes money on them, but sales are such a small % that I think it is like a drop in the bucket.

But a lot of people still don't know about the Camaro, much less what it looks like. Once they see it on TV, it may start to sell itself. And I think there have been some ugly Camaros and Firebirds over the years, so no blind brand loyalty here!! But this one is a home run!!
Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote