Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #51
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by a6pk2go View Post
Maybe but what if your insurance see how much it costs to replace one? We may be able to get by the first time but I think they put a clause in there after the replacement. Just my guess on the way the world turns on us at times. After all the BIGGEST buildings I have seen in cities are banks and insurance offices.
My insurance replaces windshields with 0 deductable. I'm pretty sure it's Florida law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
I don't see what the big deal is with hud... its kinda pointless, and why wouldn't you want to look at the beautiful speedometer on the camaro?
Have you driven a vehicle fast with a hud? Much easier and safer with the hud. Is it a necessity, no, but a very nice feature.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #52
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4ce View Post

And...to let you know...Professional Race Drivers use the HUD that is the latter one in my original post
No they don't. If you've ever road raced a car you know there are much more important things to worry about than your speed and RPMs. Race drivers know the RPMs by the sound of the engine, and they could care less about their speed at the time thats what telemetry is for. Heck, most of the cars I've raced didn't even have a speedometer!

The ONLY professional racers that use any sort of HUD is in Formula 1 where they have just begun mounting shift lights in the helmets, other than that nobody uses it and nobody will be, or they already would have by now.

This is not to take away from the HUD, I like it, I had it in my Vette, and I shut it off whenever I raced it. It is WAY too distracting to be useful on the track.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #53
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post
It's been talked about before the windshield is specialy made and cost much more than the regular windshield, you may be able to put some kind of specialy made reflective tape on the regular windshield to make it work but no one knows for sure.
It works without the coated windshield (its kind of like a polarizing coating if youve ever seen it), however its much less defined. People have been doing the conversion on Vettes for years.

As for Insurance, they are not going to drop you or raise your coverage due to the HUD windshield, on the Vette its a $150 price difference, the standard Vette windshield is already $795 so its not that big of a deal. There have been other cars in the past with more expensive pieces of glass on them (4th gen hatches for instance). Nothing to worry about.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #54
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: Blown beast.
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Interesting debate. I don't know. I think if you're racing, you should be experienced enough to feel the car and not be too worried about your speed. Don't look at your speed until it's safe to do so.
I know It would drive me crazy to have one of those aftermarket 'suitcases' sitting on my dash.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #55
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
HUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDD!!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #56
jordan 572

Drives: none
is navigation oked to come out in 2011 or is that just a rumor
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #57
dirksanchez

Drives: honda civic
+1 on hud and nav.

Used to have HUD on my 99 grandprix and even though it only showed mph and the radio station, I miss it. The more toys in my car, the happier I am.

I'd love to give GM some money and help them out, but if they won't offer the hud and nav until 2011 then I'm just going to have to take my chances.
dirksanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #58
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Navigation has not been confirmed, denied, or even mentioned at all by the Camaro team, Not only that the dash is obviously not even set up to be able to add it. Don't hold your breath.