Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
mike@newera

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss L99 A6
Revision to New Era OTR intake make more horsepower!!

In an effort to continually improve our products through research and development, we made some minor changes to address the inconsistant driveability issue with our kit on the stock tune almost a year ago the MAF sensor location, and have since then not had any feedback reported with stock calibration installs. However, we still reccomend a custom tune because every vehicle responds differently and it will maximize efficiency, and anyone that is a tuner should reccomend a tune with any intake install if they are doing their job.

So, how could we continue to further improve this unique product? Well, not only did we make an improvement that gained 2-4 rwhp in back to back testing on the same car today on 4 dyno pulls all done within one hour for accurate testing, but our current customers that already own one of our OTR intake systems can also do this themself! A simple change to the air filter position, by taking out the air filter and reassemlbing it installed in the opposite direction, it increases airbox volume by over 15%! And allows more direct airflow from the air filter to the eliptical tube entrance.

Here is a picture of how the air filter is now positioned, protruding outwards instead of inwards:

Here are the dynographs of the testing:

The testing was done with our shop project car which is an L99 with cam and heads, here is what the graphs represent:

Runfile 001 = We installed a brand new production OTR intake off the shelf, and dynoed it
Runfile 002 = We reassembled the intake with the air filter in the opposite direction
Runfile 003 = We pulled a different production OTR intake off the shelf (for sake of comparison and consistancy between production products) and installed it the way it was
Runfile 004 = We then also reassembled this kit with the air filter in the opposite direction

All testing was done in the exact same conditions, same car, within about 1 hour of time, so the results are very accurate, AFR did not effect the power increase.

For our current customers that are using one of our systems, if you are going to do this alteration, please either clean the filter extensively, or purchase a new air filter for your kit to prevent debris entering the engine.

Last edited by mike@newera; 12-08-2010 at 04:59 PM.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Even though I run a different OTR, it's nice to see any vendor listen to the customer and make improvements. Kudos

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
I agree! I had one of New Era's early production units last year and I returned it due to drivability issues. I didn't want to tune and it became apparent that a tune was the only thing that would help. Mike & I didn't quite see eye to eye at the time but that's water over the bridge! I'm really glad he's working out the bugs and passing on the improvements to his customers!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
daxavier

Drives: 2012 AGM 1SS
I'm planning on upgrading to a 102mm throttle body eventually. If I buy this intake with the OEM TB will it still fit when I make the switch?
daxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Its between this and vararam- What was the baseline of this car with mods besides the intake? trying to gauge what gains the intake sees.
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
mike@newera

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxavier View Post
I'm planning on upgrading to a 102mm throttle body eventually. If I buy this intake with the OEM TB will it still fit when I make the switch?
You will just need to change the silicone coupler, that's it.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
mike@newera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
Its between this and vararam- What was the baseline of this car with mods besides the intake? trying to gauge what gains the intake sees.
Ummm, Vararam is in your sig already...
Old 11-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
So, almost a year ago, ya'll changed the position of the MAF sensor? Do you have any before/after pics of that change? I'm sure I have the earlier version, but would like to see what the difference is. I haven't had any drivability issues that I have noticed, but then again, I am still using that airflow plate thingy too that sorta blocks some of the direct airflow. Maybe that's why I haven't seen any issues. I will definitely flip my air filter around, thanks for the tip, this is the first I've heard of that!!!

Edit: Actually, according to the dates, that MAF Sensor change would have been almost two years ago now!!! I'm curious which one I have, maybe I do have the newer version?!?!?
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
mike@newera

The MAF location change was so minimal, you would never be able to tell by looking at a picture. The prior driveability issue was only noticed by about 1% of our clientel, a certain driving condition would have to be met for it to happen. We did further testing to find out it only occured in Jannety's test because his fan generates a 65mph wind. This is not a variable speed fan in comparison to the mph in which the vehicle is travelling at which made the throttle transients and load , in comparison to vehicle speed not have an accurate effect on our intake, causing the airbox to somewhat have air forced in faster than it was taking it in with hardly any throttle, and create air turbulence at very rarely seen engine load in correlation to front grill air speed. This effect would take near like hurricane conditions to be duplicated due to the very light part throttle scenario at such a high wind speed, or just the right driving habit with incorrect calibration. Not trying to take anything away from Jannety's power findings, just that we figured that out after it was brought to our attention from his test, so we made a very slight change to try and get rid of this so called issue that was reported back to us on only a few occasions.

Last edited by mike@newera; 11-19-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
mike25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
Ummm, Vararam is in your sig already...
Sig hasnt been edited- had bought one and it wasnt made to fit the 2012, which wasnt told until after the purchase was made....

anyways thats besides the point.........can you answer the original question..?

Mods:
Old 11-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
mike@newera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
Sig hasnt been edited- had bought one and it wasnt made to fit the 2012, which wasnt told until after the purchase was made....

anyways thats besides the point.........can you answer the original question..?
It wasn't tested with the mods and a stock intake, this car made 479 rwhp last time it was on the dyno with NEP OTR intake, NEP VVT cam (found some more power in the calibration with this too a few months ago, as we are constantly trying to improve), Darin Morgan ported heads, ARH 1 7/8 with cats. So, I am sorry I can not truly accurately answer your question because I don't have real data. It will most likely be a rare occasion you find a vehicle making 100 rwhp+ over stock with a stock intake, not saying it is impossible, but I doubt it.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
mike25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
It wasn't tested with the mods and a stock intake, this car made 479 rwhp last time it was on the dyno with NEP OTR intake, NEP VVT cam (found some more power in the calibration with this too a few months ago, as we are constantly trying to improve), Darin Morgan ported heads, ARH 1 7/8 with cats. So, I am sorry I can not truly accurately answer your question because I don't have real data. It will most likely be a rare occasion you find a vehicle making 100 rwhp+ over stock with a stock intake, not saying it is impossible, but I doubt it.
Understandable. I was just curious how this stacked up against the vararam. Same concept- I just like the look/ design of this better. Is it available in different colors, or do you guys carry just one color?

Mods:
Old 11-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
mike@newera

Raw finish (which can be painted or powder coated whatever color you like after you receive it), flat black, or black chrome (gun metal like finish).
Old 11-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
mike25

Sounds good. Do you know of anyone who might have done a seperate dyno on this intake by chance?

Mods:
Old 11-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
mike@newera

I honestly don't keep track because we are so busy behind the scenes of the forums, no offense to the guys on the forums (rephrased).
Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #16
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
anyone know how the New Era affects fuel efficiency?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
anyone know how the New Era affects fuel efficiency?
Sorry but if your worried about fuel efficiency or MPG just leave it stock, you have a 376cI 6.2L v8, I don't get it lol.
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #18
1sikRS

Drives: chevy
agreeed u dont buy a v8 car for gas milage lol but to each their own i guess
1sikRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #19
The 2010 Sin
CorkTulsa.com

Drives: 2010 2SS BLK, 2013 2SS CRT
My question is how close to free can I pick one of these up for my 2013 ls3
Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
atma
disco kryptonite

you know, I actually got really mad and wrote a big rant because I thought that was such a stupid thing to say. but then I thought about it, it's not stupid, it's just overly simplistic and narrow-minded. i'll help you out.

just because i bought a 6.2l v8, doesn't mean my goal was to use a lot of gas. i wanted to be able to go fast on the occasions where it's safe and appropriate. When it's not, I generally drive relatively slow, use the 1st to 4th shift (and sometimes 2nd to 4th, even when it doesn't make me) because sometimes i'm not speeding around and using all of the power of the engine and on those occasions, it's nice to use as little gas as possible. gas costs money (mod money, if you will). gas creates pollution. gas is a finite resource. there's many reason s to want to use as little gas as possible, no matter what car I bought.

that being said, several people I know who have installed Vararam Intakes have reported noticeable real world gains in fuel efficiency and that was something that certainly interested me. I was wondering if the New Era did the same. wouldn't it be great if I bought a car with a 6.2L V8 engine and could get 18mpg instead of 16? the intake would pay for itself over time and the cost of driving the car would lower indefinitely. why would I not want this if i could have it?

now, I never said "I'm not buying this intake unless I get better gas mileage because I bought this car but I refuse to get any less than 35mpg!" not even close. I asked a question and I was curious about the answer. that's all. no need to get all judgemental and start stating obvious facts in such a condescending way.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #21
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Wow such a contradictive things to say, I want a V8 with mods but I want to save 2mpg but I want to go fast but sometimes. "I use the skip shift mode" really? Like I said leave it stock and don't get on the gas and coast a lot more often with the clutch in or neutral. Or get a vararam but trade it for a V6? Come on maaan
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
Old 09-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
atma
disco kryptonite

dude... don't act all indigniant and pretend it makes you look smart. you looked at something from one point of view. i looked at it from many. i asked a question. you added into it all these things that I just didn't ask. don't get all high and mighty here, you're not making any sense. acting like i'm not making sense doesn't make you right. and now you're discouraging others from answering what began as a very simple and innocuous question. back off. you're not making yourself look any smarter by defending your ignorance.

"I want a V8 with mods but I want to save 2mpg but I want to go fast but sometimes."
- never said that. i have a V8. considering ONE mod, not mods. and there's nothing contradictive about wanting to go fast sometimes.

"I use the skip shift mode" really? Like I said leave it stock"
-but if changing something makes it get better fuel economy than stock, how does leaving it stock make it better? that's just flat out wrong.

"don't get on the gas and coast a lot more often with the clutch in or neutral."
-how am i su[pposed to get anywhere? only go places that are down hill? how will i get back? well thought out argument here.

"Or get a vararam but trade it for a V6?"
-Vararam doesn't fit on 2012 SS. also, this sentence doesn't really make much sense.

"Come on maaan "
indeed
Old 09-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #23
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

To each their own, not high and mighty but I'm not too concerned about MPG or how much petroleum is left in the world, there's a 19 year old that started a thread about convertIng a V6 to V8 maybe you can swap and make a Lil money.

Join us:
Old 09-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #24
atma
disco kryptonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
To each their own, not high and mighty but I'm not too concerned about MPG or how much petroleum is left in the world, there's a 19 year old that started a thread about convertIng a V6 to V8 maybe you can swap and make a Lil money.

so you started all this because you expect that my thought patterns, concerns and decisions should be based on your world view? dude, ease up.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
RyanBoles

Drives: 2010 2SS
ATM i dont own a Vararam but I would guess just because you are efficiently delivering fresher outside air to the engine your mpg should increase a little...just a guess
RyanBoles is offline   Reply With Quote