Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
NeedMyFix
The countdown has begun..

Drives: 1997 Z28/2003 SoftTail
Automatic IN 2SS

I was wondering does the 2SS come with the six speed transmission? I have seen on the ordering thread that in addition to the 1200.00 for the auto, there is and addittional charge of 995.00 for the MXO six speed. Does this mean if you dont add that option you are stuck with the old 4 speed transmisson thats in my 1997 Z28?
NeedMyFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
All transmissions are 6 speed. Cost is $995 over the manual for either the SS or v6.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
All transmissions are 6 speed. Cost is $995 over the manual for either the SS or v6.

It is actually $1,185.00 for the 2LT or 2SS for some reason????? WHY????
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
ZYAL8R

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
I have to agree with UCF w00t. All price charts I have seen show $995 for the automatic in any model. I'm curious though where the number of $1185 came from.

84' Chevy S-10
91' Chevy S-10 Ext. Cab
90' GMC Sierra Reg. Cab 350 V8
2003 GMC Sierra HD 4x4 Crew 6.0
2005 GMC Yukon 5.3
2008 GMC Ext. Cab 4x4 5.3
2008 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3
This truck man is about to go for something a little more sporty.
ZYAL8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I don't think a lot of people are understanding the way that these cars are ordered. This would help people who keep posting questions about the 2SS, 2LT, and RS package.

Here's how it works. The 1LS, 1LT, and 2LT all have the same engine, the LLT. The 1SS and 2SS have the same engine depending on whether they are automatic or manual transmissions. The automatic V8 is always the L99. The manual V8 is always the LS3. The V6s have a manual and an automatic. The V8s have a manual and an automatic. There are 4 transmissions. Obviously, 2 of them are for V6s and 2 of them are for V8s. All of them have 6 gears. The V8 ones are built for V8 engines, so GM cannot offer the V6 ones for the V8 or vice versa. There is no changing any of this.

The 1LT and 2LT differ because the 2LT has more stuff inside the car, like standard leather. It does not change the performance or external appearance of the car in any way. This is also true for the difference between the 1SS and the 2SS.

The RS package is an appearance package that only changes the color of the roof ditch moldings, optional wheel treatment, headlights from halogens to HIDs, and tail lights to include a darker treatment. If your Camaro is a V6, then it will not have a mail slot with the RS because I did not say that you get a new bumper.

Does all of this make sense?
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
a6pk2go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYAL8R View Post
I have to agree with UCF w00t. All price charts I have seen show $995 for the automatic in any model. I'm curious though where the number of $1185 came from.

I have it sitting in front of me. They give you these at the dealer when you order a car. It is on the 2nd page unless there is an update. I would love to pay less but my page tells me the cost for an auto for the 2LT and 2SS are indeed $1185.00. I only have to pay around 4% because of where I work they give me a discount that amounts to around 0.963 of the total cost. So I should be either paying $995 like you say or $1141

EDIT: Did anyone who order have the same thing I got. I got my paperwork from Classic Chevy in Grapevine TX and my dealers name is Mike Carnes. Who btw gave me a brand new Orange Camaro hat...........thanks Mike!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I don't think a lot of people are understanding the way that these cars are ordered. This would help people who keep posting questions about the 2SS, 2LT, and RS package.

Here's how it works. The 1LS, 1LT, and 2LT all have the same engine, the LLT. The 1SS and 2SS have the same engine depending on whether they are automatic or manual transmissions. The automatic V8 is always the L99. The manual V8 is always the LS3. The V6s have a manual and an automatic. The V8s have a manual and an automatic. There are 4 transmissions. Obviously, 2 of them are for V6s and 2 of them are for V8s. All of them have 6 gears. The V8 ones are built for V8 engines, so GM cannot offer the V6 ones for the V8 or vice versa. There is no changing any of this.

The 1LT and 2LT differ because the 2LT has more stuff inside the car, like standard leather. It does not change the performance or external appearance of the car in any way. This is also true for the difference between the 1SS and the 2SS.

The RS package is an appearance package that only changes the color of the roof ditch moldings, optional wheel treatment, headlights from halogens to HIDs, and tail lights to include a darker treatment. If your Camaro is a V6, then it will not have a mail slot with the RS because I did not say that you get a new bumper.

Does all of this make sense?
I thought that the v6 transmissions are like the Turbo 350 Vs the Turbo 400 or a Saginaw Vs Muncie. Are the bolt patterns different? I thought GM was just saving money by not putting in a high performance transmission behind a V6 and charge the same.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
I thought that the v6 transmissions are like the Turbo 350 Vs the Turbo 400 or a Saginaw Vs Muncie. Are the bolt patterns different? I thought GM was just saving money by not putting in a high performance transmission behind a V6 and charge the same.
I think the V8 auto tranny is a little nicer, but the main difference is it is just geared more for performance than fuel economy I would guess.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by a6pk2go View Post
It is actually $1,185.00 for the 2LT or 2SS for some reason????? WHY????
2LT and 2SS cost more for the auto because they come standard with remote start.
- Xanthos
Old 01-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
a6pk2go

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
2LT and 2SS cost more for the auto because they come standard with remote start.
- Xanthos

Really??? I tihnk it is also available on the 1LT if you get the SRJ (Convenience and Connectivity) package. I guess that is just an option for the 1LT package when the auto is ordered though. Sorry.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
yea, the bolt patterns are going to be different. Its a V6 vs V8. It is a 'low performance' M6/A6 vs 'high performance'
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
- Xanthos
Quote:
Originally Posted by a6pk2go View Post
Really??? I tihnk it is also available on the 1LT if you get the SRJ (Convenience and Connectivity) package. I guess that is just an option for the 1LT package when the auto is ordered though. Sorry.
Yes but the SRJ package also costs more for autos than manual transmission models.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
Melson

Drives: Wild Cherry
I also ordered a 2SS/RS from Mike Carnes and got the same paperwork!
Melson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It is true that the V6 auto-tranny is a couple hundred dollars more expensive. The only reason I can think of as to why...would be that the Aisin manual unit in the V6 is cheaper than the Tremec manual in the SSs. Since the automatics are almost identical (the SS's is just beefier), this higher price would reflect that difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal View Post
Yes but the SRJ package also costs more for autos than manual transmission models.
Right, and that's due to the remote start feature included in the package when equipped with an auto.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #15
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
They're charging me $1185 for my transmission on my 1SS. They really didn't have an answer for me as to why it went up $190. (It's just the price.)
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:49 AM   #16
Xanthos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SScattergunSS View Post
They're charging me $1185 for my transmission on my 1SS. They really didn't have an answer for me as to why it went up $190. (It's just the price.)
As I said before, the 190 is for the remote start that is standard on 2SS models. If you got, say, a 1LT and ordered the SRJ package, the 190 would be included in that cost. As it stands, it wouldn't make much sense to include the cost of the remote start in the 2SS trim, since the manual trans can't use it - so they put it in the price of the auto trans package on the 2SS.
- Xanthos
Old 01-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #17
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
As I said before, the 190 is for the remote start that is standard on 2SS models. If you got, say, a 1LT and ordered the SRJ package, the 190 would be included in that cost. As it stands, it wouldn't make much sense to include the cost of the remote start in the 2SS trim, since the manual trans can't use it - so they put it in the price of the auto trans package on the 2SS.
- Xanthos
I need to look into this. I don't think I get the remote start with the 1SS. Initially, we did the paper work on the 2SS. When I switched down to the 1SS, I wonder if the price on the transmission should have also switched down to $995.00?
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:35 AM   #18
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
- Xanthos
but he's getting a 1SS

Quote:
I need to look into this. I don't think I get the remote start with the 1SS. Initially, we did the paper work on the 2SS. When I switched down to the 1SS, I wonder if the price on the transmission should have also switched down to $995.00?
remote start is not available on the 1SS. everywhere i've seen said the automatic was $995 regardless of trim. try PMing one of the car dealers like CamaroScotty to get a more definite answer.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:00 AM   #19
Xanthos

Quote:
Ah. Yeah, I guess I saw 1SS and read 2SS. I think most likely its a glitch where the pricing on the auto package wasn't reduced properly. Just contact your dealer about it - should be no big deal.
- Xanthos
Old 03-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
but he's getting a 1SS

remote start is not available on the 1SS. everywhere i've seen said the automatic was $995 regardless of trim. try PMing one of the car dealers like CamaroScotty to get a more definite answer.
HEY, I MISSED A QUESTION!!!

So yes:

The 2SS automatic also includes remote vehicle start technology, where as the 1SS does not (hence the price difference).
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #21
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
HEY, I MISSED A QUESTION!!!

So yes:

The 2SS automatic also includes remote vehicle start technology, where as the 1SS does not (hence the price difference).
Mr. Scotty, got another one.

The convenience and connectivity package is not on chevy's website as a package (build your own options)

Is this only available through dealers or what? and if so, what else can we expect to see available at dealers that isnt on the chevy site?

Thanks.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #22
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Mr. Scotty, got another one.

The convenience and connectivity package is not on chevy's website as a package (build your own options)

Is this only available through dealers or what? and if so, what else can we expect to see available at dealers that isnt on the chevy site?

Thanks.
I'm not Scotty but this easy, the C&C package is on Chevy's build your own page. I believe your confusion is because it's only an option for the 1LT and you are looking at the 1SS.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #23
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal View Post
I'm not Scotty but this easy, the C&C package is on Chevy's build your own page. I believe your confusion is because it's only an option for the 1LT and you are looking at the 1SS.
correct. the C&C package is only available for the 1LT. there's been much griping about this, but that's how it is for now
Old 03-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #24
GM'r_For_Life
9A108207

Drives: 95 S10
Quote:
You would be right in your thinking on this.
1SS $995 for automatic and does NOT include remote start and no option to get it
2SS $1185 for automatic and extra $ 190 is for Remote start.
1LT $995 for automatic Only gets remote start if SRJ is selected.
2LT $1185 for automatic and extra $190 is for remote start.
1LS $995 and no option to get remote start.
GM'r_For_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #25
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
correct. the C&C package is only available for the 1LT. there's been much griping about this, but that's how it is for now
Dont you see why though? Thats counter intuitive to the max. V8 drivers dont like to have a little tech too? I do. By the time I buy (3rd-4th quarter), maybe this will be resolved. Hopefully. Just plain dumb.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote