Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
smokay

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT V6 Manual
Cold Air Intake help guys. !!!

I been looking for many different types and sounds of CAI.
I narrowed my mind down to three CAI...

BBK Cold Air Intake
Injen Cold Air Intake
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake

they all have really good sound, but I wanted to know what you guys think.

which one should I go for??

i need yall help.
smokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Mankind
Whats a Millwright?

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM, 05 Wht Denali
Really cant go wrong on any of those. Your choice of which according to price and your ability at installs. There is probably about 1K threads in CAI's and everyone is pleased with everything currently offered.
Mankind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
heRS

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
this should be a poll. OP, can you add a poll? I'd like to know which is most popular too.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
installed the CAI,INC. on mine.was going to install new muffler system,but changed my mind because my stock system just roars now that the CAI is on.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
ROD1
Back to the hunt....

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Going by the numbers, I would go Injen all over again. It is the only true cai in the bunch. The rest are short ram. I wish there was an over the radiator type but I dont think that will happen.
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
I went with the CAI, Inc and an ADM scoop.

Bill
Attached Images

VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System;
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlingSS View Post
I went with the CAI, Inc and an ADM scoop.

Bill
This is the V6 section....
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 2012 zl1
We haven't had ours out for long (many less in the field), so a poll may be misleading. Please read the feedback of anyone that actually has ours. Also, there is no disadvantage to a short ram versus a longer tube that goes low so long as the system is effectively isolating engine compartment heat from the filter. Actually, on hot days when the pavement is hot you will have higher intake temps from a system that draws it's air from an area closer to the pavement.

As a manufacturer, we love to say we have the only good intake on the market. In reality, Camaro owners are very fortunate to have several truly good systems to choose from. Not all car models are afforded this luxury.

Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
Going by the numbers, I would go Injen all over again. It is the only true cai in the bunch. The rest are short ram. I wish there was an over the radiator type but I dont think that will happen.
I saw an over the radiator type this past weekend at our local car meet. Granted, it is an SS but the overall design couldn't be too different.

Name:  ram air.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  132.0 KB
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
We haven't had ours out for long (many less in the field), so a poll may be misleading. Please read the feedback of anyone that actually has ours. Also, there is no disadvantage to a short ram versus a longer tube that goes low so long as the system is effectively isolating engine compartment heat from the filter. Actually, on hot days when the pavement is hot you will have higher intake temps from a system that draws it's air from an area closer to the pavement.

As a manufacturer, we love to say we have the only good intake on the market. In reality, Camaro owners are very fortunate to have several truly good systems to choose from. Not all car models are afforded this luxury.
sorry but that sounds like typical FUD... do you have any evidence to back that up? While the pavement may be very hot the air is constantly circulating... unlike the hot air inside the engine bay which is going to be pretty stale compared to the air underneath the car...

This summer I actually did take some measurements of the pavement temps vs air temp vs IAT... unfortunately I didn't take very good notes.. however the data was such that I would say what you are suggesting is not accurate. Pavement was around 110 to 120 degree, IIRC, which is still quite a bit cooler than your radiator and engine...

It's currently in low to mid 20's here so I can't do much testing until next spring...
Old 12-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
sorry but that sounds like typical FUD... do you have any evidence to back that up? While the pavement may be very hot the air is constantly circulating... unlike the hot air inside the engine bay which is going to be pretty stale compared to the air underneath the car...

This summer I actually did take some measurements of the pavement temps vs air temp vs IAT... unfortunately I didn't take very good notes.. however the data was such that I would say what you are suggesting is not accurate. Pavement was around 110 to 120 degree, IIRC, which is still quite a bit cooler than your radiator and engine...

It's currently in low to mid 20's here so I can't do much testing until next spring...
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
Roto-fab 1

Quote:

Same boat here...hope we hit the mid 20s here today! We did similar testing when developing a ram air system for the G8. We made a duct that went from the lower panel in front of the front wheel and coupled directly to the bottom of our air box. Anyway, one of the things we discovered was temperatures closer to the pavement were higher than temps farther from the pavement. Like you, I didn't keep accurate notes on this as it really wasn't what we were testing. Also, the stock intake air location isn't exactly the same with the G8 and Camaro.
To say that an intake is drawing engine air and comparing that to 120 degree pavement isn't accurate with our intake as it does not draw engine air. Our system will run IATs slightly above ambient when the car is stationary. It starts out at 2-3 above and can go as high as 8-9 degrees above ambient if it sits long enough. As soon as the car starts to move the intake temps go down immediately. At 5 MPH we run about 2 degrees above ambient. At 10 MPH we are 1-2 degrees above ambient. This testing was done on appr. 90 degree day using a thermocouple placed directly in the pleats of the air filter.
I will add that our intake temps are actually lower than the stock intake by about 8 degrees while stationary and at 5 MPH. As speed increased the differenced decreased.
Yes, I will definitely test this on a hot day just to post numbers and quantify the difference. It's simple though-the stock inlet duct of the camaro draws it's air from about 2 1/2 feet from the ground. As you move closer to the pavement the temperature will go up-no doubt about it at all. Ask the guy that received second degree burns on his hands and knees from the pavement in Phoenix last year!
Anyway, not trying to be crappy and I don't even know what the acronym "FUD" represents, but it is probably similar to BS and I try not to engage in that!
For those that aren't familiar with the stock air intake duct, it is located behind the grill on the driver's side. The air comes in the top of it and the air goes directly into our air box area. That makes our system a true cold air intake system. We draw outside air while effectively blocking engine compartment air from entering the filter.

Last edited by Roto-fab 1; 12-09-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Same boat here...hope we hit the mid 20s here today! We did similar testing when developing a ram air system for the G8. We made a duct that went from the lower panel in front of the front wheel and coupled directly to the bottom of our air box. Anyway, one of the things we discovered was temperatures closer to the pavement were higher than temps farther from the pavement. Like you, I didn't keep accurate notes on this as it really wasn't what we were testing. Also, the stock intake air location isn't exactly the same with the G8 and Camaro.
To say that an intake is drawing engine air and comparing that to 120 degree pavement isn't accurate with our intake as it does not draw engine air. Our system will run IATs slightly above ambient when the car is stationary. It starts out at 2-3 above and can go as high as 8-9 degrees above ambient if it sits long enough. As soon as the car starts to move the intake temps go down immediately. At 5 MPH we run about 2 degrees above ambient. At 10 MPH we are 1-2 degrees above ambient. This testing was done on appr. 90 degree day using a thermocouple placed directly in the pleats of the air filter.
I will add that our intake temps are actually lower than the stock intake by about 8 degrees while stationary and at 5 MPH. As speed increased the differenced decreased.
Yes, I will definitely test this on a hot day just to post numbers and quantify the difference. It's simple though-the stock inlet duct of the camaro draws it's air from about 2 1/2 feet from the ground. As you move closer to the pavement the temperature will go up-no doubt about it at all. Ask the guy that received second degree burns on his hands and knees from the pavement in Phoenix last year!
Anyway, not trying to be crappy and I don't even know what the acronym "FUD" represents, but it is probably similar to BS and I try not to engage in that!
For those that aren't familiar with the stock air intake duct, it is located behind the grill on the driver's side. The air comes in the top of it and the air goes directly into our air box area. That makes our system a true cold air intake system. We draw outside air while effectively blocking engine compartment air from entering the filter.

I agree the pavement can get hot... yes, I believe you can get 2nd degree burns from it... but by the same token if you touch your motor you can get burns too!

The thing about drawing air from the front grill is I believe you are going to get some warmer air off the radiator... I could be wrong as I haven't seen one in person... just going by what I'm able to see in pictures...

But at this point we'll probably have to wait until spring to discuss actual data... although I heard we may make it above freezing tomorrow! LOL!
Old 12-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
I agree the pavement can get hot... yes, I believe you can get 2nd degree burns from it... but by the same token if you touch your motor you can get burns too!

The thing about drawing air from the front grill is I believe you are going to get some warmer air off the radiator... I could be wrong as I haven't seen one in person... just going by what I'm able to see in pictures...

But at this point we'll probably have to wait until spring to discuss actual data... although I heard we may make it above freezing tomorrow! LOL!
I did hear temps will get above freezing tomorrow for us too...it sounds like we enjoy similar weather! Maybe we can do a little IA testing in warm weather and compare notes.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
I did hear temps will get above freezing tomorrow for us too...it sounds like we enjoy similar weather! Maybe we can do a little IA testing in warm weather and compare notes.
Yep, absolutely on the data comparisons!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #16
priz23
On 2nd 2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS -Cyber Gray
Don't leave out CAI, Inc, especially if you don't want to go with the injen. I love the sound from it, and it has had great track results too. I think the injen will still nudge it a little in overall performance, but the CAI, inc product looks better in the engine bay in my opinion.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by priz23 View Post
Don't leave out CAI, Inc, especially if you don't want to go with the injen. I love the sound from it, and it has had great track results too. I think the injen will still nudge it a little in overall performance, but the CAI, inc product looks better in the engine bay in my opinion.
It has?
Old 12-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by priz23 View Post
Quote:
It has?

YEP......sitting in the top ten. # 8 to be exact.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61392

.....there I go again breaking my vow......sorry guys........
Old 12-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #19
Quinn88

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Ive also been trying to decide what CAI to get. I live in Las Vegas so Im hesitant to get the Injen intake because of the fact that it can get up to 120 degrees here, so the pavement will be much hotter. I doubt any intake will really make a difference in the summer here. I like the CAI, Inc, but I still cant decide. Any reccomendations?
Quinn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #20
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn88 View Post
Ive also been trying to decide what CAI to get. I live in Las Vegas so Im hesitant to get the Injen intake because of the fact that it can get up to 120 degrees here, so the pavement will be much hotter. I doubt any intake will really make a difference in the summer here. I like the CAI, Inc, but I still cant decide. Any reccomendations?
it's cooler down there than in the engine compartment...

i'm in vegas, and have the injen
Old 12-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #21
ROD1
Back to the hunt....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
YEP......sitting in the top ten. # 8 to be exact.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61392

.....there I go again breaking my vow......sorry guys........
Haha, peeps get divorced every day. No Biggie!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #22
ROD1
Back to the hunt....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post

Yep, plenty of air flowing between the pavement and the filter as well. Wait ... Vegas . Heh NM lololol
Old 12-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #23
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

lol, yeah, that's why i hate the track here...very slow times!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #24
Quinn88

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post

Yeah thats definitely true. Ill probably go with the Injen, especially since its $100 cheaper than the CAI, Inc.
Btw, you dont happen to live in Tuscany, do you? My neighbor has a Camaro that looks just like yours
Quinn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #25
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

I'm not to sure where Tuscany is. lol I live close to Sam Boyd Stadium, on the east part of town.

Tags
bbk, cold air intake, induction, injen, roto-fab