Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 12-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
unclead3008

Drives: White 1SS
Kooks long tube headers just installed - question

I just installed my kooks long tube headers with high flow cats on my 2010 LS3. It has a Magnaflow Competition Axle Back exhaust with K & N Typhoon CAI. The headers / exhaust sound mean!!! I did not get this dyno tuned yet. I have only driven it a few miles because the weather is crappy now. I am getting a lot of smoke out of the exhaust pipes. Is this common when the headers are brand new.....or do I definitely need a dyno tune??? Any help would be appreciated.
unclead3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Jaysin
I Void Warranties

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
You'll get some smoking at first, but that will go away shortly. You don't have to run out and get a tune.

Kooks Headers, CAI Inc. Intake, Catch Can, Pedders Supercar Coilovers, Sway Bars, All Pedders Bushings, Spohn Trailing Arms and Toe Links...
Jaysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Rich1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Victory Red
Smoke is very common, but should burn off fairly quickly. If you didn't get "Service Engine" light, you will soon. It always happens when you get LT headers. My tuner turned off the rear O2 sensors to eliminate the problem.
Rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to danhr
All headers smoke right off the bat..... they come with a coating on them that is "cooked off" by the first heat cycle.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Correct....it's an oil coating on there that is burning off.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
You'll get some smoking at first, but that will go away shortly. You don't have to run out and get a tune.
True, but what a difference when you do.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
Big Daddy Kane

Drives: Red 1SS
Thats normal. I installed my Kooks headers and exhaust in October and read that it would smoke like that. Sure enough, it did. But eventually it stopped. No worries.

Kooks LT Headers/catback exhaust, E-force supercharger, JRE fuel line upgrade, JRE differential, 3.91 LPE gears, Roto-fab intake, JRE tune, DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft, MGW shifter, Hotchkis chassis braces
Big Daddy Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
Jaysin
I Void Warranties

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbusa View Post
True, but what a difference when you do.
For sure!

Headers, CAI and no tune is like watching standard definition on a high definition television. You can do it, but what's the point.

Kooks Headers, CAI Inc. Intake, Catch Can, Pedders Supercar Coilovers, Sway Bars, All Pedders Bushings, Spohn Trailing Arms and Toe Links...
Jaysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
All headers smoke right off the bat..... they come with a coating on them that is "cooked off" by the first heat cycle.
Don't you mean "Kooked" Off...Just sayin

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Don't you mean "Kooked" Off...Just sayin
you are a witty man, you are
Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
c-dub
It's that guy

Drives: 2011 SIM SS/RS
Sorry for the resurrection here but I am curious about this "tune with LT headers" issue. So if you get Long Tubes you don't NEED a tune? I don't really care if I leave HP on the table since I'm not planning on racing this car. But I DO want the epic sound that LT's provide. Can anybody point me towards a source of knowledge on this? I did a thread search and came up with bupkiss.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
Sorry for the resurrection here but I am curious about this "tune with LT headers" issue. So if you get Long Tubes you don't NEED a tune? I don't really care if I leave HP on the table since I'm not planning on racing this car. But I DO want the epic sound that LT's provide. Can anybody point me towards a source of knowledge on this? I did a thread search and came up with bupkiss.
i dont blame you more wanting headers for sound. i got headers and a cam half of the time for the sound. lol

tuning actually makes the car sound better with headers and or cam. but people hear are running LTs with no tune they seem to be done fine.

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
caverman

You can do it but you'll have the constant "Check Engine Light" stay on because of the cats.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
c-dub
It's that guy

Wait...so LT= no cats...are there LT with cats? or...a catted mid-pipe? lol I've heard that mentioned before! But I dunno I just want my car to sound as beast as it is! What about a scanner dealy? Maybe if I talk to the dealership they can turn the check engine light off for me?

ps: btw I know I probably sound like a total dunce, but I'm just tryin to get my car badass like some of the other guys/gals around here ya know?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #15
mikeSS

Quote:
Wait...so LT= no cats...are there LT with cats? or...a catted mid-pipe? lol I've heard that mentioned before! But I dunno I just want my car to sound as beast as it is! What about a scanner dealy? Maybe if I talk to the dealership they can turn the check engine light off for me?

ps: btw I know I probably sound like a total dunce, but I'm just tryin to get my car badass like some of the other guys/gals around here ya know?
dont worry we will answer all of your questions.

LTs= long tube headers, and in simple terms when buying LTs you have a choice to get cats or not. no cats will make the car louder.

if you have cats or no cats you will still have a check engine light on either way if not tuned . people get high flow cats mainly to have a smoother sound and reduce sound and the car is also more emission friendly. but it will still be loud with cats trust me. most people have catted mid pipes here

do not call your dealership to have them turn off a check engine light, very bad idea. and i am happy we can tell you this before you call. the main reason why people dont tune is because of warranty, but you if take your car into the dealership with LTs on and you have a check engine light on, that will not look good.

allot of people put LTs on and take them off if they need to go into the dealership.

comes down to it. if you are going to put LTs on you should tune it. key word should

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
c-dub
It's that guy

Ok gotcha. Thank you very much for the knowledge. My power level is over 9000 now for sure! I think I might pass on the LT's until I'm sure I can live without the comfy warranty.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #17
caverman

Quote:
Ok gotcha. Thank you very much for the knowledge. My power level is over 9000 now for sure! I think I might pass on the LT's until I'm sure I can live without the comfy warranty.
What you need to look into is running a set of High Flow catted mid-pipes. JBA and SOLO make some. You should be able to keep the warranty and pick up 15 or so rwhp and get a lot more sound along the way. Won't be the same as LTs but close.....for alot cheaper as well.

Do a search....there are threads about them.
Build Journal
Old 02-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #18
PSU SS

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
allot of people put LTs on and take them off if they need to go into the dealership.
are you saying that just putting on the headers voids the warranty?
PSU SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #19
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU SS View Post
are you saying that just putting on the headers voids the warranty?
it depend on dealership, but in most cases if you put LTs you will have a check engine light come on, and you cant just have that up at all time and expect the dealership to be fine with it. also if you wanna get rid of that code you will need to tune the car. and tuning it voids the warranty in most cases.

either way you void the warranty. you can get away with it if you take them off before you go in with out tuning the car. ( i believe )

think about it if you have a check engine light on and you blow your engine for some reason, chevy is going to give shit

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #20
Alain

Drives: 2010 SS, RS, Manual. 2012 F150, FX4
i got long tube headers with high flow cats and the o2 bung extensions, no tune and i haven't had a check engine light come on...... going on 4 weeks now.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #21
843metalhead

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
What you need to look into is running a set of High Flow catted mid-pipes. JBA and SOLO make some. You should be able to keep the warranty and pick up 15 or so rwhp and get a lot more sound along the way. Won't be the same as LTs but close.....for alot cheaper as well.

Do a search....there are threads about them.
I thought the HF cats should be tuned as well
843metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #22
c-dub
It's that guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
i got long tube headers with high flow cats and the o2 bung extensions, no tune and i haven't had a check engine light come on...... going on 4 weeks now.

possibly because of the o2 extensions? I read that the O2 censors is what causes the code to trigger the check engine light. Wow if I could manage to get the beasty sound of LT's without voiding my warranty I'd be happy!!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #23
Alain

Drives: 2010 SS, RS, Manual. 2012 F150, FX4
Quote:
possibly because of the o2 extensions? I read that the O2 censors is what causes the code to trigger the check engine light. Wow if I could manage to get the beasty sound of LT's without voiding my warranty I'd be happy!!
you can, just get the extensions like i did. i got mine from ebay, if i remember correctly. they were like 15 bucks for both
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #24
c-dub
It's that guy

running them without a tune though, isn't that "bad"?