Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
racert33
waiting for white
 
racert33's Avatar
 
Drives: vertically challenged 95 c/k
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 110
1st time buyer

I am considering getting a new car, and at the top of my list is the new camaro. i've figured out that what i want is a 2LT with RS package and auto(never driven stick) which should have MSRP around $29,000, which is fine by me. However, people i've talked to have told me to expect to pay at least six grand more because of dealer prep and such. I would expect that all i need to pay is MSRP + tax (around $2000). Should i really expect to end up paying $35,000 for this car?

BTW, my brother recently got screwed by this. He payed nearly $5800 for a motorcycle that they sold to him at MSRP of $4000, i think
racert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
jeffny09


 
jeffny09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 5,714
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
Quote:
Originally Posted by racert33 View Post
I am considering getting a new car, and at the top of my list is the new camaro. i've figured out that what i want is a 2LT with RS package and auto(never driven stick) which should have MSRP around $29,000, which is fine by me. However, people i've talked to have told me to expect to pay at least six grand more because of dealer prep and such. I would expect that all i need to pay is MSRP + tax (around $2000). Should i really expect to end up paying $35,000 for this car?

BTW, my brother recently got screwed by this. He payed nearly $5800 for a motorcycle that they sold to him at MSRP of $4000, i think

u should only be paying msrp plus tax titl reg, and thats it nothing more nothing less,they are bsing you on this forum is a list of dealers that charge only msrp take a look at it its in the ordering forum

welcome to the site btw
youll learn lots
__________________
top 10 reason why real men drive stick.

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Wassert
 
Wassert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Mazda 6 3.0L v6
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beaumont Texas
Posts: 111
yeah im in the same situation and i got told the same thing he said i need to make at least 3 grannd a mnth and put 6 grand down for a 2LT/RS
Wassert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
jeffny09


 
jeffny09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 5,714
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wassert View Post
yeah im in the same situation and i got told the same thing he said i need to make at least 3 grannd a mnth and put 6 grand down for a 2LT/RS
why would your need to make 3 grand a month-and oput down 6 grand for what? these dealers are stupid-they have not a clue they just tryin to make an easy buck tell them to go f them selves- find a new dealer there is plenty on this list
__________________
top 10 reason why real men drive stick.

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by racert33 View Post
I am considering getting a new car, and at the top of my list is the new camaro. i've figured out that what i want is a 2LT with RS package and auto(never driven stick) which should have MSRP around $29,000, which is fine by me. However, people i've talked to have told me to expect to pay at least six grand more because of dealer prep and such. I would expect that all i need to pay is MSRP + tax (around $2000). Should i really expect to end up paying $35,000 for this car?

BTW, my brother recently got screwed by this. He payed nearly $5800 for a motorcycle that they sold to him at MSRP of $4000, i think
MSRP for a auto 2LT/RS is roughly $30,000. Tax brings the cost almost to a dead even $32,000. Most dealers nowadays charge a "paperwork fee" of around $600 and the prep fee is already included in the cost of the car so if the dealer tries to charge you again tell them no. Depending on the cost of tag and title in your state, the most you should be paying is $33,000.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
camaropete
I love crepes
 
camaropete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,313
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
Quote:
Originally Posted by racert33 View Post
I am considering getting a new car, and at the top of my list is the new camaro. i've figured out that what i want is a 2LT with RS package and auto(never driven stick) which should have MSRP around $29,000, which is fine by me. However, people i've talked to have told me to expect to pay at least six grand more because of dealer prep and such. I would expect that all i need to pay is MSRP + tax (around $2000). Should i really expect to end up paying $35,000 for this car?

BTW, my brother recently got screwed by this. He payed nearly $5800 for a motorcycle that they sold to him at MSRP of $4000, i think
Welcome to the site. When do you want to buy the car? If you are willing to wait for a while, you might be able to get a better deal. If you want one within the first few months, MSRP is about as good as you are going to get. Don't forget to consider any personal property taxes (some states), insurance, etc.
__________________
camaropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
InventoryGuy
 
Drives: Tundra
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
why would your need to make 3 grand a month-and oput down 6 grand for what? these dealers are stupid-they have not a clue they just tryin to make an easy buck tell them to go f them selves- find a new dealer there is plenty on this list
slow down cowboy.....

the suggestion about income is founded actually. it is all based on income to debt and some other factors. ALL lenders will only allow a certain percentage of your earnings to be allotted to your car payment. That percentage varies by lender, credit score, and credit history.

the suggestion of 6 grand down sounds reasonable because with modern lending everyone has a "carry rate" which basically means the amount over invoice being financed. with first time buyers AND bad credit customers a lot of lenders require you to be UNDER 100% carry. In a circumstance like buying a $30k car with 3k mark up you "might" be required to pay all of your tax, title, and license as well as the mark up at signing to get the carry rate under 100% of invoice.

Please explain how requiring a certain monthly income or amount down makes an more money for a dealership?

so before you start spouting bullshit you might want to know what you are talking about.

To the OP, I suggest you get a good co-signer. On most lenders your loan details are based off the highest and best credit on the loan. So if you have a good so-signer then you "might" be required to have less money down and then their income is also considered on the loan. it will help you establish good credit without having to pay high interest in the process.

Listen to everyone else, everything is negotiable. The only thing you should be paying is the negotiated purchase price plus Tax Title and Licensing. There should be no loan fees, inventory tax, dealer prep fees, etc. these are things dealerships try to tack on to make more profit on the deal.

And for the love of God don't listen to these people who almost WANT to fight a dealership. Just do your research and work with a good dealership.
InventoryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:47 AM   #8
Wassert
 
Wassert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Mazda 6 3.0L v6
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beaumont Texas
Posts: 111
thanks inventory guy but does that sound right to you? i mean when he explained it to me it made since but i just wanted to make sure
Wassert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:05 AM   #9
jeffny09


 
jeffny09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 5,714
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
Quote:
Originally Posted by InventoryGuy View Post
slow down cowboy.....

the suggestion about income is founded actually. it is all based on income to debt and some other factors. ALL lenders will only allow a certain percentage of your earnings to be allotted to your car payment. That percentage varies by lender, credit score, and credit history.

the suggestion of 6 grand down sounds reasonable because with modern lending everyone has a "carry rate" which basically means the amount over invoice being financed. with first time buyers AND bad credit customers a lot of lenders require you to be UNDER 100% carry. In a circumstance like buying a $30k car with 3k mark up you "might" be required to pay all of your tax, title, and license as well as the mark up at signing to get the carry rate under 100% of invoice.

Please explain how requiring a certain monthly income or amount down makes an more money for a dealership?

so before you start spouting bullshit you might want to know what you are talking about.

To the OP, I suggest you get a good co-signer. On most lenders your loan details are based off the highest and best credit on the loan. So if you have a good so-signer then you "might" be required to have less money down and then their income is also considered on the loan. it will help you establish good credit without having to pay high interest in the process.

Listen to everyone else, everything is negotiable. The only thing you should be paying is the negotiated purchase price plus Tax Title and Licensing. There should be no loan fees, inventory tax, dealer prep fees, etc. these are things dealerships try to tack on to make more profit on the deal.

And for the love of God don't listen to these people who almost WANT to fight a dealership. Just do your research and work with a good dealership.
aight homie
__________________
top 10 reason why real men drive stick.

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:10 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,272
SHOP AROUND!!!

You should NOT be paying anything over MSRP for anything. Run out and find a dealer w/ allocations. You'll be fine. But, get everything in writing...and AT MSRP.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:32 AM   #11
Matster

 
Matster's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Posts: 1,883
Sounds to me like there is some confusion between the price of the car and Racert33's and or Wassert's loan requirements. IMHO that was what InventoryGuy was explaining, the personal credit/loan requirements.
__________________
666 EVIL RWHP BUILT AND TUNED BY SHIFTED PERCEPTIONS INC.(SPi)

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,159
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Dealer preparations and other nonsense like that are scams. Tell your dealer to cut the crap.

Your dealer is an idiot.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #13
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie
 
5th_GEN_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,616
if u got an SS is there an additional tax? as i think most preformance cars have cuz of the gas consumption and whatnot?

i forget what it isw called...its an additional fee to sports cars, maybe that is only in ohio where i live tho? i donno
__________________
"Letty" Murdered out 2013 Camaro 1LE. (Old car SIM 2010 2SS/RS)
5th_GEN_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
camaropete
I love crepes
 
camaropete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,313
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_GEN_SS View Post
if u got an SS is there an additional tax? as i think most preformance cars have cuz of the gas consumption and whatnot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_GEN_SS View Post
i forget what it isw called...its an additional fee to sports cars, maybe that is only in ohio where i live tho? i donno
Do you mean the Gas Guzzler Tax?

What is the Gas Guzzler Tax?

The Energy Tax Act of 1978 established a Gas Guzzler Tax on the sale of new model year vehicles whose fuel economy fails to meet certain statutory levels. The gas guzzler tax applies only to cars (not trucks) and is collected by the IRS.

The fuel economy figures used to determine the Gas Guzzler Tax are different from the fuel economy values provided on this web site and in the Fuel Economy Guide. The tax does not depend on your actual on-the-road mpg, which may be more or less than the EPA published value. The purpose of the Gas Guzzler Tax is to discourage the production and purchase of fuel inefficient vehicles. The amount of any applicable Gas Guzzler Tax paid by the manufacturer will be disclosed on the automobile's fuel economy label (the window sticker on new cars).

GAS GUZZLER TAX
Unadjusted MPG (combined)* Tax
at least 22.5 No tax
at least 21.5, but less than 22.5 $1000
at least 20.5, but less than 21.5 $1300
at least 19.5, but less than 20.5 $1700
at least 18.5, but less than 19.5 $2100
at least 17.5, but less than 18.5 $2600
at least 16.5, but less than 17.5 $3000
at least 15.5, but less than 16.5 $3700
at least 14.5, but less than 15.5 $4500
at least 13.5, but less than 14.5 $5400
at least 12.5, but less than 13.5 $6400
less than 12.5 $7700


Look here: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/info.shtml#guzzler
__________________
camaropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie
 
5th_GEN_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
Do you mean the Gas Guzzler Tax?
yea its something like that,
i got a RS/SS so will there be an additional tax?
__________________
"Letty" Murdered out 2013 Camaro 1LE. (Old car SIM 2010 2SS/RS)
5th_GEN_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #16
camaropete
I love crepes
 
camaropete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,313
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_GEN_SS View Post
yea its something like that,
i got a RS/SS so will there be an additional tax?
See above, but the word is that no Gas Guzzler Tax will apply to the Camaro. Did you get the auto or manual?
__________________
camaropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #17
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie
 
5th_GEN_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,616
6 speed
__________________
"Letty" Murdered out 2013 Camaro 1LE. (Old car SIM 2010 2SS/RS)
5th_GEN_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #18
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,159
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_GEN_SS View Post
6 speed
They're all six-speeds.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
BackinBlack
KASPR
 
BackinBlack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS LS3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Bloomfield MI
Posts: 285
I' ve found that downpayments to reserve your car can vary greatly between dealers, from $500, $1000, and even $2500. But at the time I placed my order the MSRP was just a ballpark.
BackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_GEN_SS View Post
if u got an SS is there an additional tax? as i think most preformance cars have cuz of the gas consumption and whatnot?

i forget what it isw called...its an additional fee to sports cars, maybe that is only in ohio where i live tho? i donno

There will NOT be a gas guzzler tax!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #21
racert33
waiting for white
 
racert33's Avatar
 
Drives: vertically challenged 95 c/k
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 110
thanks guys, i keep hearing about people that get screwed and i just want to look out foy myself. i found a dealer nearby that was on the list of good dealers, maybe i'll stop by tomorrow and see if they have any allocations left.
racert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nows the time boys - pick your personalized vanity plates NOODLESgoneWILD General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 2318 07-18-2014 10:22 AM
1st Gen Camaro Owners raise your hands Trevor ruffcorn 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros 451 01-18-2014 04:45 PM
1st Edition Camaro5.com T-Shirts!!! (old thread. visit www.camaro5store.com for more) TAG UR IT 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 62 07-10-2011 11:56 PM
DOES EVERYONE KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?!?!? boxmonkeyracing Off-topic Discussions 7 10-09-2010 10:28 PM
auction time kozzmo49 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 4 01-17-2009 03:55 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.