Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #101
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS
^ I contacted them and I would save over 200$ instead of going with acc. I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet in a few weeks and order the kit and try to do the project myself. I'll save over 700$ and if I mess up a headlight i still will be under by buying another headlight.
puertoricanfont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #102
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
well....half of that is parts. So I would has about $325 to do the install, paint, and halos. Doesn't seem bad to me but it would be up to you. Is it worth it to you save the $325 or is it worth it to you to have someone that's done them before to do it. It's really your call. For me they only wanted $150 but I didn't have halos or paint. For $150 I thought it was a no brainer....plus by doing that I was able to have them put the different shrouds on there to figure out which one I liked. That was a good thing because neither one of us would've picked the GTi shroud had we not seen it in the headlight.

They'll do the initial adjusting of the projector in the headlight. Once you get the headlight back and installed you'll have to fine tune the veritcal adjustment of the lights. That's easy. An allen headed bolt at the the top of the headlight.

There is a formula on doing it to get close but the easiest thing would be to find someone that has another Camaro (especially if it's an RS), put the cars side by side facing a wall and then just match the height adjustment to meet theirs.

Otherwise the basics are to pull your car up as close as possible to a wall and put a piece of tape in the middle of the light on the wall. Then put another about 2" below it. Then pull the car back until it's like 22' from that wall and make the top of the headlight beam touch the top of the tape you put 2" lower. I don't remember the exact but it's something like that.

I had to do that procedure but still found the lights to be a little too high. So, that was a good starting point but then I just lowered them a little to keep it out of the guy in front of me rearview mirror. I did that by just driving it around and seeing how they looked.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #103
dme
Davis

Drives: 2012 LS Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by puertoricanfont View Post
^ I contacted them and I would save over 200$ instead of going with acc. I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet in a few weeks and order the kit and try to do the project myself. I'll save over 700$ and if I mess up a headlight i still will be under by buying another headlight.
I am going for retrofitted headlights, AAC halos, and fog lights in my LS. For my week or so of research and price shopping I have some comparisons.

If I buy a fog light kit and halos from AAC, then send housings from eBay and AAC halos to RetroSource for them to install/paint/add the halos, I'd be at $1,436. If I just ordered the kit from RetroSource and installed it myself it would be $1,106. I could save about $35 ordering fog lights and housings from RockAuto and the bulbs from AAC.

If I do everything through AAC (them doing the retrofitting [Save a few hundred by buying headlight housings on eBay and sending them] and giving me fog light parts) I'd be looking at about $1,810. This is far too much in my opinion, so I don't think I'll go that route.

I'm trying to decide if $350 is worth having the headlights done for me.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #104
dme
Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
well....half of that is parts. So I would has about $325 to do the install, paint, and halos. Doesn't seem bad to me but it would be up to you. Is it worth it to you save the $325 or is it worth it to you to have someone that's done them before to do it. It's really your call. For me they only wanted $150 but I didn't have halos or paint. For $150 I thought it was a no brainer....plus by doing that I was able to have them put the different shrouds on there to figure out which one I liked. That was a good thing because neither one of us would've picked the GTi shroud had we not seen it in the headlight.

They'll do the initial adjusting of the projector in the headlight. Once you get the headlight back and installed you'll have to fine tune the veritcal adjustment of the lights. That's easy. An allen headed bolt at the the top of the headlight.

There is a formula on doing it to get close but the easiest thing would be to find someone that has another Camaro (especially if it's an RS), put the cars side by side facing a wall and then just match the height adjustment to meet theirs.

Otherwise the basics are to pull your car up as close as possible to a wall and put a piece of tape in the middle of the light on the wall. Then put another about 2" below it. Then pull the car back until it's like 22' from that wall and make the top of the headlight beam touch the top of the tape you put 2" lower. I don't remember the exact but it's something like that.

I had to do that procedure but still found the lights to be a little too high. So, that was a good starting point but then I just lowered them a little to keep it out of the guy in front of me rearview mirror. I did that by just driving it around and seeing how they looked.
Thanks. Does the fine tuning require the bumper to be off?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #105
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme View Post
Thanks. Does the fine tuning require the bumper to be off?
Nope.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 01-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #106
dme
Davis

Quote:
Nope.
Awesome, then that $350 (after shipping and all) would probably be worth it to me.

Thanks for all your help! This is getting expensive, but when I think about having the RS package stock would have cost me $3600 more, it stings a little less.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #107
caverman

Once it's all done you'll love them though. Makes a world of difference at night. Still one of the best mods I've done.
Build Journal
Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #108
caverman

So if they are going to do the install are you going with the Mini H1 or D2S?
Build Journal
Old 01-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #109
dme
Davis

Quote:
So if they are going to do the install are you going with the Mini H1 or D2S?
Ahhh! I didn't think about that... Should I call and see how much extra that would be?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #110
caverman

Talk to them. See if it's a price difference. Ask them thier opinion on which one to use?
Build Journal
Old 01-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #111
dme
Davis

What kind of cost/trouble are we talking when one of these headlights burn out? What's their general lifespan?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #112
jjjaroscak

Drives: Cyber Gray 2011 2LT Camaro
Quote:
Once it's all done you'll love them though. Makes a world of difference at night. Still one of the best mods I've done.
jjjaroscak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #113
jjjaroscak

Drives: Cyber Gray 2011 2LT Camaro
Quote:
What kind of cost/trouble are we talking when one of these headlights burn out? What's their general lifespan?
$60 for a pair of bulbs, easy to change out, should be quite a long time with good quality bulbs like the ones theRetroFitSource gives you.
jjjaroscak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #114
dme
Davis

I called and talked to Andrew (the guy that does the retrofitting) and mentioned what you said about the Mini H1 vs D2S and he said he would go with the Mini H1. He said it has a much better cutoff than the D2S. I guess I'll stick with the Mini H1 then.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #115
erk5000

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to erk5000
Quote:
I am going for retrofitted headlights, AAC halos, and fog lights in my LS. For my week or so of research and price shopping I have some comparisons.

If I buy a fog light kit and halos from AAC, then send housings from eBay and AAC halos to RetroSource for them to install/paint/add the halos, I'd be at $1,436. If I just ordered the kit from RetroSource and installed it myself it would be $1,106. I could save about $35 ordering fog lights and housings from RockAuto and the bulbs from AAC.

If I do everything through AAC (them doing the retrofitting [Save a few hundred by buying headlight housings on eBay and sending them] and giving me fog light parts) I'd be looking at about $1,810. This is far too much in my opinion, so I don't think I'll go that route.

I'm trying to decide if $350 is worth having the headlights done for me.
This is the one reason why I would not go with AAC to do a retrofit. Plus they denied to do a retrofit if I supplied them with parts. I still have that email saved hah.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #116
caverman

Quote:
I called and talked to Andrew (the guy that does the retrofitting) and mentioned what you said about the Mini H1 vs D2S and he said he would go with the Mini H1. He said it has a much better cutoff than the D2S. I guess I'll stick with the Mini H1 then.
Nothing wrong with the Mini H1 at all. The cut-off line is definately crisp without a doubt.
Build Journal
Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #117
dme
Davis

Okay... Just waiting to hear something back about the harness before I get going with ordering everything. I'm excited! Going to run me right around $1500, but I love lights and having them just the way I want!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #118
dme
Davis

Quote:
How will you save over $700 by doing it yourself instead of sending it to the Retrofit guy?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #119
puertoricanfont

Quote:
How will you save over $700 by doing it yourself instead of sending it to the Retrofit guy?
If I send it to the retrofit guy it would cost me around 820$ for him to do my retrofit. ACC gave me a quote of about 1200$ if they did my retrofit. If i do the install myself here are my cost. 270 for the mini h1 kit which includes projectors, ballast, harness and everything you need for the retrofit. Add another 200 for dual color halos from phastek so my total is 470$ if i do my own install. From this i will save almost 400 from sending it to retrofit and about 630$ from sending it to acc. I dont know about you but this can be potential money for more mods lol
Old 01-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #120
dme
Davis

I got quoted around $650 (including parts) for the retrofit guy to install the Mini H1, paint the housings black, and install the AAC halos. That's why I asked how you would save $400.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #121
puertoricanfont

Quote:
I got quoted around $650 (including parts) for the retrofit guy to install the Mini H1, paint the housings black, and install the AAC halos. That's why I asked how you would save $400.
hey no problem bro. just informing people who want to do it themselves. Your install will cost about the same price as mine if you end up going with dual color halos.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #122
puertoricanfont

here is a excellent DIY i found on the forums last night. It definitely lets you see that its not a hard process just takes time and patience is all. Thank you for the member who did this DIY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nUnW9_qVt-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=x4r2G_g4vdA
Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #123
dme
Davis

Quote:
hey no problem bro. just informing people who want to do it themselves. Your install will cost about the same price as mine if you end up going with dual color halos.
My total project will be about $1,100 if I install the lights myself. About $1450 if I send them to retrofit source.

Have you looked into dual color halos? Is two colors worth looking "dotted"?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #124
puertoricanfont

Quote:
My total project will be about $1,100 if I install the lights myself. About $1450 if I send them to retrofit source.

Have you looked into dual color halos? Is two colors worth looking "dotted"?
1100 if you install yourself?!?!? The dual color halo only looks dotted when i will have it on red color. When on white the dotted look is very minimal. I'm also going to install acc afterburners and possibly fabricate my own led side markers so they will all have the led look but very minimal.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #125
dme
Davis

Quote:
1100 if you install yourself?!?!? The dual color halo only looks dotted when i will have it on red color. When on white the dotted look is very minimal. I'm also going to install acc afterburners and possibly fabricate my own led side markers so they will all have the led look but very minimal.
Haha. Yes. That's round numbers for retrofitting the headlights, painting them black, adding halos, putting in fog lights, getting matching LED bulbs, and having a custom harness made for everything to work how I want.