Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #69
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
No....unfortunately I don't. I didn't do any Halos. I've just seen a couple threads here and there. I think there is a video that AAC did that should at least give you some ideas.

Shouldn't be a huge deal. You're already going to have the housing open. I think in that video I saw where you take a drimel tool and make a couple notches to allow the halo ring to sit flat. Then you do something to keep it in place. Glue or something.

Of course you'll want to test the halo before sealing everything up.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #70
caverman

Here you go. You'll probably have to improvize a little since you'll be doing it to a Halogen housing and this is an RS housing.

Make sure to take pictures as you do it. Then post up a thread with your experience and what you did.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #71
erk5000

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to erk5000
AAC told me they wouldn't offer me retrofitting services if I bought my parts from another company. Kind of shitty if you ask me. The retrofitsource has the retrofit kit for a good price and would def save more money getting it from them along with buying the halo's from somebody else on the forum who is selling them at a lower price than to go straight with AAC. AAC told me that they won't gaurantee good quality from other cheap parts, but then again I'm getting my parts from theretrofitsource and they are good quality parts. If you are going for a retrofit with AAC, they will charge close to $800 for retrofit which involves projectors, painting housing black, & installing halo's. It's all up to you on which route you want to go with this.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #72
dme
Davis

Drives: 2012 LS Custom
The RS lights seem to be a much different install than the non-RS since they have the perfect spot to stick the halo onto. That's what I'm wondering... where in the world the Halos stick into the non-RS headlight.

Do you know if doing what I plan on doing and adding halos voids any warranties?
dme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #73
caverman

probably no warranty on your headlights any more. other than that I don't see what would be an issue.

Try some searches and look at the halos in a non-RS. I know they've done them so it's possible. Search in Google as well.
Build Journal
Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #74
dme
Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
probably no warranty on your headlights any more. other than that I don't see what would be an issue.

Try some searches and look at the halos in a non-RS. I know they've done them so it's possible. Search in Google as well.
Thanks. I've done a lot of searching and the best I can find is a picture tutorial by someone on this forum. It looks like they only stick on tiny spots near the top of the ring on each side, but it wasn't totally clear. I'm sure it'd make sense if I was looking at the light and had the halos in my hand.

I'm waiting until I can make sure it can be wired up how I want before I buy everything.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #75
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Drives: 1969 Camaro 2010 Camaro 1SS
Dme we did the diy non rs car actually did a few and an rs car too. On my car we drilled 2 small holes in the reflector and used black zip ties. We also painted the halo rings black and lightly sanded the lights to eliminate the white looks way better in black if I can help just shoot me a pm or email me mcals@aol.com ill post some pictures tonight
Old 01-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #76
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969to2010 View Post
Dme we did the diy non rs car actually did a few and an rs car too. On my car we drilled 2 small holes in the reflector and used black zip ties. We also painted the halo rings black and lightly sanded the lights to eliminate the white looks way better in black if I can help just shoot me a pm or email me mcals@aol.com ill post some pictures tonight
Where is the DIY on that? I would be curious to see it as well.
Build Journal
Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #77
dme
Davis

Quote:
Where is the DIY on that? I would be curious to see it as well.
Same here. I think I may go for some fog lights while I'm in there doing things. Now I need to do a little research on those. Do you have any suggestions on ones that would fit and match the general look of the RS style headlight I'll be doing? The bulbs in the headlight will be the 5000K (that is the white light, right?)
Old 01-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #78
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme View Post
Same here. I think I may go for some fog lights while I'm in there doing things. Now I need to do a little research on those. Do you have any suggestions on ones that would fit and match the general look of the RS style headlight I'll be doing? The bulbs in the headlight will be the 5000K (that is the white light, right?)
Do you already have fog lights? Assuming you do all you need to do is change out the bulbs. I tried a couple brands but ended up using AAC's 5202 LED bulb. It's not a perfect match with 5000k bulbs but it's real close. Probably as close as you're going to get without converting over to an actual HID foglight.

They aren't the cheapest bulbs but they aren't hard to change. Just make sure you go through the fenderwell. Back when I did them there weren't any DIY on going through the fender well so I did it the hard way and ended up snaping the tabs on the side. Of course AAC wouldn't touch them once they broke....and they snapped off real easy so be carefull.
Build Journal
Old 01-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #79
dme
Davis

Quote:
Do you already have fog lights? Assuming you do all you need to do is change out the bulbs. I tried a couple brands but ended up using AAC's 5202 LED bulb. It's not a perfect match with 5000k bulbs but it's real close. Probably as close as you're going to get without converting over to an actual HID foglight.

They aren't the cheapest bulbs but they aren't hard to change. Just make sure you go through the fenderwell. Back when I did them there weren't any DIY on going through the fender well so I did it the hard way and ended up snaping the tabs on the side. Of course AAC wouldn't touch them once they broke....and they snapped off real easy so be carefull.
Mine doesn't have any headlights currently. That's where the difficulty comes in. Haha.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #80
1969to2010
The Man in Black

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129679
Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #81
dme
Davis

caverman:

Since I don't have fog lights in my LS, would this be worth the money? http://www.automotivelightstore.com/lsfogpackage.aspx

I believe the bulbs they send are the ones you suggested to be a close match to 5000K headlights. 5000K is as close you can get to white, right?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #82
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme View Post
caverman:

Since I don't have fog lights in my LS, would this be worth the money? http://www.automotivelightstore.com/lsfogpackage.aspx

I believe the bulbs they send are the ones you suggested to be a close match to 5000K headlights. 5000K is as close you can get to white, right?
Honestly I haven't done much research on fog lights. Those from AAC look reasonable. I know BfXenon was selling a kit for about that much as well.

AAC's plasma bulbs weren't out back when I did fog lights. I used there 5202 LED bulbs. I can't give you an honest opinion on how they look compared to 5000k bulbs. From the pics they post it looks closer to 6000k bulbs though.
Build Journal
Old 01-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #83
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969to2010 View Post
Ahh....I remeber that thread now.

You don't happent to have pics of where you drilled and zip tied the halo to the housing you can post?

What about spray painting the halo black and then sanding it. That's the part that really has me curious. I would be nervous to do that personally. Once you spray it, they are definatley yours. I would also be scared to sand too much on the LEDs and cause one to come off or not work.
Build Journal
Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #84
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Ill check for a picture of that its one hole at the top of the reflector and one at the bottom. We used a power source to test the halos before we did anything to the halos. Painting them really wasn't a big deal at all
Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 AM   #85
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2016 scat pack charger
I wish someone could provide a DIY with the paiting of the chrome housing. I talked to theretrofitsource and it's only 230$ for their kit and if I do the install myself I would be saving over 800$ from sending them to one of the forums vendor. Appreciate the DIY tho!
puertoricanfont is offline   Reply With Quote