Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Dave123999

Drives: Saturn & Camaro SS
USAA 750 Discount Question Number 5464

I had a question regarding this discount, I emailed them and requested a card so that when my car gets delivered I am able to get the 750 off but they said "We received your request for a USAA membership card. We only provide cards to members eligible for property and casualty insurance products. Based on the information we have, you do not fall within this category, so we are unable to send you a membership card at this time."

I thought anyone could get the 750 off by joining...is this not true?
Appreciate the help in advanced!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet

Drives: SS/RS 6spd,Pace Car,ZL1,1LE,C7/Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave123999 View Post
I had a question regarding this discount, I emailed them and requested a card so that when my car gets delivered I am able to get the 750 off but they said "We received your request for a USAA membership card. We only provide cards to members eligible for property and casualty insurance products. Based on the information we have, you do not fall within this category, so we are unable to send you a membership card at this time."

Actually a full membership is required to qualify, insurance product or loan.
Just "joining" does not qualify, card is required.

this is the USAA definition:

"Availability restrictions apply to purchase of certain products.
Use of term "member" or "membership" does not convey any legal, eligibility, or ownership rights.

To be eligible for auto and property insurance, separated military personnel must have been separated with a discharge type of "Honorable."
Once you meet eligibility requirements and purchase auto or property insurance underwritten by USAA, eligibility is generally ongoing.
Eligible parent must purchase auto or property insurance for eligibility to pass to children.
Eligibility may change based on factors such as marital status, rank, or military status.
Eligibility guidelines are subject to change without notice.

Purchase of a non property and casualty insurance product, or an insurance policy offered through USAA General Agency, does not establish eligibility for or membership in USAA property and casualty insurance companies."

Hope that helps answers your question...
Probably not what you were hoping for....
Becky
734-479-7117 ...
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet.com
Available Camaro Inventory///Body Color XM Antenna
My Summit White SS///My Pace Car
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
If you have USAA insurance (car or home), Banking account (credit card), or Home mortgage, you are a member! You must do business with them to be a "Member".
Old 12-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet

Drives: SS/RS 6spd,Pace Car,ZL1,1LE,C7/Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMan View Post
If you have USAA insurance (car or home), Banking account (credit card), or Home mortgage, you are a member! You must do business with them to be a "Member".
734-479-7117 ...
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet.com
Available Camaro Inventory///Body Color XM Antenna
My Summit White SS///My Pace Car
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Sorry man... anyone can get a checking account there (which I highly recommend), but you have to have a military affiation to get the insurance and FULL membership benefits.

Here's a little more info on full membership...
https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/...s_usaa_for_you
Old 12-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
Dave123999

Drives: Saturn & Camaro SS
But it says "other individuals" can get shopping and discounts!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Mystic Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS
Funny - at our dealership they asked us if we were USAA members we said yes and they said OK. They didn't even ask for proof and gave us the discount... We didn't know about the discount until they mentioned it...

Granted we live in San Antonio where USAA is headquartered.. and my husband 'looks' military (he is a vet - but isn't active duty..but works on base) so they just asked.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
i had to show em my card.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Insurance is the Key... shopping and discounts are with other companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Blue View Post
Funny - at our dealership they asked us if we were USAA members we said yes and they said OK. They didn't even ask for proof and gave us the discount... We didn't know about the discount until they mentioned it...

Granted we live in San Antonio where USAA is headquartered.. and my husband 'looks' military (he is a vet - but isn't active duty..but works on base) so they just asked.
If he's a Vet then he should qualify for Membership... good that you got it, but your dealership, if audited could get dinged for not getting proof. They cracked down on that earlier this year and clarified the FULL membership rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k king View Post
i had to show em my card.
Me too.... membership has it's privleges...
Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #10
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Wouldn't worry too much about it. If they gave you a discount when they weren't supposed to, and GM audits them, THEY have to pay it (don't get suckered into thinking you have to make that up to them, if THEY hosed up). This will do wonders to their learning curve to ensure they cover their azz the next time for sure.

This isn't to say there aren't unscrupulous dealers out there, but I'm willing to bet there are some confused salespeople out there that don't exactly understand, or aren't up on the current updates to the rule and "innocently" make a mistake. They better get brushed up on it though, as their ignorance could cost the dealership, as well as his/her own comission, some $$.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #11
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Blue View Post

GM audit will bring it out and the dealership will have to pay!!!! Good for you, bad for dealer!!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
Mystic Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS
Oh - I have been a member (ins & banking) since 1991 and the hubby has been a member (ins) since about 2000. So we are members.. just didn't know about the discount before the dealer asked us.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Then all's good. Yup, $750, just like that. If your military, you get GM's Preffered Pricing also.. An added bonus, 2 great deals, just for serving your country. A little benefit to go with all the hardships.. lol.
SSFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
clarrkkent79

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Yes, but if you sign up and get a quote online as an "other individual" you will notice the $750 rebate is not reflected in your quote.

If you are military, it will be reflected regardless of whether or not you use their products.

I had my friend in the coast guard sign up and get a quote without using their products. His quote had the 750 rebate.

I signed up as a civilian with no affiliation to the military and the 750 was not quoted. Regardless, you can negotiate to the USAA price.

2011 Black 2SS/RS 6M with sunroof and Hurst shifter
clarrkkent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
Gbusy06
Tap Out

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS A6 SGM
I was given the discount without having insurance, banking accts...etc. I provided the dealer with my card and that was it. Keep trying!!
Gbusy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #16
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Would I still be a member if I have a personal loan from them or do I need a banking account? Or do I need ins?
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #17
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbusy06 View Post
I was given the discount without having insurance, banking accts...etc. I provided the dealer with my card and that was it. Keep trying!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
Would I still be a member if I have a personal loan from them or do I need a banking account? Or do I need ins?
You don't need to actually subscribe to any of it... but you do be a member that qualifies for insurance etc... (meaning you have FULL membership privleges whether you use them or not)

Bottom like if you were never in the Military or your parents were never in you probably don't qualify.

I didn't know about the 750 either when I bought my first Camaro... I handed them a USAA loan check and then I was told about it.. Had to change the numbers... LOL
Old 12-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #18
bigwayne3000

I am in the military. Marines to be exact. And I also have a personal loan thru them so I'm assuming I'm good to go. However my dealer said he needed a card but since I odnt have ins thru them I dont have nay type of card. I even spent 1/2 hr on phone w. USAA and they faxed them paperwork w/ my info and member id # and they still said it wasnt enough. Im going to pick up my car tues so hopefully they forget about it and it doesnt cause any problems.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #19
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
I am in the military. Marines to be exact. And I also have a personal loan thru them so I'm assuming I'm good to go. However my dealer said he needed a card but since I odnt have ins thru them I dont have nay type of card. I even spent 1/2 hr on phone w. USAA and they faxed them paperwork w/ my info and member id # and they still said it wasnt enough. Im going to pick up my car tues so hopefully they forget about it and it doesnt cause any problems.
WoW... an active duty ID and a printout of your member profile page should be plenty of proof... They are following it to the letter.

There was a crackdown a while back because a lot of folks were abusing the deal and the dealerships are now required to see the card or definitive proof... What they don't realize is the card is not really something that USAA sends out all the time since they don't expire and they don't really do anything except show your member number. Mine is probably 15 years old and I can't believe I still know where it is.

Print out everything you can and take it with you and don't let them not give it to you... you deserve it...
Old 12-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #20
bigwayne3000

Ok man I will thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #21
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Ok man I will thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
NP... and congrats on the car... post up some delivery pics...
Old 12-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #22
spurscar

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS A6
My dealer never asked for proof. And we're actually active members too, haha.

Guess the printout of their car buying/pricing service website was good enough?
Old 12-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #23
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscar View Post
My dealer never asked for proof. And we're actually active members too, haha.

Guess the printout of their car buying/pricing service website was good enough?
Yeah... some are more informed than others and then there are the ones that are taking it to the letter when they want to see an actual card that's not even easy for full members to get

Early on, people were just signing up w/ USAA and getting the discount. GM didn't know that USAA changed their membership requirements to allow anyone to get a checking account. No major proof other than an account was needed. This worked for a long time until the crack down.