Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
RAWarrior

Drives: '11 CGM/IOM 2SS 'vert '02 GMC Envoy
Graduating Tint from Top to Bottom?

Hi all! I'm looking at some of the cosmetic mods I want to do to my 'vert CGM that I ordered a couple of weeks ago. I got the CGM with a black top and I have been tossing around the thought of having the ragtop kind of fade into the grey with the tinting..having it go gradually from black at the top to grey at the bottom. I was talking to my Dad about it and he didn't think there was such a thing yet. Has anyone seen this or even heard of its existence? Thanks all for your help in advance!!
RAWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
RAWarrior

Bump......
Old 12-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i've seen something like it before. it was chrome to black. just call some local tint shops & tell them what you're looking for - they'll find it for you.

one word of advise, though: make daggum sure you get it done right, the pattern on all the windows lined up with each other, and a good height for the crossfade. i've seen too many terrible jobs that made me want to puke
Old 12-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
RAWarrior

Thanks Zebra! I wanted to see if it was even doable before getting excited about it. I appreciate the help!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
SuperH
Synergized

Drives: 2011 SGM M6 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to SuperH Send a message via AIM to SuperH Send a message via MSN to SuperH Send a message via Yahoo to SuperH
I'd just go with a good quality ceramic film. It will appear darker at the angle of light incidence, and it will appear lighter directly viewed. So, the tops of windows should appear darker on sunny days (while the sun is overhead). That's what mine does (it's all in how the light is reflected and absorbed; an optical illusion of sorts).

So, that may be close to the look you are going for, without having to deal with alignment of gradient (also known as fading or fader) films. A lot of these films have been deprecated as their longevity is an issue, since they are not dyed uniformly. They tend to fade very quickly. Tintdude.com may help you find a distributor. You'll want an experienced installer (as with any window film), to ensure that the gradients align.
SuperH is offline   Reply With Quote