Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Lava
LSU Tigers!!
 
Lava's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 257
2011 F-150 Ecoboost vs. Silverado and Ram

This is what I like to see, American motor companies going after each other making better vehicles each time. Competition makes everyone better!!
__________________
Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
coolman
Guest
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 4,812
Looks impressive. What do independent source say?
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
justa25thTA

 
justa25thTA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,612
Did you notice what gear ratio's they were running in each?
__________________
Yeah, I'll get around to it...
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner
 
King Sun's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville Fl
Posts: 1,079
dang
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 WS6
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,434
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Yeah, I think this may be a little rigged.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
BigDan

 
Drives: bug
Join Date: May 2009
Location: nv
Posts: 1,319
Nice compro video. Hopefully GM bring's back the baby duramax diesel for their 1/2 tons.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
fielderLS3


 
fielderLS3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Portage, Wisconsin
Posts: 3,981
Why didn't they use the 6.2 in the Chevy? Wouldn't it make more sense to compare top engine to top engine?

I'd like to see how the EcoBoost compares with Ford's new 6.2L. Ford is really pushing the EcoBoost in their marketing, with suggests that it may be turning out to be a hard sell among truck buyers. I for one am questioning it's long term reliability, particularly the turbos. A non-stop 150,000 mile run (with high gear revolutions per mile) on the dyno is not the same as 150,000 miles spread over 10 years with thousands of cold starts, heat cycles, idling and lower gear operation, and aging.
__________________
"Proven V-8 power with better efficiency than a turbo V-6"

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
wbt
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
Did you notice what gear ratio's they were running in each?
If you watch the video they point it out.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
BigDan

 
Drives: bug
Join Date: May 2009
Location: nv
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Why didn't they use the 6.2 in the Chevy? Wouldn't it make more sense to compare top engine to top engine?

I'd like to see how the EcoBoost compares with Ford's new 6.2L. Ford is really pushing the EcoBoost in their marketing, with suggests that it may be turning out to be a hard sell among truck buyers. I for one am questioning it's long term reliability, particularly the turbos. A non-stop 150,000 mile run (with high gear revolutions per mile) on the dyno is not the same as 150,000 miles spread over 10 years with thousands of cold starts, heat cycles, idling and lower gear operation, and aging.
I'm guessing its due to the fact that the 6.2L is only available as an option on Chevy's top of the line $40k LTZ model. I tried to see if its possible to get a regular cab 4wd with a 6.2L in it and you cant, you cant even get the 6.2L in a regular cab like Parish's old 05 4wd regular cab turbo 6.0L that run's 10's on youtube.

Turbo's and direct injection technology has been around for a long time now and most modern day turbo's are good for 200k+ so I wouldn't worry about the ecoboost engine
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
nick at night
 
nick at night's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 silverado
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: mardela, MD
Posts: 226
Promoting Ford F series pickups all day... Now that is a dirty job!
nick at night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech
 
Russo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raceland, LA
Posts: 1,376
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Dodge and GM ain't got a chance in the petrol truck segment...
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:42 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
Dodge and GM ain't got a chance in the petrol truck segment...
What makes you say that? GMs V8 line up meets or exceeds the competition in most regards. Does Ford have AFM?

If you think a high cost turbo V6 is superior then ok, but I'm told a turbo V6 towing a trailer up Baker Grade in plus 100 degree temps isn't something you ever want to do in the real world. Cooling that is a problem.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:46 PM   #13
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper
 
Kyle2k's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 3,321
Whoever is following these videos, please post the one of the baja race ecoboost, really want to see that!!
__________________
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #14
BigDan

 
Drives: bug
Join Date: May 2009
Location: nv
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
What makes you say that? GMs V8 line up meets or exceeds the competition in most regards. Does Ford have AFM?

If you think a high cost turbo V6 is superior then ok, but I'm told a turbo V6 towing a trailer up Baker Grade in plus 100 degree temps isn't something you ever want to do in the real world. Cooling that is a problem.

The factory turbo 6 cylinder in my Dodge does just fine towing the grades in the heat and I bet this Ford also does just fine. Why do you guy's think Ford would give us consumers a product is going to overheat and blow up its turbo's?

This is sounding an awful like "The 5.0L is maxed out from the factory" The ecoboost has already been out for a year now without any problem's and it's technology is also being used in the 4 cylinder version on the Explorer and future small cars.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #15
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech
 
Russo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raceland, LA
Posts: 1,376
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
What makes you say that? GMs V8 line up meets or exceeds the competition in most regards. Does Ford have AFM?
AFM? really? thats makes it better? not Direct Injection, Piston Cooling, DOHC, Twin Variable Cam timing, etc? personally, id get the 5.0 because Ford Racing already has a 2.3 blower out, which im sure will be a warrantied 500hp bolt on upgrade..

with regards to towing with 6 cylinder engines, look at Cummins.. Dodge been using it forever.. when Fiat updates the diesel trucks, you can kiss the Duramax and Powerstroke (or whatever Ford calls the new inhouse engine) goodbye..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:18 AM   #16
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
AFM? really? thats makes it better? not Direct Injection, Piston Cooling, DOHC, Twin Variable Cam timing, etc? personally, id get the 5.0 because Ford Racing already has a 2.3 blower out, which im sure will be a warrantied 500hp bolt on upgrade..

with regards to towing with 6 cylinder engines, look at Cummins.. Dodge been using it forever.. when Fiat updates the diesel trucks, you can kiss the Duramax and Powerstroke (or whatever Ford calls the new inhouse engine) goodbye..
It's the 6.7 scorpion now. BTW, the Cummins has always been a reliable engine, yet that certainly does not make it the best.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:54 AM   #17
Sevn86


 
Sevn86's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 13,085
Looks like im gonna be looking into the Ford F150 if i decide to buy a truck! Great Video!
__________________
2LT, RS, AT6 ABM, Gray Leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by baclarsen View Post
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford F-150 With EcoBoost Rated at 365 Horsepower, 420 Pounds-Feet Sax1031 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 51 10-26-2010 06:43 PM
GM Reveals 2011 Chevrolet Silverado HD FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 55 03-04-2010 02:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.