Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Lava
LSU Tigers!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
2011 F-150 Ecoboost vs. Silverado and Ram

This is what I like to see, American motor companies going after each other making better vehicles each time. Competition makes everyone better!!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
coolman

Looks impressive. What do independent source say?
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Did you notice what gear ratio's they were running in each?
Old 12-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
dang
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
shank0668

Drives: 1998 Sahara
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Yeah, I think this may be a little rigged.
shank0668 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
BigDan

Drives: bug
Nice compro video. Hopefully GM bring's back the baby duramax diesel for their 1/2 tons.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
fielderLS3

Drives: 02 Alero, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Why didn't they use the 6.2 in the Chevy? Wouldn't it make more sense to compare top engine to top engine?

I'd like to see how the EcoBoost compares with Ford's new 6.2L. Ford is really pushing the EcoBoost in their marketing, with suggests that it may be turning out to be a hard sell among truck buyers. I for one am questioning it's long term reliability, particularly the turbos. A non-stop 150,000 mile run (with high gear revolutions per mile) on the dyno is not the same as 150,000 miles spread over 10 years with thousands of cold starts, heat cycles, idling and lower gear operation, and aging.

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
Did you notice what gear ratio's they were running in each?
If you watch the video they point it out.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
BigDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Why didn't they use the 6.2 in the Chevy? Wouldn't it make more sense to compare top engine to top engine?

I'd like to see how the EcoBoost compares with Ford's new 6.2L. Ford is really pushing the EcoBoost in their marketing, with suggests that it may be turning out to be a hard sell among truck buyers. I for one am questioning it's long term reliability, particularly the turbos. A non-stop 150,000 mile run (with high gear revolutions per mile) on the dyno is not the same as 150,000 miles spread over 10 years with thousands of cold starts, heat cycles, idling and lower gear operation, and aging.
I'm guessing its due to the fact that the 6.2L is only available as an option on Chevy's top of the line $40k LTZ model. I tried to see if its possible to get a regular cab 4wd with a 6.2L in it and you cant, you cant even get the 6.2L in a regular cab like Parish's old 05 4wd regular cab turbo 6.0L that run's 10's on youtube.

Turbo's and direct injection technology has been around for a long time now and most modern day turbo's are good for 200k+ so I wouldn't worry about the ecoboost engine
Old 12-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
nick at night

Drives: 2003 silverado
Promoting Ford F series pickups all day... Now that is a dirty job!
nick at night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Dodge and GM ain't got a chance in the petrol truck segment...
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
Dodge and GM ain't got a chance in the petrol truck segment...
What makes you say that? GMs V8 line up meets or exceeds the competition in most regards. Does Ford have AFM?

If you think a high cost turbo V6 is superior then ok, but I'm told a turbo V6 towing a trailer up Baker Grade in plus 100 degree temps isn't something you ever want to do in the real world. Cooling that is a problem.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Whoever is following these videos, please post the one of the baja race ecoboost, really want to see that!!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:33 PM   #14
BigDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
What makes you say that? GMs V8 line up meets or exceeds the competition in most regards. Does Ford have AFM?

If you think a high cost turbo V6 is superior then ok, but I'm told a turbo V6 towing a trailer up Baker Grade in plus 100 degree temps isn't something you ever want to do in the real world. Cooling that is a problem.

The factory turbo 6 cylinder in my Dodge does just fine towing the grades in the heat and I bet this Ford also does just fine. Why do you guy's think Ford would give us consumers a product is going to overheat and blow up its turbo's?

This is sounding an awful like "The 5.0L is maxed out from the factory" The ecoboost has already been out for a year now without any problem's and it's technology is also being used in the 4 cylinder version on the Explorer and future small cars.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #15
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
AFM? really? thats makes it better? not Direct Injection, Piston Cooling, DOHC, Twin Variable Cam timing, etc? personally, id get the 5.0 because Ford Racing already has a 2.3 blower out, which im sure will be a warrantied 500hp bolt on upgrade..

with regards to towing with 6 cylinder engines, look at Cummins.. Dodge been using it forever.. when Fiat updates the diesel trucks, you can kiss the Duramax and Powerstroke (or whatever Ford calls the new inhouse engine) goodbye..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #16
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
AFM? really? thats makes it better? not Direct Injection, Piston Cooling, DOHC, Twin Variable Cam timing, etc? personally, id get the 5.0 because Ford Racing already has a 2.3 blower out, which im sure will be a warrantied 500hp bolt on upgrade..

with regards to towing with 6 cylinder engines, look at Cummins.. Dodge been using it forever.. when Fiat updates the diesel trucks, you can kiss the Duramax and Powerstroke (or whatever Ford calls the new inhouse engine) goodbye..
It's the 6.7 scorpion now. BTW, the Cummins has always been a reliable engine, yet that certainly does not make it the best.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #17
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Looks like im gonna be looking into the Ford F150 if i decide to buy a truck! Great Video!
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:25 AM   #18
BigDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Whoever is following these videos, please post the one of the baja race ecoboost, really want to see that!!
I'm impressed and wouldn't mind a straight up trade on my 1 ton Cummins Ram for a V6 ecoboost F-150 because I'm only pulling my Toyota Rockcrawler which is 8k max and my truck is a little overkill for for my need's but its bad ass slamming gears with 475whp/900wtq truck. I don't care much for the looks of the regular F-150, so it would have to be a ecoboost F-150 that looks like a Raptor or diesel to hit $5 a gallon again for me to trade. I just looked on Ford's site and the Raptor can now tow 8k with the new 2011 super crew option up from 5k on the shorter super cab . I cant believe the the ecoboost has a max tow rating of 11,300lbs and can smoke V8's up a grade, that's just crazy. Hopefully they will offer the ecoboost in a striped down regular cab w/ 2 and 4wd for the crazies who want to race them on the side.

Baja Torture test

NASCAR Torture Test

Dyno Torture Test

Last edited by BigDan; 01-01-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #19
rayhawk

Drives: Trailblazer SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
The factory turbo 6 cylinder in my Dodge does just fine towing the grades in the heat and I bet this Ford also does just fine. Why do you guy's think Ford would give us consumers a product is going to overheat and blow up its turbo's?

This is sounding an awful like "The 5.0L is maxed out from the factory" The ecoboost has already been out for a year now without any problem's and it's technology is also being used in the 4 cylinder version on the Explorer and future small cars.
Are you really comparing a diesel to a gasoline engine? There are significant differences between the two. You can speculate that the ecoboost will be a good motor 5-10 years from now, but it is just that, speculation. To claim it shares any characteristics of a diesel because it has a turbocharger?

It is common sense that a larger displacement n/a motor with significantly lower average cylinder pressure will last longer than a boosted small displacement high rpm motor like the ecoboost. Rings are rings and there is no getting around that, the less surface area you have, the worse it is for longevity. Comparing the ecoboost to a 3500 rpm diesel is a pretty big stretch.

07 2WD Trailblazer SS, LS1 E-fans, 4" FWI, pcmforless tune
72 VW Beetle, 2275cc, Dual 44 IDF's
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #20
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
If you watch the video they point it out.

I know and they conveniently use the worst gearing for the Chevy and the best for the Ford. I do like the new eco-boost though and hope it is a rousing success.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #21
BigDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Are you really comparing a diesel to a gasoline engine? There are significant differences between the two. You can speculate that the ecoboost will be a good motor 5-10 years from now, but it is just that, speculation. To claim it shares any characteristics of a diesel because it has a turbocharger?

It is common sense that a larger displacement n/a motor with significantly lower average cylinder pressure will last longer than a boosted small displacement high rpm motor like the ecoboost. Rings are rings and there is no getting around that, the less surface area you have, the worse it is for longevity. Then how come Turbo diesels with 17:1-22:1 compression last longer then said NA small block? Comparing the ecoboost to a 3500 rpm diesel is a pretty big stretch.
My post you quoted of mine was a direct response to another members statement that the ecoboost is all new un tested technology but it isnt since DI and Turbo's have been apart of the automotive industry for decades now. That's all I was trying to say, and yes a diesel engine will out last an ecoboost.

Your second statement doesn't hold true because if NA small block Chevy's are so dang reliable then how come every car that came from the factory with one, is now no longer on the roads but all these little 1.8L-2.2L 10:1-11:1 compression Honda engines are still alive and kicking? The older gen 2 and gen 3 small block Chevy's suck for long term reliability and were lucky to hit 100k w/o a rebuild and are now extinct on the roads. Gen 3's from the 99+ are good for about 130k, but nothing like smaller Honda and Toyota 4 cylinders that run higher compression.

Last edited by BigDan; 01-01-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #22
chrisx66

Drives: 66 Chevelle 8:02 @174
Quote:

Quote:
My post you quoted of mine was a direct response to another members statement that the ecoboost is all new un tested technology but it isnt since DI and Turbo's have been apart of the automotive industry for decades now. That's all I was trying to say, and yes a diesel engine will out last an ecoboost.

Your second statement doesn't hold true because if NA small block Chevy's are so dang reliable then how come every car that came from the factory with one, is now no longer on the roads but all these little 1.8L-2.2L 10:1-11:1 compression Honda engines are still alive and kicking? The older gen 2 and gen 3 small block Chevy's suck for long term reliability and were lucky to hit 100k w/o a rebuild and are now extinct on the roads. Gen 3's from the 99+ are good for about 130k, but nothing like smaller Honda and Toyota 4 cylinders that run higher compression.

I dont know where you get your information, but i happen to be a senior master tech at a Ford dealer for 22 years . Ford gave consumers the 6.0 diesel that blows head gasket, turbos, oil and egr coolers. When they came out with the 6.4 they said they tested it a million miles in severe situations and climates. I guess they should have tested a million and one miles because it turned to be a piece of shit as well. Our shop is full of them so to say that Ford wouldnt give the consumer a product that will not overheat, blow turbos, or blow up is false information.

We have had problems with the ecoboost engine, so to say its problem free is just false information as well, we were getting them of the transport truck with variuos electrical and engine problems, but maybe you know more about them than i do. We have a few fleet customers that have Chevy trucks as well as Fords some with tbi 5.7"s, vortec 5.7's and some with 5.3's and 6.0's that have well over 300k on them with no powetrain issues. So more false information, maybe you should try working on them and seeing the problems first hand before you post all your infinite knowledge on the products.
chrisx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #23
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 13 SRX Premium 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx66 View Post
I dont know where you get your information, but i happen to be a senior master tech at a Ford dealer for 22 years . Ford gave consumers the 6.0 diesel that blows head gasket, turbos, oil and egr coolers. When they came out with the 6.4 they said they tested it a million miles in severe situations and climates. I guess they should have tested a million and one miles because it turned to be a piece of shit as well. Our shop is full of them so to say that Ford wouldnt give the consumer a product that will not overheat, blow turbos, or blow up is false information.

We have had problems with the ecoboost engine, so to say its problem free is just false information as well, we were getting them of the transport truck with variuos electrical and engine problems, but maybe you know more about them than i do. We have a few fleet customers that have Chevy trucks as well as Fords some with tbi 5.7"s, vortec 5.7's and some with 5.3's and 6.0's that have well over 300k on them with no powetrain issues. So more false information, maybe you should try working on them and seeing the problems first hand before you post all your infinite knowledge on the products.
Thanks for a "front lines" view! This is what we need more of, not just paper and youtube experts!!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #24
BigDan

^ You're totally right the International 6.0L and 6.4L are the most unreliable diesel engine ever made. I was mainly talking about good diesel engines like the Duramax and Cummins not the POS International Superduty engines. Your also right about fleet vortecs, I've seen them have over 400k on Astro van's that I use to drive for the county, but a lot of that goes to the impeccable service history and daily inspections performed on fleet vehicles.

Thanks for the ecoboost heads up. Have you seen any blowen turbo's or head gaskets yet.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #25
chrisx66

Drives: 66 Chevelle 8:02 @174
Quote:
^ You're totally right the International 6.0L and 6.4L are the most unreliable diesel engine ever made. I was mainly talking about good diesel engines like the Duramax and Cummins not the POS International Superduty engines. Your also right about fleet vortecs, I've seen them have over 400k on Astro van's that I use to drive for the county, but a lot of that goes to the impeccable service history and daily inspections performed on fleet vehicles.

Thanks for the ecoboost heads up. Have you seen any blowen turbo's or head gaskets yet.

We've replaced a few turbo's and one blown engine on the ecoboost in my shop, no blown head gaskets yet. I will look on the Ford tech message boards to see what other techs have been seeing across the country.

Nice car btw the wheels really set it off.
chrisx66 is offline   Reply With Quote