Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #579
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Okay. I'm scratching my head here. Still, from that thread, it sounds like a PCV issue. If the MAF was backwards you'd have noticed that long ago. I dunno, but like troubleshooting.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #580
Warhead

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I am not a certified GM tech just a back yard knuckle buster but I have never recalled a vacuum leak causing smoke out of exhaust. Does it start right up again after it dies and if it does will it still smoke like it was before it died? If there is no SES light I would venture to say everything is hooked up correctly and working.

Assuming (dirty word) everything is installed properly, there really isnt alot that would cause this. If it was me I would run it again til it died then pull the plugs to see if they are wet. May be a leaking intercooler.
Warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #581
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
leaking intercooler.
This popped in my head and I cringe. BUT. It it were, it would foul up and not start again. I can wait a minute or two and start it and it run fine again for the same amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Okay. I'm scratching my head here. Still, from that thread, it sounds like a PCV issue. If the MAF was backwards you'd have noticed that long ago. I dunno, but like troubleshooting.
I"m hoping my splice coupler on one or both wires in no good. I'll check when I get home.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #582
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
I am not a certified GM tech just a back yard knuckle buster but I have never recalled a vacuum leak causing smoke out of exhaust. Does it start right up again after it dies and if it does will it still smoke like it was before it died? If there is no SES light I would venture to say everything is hooked up correctly and working.

Assuming (dirty word) everything is installed properly, there really isnt alot that would cause this. If it was me I would run it again til it died then pull the plugs to see if they are wet. May be a leaking intercooler.
That is an interesting theory, you could also check level in intercooler reservoir. Plug check is always a good idea (lean or rich could be ruled in or out also).
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #583
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Leaking intercooler would fly with the Edelbrock SC as there are intercoolers in the intake.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the Maggie works like this....however, if their intercooler has a crack in it, I could see the antifreeze traveling upstream into the blower then into the cylinder. Enough for the tell-tale white smoke of coolant..I would think there would be a hint of anti-freeze smell in the exhaust though.
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #584
PQ
Booooosted.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #585
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Oh man, I hope it's not the intercooler! YIKES
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #586
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@JDP View Post
Oh man, I hope it's not the intercooler! YIKES
Hey Rick, did you look at the video?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #587
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Hey Rick, did you look at the video?
I did. I can't think of what it could be. I'll ask Jordan if he can put his finger on it. He's my Yoda!
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #588
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
I also have a friend that might be able to help,
sending him the video and some of the posts.

6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer 6-23-10
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #589
Huggerorange73
Banned

It does suck that you're having all these issues ( seems to be the norm for you though ) However, it's nice to see someone has worse luck than I do!

I kid I kid!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #590
wkdivr

Drives: 2004 GMC
How many miles are on this unit? It's used, right? IF there's a crack in the intercooler, you would see that white "smoke" (steam, actually), and you would notice the level in the Intercooler tank being lower. If remove a plug, does it smell like antifreeze? ( like a sweet smell) You don't have a wideband A/F gage on it yet, do you? It should read 14.7 (or thereabouts) at idle. HMMMMMMM
wkdivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #591
wkdivr

Drives: 2004 GMC
Actually....it's a good learning experience!!!
wkdivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #592
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@JDP View Post
I did. I can't think of what it could be. I'll ask Jordan if he can put his finger on it. He's my Yoda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro68 View Post
I also have a friend that might be able to help,
sending him the video and some of the posts.
Thank you guys. I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Of course it's gonna take getting home and putting some of this to the test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
It does suck that you're having all these issues ( seems to be the norm for you though ) However, it's nice to see someone has worse luck than I do!

I kid I kid!
No doubt. lol

I do want to point out that I don't believe it's an intercooler leak thing. I still say tune or air. Ultimately air.

The guy who sold me this unit didn't have any problems and no way they crack this cast iron unit in shipping.

I don't know the guy personaly, but I know Tim. It was not Tim who sold me the unit but Tim does his engine work and Tim put me in touch with him. Tim didn't pack the unit up or anything. And still to Tims credit has taken good care of me.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #593
Luvpilot

Drives: GM
You are obviously burning something, now the question is what?
That "smoke" looked alot like steam from the vid.

It would take about 10 minutes to unbolt the throttle body and shine a flashlight in the blower. Might see some evidence of whatever you are burning.

That would be my first step, because I doubt the maf is causing what you have.
Luvpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #594
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkdivr View Post
How many miles are on this unit? It's used, right? IF there's a crack in the intercooler, you would see that white "smoke" (steam, actually), and you would notice the level in the Intercooler tank being lower. If remove a plug, does it smell like antifreeze? ( like a sweet smell) You don't have a wideband A/F gage on it yet, do you? It should read 14.7 (or thereabouts) at idle. HMMMMMMM
I'll do some of these checks when I get home. Again, It's HIGHLY unlikely it's the intercooler. As I said this morning, it would be too much water to run good for the first minute on startup. I can turn it off and restart a minute later and it run great for a minute again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkdivr View Post
Actually....it's a good learning experience!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvpilot View Post
You are obviously burning something, now the question is what?
That "smoke" looked alot like steam from the vid.

It would take about 10 minutes to unbolt the throttle body and shine a flashlight in the blower. Might see some evidence of whatever you are burning.

That would be my first step, because I doubt the maf is causing what you have.
Cannot see far enough into the blower.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #595
Huggerorange73
Banned

Randy...

Fly me down there and give me a case of beer...we'll figure it out.

Win/Win....car gets fixed and I get out of this god forsaken winter hell!