Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
trekmanone
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 118
Top Tier Gasoline Recommended?

Reading through a Camaro manual waiting for my new 2LT to arrive later this week. Recommends "Top Tier" gasoline. I've read about the new engine oil but this was a new one.
www.toptiergas.com

Even the web site looks a little hookie given BMW, GM, Honda & Toyota set the standard.

What do you Camaro owners think of this gas thing?
trekmanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
The V6 takes regular 87 octane.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
trekmanone
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
The V6 takes regular 87 octane.
My understanding, after reading the link, is Top Tier is a detergent standard used in all levels of octane gas, at the oil companies stations listed. Not top tier octane (93) gasoline.

For example, Valero is a huge Texas oil company with zillions of gas stations but it's not on the list...

So it seems the V6 takes regular TOP TIER 87 octane detergent gas.

From the owners manual:

Fuel
Use of the recommended fuel
is an important part of the proper
maintenance of this vehicle. To help
keep the engine clean and maintain
optimum vehicle performance, we
recommend the use of gasoline
advertised as TOP TIER Detergent
Gasoline.
Look for the TOP TIER label on the
fuel pump to ensure gasoline meets
enhanced detergency standards
developed by auto companies. A list
of marketers providing TOP TIER
Detergent Gasoline can be found at
www.toptiergas.com.
trekmanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekmanone View Post
Reading through a Camaro manual waiting for my new 2LT to arrive later this week. Recommends "Top Tier" gasoline. I've read about the new engine oil but this was a new one.
www.toptiergas.com

Even the web site looks a little hookie given BMW, GM, Honda & Toyota set the standard.

What do you Camaro owners think of this gas thing?
Top Tier Gasoline is an unofficial designation for gasoline formulas that kept up a high-enough level of detergents in their fuel AFTER the gov't lowered their standards. Many companies cut the additive levels to save costs since it wasn't mandated...but the listed car companies recognized a loss of quality as they designed their engines...so they made a little stink.

It seems the biggest issue is gunk buildup...which can be cured with the occasional dose of fuel-system cleaner. (But not everyone does this...and the car companies know it).
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
FirstandFifthGen
 
FirstandFifthGen's Avatar
 
Drives: 68 Camaro, 48 Chevy truck, 36 Chevy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 214
Detergents also help reduce carbon buildup in engines. I recommend using the top tier options, in particular Chevron and Shell.
FirstandFifthGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
pennor
 
pennor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT - 73 Corvette 454
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 240
I don't put a lot of stock in the "top tier" designation that you see on anyone's pump. Actually I take the whole argument that one brand of gasoline is all that different from any other with a huge grain of salt. I've watched the local wholesale distributors tanker trucks in my town as they stop at the Chevron station, then go on down to the 76 station, and then over to Costco. I doubt that they carry all those different "brands" of gas in separate little compartments in the tank. To further prop up my argument I know for a fact that there are only two refineries in the Pacific Northwest, both of them up on the north Washington coast. One is a BP/Arco refinery, the other was labeled Texaco the last time I was up there a few years ago. They both pump gasoline into a pipeline that runs down the Puget sound to Oregon and on to Eugene. The jobers pull thier gas from that pipline and fill their storage tanks. These wholesalers are not labeled Chevron or Shell or Arco. They are Harris Oil, Carson Oil, Mark Nelson Oil, etc. They in turn sell gas to the dealers and deliver it by truck. I don't see that there can be any significant difference other than the grade and octane level.
pennor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
VTXrider

 
VTXrider's Avatar
 
Drives: RY 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennor View Post
I don't put a lot of stock in the "top tier" designation that you see on anyone's pump. Actually I take the whole argument that one brand of gasoline is all that different from any other with a huge grain of salt. I've watched the local wholesale distributors tanker trucks in my town as they stop at the Chevron station, then go on down to the 76 station, and then over to Costco. I doubt that they carry all those different "brands" of gas in separate little compartments in the tank. To further prop up my argument I know for a fact that there are only two refineries in the Pacific Northwest, both of them up on the north Washington coast. One is a BP/Arco refinery, the other was labeled Texaco the last time I was up there a few years ago. They both pump gasoline into a pipeline that runs down the Puget sound to Oregon and on to Eugene. The jobers pull thier gas from that pipline and fill their storage tanks. These wholesalers are not labeled Chevron or Shell or Arco. They are Harris Oil, Carson Oil, Mark Nelson Oil, etc. They in turn sell gas to the dealers and deliver it by truck. I don't see that there can be any significant difference other than the grade and octane level.
The difference in Top Tier gas occurs after the gas leaves the pipeline and as it is put in the truck for delivery. Top Tier brands guarantee a certain level of detergents, others may or may not have it. As you said, in small markets I suspect all stations have it as the same trucks are delivering to all stations. The gas coming from the pipeline is all the same and in fact it is impossible to know what company refined it since it all mixes in the pipe. The detergents and ethenol in mixed in when it is loaded into the trucks.

Personally I don't care about top tier since I use a separate detergent that I mix in and use a fuel system cleaner in addition periodically.
__________________
VTXrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
cuspid
 
Drives: 04 z06 yellow
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Clearwater,Fl
Posts: 249
Can you say techron
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techron
cuspid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 5,101
black beans from El Pollo Loco.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
2011 SS Camaro
 
2011 SS Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS - LS3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chatsworth, CA
Posts: 54
Here's the link your looking for

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
__________________
2011 IOM LS3 - Delivered on July 22, 2010
1 7/8" Kooks w/Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust, CAI Intake
2011 SS Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Sneeks20
Account Suspended
 
Drives: your woman wild...
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 751
Thats it, no more Arco for me im switching to Chevron wit Techron
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist
 
BlkThndr66's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 RY 2LT Camaro '96 Mustang Cobra
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 227
I for one can vouch for some of this. I have the V6 and when I fill up with any grade [87-93] at Speedway or Thorntons, 50% of the time my check engine light will come on.
If I fill up with BP or Shell it goes off basically after 1 or 2 start-ups. I had been using premium [92-93] octane because I thought the gas grade was the problem; turns out it's just the brand of gasoline. Goodbye speedy rewards card. hahahaha
__________________
35% tint, faded gill stripes, yellow stitching, black spoiler, decklid stripes
To-Do List:
Oracle HALO multicolor headlight + fogs kit; Bumblebee striping kit; Flowmaster 3-chamber cat-back; Roto-Fab Intake.
Team LLT-M6
BlkThndr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Sneeks20
Account Suspended
 
Drives: your woman wild...
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkThndr66 View Post
I for one can vouch for some of this. I have the V6 and when I fill up with any grade [87-93] at Speedway or Thorntons, 50% of the time my check engine light will come on.
If I fill up with BP or Shell it goes off basically after 1 or 2 start-ups. I had been using premium [92-93] octane because I thought the gas grade was the problem; turns out it's just the brand of gasoline. Goodbye speedy rewards card. hahahaha
Really? Thats imteresting. Yeah i use nothing but premium. Might check out Mobil,76,Chevron. Their prices are currently sky rocketing.
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
RubyCamaro
SSlayer
 
RubyCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Springfield, TN
Posts: 12,868
V6 may run on 87 octane with no damage, but it runs a lot better with 93! I could definately tell a difference. I also run only Top Tier gasolines & use only Havoline 1 synthetic oil (which also made a noticable difference). I will protect my baby's engine any way I can.
__________________
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
1up5dn
 
1up5dn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black RS SS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 137
Well I am now a believer in Chevron. I cannot get anything better than 91 octane in the area, but was told to at least use a station that sells lots of premium so it isn't stale. I figured I would try Costco, since their premium is the same price as most station's low grades. Well, I started to notice my car seemed "flat" and would once in a while have a moment of running great.

Long story, so to get to the end, I changed to Chevron exclusively and every tankful since then I have set personal records for miles per tank and the car is waking up! I even changed plugs and wires trying to get to the bottom of this.

So, for me at least, the extra cost of Chevron is paying for itself when I am getting close to 30-40 more miles before the fuel light comes on.


Chris....
1up5dn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #16
heRS


 
heRS's Avatar
 
Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 6,039
I only use Chevron 93 in mine. Some guys say there's no difference in performance between 93 and 87 in the V6 but I can tell that my Camaro runs better on the 93 so nuttin' but the best for my baby!
__________________
Tori
click the sig pic to view my build thread


heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead
 
TooCool5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central CT
Posts: 3,566
To qualify for top tier all three grades must have the required detergents.
Most have detergents in the mid and prem grades but skimp on Reg gas.
So if you use reg 87 you want to use top tier to ensure a clean engine.
My LLT loves every minute of reg gasoline.
__________________
2010 Camaro Auto, Inferno Orange, Titanium Interior, Gearhead Wheels AIRAID CAI
TooCool5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #18
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN
 
Jekyll-N-Hyde's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Between Weatherford and Azle TX hway730
Posts: 2,139
I run shell Gasoline 93 octane. If I go on a Trip I time my gas stops to when I see a Shell. If I dont see one and need fuel then Exxon/Mobil is my 2nd choice however when im at home its Shell.

I use a Gas station outside of the city limits where I live it doesnt have as much of the polution addidtive inside of it you can tell since its not really a green tint like in the city.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #19
jmaryt

 
Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: salem,nh
Posts: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennor View Post
I don't put a lot of stock in the "top tier" designation that you see on anyone's pump. Actually I take the whole argument that one brand of gasoline is all that different from any other with a huge grain of salt. I've watched the local wholesale distributors tanker trucks in my town as they stop at the Chevron station, then go on down to the 76 station, and then over to Costco. I doubt that they carry all those different "brands" of gas in separate little compartments in the tank. To further prop up my argument I know for a fact that there are only two refineries in the Pacific Northwest, both of them up on the north Washington coast. One is a BP/Arco refinery, the other was labeled Texaco the last time I was up there a few years ago. They both pump gasoline into a pipeline that runs down the Puget sound to Oregon and on to Eugene. The jobers pull thier gas from that pipline and fill their storage tanks. These wholesalers are not labeled Chevron or Shell or Arco. They are Harris Oil, Carson Oil, Mark Nelson Oil, etc. They in turn sell gas to the dealers and deliver it by truck. I don't see that there can be any significant difference other than the grade and octane level.
you are correct!..here in new england around the boston area is a tank "farm" where huge storage tanks of gasoline are held..from the highway one can observe truck tankers loading the product,and it's not unusual to observe
a mobile tanker right next to a "independent" tanker "tapping" the exact same gas from the exact same tank...the irony in all of this,is that the various tankers after having "gassed" up at this one storage tank,will then drive to their respective stations to "unload" this gas into underground storage tanks,which may have a "price differential" of sometimes up to,and including 20 cents a gal. difference!..yet the "source " of this fuel all came from the original storage tank at this particular tank "farm"..unbelievable,but true!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #20
MS3DALE

 
MS3DALE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Carmichaels,Pa.
Posts: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
I run shell Gasoline 93 octane. If I go on a Trip I time my gas stops to when I see a Shell.
Same here,If I'm on a trip and can't find a Shell station....I'll run Chevron 93.
__________________

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'07 SILVERADO Z71 1500 Ext.Cab Z71 6.0 "VortecMAX"-GMPP CAI-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
jmaryt

 
Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: salem,nh
Posts: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
To qualify for top tier all three grades must have the required detergents.
Most have detergents in the mid and prem grades but skimp on Reg gas.
So if you use reg 87 you want to use top tier to ensure a clean engine.
My LLT loves every minute of reg gasoline.
never heard of that!..tell me,i am curious,what is the source of your information?..doesn't seem logical to me that regular 87 would be left out at a 'top tier" station!..why would they be essentially "shooting" themselves in the foot by just offering it in mid,or high grade!..i say this because just about "all" cars CAN run on 87 regular!..just sayin!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #22
cuspid
 
Drives: 04 z06 yellow
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Clearwater,Fl
Posts: 249
Many of the corvette guys have cleared up fuel guage problems with the toptier gas
cuspid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #23
cuspid
 
Drives: 04 z06 yellow
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Clearwater,Fl
Posts: 249
From z06vette forum poll
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f4/poll-768-a.html
cuspid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #24
VTXrider

 
VTXrider's Avatar
 
Drives: RY 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
never heard of that!..tell me,i am curious,what is the source of your information?..doesn't seem logical to me that regular 87 would be left out at a 'top tier" station!..why would they be essentially "shooting" themselves in the foot by just offering it in mid,or high grade!..i say this because just about "all" cars CAN run on 87 regular!..just sayin!
I think you are mis-understanding the other post.

He is saying that at Top Tier stations all grades get the detergents. At most other stations only Premium or Premium & mid-grade get the detergents. Therefore, if you use regular gas it is better to use Top Tier stations.
__________________
VTXrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #25
ron10


 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LOUISVILLE,KY..
Posts: 7,317
i use shell,it is a top tier gas and they are located most anywhere.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top Gear - Killing a toyota part 1, 2, and 3 Crowley General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 11 07-01-2011 12:38 PM
Joke tellin' page Mark A Collier Sr Off-topic Discussions 500 12-26-2010 12:49 AM
Mustang and Camaro top list of most searched cars All-Or-Nothing General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 6 08-14-2010 11:13 AM
Silver stays top color for vehicles; red, orange rise KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 12 11-13-2009 07:27 PM
Ford gets 5 top quality awards KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 5 06-13-2007 12:28 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.