Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
trekmanone

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
Top Tier Gasoline Recommended?

Reading through a Camaro manual waiting for my new 2LT to arrive later this week. Recommends "Top Tier" gasoline. I've read about the new engine oil but this was a new one.
www.toptiergas.com

Even the web site looks a little hookie given BMW, GM, Honda & Toyota set the standard.

What do you Camaro owners think of this gas thing?
trekmanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
The V6 takes regular 87 octane.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
trekmanone

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
The V6 takes regular 87 octane.
My understanding, after reading the link, is Top Tier is a detergent standard used in all levels of octane gas, at the oil companies stations listed. Not top tier octane (93) gasoline.

For example, Valero is a huge Texas oil company with zillions of gas stations but it's not on the list...

So it seems the V6 takes regular TOP TIER 87 octane detergent gas.

From the owners manual:

Fuel
Use of the recommended fuel
is an important part of the proper
maintenance of this vehicle. To help
keep the engine clean and maintain
optimum vehicle performance, we
recommend the use of gasoline
advertised as TOP TIER Detergent
Gasoline.
Look for the TOP TIER label on the
fuel pump to ensure gasoline meets
enhanced detergency standards
developed by auto companies. A list
of marketers providing TOP TIER
Detergent Gasoline can be found at
www.toptiergas.com.
trekmanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekmanone View Post
Reading through a Camaro manual waiting for my new 2LT to arrive later this week. Recommends "Top Tier" gasoline. I've read about the new engine oil but this was a new one.
www.toptiergas.com

Even the web site looks a little hookie given BMW, GM, Honda & Toyota set the standard.

What do you Camaro owners think of this gas thing?
Top Tier Gasoline is an unofficial designation for gasoline formulas that kept up a high-enough level of detergents in their fuel AFTER the gov't lowered their standards. Many companies cut the additive levels to save costs since it wasn't mandated...but the listed car companies recognized a loss of quality as they designed their engines...so they made a little stink.

It seems the biggest issue is gunk buildup...which can be cured with the occasional dose of fuel-system cleaner. (But not everyone does this...and the car companies know it).
Old 01-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
FirstandFifthGen

Drives: 68 Camaro, 48 Chevy truck, 36 Chevy
Detergents also help reduce carbon buildup in engines. I recommend using the top tier options, in particular Chevron and Shell.
FirstandFifthGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
pennor

Drives: 2011 2LT - 73 Corvette 454
I don't put a lot of stock in the "top tier" designation that you see on anyone's pump. Actually I take the whole argument that one brand of gasoline is all that different from any other with a huge grain of salt. I've watched the local wholesale distributors tanker trucks in my town as they stop at the Chevron station, then go on down to the 76 station, and then over to Costco. I doubt that they carry all those different "brands" of gas in separate little compartments in the tank. To further prop up my argument I know for a fact that there are only two refineries in the Pacific Northwest, both of them up on the north Washington coast. One is a BP/Arco refinery, the other was labeled Texaco the last time I was up there a few years ago. They both pump gasoline into a pipeline that runs down the Puget sound to Oregon and on to Eugene. The jobers pull thier gas from that pipline and fill their storage tanks. These wholesalers are not labeled Chevron or Shell or Arco. They are Harris Oil, Carson Oil, Mark Nelson Oil, etc. They in turn sell gas to the dealers and deliver it by truck. I don't see that there can be any significant difference other than the grade and octane level.
pennor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
VTXrider

Drives: RY 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennor View Post
I don't put a lot of stock in the "top tier" designation that you see on anyone's pump. Actually I take the whole argument that one brand of gasoline is all that different from any other with a huge grain of salt. I've watched the local wholesale distributors tanker trucks in my town as they stop at the Chevron station, then go on down to the 76 station, and then over to Costco. I doubt that they carry all those different "brands" of gas in separate little compartments in the tank. To further prop up my argument I know for a fact that there are only two refineries in the Pacific Northwest, both of them up on the north Washington coast. One is a BP/Arco refinery, the other was labeled Texaco the last time I was up there a few years ago. They both pump gasoline into a pipeline that runs down the Puget sound to Oregon and on to Eugene. The jobers pull thier gas from that pipline and fill their storage tanks. These wholesalers are not labeled Chevron or Shell or Arco. They are Harris Oil, Carson Oil, Mark Nelson Oil, etc. They in turn sell gas to the dealers and deliver it by truck. I don't see that there can be any significant difference other than the grade and octane level.
The difference in Top Tier gas occurs after the gas leaves the pipeline and as it is put in the truck for delivery. Top Tier brands guarantee a certain level of detergents, others may or may not have it. As you said, in small markets I suspect all stations have it as the same trucks are delivering to all stations. The gas coming from the pipeline is all the same and in fact it is impossible to know what company refined it since it all mixes in the pipe. The detergents and ethenol in mixed in when it is loaded into the trucks.

Personally I don't care about top tier since I use a separate detergent that I mix in and use a fuel system cleaner in addition periodically.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
cuspid

Drives: 04 z06 yellow
Can you say techron
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techron
cuspid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
black beans from El Pollo Loco.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
2011 SS Camaro

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS - LS3
Here's the link your looking for

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
Thats it, no more Arco for me im switching to Chevron wit Techron
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist

Drives: '10 RY 2LT Camaro '96 Mustang Cobra
I for one can vouch for some of this. I have the V6 and when I fill up with any grade [87-93] at Speedway or Thorntons, 50% of the time my check engine light will come on.
If I fill up with BP or Shell it goes off basically after 1 or 2 start-ups. I had been using premium [92-93] octane because I thought the gas grade was the problem; turns out it's just the brand of gasoline. Goodbye speedy rewards card. hahahaha
Team LLT-M6
BlkThndr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkThndr66 View Post
I for one can vouch for some of this. I have the V6 and when I fill up with any grade [87-93] at Speedway or Thorntons, 50% of the time my check engine light will come on.
If I fill up with BP or Shell it goes off basically after 1 or 2 start-ups. I had been using premium [92-93] octane because I thought the gas grade was the problem; turns out it's just the brand of gasoline. Goodbye speedy rewards card. hahahaha
Really? Thats imteresting. Yeah i use nothing but premium. Might check out Mobil,76,Chevron. Their prices are currently sky rocketing.
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
V6 may run on 87 octane with no damage, but it runs a lot better with 93! I could definately tell a difference. I also run only Top Tier gasolines & use only Havoline 1 synthetic oil (which also made a noticable difference). I will protect my baby's engine any way I can.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
1up5dn

Drives: 2011 Black RS SS
Well I am now a believer in Chevron. I cannot get anything better than 91 octane in the area, but was told to at least use a station that sells lots of premium so it isn't stale. I figured I would try Costco, since their premium is the same price as most station's low grades. Well, I started to notice my car seemed "flat" and would once in a while have a moment of running great.

Long story, so to get to the end, I changed to Chevron exclusively and every tankful since then I have set personal records for miles per tank and the car is waking up! I even changed plugs and wires trying to get to the bottom of this.

So, for me at least, the extra cost of Chevron is paying for itself when I am getting close to 30-40 more miles before the fuel light comes on.

Chris....
1up5dn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #16
heRS

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I only use Chevron 93 in mine. Some guys say there's no difference in performance between 93 and 87 in the V6 but I can tell that my Camaro runs better on the 93 so nuttin' but the best for my baby!

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
To qualify for top tier all three grades must have the required detergents.
Most have detergents in the mid and prem grades but skimp on Reg gas.
So if you use reg 87 you want to use top tier to ensure a clean engine.
My LLT loves every minute of reg gasoline.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #18
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
I run shell Gasoline 93 octane. If I go on a Trip I time my gas stops to when I see a Shell. If I dont see one and need fuel then Exxon/Mobil is my 2nd choice however when im at home its Shell.

I use a Gas station outside of the city limits where I live it doesnt have as much of the polution addidtive inside of it you can tell since its not really a green tint like in the city.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #19
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennor View Post
you are correct!..here in new england around the boston area is a tank "farm" where huge storage tanks of gasoline are held..from the highway one can observe truck tankers loading the product,and it's not unusual to observe
a mobile tanker right next to a "independent" tanker "tapping" the exact same gas from the exact same tank...the irony in all of this,is that the various tankers after having "gassed" up at this one storage tank,will then drive to their respective stations to "unload" this gas into underground storage tanks,which may have a "price differential" of sometimes up to,and including 20 cents a gal. difference!..yet the "source " of this fuel all came from the original storage tank at this particular tank "farm"..unbelievable,but true!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #20
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
I run shell Gasoline 93 octane. If I go on a Trip I time my gas stops to when I see a Shell.
Same here,If I'm on a trip and can't find a Shell station....I'll run Chevron 93.

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'07 SILVERADO Z71 1500 Ext.Cab Z71 6.0 "VortecMAX"-GMPP CAI-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
To qualify for top tier all three grades must have the required detergents.
Most have detergents in the mid and prem grades but skimp on Reg gas.
So if you use reg 87 you want to use top tier to ensure a clean engine.
My LLT loves every minute of reg gasoline.
never heard of that!..tell me,i am curious,what is the source of your information?..doesn't seem logical to me that regular 87 would be left out at a 'top tier" station!..why would they be essentially "shooting" themselves in the foot by just offering it in mid,or high grade!..i say this because just about "all" cars CAN run on 87 regular!..just sayin!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #22
cuspid

Many of the corvette guys have cleared up fuel guage problems with the toptier gas
Old 01-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #23
cuspid

From z06vette forum poll
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f4/poll-768-a.html
Old 01-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #24
VTXrider

Drives: RY 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
never heard of that!..tell me,i am curious,what is the source of your information?..doesn't seem logical to me that regular 87 would be left out at a 'top tier" station!..why would they be essentially "shooting" themselves in the foot by just offering it in mid,or high grade!..i say this because just about "all" cars CAN run on 87 regular!..just sayin!
I think you are mis-understanding the other post.

He is saying that at Top Tier stations all grades get the detergents. At most other stations only Premium or Premium & mid-grade get the detergents. Therefore, if you use regular gas it is better to use Top Tier stations.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #25
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i use shell,it is a top tier gas and they are located most anywhere.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote