Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #7851
mylftft

Drives: 2013 TT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Here are my demands... No more tax's .... forever....
A new motor for my car...
A Z-28 for a daily driver....
Hey man if you save my life I'll buy you a Z28 myself!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #7852
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
An influx can be about anything in the ground... that is liquid... think about this... Salt under enough pressure becomes liquid like...

During the drilling operations... Offshore... They will typically run a 30 or 36 inch surface casing, and the wellhead with 20 inch pipe will hang inside of this... Wellheads are typically 18 3/4 inch.... At least they are in deep water... There are exceptions...

So, they Supd in the surface casing... Surface being the mudline regardless of the water depth... 500', 10,000 " etc... To spud the pipe in, and this is usually 90 or so feet of pipe, they can jet it in... Pump water at a high rate into the pipe, or soak it in... think of standing on a beach with water washing over your feet, how they sink into the sand... Same principal...

The ~~24" drill bit is on the bottom section of the 30 - 36 " pipe... Wehn the surface casing is set... and allowed to set in... "stabilize" they will unlock the 24 inch bit and drill ahead... This will typically be 600 - 800 or so feet of drilling... They will have hole openers on the BHA... Hole openers are like the wide part of a wood bit.... big paddles of cutting tool above the bit... A BHA is a bottom hole assembly... Depending on the section or depth, this will vary greatly... There can be MWD, (mesuring while drilling) or LWD, (logging while drilling) or myriad other tools used to determind the location of the bit and the diection of the hole, the type of formation and lots of other down hole bits of information...

So, they drill out the 20 inch section then pull out of the hole and run the 20 casing with the wellhead... This hangs in the 30 -36 inch surface casing... They will then cement most of if not all the way to the mudline starting at the bottom... When the proper amount of cement is pumped, they pull out of the hole and prepare to run the BOP's... Occasionally they will have to hang on to the wellhead for 8 - 24 hours to let the cement cure and stabilize...

At anytime up to this point, it's possible to take a kick, or influx... You can take a kick in the pen hole section, that which is not yet cased... The influx can be subsurface water tables... shallow gas, etc... I've been on a rig with a shallow gas blowout, it sucked... The rig took 5+ degrees of list before we could move off location... That was in the Med offshore of Egypt...

Now after the stack is landed, we can drill out the cement and 10' of new hole and then we perform a FIT test or a leak off test... These are two different test used to determine the formation strength... In reltively shallow water... when drilling to say 10,000 feet... you may be able to use a 12 + lb/gal mud weight... In 9,000 feet of water drilling to 10,000 feet, you may be only able to use 8.7 lb/gal mudweight... Occasionally the mud weight is measured closerthan a tenth of a lb/gal... Deep water drilling is tough... This is due to the overburden weight and pressures... 9,000 feet of water doesn't weigh near what 9,000 feet of earth weighs... It's much easier to blow the bottom out of a deep water well than it is a shallow water well...

Here's a crazy thought... There is a situation called where a blowout can occur within the drilled hole, from a section of high pressure into a section of low pressure... and still be down hole... Subsurface blowout... Say you drill into a section with relatively low formation pressures... and carry on drilling... then drill into a section with substantialy higher pressures... the high pressure section can leak off to the low pressure section... You can lose lots of fluid volume..and have a hard time figuring out where it went...or the mud weight you use based on the higher pressure can fracture the formation where the pressures are lower and the overburden is less dense... also leading to fluid volume loses...

There are a lot of things to watch for, and it's helpful as can be to have guys in monitoring centers like Mike that see the big picture all at once... MWD's, the guys that operate the tools are looking at their data... LWD's, same thing... Drillers and tool pushers watch certain parameters... looking for a drillers break... A change in drilling rate or a number of other things... fluid loss, fluid gain... etc... The derrick men in the pit room watch the pit levels... there are sophisticated tools for this but the most reliable one is two eah human eyeballs watching the nut hanging on a small rope that is hanging right at the pit level... They make minor adjustments quite often, but if there is suddenly an air gap under the nut... then your losing mud... if the nut suddenly is no longer in sight... you're taking on fluids... a possible kick... There is a float device that gives a constant electronic level on the drill floor monitor... Occasionally I've gone by and lifted the float gradually but surely... and see how long it takes for someone to notice... or plunge th float and look for the same thing... The pager usually goes off in seconds with the driller hollering at the derrickman to do a immediate check of the pits... Then I get cussed out and everything is ok... and before you jump my ass, these were usually part of a required perioodic drill... When a sudden gain is seen, the driller is supposed to immediately come off bottom, stop rotating, and shut it in (close an annular) until the problem is determined... While doing all these, they will immediately demand a visual check of pit levels... and usually way before they close the annular.. the derrickman is looking and calling him and explaining some asshole was plunging the float or lifting the float...

The guys in the monitor centers watch everything real time... It can feel like big brother at times but it has sure saved some butts at times... and there are no small mistakes out here...
I understood a good chunk of it lol..... I never knew mud was a displacement, and a tool to prevent or lower the chance of blowout, just figured it was a lubricant. Cool stuff

The psi of any fluid at those depths must be crazy high! I can imagine the pressure making salt into a fluid like substance

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #7853
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
I understood a good chunk of it lol..... I never knew mud was a displacement, and a tool to prevent or lower the chance of blowout, just figured it was a lubricant. Cool stuff

The psi of any fluid at those depths must be crazy high! I can imagine the pressure making salt into a fluid like substance
Yes sir that is probably the most important aspect of mud.... and the mud weight is measured to the 1/10th. Very important calculationjs go into it. Too heavy and you can break open your hole. Not heavy enough and you get an influx. Fracture gradient is something closely watched and you adjust mud weight accordingly.

Of course Robert may have said all that but no way I'm reading all that..
Old 03-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #7854
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yes sir that is probably the most important aspect of mud.... and the mud weight is measured to the 1/10th. Very important calculationjs go into it. Too heavy and you can break open your hole. Not heavy enough and you get an influx. Fracture gradient is something closely watched and you adjust mud weight accordingly.

Of course Robert may have said all that but no way I'm reading all that..
Yeah, he covered it pretty well, even trick low/high pressure losses where ya'll earn your big bucks or get caught in a real $hit storm lol

I have a buddy that hauls mud, till I visited with him, I just thought that's what it was ... mud... (me)> but he didn't go into so much detail on it's purpose.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #7855
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Yeah, he covered it pretty well, even trick low/high pressure losses where ya'll earn your big bucks or get caught in a real $hit storm lol

I have a buddy that hauls mud, till I visited with him, I just thought that's what it was ... mud... (me)> but he didn't go into so much detail on it's purpose.
In addition to the calculations for actual mud weight... they have to figure the circulating mud weight equivlancy... Flow creates friction which add weight the formation sees... It's all very critical to not losing a hole...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #7856
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: RED DEMON!
Mud & Holes? Am i in the right thread Here with a car named Brandy owned by Robert Taylor?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #7857
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED DEMON SS View Post
Mud & Holes? Am i in the right thread Here with a car named Brandy owned by Robert Taylor?

Old 03-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #7858
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Old 03-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #7859
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED DEMON SS View Post
Nope, wrong place. It's Brandi owned by R.T.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #7860
Mr Twisty

Quote:

I know this is off topic, but, are you wanting more cu. in. or more head studs?... or are you like Radio choosing apple or cherry pie?

.... "I wan't bofe."

Old 03-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #7861
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:

I know this is off topic, but, are you wanting more cu. in. or more head studs?... or are you like Radio choosing apple or cherry pie?

.... "I wan't bofe."
We'll actually be losing a few cubic inches... The new motor should be around 419 cubic inches... but will have the six bolt block... It'll still have the oversized head studs.

We'll lose a few cubic inches due to the reduced stroke for the larger rod journals... I'll give up a little to gain a lot...

Old 03-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #7862
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
That's all?

Quote:

If the mud on drilling operations is anything like the slurry we use when pouring concrete foundations for high-voltage transmission lines, you do NOT want to get it on you or your clothes. We call it "snot" for a reason...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #7863
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylftft View Post
I learned alot of that from Armageddon with Bruce Willis & Ben Affleck. Hey maybe they'll call you guys if an asteroid heads for earth!
Quote:
Haha. I agree with those demands. But somehow we need to get rid of taxes, but I need to keep my job as an accountant. hmmm.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #7864
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: RED DEMON!
Quote:
Old 03-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #7865
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post

If the mud on drilling operations is anything like the slurry we use when pouring concrete foundations for high-voltage transmission lines, you do NOT want to get it on you or your clothes. We call it "snot" for a reason...
I hope it's strong because power lines are low on my list of things I want to fall on my head ... lower down the list than a hot chick, but higher than a bridge

Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #7866
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Funny you should say that...

Old 03-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #7867
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Funny you should say that...
It's a common occurrence? I was awakened once by a lineman yelling, "STAY WHERE YOU ARE AND DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING METAL" ... true story lol

Old 03-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #7868
prdi

Drives: CTS-V
sure would be nice IF mlee company was hiring
prdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #7869
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by prdi View Post
I doubt it's all rainbows & lollypops...

... or is it?

Now K Gilmours job... or PQ's... he just sits on his butt all day and watches a pretty girl work.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #7870
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by prdi View Post
They are hiring like crazy...

Quote:
I doubt it's all rainbows & lollypops...

... or is it?

Now K Gilmours job... or PQ's... he just sits on his butt all day and watches a pretty girl work.
It is all rainbows... But PQ does have it made.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #7871
Atti2de
Móderator

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
I want to stay at the white horse!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:24 AM   #7872
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atti2de View Post
Is that a Nevada brothel?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #7873
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:
It's a common occurrence? I was awakened once by a lineman yelling, "STAY WHERE YOU ARE AND DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING METAL" ... true story lol
Common? No. But, it does occur. Well, not stuff falling on people's heads, but poles falling over or towers buckling (usually in extreme weather situations) is just a part of the business.

We had one steel pole on a line snap about mid-way up the shaft due to a problem with the steel supplier to the pole manufacturer. Apparently they got some shoddy steel from somewhere in India or China that was either mislabeled or fraudulently sold to them as a higher grade than it actually was.

On another line that was being built, the top arm on a lattice steel structure came down when the construction crews overloaded it by a bunch because they didn't factor a few things. Fortunately no one was hurt in either of those incidents. And I'm pretty sure that was by complete dumb luck. When lattice steel has a failure, there is no telling what is going to go where. I'm sure many a pant were pooped...

I'm fairly certain I cannot post the photos of either incident, but suffice it to say...what a mess.

Anywho, hey Robert, are you out of country right now?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #7874
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atti2de View Post

"White horse? No, White house. Bear would like to stay in the Lincoln Bedroom of the White house for the summer, you know, stuff like that."
Old 03-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #7875
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Common? No. But, it does occur. Well, not stuff falling on people's heads, but poles falling over or towers buckling (usually in extreme weather situations) is just a part of the business.

We had one steel pole on a line snap about mid-way up the shaft due to a problem with the steel supplier to the pole manufacturer. Apparently they got some shoddy steel from somewhere in India or China that was either mislabeled or fraudulently sold to them as a higher grade than it actually was.

On another line that was being built, the top arm on a lattice steel structure came down when the construction crews overloaded it by a bunch because they didn't factor a few things. Fortunately no one was hurt in either of those incidents. And I'm pretty sure that was by complete dumb luck. When lattice steel has a failure, there is no telling what is going to go where. I'm sure many a pant were pooped...

I'm fairly certain I cannot post the photos of either incident, but suffice it to say...what a mess.

Anywho, hey Robert, are you out of country right now?
I'm actually out here in the Gulf for another day or two or three... Supposedly a three day job and I've been here for over a week... What's up.. Did she lose her keys again...???

Tags
203.4, camaro of the week, drive shaft specialists of tx, dss, erl, henderson performance tech, i am second, mike@thepowdercoater, pedders, rockland standard gear, rx catch can, slayer triple carbon clutch, the circle, tracspec motorsports, twin turbos, w-bar's lord satchmo of lazy d