Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #8151
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM
Old 06-13-2014, 05:44 AM   #8152
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Actually, the problem is with the amount of space between the steel structure of the roof and where the material of the headliner typically sits. There's actually a considerable amount of space between the finished panel of the headliner that the consumer typically only ever sees/touches and the steel roof of the car.

Robert's roll cage sits almost flush with the steel structure of the roof, so the factory headliner literally can't fit between the roof and the cage.

Seems legit. Hold my beer and watch this!
I wonder how a color coordinated spray in bed liner would look as a headliner... would definitely keep the interior from sounding like a drum. How many people pay much attention to a headliner anyway?

..... and.....
Attached Images

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #8153
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Looks cold...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #8154
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Looks cold...
Nah, global warming

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #8155
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
That's all that's left of the polar ice cap...
Old 06-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #8156
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED DEMON SS View Post
Bring it to Washington, my dad is a television repair man, he's got this ultimate set of tools, i can fix it~
Attachment 636484
Heck you do drapes and stuff, you can build some color into it... I could shag carpet the roof.... seen that back in the day...
Old 06-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #8157
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

On the way... my newest to be installed mod... I will not have my hood join me in the passenger compartment...
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #8158
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
On the way... my newest to be installed mod... I will not have my hood join me in the passenger compartment...
Good call
Old 06-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #8159
stevieturbo

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Strangely...and not necessarily a reflection on the product.

But my kevlar hood took flight a week ago at 120mph with those.

As a single skin and very un-aerodynamic car, my hood flexed and moved a lot over 150mph.

The problem on mine. Over 150mph this flex caused the pins to get pulled inwards and bend slightly. I then had to re-straighten. After multiple times fatigue in the metal sets in.

Last week one of the pins failed on the threaded section due to this fatigue, one side of the hood lifted and caught air, the other aerocatch ripped apart...and hood took flight ! lol

I've refitted my old steel hood, and I am still using aerocatches, but I've used steel pins this time as an extra precaution.
I trust the catch, I trust the design. But not 100% sure on the alloy pins.

But any loadings placed on the pins would depend on how rigid the hood is, whether they might get bent etc.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #8160
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post

As a single skin and very un-aerodynamic car, my hood flexed and moved a lot over 150mph.

The problem on mine. Over 150mph this flex caused the pins to get pulled inwards and bend slightly. I then had to re-straighten. After multiple times fatigue in the metal sets in.

Last week one of the pins failed on the threaded section due to this fatigue, one side of the hood lifted and caught air, the other aerocatch ripped apart...and hood took flight ! lol

I've refitted my old steel hood, and I am still using aerocatches, but I've used steel pins this time as an extra precaution.

But any loadings placed on the pins would depend on how rigid the hood is, whether they might get bent etc.
Wow, sorry to hear that happened, to you, never a good show when it does... I appreciate the info... I'll talk to Corey and we may fab some steel pins to ensure that doesn't happen...

I'm sporting a factory hood, with hex vents cut in it, but it is metal... I figure these have got to be better than the factory latch... when all are used together...

I saw these first on a V-8 Supercars Camaro at the circuit of the Americas in Austin Texas...

I'll heed your words and keep an eye on them...

Cheers...
Old 06-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #8161
stevieturbo

I'd say with a steel hood, then you'd be perfectly safe.

The issue was with the flex on the kevlar one I had. I had run the same hood/pins for several years, many times over 150, and also quite a mile few runs at 190+

So it's not like it was a sudden failure. Partly my own fault, as I knew at some point I should have changed the pins because of the fatigue aspect from bending them.

I just bought a cheap hood pin kit that uses steel pins and used those.

With a strong steel hood, I think I'd be perfectly happy with the alloy pins
Old 06-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #8162
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:

The issue was with the flex on the kevlar one I had. I had run the same hood/pins for several years, many times over 150, and also quite a mile few runs at 190+

So it's not like it was a sudden failure. Partly my own fault, as I knew at some point I should have changed the pins because of the fatigue aspect from bending them.

Cool, I feel better now then... how long do you figure it takes to install these...
Old 06-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #8163
mylftft

Drives: 2013 TT ZL1
RACECAR!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #8164
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylftft View Post
RACECAR!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #8165
stevieturbo

Quote:
RACECAR!
Really depends.

The set you've pictured looks like a flush set to be mounted on the underside of the hood...which would probably be trickier.

But it's just a case of finding somewhere suitable to mount them and the pin, marking the holes and then cutting them.

Depends how fussy the person doing it is. But you definitely want to cut once ! lol So measure and mark carefully.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #8166
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Really depends.

The set you've pictured looks like a flush set to be mounted on the underside of the hood...which would probably be trickier.

But it's just a case of finding somewhere suitable to mount them and the pin, marking the holes and then cutting them.

Depends how fussy the person doing it is. But you definitely want to cut once ! lol So measure and mark carefully.
The ones I ordered do not have the lock, and they are the top mount... That was a quick pic to copy...

I can be a bit picky on stuff so I will take my time...
Old 06-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #8167
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:

Quote:
Wow, sorry to hear that happened, to you, never a good show when it does... I appreciate the info... I'll talk to Corey and we may fab some steel pins to ensure that doesn't happen...

I'm sporting a factory hood, with hex vents cut in it, but it is metal... I figure these have got to be better than the factory latch... when all are used together...

I saw these first on a V-8 Supercars Camaro at the circuit of the Americas in Austin Texas...

I'll heed your words and keep an eye on them...

Cheers...
Quote:

Well...this has me concerned about using these on my carbon fiber hood...

Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #8168
stevieturbo

Quote:
Well...this has me concerned about using these on my carbon fiber hood...
As said. My issue was flex leading to bending of the pins.

This was obvious, as in order to open/close the hood easily again, the pins had to be re-straightened.
Only a small amount each time, but still obvious. I really should have changed the pins much earlier.

If you've never experienced this problem, then I'm sure you'll be fine. And on my car it was typically only over 150mph, more usually 170+ where the bending really happened.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #8169
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

I was told that the front of my hood appears to "lift" about half an inch to an inch just while traveling down the highway at 80-85 mph.

So...yeah...150mph certainly worries me...

Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #8170
mylftft

Drives: 2013 TT ZL1
I just like giving Robert a hard time, I'm always trying to hang with his Racecar in my grocery getter.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #8171
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Good Afternoon Robert. I am trying to understand your oil system a bit better. Post 420 and 498 show the supply and return lines. Where is the pump? Did that get modded later to the Turbowerx setup? Also, can the oil system be self contained in it's own reservoir if someone ( a friend of mine) is building a turbo set up. Obviously I'm gathering some edumacation on behalf of that friend.

Thanks

Darryl
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #8172
stevieturbo

Quote:
I was told that the front of my hood appears to "lift" about half an inch to an inch just while traveling down the highway at 80-85 mph.

So...yeah...150mph certainly worries me...
Dont like polluting the thread. But this was a photo taken from a 1km event a few years ago. Not sure where the photographer was, but would guess this is around the 150-160mph mark.
I did around 175mph that day, although their timing gear registered 186mph for some reason.

When doing silly things in the dark, I can easily see the headlights from the drivers seat the hood lifts and flexes that much !
I'm amazed it stayed on so long to be honest.
The photo only shows a still obviously, but the bonnet is lifting and flexing quite violently, it isnt just sitting static like in the photo.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #8173
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
I just like giving Robert a hard time, I'm always trying to hang with his Racecar in my grocery getter.
grocery getter, pssshhhh, turd... You're just trying to keep up... bwahahahahahah... I wish my car was as much a daily driver as your is.... I was duly warned and kept pushing anyway... but I got a nice truck to ride in so, no problems here..

Quote:
Dont like polluting the thread. But this was a photo taken from a 1km event a few years ago. Not sure where the photographer was, but would guess this is around the 150-160mph mark.
I did around 175mph that day, although their timing gear registered 186mph for some reason.

When doing silly things in the dark, I can easily see the headlights from the drivers seat the hood lifts and flexes that much !
I'm amazed it stayed on so long to be honest.
The photo only shows a still obviously, but the bonnet is lifting and flexing quite violently, it isnt just sitting static like in the photo.

Bro, pollute all you want... I certainly respect your knowledge about cars, and turbo cars specifically... I'm hoping for some time on the beach in Aberdeen/Ireland,/GB/Wales area... and would love to toss back some pints... It'll happen at some time and would love to hook up... I work all over the world so I know I'll be there at some point... I'll be the redneck looking dude wearing a parka in the summer time...
Old 06-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #8174
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
Good Afternoon Robert. I am trying to understand your oil system a bit better. Post 420 and 498 show the supply and return lines. Where is the pump? Did that get modded later to the Turbowerx setup? Also, can the oil system be self contained in it's own reservoir if someone ( a friend of mine) is building a turbo set up. Obviously I'm gathering some edumacation on behalf of that friend.

Thanks

Darryl
Hey Darryl,

The supply for the oil is the motor oil pump... It is t'ed off at the fitting for the oil pressure sending unit if I remember correctly. This is a small diameter hose feeding into the top side of the turbo, and then is drains out the bottom, into the hoses and box you see. the aluminum box in post 498...

From that sump, the turbowerx pump draws the oil up and pumps it up to the valve cover.

I've never dealt with or considered a stand alone oiling system... Stevieturbo that posted right after you up there can possibly help you out more with that....

A stand alone would create more complexity and worry for me...
Old 06-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #8175
stevieturbo

I guess there could be pro's and cons to the standalone.

If we are relying on a scavenge pump to remove all oil from the turbos...then clearly that same pump has to be capable..and reliable enough to supply enough oil to them too.

It might even allow a much thinner oil, and the oil should be kept cleaner, no combustion products in the oil..etc etc
I'm sure the system would need a cooler of some sort though

In a rear mount, or where an engine oil supply isnt easy to achieve...I can see the appeal of a dedicated oil system for the turbos.

But the engine supply is well tried and tested, everyone knows it works.

If you were to do a standalone, I would definitely be monitoring pressure in the supply line, and if this fell below a certain level, it would cause engine shutdown. Otherwise if the pump was to fail, you'd soon destroy the turbos.

Yes the pump can fail on a scavenge only system...but you'd soon be aware of this by the plumes of smoke out the back. No catastrophic turbo damage should occur though

Really...cant see any major reasons to say dont do it though.

Tags
203.4, camaro of the week, drive shaft specialists of tx, dss, erl, henderson performance tech, i am second, mike@thepowdercoater, pedders, rockland standard gear, rx catch can, slayer triple carbon clutch, the circle, tracspec motorsports, twin turbos, w-bar's lord satchmo of lazy d