Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #1301
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 22,738
OH MAN!!!! That is some SCARY $chit... Glad you were able to make off the rig and back home so quickly... you'll get much better care here but I'm sure they were all over the situation when it happened. Good companies are prepared like that.

Also hope that wave didn't affect any other rigs in the area. I'll def be checking in with my buds out there.

Hope you get a good report on Monday...
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #1302
Merc
COTW 12/5/11
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 7,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Lil injury update,

I'm home at last. Debbie picked me up at the airport in Austin this morning and I requested we go to the local hospital here in my home town to let a doctor look at the wounds to see if they needed debriding or whatnot...

There were some beginning indications of infection so, I got a tetanus shot, and they cleaned the wounds and put me on a strong antibiotic... I'll see the ortho surgeon on Monday and learn more then...

Doug, it was totally nuts... I do not recommend swimming under a multi million lb rig to anyone...

Bryan,

The rig will pay me regular wages until the end of my normal hitch which is Monday, and then yes, at the start of my next hitch I'll probably be on workmans comp at 50%. The thing is, with my company, and I dont know if this is standard, but when I got back to work, they give me a one time check to make up the lost difference.

My wife spoke with Claims Friday and the guy is jam up... he told us to ask for or let him know whatever we need... I wonder if he would buy my nine inch diff kit???

Seriously, I work for an excellant company when it comes to taking care of the employees...
That's very good to hear. I assumed it worked kind of the same when a worker is injured on the job. Up here in the Great White North you get 80%, but it's income tax free.

__________________
Merc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #1303
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 13,084
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
OH MAN!!!! That is some SCARY $chit... Glad you were able to make off the rig and back home so quickly... you'll get much better care here but I'm sure they were all over the situation when it happened. Good companies are prepared like that.

Also hope that wave didn't affect any other rigs in the area. I'll def be checking in with my buds out there.

Hope you get a good report on Monday...
It wasnt a "rogue" wave so to speak, but just a combination of a large wave and the rig tenderness cycled together, the bow was dipping and the wave came in when the bow of the stbd pontoon was at it's lowest point...

There is some marine thought that waves come in set of seven or 49 or something like that... but, we had monitored it for over an hour and a half and nothing came over the bow like that one, plus we had been on the pontoon for 20 minutes or so with no issue... it was just a freak...
__________________
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #1304
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 13,084
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuryman View Post
That's very good to hear. I assumed it worked kind of the same when a worker is injured on the job. Up here in the Great White North you get 80%, but it's income tax free.

Yeah, I dont have all the details but I'll find out more on Monday when I call the claims manager...
__________________
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #1305
andredmg
Big Nasty
 
andredmg's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevys lots of em
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 930
Dang thats gonna be some hard time off with the clutch leg being out of commission. Hopefully you can lend a hand installin the cage in your whip.
__________________
andredmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #1306
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 13,084
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by andredmg View Post
Dang thats gonna be some hard time off with the clutch leg being out of commission. Hopefully you can lend a hand installin the cage in your whip.
Thats the plan my friend... When you coming to Texas...???

I'm betting I can get together with Corey and build a leg brace onto a creeper and be hooked up...
__________________
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #1307
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 6,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
It wasnt a "rogue" wave so to speak, but just a combination of a large wave and the rig tenderness cycled together, the bow was dipping and the wave came in when the bow of the stbd pontoon was at it's lowest point...

There is some marine thought that waves come in set of seven or 49 or something like that... but, we had monitored it for over an hour and a half and nothing came over the bow like that one, plus we had been on the pontoon for 20 minutes or so with no issue... it was just a freak...
R -

Brutal, but glad you are back in the states. Take care of yourself - I am sure Brandi will understand. Gives you time to get the cage done. Just remember - NO MATTER WHAT !!! This is not a request, this is a demand (sorry) - IF YOU HAVE ANY DAMAGE to your knee use it as little as possible for 6 WEEKS. I have blown both my knees apart - - the right one in a waterski tournament and the left one in a martial arts demonstration - we're talking ACL, MCL, meniscus in both just different levels of damage. They are both fully healed because of the patience of waiting 6 WEEKS.

Anyway, I will get off of my soapbox, but care about you and want you to heal back to 100%.

-B & Sherry
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #1308
Merc
COTW 12/5/11
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 7,787


__________________
Merc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #1309
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 13,084
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
R -

Brutal, but glad you are back in the states. Take care of yourself - I am sure Brandi will understand. Gives you time to get the cage done. Just remember - NO MATTER WHAT !!! This is not a request, this is a demand (sorry) - IF YOU HAVE ANY DAMAGE to your knee use it as little as possible for 6 WEEKS. I have blown both my knees apart - - the right one in a waterski tournament and the left one in a martial arts demonstration - we're talking ACL, MCL, meniscus in both just different levels of damage. They are both fully healed because of the patience of waiting 6 WEEKS.

Anyway, I will get off of my soapbox, but care about you and want you to heal back to 100%.

-B & Sherry
B,

I absolutely hear what you're saying... I did the anterior cruciate ligament and the lateral meniscus in my left knee 30 + years ago racing motorcycles... They had to graft the ligament... which is what bothers me the most... They told me then if I ever damaged it again, there wasn't much to work with left... but, technology has come a long way... and at the time, my surgeon was state of the art... I played softball for over 30 years post surgery, and occasional seasons of soccer and football with no issue other than occasional bone spurs that had to be removed... In total, I've had 6 surgeries on my left knee...One reconstruction, and 5 tune-ups...

I wore a hinge cast the first time for seven months... then a year of physical therapy after the cast was removed and a lennox hill knee brace for sports for several years...

I am not pushing any kind of recovery and I take to heart your advice... and I really do appreciate it...

Please tell S I said hello and I hope both of you and yours are doing well...
__________________
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #1310
garcmol


 
garcmol's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft. Mitchell, Alabama
Posts: 7,383
Just don't over do it. Glad your home safe and gettin' fixed up!
__________________
Pedders Pace Car Package, Injen CAI, Flowmaster AT, AAC Lighting, ZL1 fascia/skirts, RKSport Ram Air hood, vented fenders, painted stripes (Gary's Customz), Honor and Valor badged (Thank you, John)
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #1311
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 6,057
Feeling a little better today R? Hope the infection is going away and you start enjoying yourself again. In the meantime, how's the rollcage install going?
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #1312
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 13,084
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Feeling a little better today R? Hope the infection is going away and you start enjoying yourself again. In the meantime, how's the rollcage install going?
To my knowledge, Corey and Co haven't started on it... They have been double busy working on a Bonneville Flats car. Corey said when it was dropped off, they had two weeks to do three or four months worth of work... He was also waiting for me to help with the install...though I may be on the sidelines now...

I am feeling a bit better, though the walls are already closing in... I get up, "ON MY CRUTCHES", and go outside for a few minutes every couple of hours.... Freash air is awesome, but the heat is brutal... I've been way south of the equator where it is quite cool for the last month... My older son came over and spent the day with us, which was nice... He is going to take me down to New Braunfels in a few days to see the car. I'm looking forward to seeing Corey and the whole gang...
__________________
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #1313
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,523
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
SHIT man.

I just got caught up on the deal. You are indeed lucky to be alive.

That must have been some seriously scary shit.

Glad you're ok man. Good luck on the rehab. Bruce had some really good advice.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #1314
Atti2de
Móderator
 
Atti2de's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,558
Welcome home I just caught up on ur life also, with a verbal update from glen. If ya need anything let me know be glad to help, wonder if we got a new knee if glen and I could do the swap???
__________________
I'm not the one with the Atti2de problem it's everyone else that has a problem with my Atti2de!
Atti2de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #1315
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 13,084
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atti2de View Post
Welcome home I just caught up on ur life also, with a verbal update from glen. If ya need anything let me know be glad to help, wonder if we got a new knee if glen and I could do the swap???
I might be willing to trade a new knee for my diff... Cant drive the car right now anyway...
__________________
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #1316
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 13,084
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
SHIT man.

I just got caught up on the deal. You are indeed lucky to be alive.

That must have been some seriously scary shit.

Glad you're ok man. Good luck on the rehab. Bruce had some really good advice.

Randy, I was a firefighter for 25 years and got into some scary deals... If you accumulated all the fears I experienced in 25 years, and added them together, it wouldn't equal a tenth of what I felt under that rig....

I'm glad to be here and thank you for the well wishes... I'll be fine down the road, but it will take a little time...
__________________
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #1317
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 13,084
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Personal Update...

Saw the Orthopaedist today... He did see some lesions and damage to the MCL, and the PCL... how severe, he wasn't sure.. He also had trouble seeing the ACL, so thats up in the air... It also appeard there may be some damage to the articular cartilage...

He wants the swelling down so he can better evaluate so, he drained some fluid, shot some cortisone into the joint, and gave me prescriptions and wants to see me next monday... I have some passive excercises to do... He did say that even if he wanted to do something now, he couldn't due to the cuts and scrapes on my left knee, having come from barnacles, he is concerned about bacterial infection...

I'm on a strong antibiotic and so maybe next Monday I'll know more...

As I was walking out, my wife heard him say... "we may get out of this without doing anything invasive......... but it's not likely..."

So, next week will offer more information...
__________________
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #1318
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,523
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
It would be nice to be able to get it back to the same or even better shape than before. I guess just do what he tells you.

you need that knee to operate that clutch.

(Of course you know I'm just kidding around)
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #1319
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 13,084
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
It would be nice to be able to get it back to the same or even better shape than before. I guess just do what he tells you.

you need that knee to operate that clutch.

(Of course you know I'm just kidding around)
I realize I need it for the clutch...

I was even considering the 4L80E mod like Russ has... it was somewhat of a relief that if I cant get this knee right, I can still drive my car... though I'll have to go over to the dark side, but maybe Em will give me a cookie or two if I have to....I would have to have the manual shift option though... just like his...

And bro, you are free to harass me as much as you like, I've certainly thrown crap your way PBB...
__________________
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #1320
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com
 
Dangeruss's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro LSX
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 4,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I realize I need it for the clutch...

I was even considering the 4L80E mod like Russ has... it was somewhat of a relief that if I cant get this knee right, I can still drive my car... though I'll have to go over to the dark side, but maybe Em will give me a cookie or two if I have to....I would have to have the manual shift option though... just like his...

And bro, you are free to harass me as much as you like, I've certainly thrown crap your way PBB...
This is not the dark side...it's full on Jedi Mastership!
__________________
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #1321
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 13,084
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
This is not the dark side...it's full on Jedi Mastership!
Shifting without lifting would be cool... And dammit fast...
__________________
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #1322
garcmol


 
garcmol's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft. Mitchell, Alabama
Posts: 7,383
Do your passive exercises.....now. Hope your feeling better today! I would think you'd be all over that 4L80E with your set up. Turbos all full of boost and stuff and car stuff.
__________________
Pedders Pace Car Package, Injen CAI, Flowmaster AT, AAC Lighting, ZL1 fascia/skirts, RKSport Ram Air hood, vented fenders, painted stripes (Gary's Customz), Honor and Valor badged (Thank you, John)
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #1323
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,745
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Shifting without lifting would be cool... And dammit fast...
Corey told me that was the only way you could beat me ;-)


did i say that outloud? ooops
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #1324
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 13,084
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
Corey told me that was the only way you could beat me ;-)


did i say that outloud? ooops
I'll run you right now and I won't get out of first gear... And you can even use your truck to push the car, oh wait... Maybe the snowmobile still runs....
__________________
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #1325
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,745
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I'll run you right now and I won't get out of first gear... And you can even use your truck to push the car, oh wait... Maybe the snowmobile still runs....
my mom has an Oldsmobile that will get it moving.. somewhat!!


check out my new project... just posted in my thread... is half snomobile... half.... well you can see for yourself ;-)
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
203.4, camaro of the week, drive shaft specialists of tx, dss, erl, henderson performance tech, i am second, mike@thepowdercoater, pedders, rockland standard gear, rx catch can, slayer triple carbon clutch, the circle, tracspec motorsports, twin turbos, w-bar's lord satchmo of lazy d

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.