Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Elite Engineering
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
SSE14

Drives: 2014 Spring Special Edition SS Vert
Built-In Navigation: Tips and Tricks

I did a search, but didn't find anything on this topic. I know owners are divided on liking or not liking the built-in navigation. I happen to like it, but like any technology, learning how to use it can be difficult. So I would like to hear from members if they have any tips or tricks for using the built in nav, to help make it easier on the rest of us.

I was out of town on a short cruise on some back roads this past weekend and had looked at a map to sort of pre-plan my drive, not using nav. I went through one small town (pop. 1,400) and was expecting to find an intersecting road I was going to turn onto. I got out of town and knew I had missed it. So, I turn on the nav, pulled the map around a little with my finger, found the next town I was heading to, touched the town with my finger and a window pops up asking if I want to go there. I touch the window and it calculates the route from my current position. Didn't have to type in anything or say anything to get the route. I hope some of you might find this function useful.

I actually ran across this function last year when I did the "Tail of the Dragon". It was getting dark out, not familiar with the area, but knew what town we were staying in. I found the city on the nav screen, touched it, and it asked if I wanted to go there. Touched the window and it calculated the route from our present position to where we wanted to go. Again, very useful.

I would appreciate others sharing any "tips and tricks" you might have about the built-in nav. Thanks, and enjoy your drives in your Camaro!

Last edited by SSE14; 05-05-2015 at 04:49 PM.
SSE14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #2
huligan

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS M6
I've only had my car a few weeks and still trying to kick the iPhone maps habit...I've just started calling onstar and telling them my destination and they send it right to the car. Gonna try your method tomorrow, though. Thanks!
huligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
SSE14

Drives: 2014 Spring Special Edition SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by huligan View Post
I've only had my car a few weeks and still trying to kick the iPhone maps habit...I've just started calling onstar and telling them my destination and they send it right to the car. Gonna try your method tomorrow, though. Thanks!
huligan...hope you can make good use of it.

Your post reminded me a few years ago in our Chevy Equinox with nav we were on our way to Florida with our three dogs. We got to Tennessee and stopped for a dogs "potty" break. We then realized that we had forgotten to bring along the dog leashes. No way our dogs would stay close. They would run off. So we called On-Star and asked where the nearest Walmart was. They asked if we wanted them to download the route to our nav. We said yes and there it was. That's a pretty cool feature too if you happen to have On-Star directions and connections. The dogs got their leashes and their "potty" break. Good point about On-Star and nav.

I also like how the nav shows in the HUD.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #4
Jbrick11

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
My car is a 2013 how do we update the map on the NAV.
Jbrick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:06 AM   #5
benji276289

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS/RS M6
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrick11 View Post
My car is a 2013 how do we update the map on the NAV.
You don't.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Take it to the dealer. But I don't believe an update has been released yet. And it's not free. The last I read, it was a $200 item.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
benji276289

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS/RS M6
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
If an update hasn't been released, how do you know it's $200?
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote