Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #26
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Thanks for your write up, it made it easy to install. I had my laptop in my garage and kept going back to reference this post. It took me 2 1/2 hours from start to finish to do. The hardest part for me was taking out the screw on the back side panel.

Awesome write up!!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #27
dillypo

Drives: Camaro 1lt
Was anyone else able to do this without completely removing the backseats?

I did mine about a month ago and thought I'd see how far I could get without removing the back seats. I managed to finish the entire job no problem.

If you're very careful you can get the drivers side panel completely off and the passengers side loose enough to life the deck cover off and rotate towards the drivers side and out of the car. You just have to be careful not to scratch the plastic.
dillypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #28
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I did mine exactly to this post. It saved me a lot of time. And now that I have taken it all apart, I know how and where I am going to mount my rear LED lights and rear footwell lights.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #29
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
This is a nice write up.

Couple of things:
1. Would you be willing to go back and edit your pics, specifically pointing out the clip locations and what not? You can use mspaint to do this.

2. Also did you mess any clips or break any fasteners when doing this?

I ask these two questions only because this looks like a major pain and this photo right up is excellent. With the addition of the fastener points it would make it perfect.

Cheers
K
I agree; for noobs like me who'd be stupid enough to attempt something like this it would be nice to see the connector points, tools used, and the technique used to pry off the pieces.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #30
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
quick question here, i have an amo and sub and aftemarket speakers are my next venture. When I installed a new DDIN head unit, upon raising the volume more than halfway, my speakers would distort. does this just mean i need new front and rears? or should i get a 4 channel amp when i replace them as well? Sorry to post here, but no one has been able to answer me anywhere else....would love some help
Old 04-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #31
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
I think it means dont raise your volume more than half way.

I believe it would be a good idea to replace the speakers as the OEM ones dont have a huge range (range as in power handling), so when you send more power to them you are over driving them I believe.

Or if you have the aftermarket amp connect to the speakers you could try changing your gains I forget it is it raising or lowering them.

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #32
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNGnRECKLESS View Post
quick question here, i have an amo and sub and aftemarket speakers are my next venture. When I installed a new DDIN head unit, upon raising the volume more than halfway, my speakers would distort. does this just mean i need new front and rears? or should i get a 4 channel amp when i replace them as well? Sorry to post here, but no one has been able to answer me anywhere else....would love some help
that seems odd that at 50% volume your distorting. are they REALLY loud and distorting or just distorting at moderate volume?

Its possible that there is something in the Metra kit thats causing the distortion and you just dont hear it at low volumes. There are a lot of connections between the head and the metra

Its possible that your overdriving the speakers (as Moriartii stated)

Its possible that the powered amp in your head unit is THAT bad... though with most mainstream heads, your going to get a much cleaner signal than an OEM head and it will be stable to a higher volume...

If you DO decide to get new speakers, I would suggest an aftermarket amp to power them instead of the amp within the head unit... while not typically as bad as you are describing, they are notoriously poor performers.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #33
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
thanks for the info fellas!!!!

It's at a high volume. I have a Pioneer 3200bt and when i hit volume 20 or higher they distort, but the volume goes to 30 or more I believe....was just wondering.

I like how loud they are, just sometimes you always want more haha.

Again, thanks for the advice, I'll look into it somemore

Sean
Old 04-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #34
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
The speakers just can't handle that much power. When you get replacements they'll handle it much better. I think the stock speakers are only rated for 20Watts and that Pioneer unit probably puts out 50Watts. I can turn my Pioneer up to around 25 or so without any distortion on my Kicker speakers.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #35
nancygrl
155 mil na godzinę

Drives: Sapphire Moon Whisper 2013 2LT
Excellent write up/procedure. Although I've done plenty of installs over the years, I think I'll wait a little bit before attempting this. Certainly an "Add to Favorites"

Gone but not forgotten....2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 6M.......Traded 8/2013
nancygrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #36
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
old thread so apologies for the revival. but why can't you just remove the speaker covers and pull the 6x9s out and replace them that way? i totally don't see why it's necessary to pull any panels out since after all, you're replacing speakers only and not panels. any explanation or help is appreciated.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #37
jfcody3962

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, Orange
speakers are top mounted into the rear deck. they have to come out from the top and the only way to get them out is to remove the entire rear deck. The speaker grill tops do not just lift off.
VMAX Throttle Body
Skip Shift Eliminator
Kicker IX1000.5 amp
Kicker 10" sub in subthump box
Polk DXI6500 front components
Windows Tinted
jfcody3962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #38
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcody3962 View Post
speakers are top mounted into the rear deck. they have to come out from the top and the only way to get them out is to remove the entire rear deck. The speaker grill tops do not just lift off.
wow that sucks. way easier just to add a sub and disable those 6x9s than replace them with some 6x9 woofers...
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #39
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
These were a certified P.I.T.A. ...put a stamp on em'
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #40
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
Old thread but great write up. Just to give my .02, I kept reading how the back seat back was such a PITA to get off the hinges. When removing mine I decided to spare the headache and just take a chance by removing the 4 bolts and 1 nut that hold the back seat bracket down. Was so much easier and also was able to do this by myself without scratching any interior. A few pics of the seat with bracket attched below.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #41
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Drives: Red Rock Metallic ZL1
Chad's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #42
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
Good write up and comments all this does not appear to be very difficult and will be doing this very soon in the near future.
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #43
SixCyl

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomediafx View Post
Ya....What the hell, seems like alot of work. Good write up though. Like the guy above, now I know why I dont want to mess with it. I hate dealing with all that interior pins and tabs. Seems like they didnt want us to mess around back there. Maybe I will wait for Best Buy to have one of their "Free Installation" with purchase deals. I will buy the speakers and laugh as I leave, lol.
Omg I laughed so hard. Yeah this seems like a lot to replace the speaker but...looks like fun too.
El gato. Mods: Eagle eye headlights, 18" Axis Sport graphite, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax ported TB, 3/8" Vmax Black-Ice, RX single valve catch can, RX breather, Pedders inserts, Trifecta tune, BBK LTH 304 SS.

art/ärt/Noun. Definition: 5th generation Camaro.
SixCyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #44
Icefsh

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS M6
Taking mine out tomorrow. Replacing with the stock ones. Traded in for Silverado today and am changing the stereo back to stock. It is a PITA!! But worth it for the upgrade. Changed out the fronts today and put the Boston amp back in. Wow what a change for the worse.

Glad you posted today. Now I don't have to hunt it down.
Icefsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #45
Icefsh

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS M6
Just finished the job! About 3 hours start to finish and this is the second time Iv'e done it.
Icefsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #46
PLuche

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT manual
Did you ever get a chance to upload the video somewhere? I have the none BA system, i had a shop install the fronts with 6.5" components to my factory radio but now i want to change the 6x9's my only question is how to do the wiring? Do i just cut some cables and use a t-tap?

Any pics of this?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #47
FRANK121

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Best Buy Warning

About the Best Buy install: Warning! last car I had Best Buy work on sounded like crap! I had them replace all the speakers in My Dakota truck. Door speakers, door tweeters and speakers behind the seat in the side panels. 1 week later if you turned it up at all the rear speakers rattled and the door speakers rattles a short time after that. I would have taken it back but they are an hour out of the way! I decided to check it out myself .... rear speakers where literally hanging buy 1 screw, not 3? I guess they didn't have an adapter or the asshole installer just didn't give a crap? The driver side door had 2 screws holding it but the wires where twisted and taped to the speaker! The passenger side had 3 screws and wired the same way! I called and bitched and got NO WHERE! I will NEVER have a Best Buy touch any of my vehicles again!

Just be warned, take it to a specialty car stereo installer or demand to watch the work!
6 Speed Automatic
Whipple 2.9L
LS3 Conversion
ARH LT Headers and X-Pipe
GMMP Axle Backs
Yank 2800 Stall
RotoFab CAI
RX Performance Catch Can
VMAX Ported Throttle Body
Built by C.B.I. Streetcars
Tuned By DSX Tuning
GM Quarter Flares
Camaro Floor Mats
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #48
meschwenk

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLuche View Post
Did you ever get a chance to upload the video somewhere? I have the none BA system, i had a shop install the fronts with 6.5" components to my factory radio but now i want to change the 6x9's my only question is how to do the wiring? Do i just cut some cables and use a t-tap?

Any pics of this?

It has been a long time since I have been on this site. Do not use a t-tap. The speakers had wire adapters. I just cut off the factory speaker plug from the wires and used crimp on butt connectors. Hope this helps!
meschwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #49
PLuche

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by meschwenk View Post
It has been a long time since I have been on this site. Do not use a t-tap. The speakers had wire adapters. I just cut off the factory speaker plug from the wires and used crimp on butt connectors. Hope this helps!
Sure does. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #50
HubStep

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomediafx View Post
Ya....What the hell, seems like alot of work. Good write up though. Like the guy above, now I know why I dont want to mess with it. I hate dealing with all that interior pins and tabs. Seems like they didnt want us to mess around back there. Maybe I will wait for Best Buy to have one of their "Free Installation" with purchase deals. I will buy the speakers and laugh as I leave, lol.
Yikes.... I'd never let them touch my Camaro. Idk, I subscribe to the thought that when it's mine no one will do a better job then me. (Then again I'm sort of a perfectionist)
HubStep is offline   Reply With Quote