Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 12-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Such thing as an oil level gauge?

I got to thinking and with all the oil problems our cars have, an oil level gauge and sensor would be useful. Does anything exist like that? I tried google but can't find much.
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
It's called a dipstick and it should be checked at least weekly.
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
It exists in a lot of European cars, especially BMW and Mercedes, which in turn do not have dipsticks. Oil level can be checked with a scan tool and the DIC will warn you of low oil level.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2000 MCSS, 2013 1LS & 68 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to ChibiBlackSheep
It's not difficult to pop the hood and check the oil level.

It's almost too lazy to instead want a gauge which would just be another sensor that could go bad.

2013 Camaro 1LS - Daily Driver
1968 Camaro SS - Show Car
2000 Monte Carlo SS - Procharged Project Car
ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
dip stick reading on the llt has fooled a few ppl it not a simple read at times. if you have any doudt on a reading just change your oil better to be safe than 2qt over.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gml1998 View Post

every time you gas up the car in fact.

tire pressure should also be checked at the same time, as should all your exterior lights..

just sayin' that's how I was raised. you gotta stand around for 5-10 minutes while your car is drinking it's go go juice, so make use of the time and do your maintenance checks.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
All of you people saying just read the dipstick, you must have never checked on this car. This one is quite tricky. Why deal with it if you could just check the sensor reading?

Someone look into this!
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
It exists in a lot of European cars, especially BMW and Mercedes, which in turn do not have dipsticks. Oil level can be checked with a scan tool and the DIC will warn you of low oil level.
Yea my dad's 3 series BMW has that.

The dipstick is a little hard to read. Isn't the level suppose to be inbetween the Xs?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Must be like checking the oil on a Nissan, no matter how many times you try it, the level is always different
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
CamaroV6
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6 1LT Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post

tire pressure should also be checked at the same time, as should all your exterior lights..

just sayin' that's how I was raised. you gotta stand around for 5-10 minutes while your car is drinking it's go go juice, so make use of the time and do your maintenance checks.
I do this all the time...I give my car the once over every time it's getting gogo juice inside!
CamaroV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post

It's almost too lazy to instead want a gauge which would just be another sensor that could go bad.
This isn't the issue...on another thread of mine I lost 5 quarts of oil in a month. I drive a lot at far distances at a time. A gauge would be good to monitor while driving
Old 12-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
Ahrens-fox fire engines in the 1920's had oil float guages- never touch a dipstick. Funny how 90 years ago they had a better idea!
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Never understood why GM just didnt let us check the oil with our DICS.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:29 AM   #14
Grimlock
dey see me rollin

Drives: the magic school bus
I've always wondered if my dipstick was lying to me. I consistently hear about the LLT just "eating up oil" and stories of quarts lost here and there and all this being something quite common. Mine has always been fine and changed whenever the DIC reads 10% or 6000 miles, whichever comes first. How can the same car with the same drivetrain have such different reactions with engine oil. Driving habit can't be it cause I drive like a jackass.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
Never understood why GM just didnt let us check the oil with our DICS.
I'd rather not use mine
Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Guess there are too many Dipsticks that don't know how to use a dipstick.

I never had an oil issue with my LLT and so far none with my LFX.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #17
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post

Wow... douche
Old 12-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
My 04 Silverado 5.3 has one. One day on a long trip I stopped for gas and when I re-started got a message to check oil level. WTH? Yep, I was a quart low. First and only time I've seen it.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #19
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by gml1998 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
I've always wondered if my dipstick was lying to me. I consistently hear about the LLT just "eating up oil" and stories of quarts lost here and there and all this being something quite common. Mine has always been fine and changed whenever the DIC reads 10% or 6000 miles, whichever comes first. How can the same car with the same drivetrain have such different reactions with engine oil. Driving habit can't be it cause I drive like a jackass.
Quote:

Our dipstick in the Camaro doesn't read consistently I've been lucky with my engine, but I DO know it's been an issue with some. Don't know if the oil pressure gauge could give you a clue, but I keep a good eye on mine

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #20
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
All of you people saying just read the dipstick, you must have never checked on this car. This one is quite tricky. Why deal with it if you could just check the sensor reading?

Someone look into this!
Thank you and they all probably stick a dip stick in the gas tank to find out how much gas they have too
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #21
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroc5 View Post
Wow... douche
It was a joke buddy....

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-21-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #22
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
It's 2012. Please show me the average consumer checking oil level on a daily or weekly basis.
Unbelievable. Just because we love our cars and are old school doesn't mean everyone is and I sure as hell can assure you that the majority of the consumers of GM products will not check their oil regularly let alone periodically

And oil level gauge would be useful
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #23
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Just in case anyone is wondering...
The proper way to use a Dipstick, get the engine up to temperature, Park on a LEVEL surface, then shut it off, you should let it sit for about 5 minutes for the oil to drain back to the crankcase then pull the dipstick, wipe it off then stick it back in making sure it is fully seated then pull it back out if its between the top and bottom of the marked area it's fine. Below that add a quart.. It's foolproof if you do it that way.One thing I did notice on the LLT, sometimes it was easy not to get the dipstick fully seated and it would not show any oil on the end. I would recheck it again making sure it was fully seated and it always showed a good level then..
If you don't believe me then check this out: http://autorepair.about.com/od/regul...a/checkoil.htm

We already have other guages on the car that people don't trust, so why add another. I bet GM will still tell you the level guage is no substitute for a manual check, Just as they do with the tire pressure sensors. I know I would never trust my engine to a oil level guage alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Thank you and they all probably stick a dip stick in the gas tank to find out how much gas they have too
TJ91, if you run out of gas your engine is still ok, if you run out of oil well thats another stiry....

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-21-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #24
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Right? And there is a reason you don't use a dipstick to read gas, you need to know how much you have while you are driving. It is no secret our engines burn oil, I mean GM even had to issue a reprogramming for the OIL meter!

The same reason you need to know how much gas you have on the fly, is the same reason it would help to know the oil level on our engines. Especially considering they burn oil...

I personally check once every 1 to 1.5 weeks. It always varies on how much oil I need to add, if any. I'm human and I can't reasonably expect to always get an accurate measure. Especially on a car that is tricky to check. I also have to play a guessing game on how much I need to add.

Imagine you just check the dic and it gives you a number x.x/6.0 quarts?

Quote:
Just in case anyone is wondering...
The proper way to use a Dipstick, get the engine up to temperature, Park on a LEVEL surface, then shut it off, you should let it sit for about 5 minutes for the oil to drain back to the crankcase then pull the dipstick, wipe it off then stick it back in making sure it is fully seated then pull it back out if its between the top and bottom of the marked area it's fine. Below that add a quart.. It's foolproof if you do it that way.One thing I did notice on the LLT, sometimes it was easy not to get the dipstick fully seated and it would not show any oil on the end. I would recheck it again making sure it was fully seated and it always showed a good level then..
If you don't believe me then check this out: http://autorepair.about.com/od/regul...a/checkoil.htm

We already have other guages on the car that people don't trust, so why add another. I bet GM will still tell you the level guage is no substitute for a manual check, Just as they do with the tire pressure sensors. I know I would never trust my engine to a oil level guage alone...

TJ91, if you run out of gas your engine is still ok, if you run out of oil well thats another stiry....
Do you think you could make a video on that because none of us know how to check using the dipstick. And the highlighted part shows that you basically admitted checking oil on this car is easy to mess up. Sorry bud but I see no good argument against getting an oil gauge in the car and you basically are providing more reason to have one.

And out of curiosity, could you list some of these gauges on the car that people don't trust? All of mine seem to work 100% and even the TPMS are never more than 1-2 PSI off.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #25
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Right? And there is a reason you don't use a dipstick to read gas, you need to know how much you have while you are driving. It is no secret our engines burn oil, I mean GM even had to issue a reprogramming for the OIL meter!

The same reason you need to know how much gas you have on the fly, is the same reason it would help to know the oil level on our engines. Especially considering they burn oil...

I personally check once every 1 to 1.5 weeks. It always varies on how much oil I need to add, if any. I'm human and I can't reasonably expect to always get an accurate measure. Especially on a car that is tricky to check. I also have to play a guessing game on how much I need to add.

Imagine you just check the dic and it gives you a number x.x/6.0 quarts?

Do you think you could make a video on that because none of us know how to check using the dipstick. And the highlighted part shows that you basically admitted checking oil on this car is easy to mess up. Sorry bud but I see no good argument against getting an oil gauge in the car and you basically are providing more reason to have one.

And out of curiosity, could you list some of these gauges on the car that people don't trust? All of mine seem to work 100% and even the TPMS are never more than 1-2 PSI off.
Lol right. I was just saying you HAVE to be sure you checked it correctly. It goes for any car. Not just the Camaro. If it shows low you always check it a second time making sure you get a correct reading that should be common sense.

About not trusting gauges, I've seen threads on here about people not trusting some of them... I never said they didn't work just some people don't trust them, oil pressure, temperature and the TPMS.
About the TPMS, in the owners manual it states "Please note that the TPMS
is not a substitute for proper tire maintenance, and it is the driver’s responsibility to maintain correct tire pressure, even if under-inflation
has not reached the level to trigger illumination of the TPMS low tire pressure telltale."
the same would go for any oil level sensor...

But whatever, whine all you want about an oil level gauge, like it or not, you don't have one so you better be checking your oil the old fashioned way....end of story.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-21-2012 at 12:19 PM.