Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HRE Wheels
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
domano 68
 
domano 68's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SE
Posts: 615
LS7 availability

That is LS7, sorry about that!

Can anyone tell me if the LS7 engine is available on the SS model? If so, how much additional? TIA.
domano 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 10,521
if you wanna put one in yourself, you can order it from GMPP, but it won't be an option from the factory. i believe the crate engine alone is around $14k
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
domano 68
 
domano 68's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SE
Posts: 615
Maybe some of the dealers will install.
domano 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark
 
LSxJunkie's Avatar
 
Drives: RX350
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 3L Hell
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
That is LS7, sorry about that!

Can anyone tell me if the LS7 engine is available on the SS model? If so, how much additional? TIA.
No. LS7 Crate motor is around 17k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
Maybe some of the dealers will install.
Absolutely not.
__________________
What is this, CorvetteForum Lite?
LSxJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,747
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
No. LS7 Crate motor is around 17k.



Absolutely not.
you can get them cheaper then that, and some dealers will do the swap...
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
TheClassicCarKid

 
TheClassicCarKid's Avatar
 
Drives: V45
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
you can get them cheaper then that, and some dealers will do the swap...
Are we talking about a dealer buying a Camaro, installing an LS7, and then putting it on the showroom? Or taking your car to a dealer and have them swap the engines.
Because I'm pretty sure they won't do the first one.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
All of the stang guys in one thread..wow..lol
.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
MerF
Go Rays!
 
MerF's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St Pete, Florida
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
Are we talking about a dealer buying a Camaro, installing an LS7, and then putting it on the showroom? Or taking your car to a dealer and have them swap the engines.
Because I'm pretty sure they won't do the first one.
I took his post as the latter, personally.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
pharmd
Master of Medicine
 
pharmd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 VW GTI, 2007 TBSS, 2002 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Morehead, Kentucky
Posts: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
No. LS7 Crate motor is around 17k.



Absolutely not.
You must not know my dealer...money talks.
__________________
pharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
justmeron

 
justmeron's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,260
Send a message via AIM to justmeron
There was a thread about a dealer in Tx I think the dealership started with an H. They were building a model, I think starting price was like $107,000. Oh and with that you get one day driveing school at the track next door. Not sure, maybe it wasnt on here, but I thought it was here I read it.
__________________
2010 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Faded Black Side Vent Highlight Decal Kit

Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like eating a whole jar of jalapenos.... what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow!!!!
justmeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,747
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
i meant the latter, dealers will swap motors. people need to realize that you need to pay to play. you get something like this done you have to pay for repairs. its not like you can expect to have a car customized and get a warranty to go with it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeron View Post
There was a thread about a dealer in Tx I think the dealership started with an H. They were building a model, I think starting price was like $107,000. Oh and with that you get one day driveing school at the track next door. Not sure, maybe it wasnt on here, but I thought it was here I read it.
hennesy isnt a dealer, its a tuner company.
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:46 AM   #11
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark
 
LSxJunkie's Avatar
 
Drives: RX350
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 3L Hell
Posts: 556
I never meant a dealer wouldn't do it, I meant that he shouldn't even bother asking. Any stealer that actually will do it will bend you over backwards on labor and probably frak it up.

And I lied about the price. Apparently you can get the motor for 13k now. The price has come down. However, it's another 1900 for PCM and assorted other shit. So about 15k for the same amount of power you can make out of a heads/cam package that costs less than half that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
i meant the latter, dealers will swap motors. people need to realize that you need to pay to play. you get something like this done you have to pay for repairs. its not like you can expect to have a car customized and get a warranty to go with it.




hennesy isnt a dealer, its a tuner company.
Worst. Idea. Ever. I barely trust dealers to change my oil, much less do a complete motor swap. You really want an LS7? Take your money to someone who's not new at this game. Go to an LSx shop. You might even get some semblance of a warranty from the shop, and these are going to be people who are passionate about cars, not just paid a day's wage for a day's work.
__________________
What is this, CorvetteForum Lite?
LSxJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:05 AM   #12
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,747
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
I never meant a dealer wouldn't do it, I meant that he shouldn't even bother asking. Any stealer that actually will do it will bend you over backwards on labor and probably frak it up.

And I lied about the price. Apparently you can get the motor for 13k now. The price has come down. However, it's another 1900 for PCM and assorted other shit. So about 15k for the same amount of power you can make out of a heads/cam package that costs less than half that.



Worst. Idea. Ever. I barely trust dealers to change my oil, much less do a complete motor swap. You really want an LS7? Take your money to someone who's not new at this game. Go to an LSx shop. You might even get some semblance of a warranty from the shop, and these are going to be people who are passionate about cars, not just paid a day's wage for a day's work.

i can tell you 4 dealers in my area that i would trust to do these sort of things, i can also tell you 1 dealer i wouldnt give any business to. Really if you are so distrustful of your dealer you need to find somewhere else to give your business too.
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:15 AM   #13
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cedarburg, WI
Posts: 6,801
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Before you even think about this, you should go TALK to a dealer, and get an idea what they're going to charge you to do this.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 AM   #14
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith
 
Txturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosenberg,Texas
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeron View Post
There was a thread about a dealer in Tx I think the dealership started with an H. They were building a model, I think starting price was like $107,000. Oh and with that you get one day driveing school at the track next door. Not sure, maybe it wasnt on here, but I thought it was here I read it.
Its not a dealer........its Hennessey Motorsports. They are about 25 miles from my house.
__________________

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel availability? Bumble Bee '77 Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 0 08-25-2008 10:12 AM
white availability o2camaross 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 9 08-13-2008 12:30 PM
Top V8 Availability? vetterxx Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 30 06-14-2008 03:38 PM
Release Date Information ProCamaross Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 6 04-25-2008 03:09 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.