Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #401
bobby35ny

 
bobby35ny's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South East, FL
Posts: 1,639
To me its pretty obvious that the Z28 will be coming but not just yet.
It's not like the 80's and 90's when they gave it a few extra HP and put bigger stickers on the car. The new Camaro is RETRO etc.

So.........

They will make a few special packages however they see fit but the Z28 I'm sure will be very special.

I'm willing to bet they will wait for that newer 5.5 V8 or something and then call it a Z28 like they did with the 302's when the 350's were the big dog on the porch.

My feeble 2 cents...
-bobby
__________________
ZL1::J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS
bobby35ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #402
GearheadSS
Member #63
 
GearheadSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Lots
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas/Greenville, Texas
Posts: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardik2SS View Post
I would think maybe a 325 or 335 tire. I've never heard of a 330 tire. I even checked Tirerack for a 330/20" tire and there were zero results.
It won't have a 325 and I think 335 is too wide. I'll put money on it having 315s out back.
__________________
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #403
CamaroGuy37
 
Drives: 2002 Ford Taurus SES
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1
Some things just don't make sense here, and I think it would be a mistake to assume the details disclosed here are accurate.

First off, I highly doubt production of the Camaro Z28 (or whatever the hell they call it) will begin on New Year's Day...which by the way is on a Sunday. I think the odds are slim to none that the Canadian Auto Workers Union would allow such a thing. Plus, it's bad enough that the convertible took 2 years to come out. Let's not add yet another year's delay to a Camaro model...

And secondly, General Motors would have to be daft not to call this thing the Z28. I would be furious if they were stupid enough to call such a highly-anticipated car such a dull name like "HP Edition".
CamaroGuy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #404
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy37 View Post
Some things just don't make sense here, and I think it would be a mistake to assume the details disclosed here are accurate.

First off, I highly doubt production of the Camaro Z28 (or whatever the hell they call it) will begin on New Year's Day...which by the way is on a Sunday. I think the odds are slim to none that the Canadian Auto Workers Union would allow such a thing. Plus, it's bad enough that the convertible took 2 years to come out. Let's not add yet another year's delay to a Camaro model...

And secondly, General Motors would have to be daft not to call this thing the Z28. I would be furious if they were stupid enough to call such a highly-anticipated car such a dull name like "HP Edition".
Production can start days before or after the "due" date.
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:16 AM   #405
Vega
 
Vega's Avatar
 
Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 589
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Personally im happier with them NOT calling it Z/28. The Z was always a Boss rival, not a GT500 rival, Chevy never really had a GT500 rival cause they never outsourced to another company like Ford did to create the GT500. Id say the best thing would be to let SLP design a licensed GM Camaro to rival the GT500, Ford+Shelby vs GM+SLP rather than Ford+Shelby vs GM.

And with the 302 vs 350 thing, the 350 actually eventually replaced the 302 in the 1970 Z/28 with a higher output, the 302ci was just to get it into the Trans Am series, if they could have stuffed a 350 in it from the get go they would have. But also i dont think GM would put the 5.5 in the Z, i think that'd go to the SS, its just common sense really. It might take a few years since Camaros generally lag 2 or 3 years behind Vettes engine-wise but i bet itd go in the SS, i dont think they'd have multiple generations of motors in the same model year car. I think we'll see the Z before the 5.5's introduction. Id most expect the 5.5 to debute along with the debute of the Alpha platform 6th gen.
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #406
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Personally im happier with them NOT calling it Z/28. The Z was always a Boss rival, not a GT500 rival, Chevy never really had a GT500 rival cause they never outsourced to another company like Ford did to create the GT500. Id say the best thing would be to let SLP design a licensed GM Camaro to rival the GT500, Ford+Shelby vs GM+SLP rather than Ford+Shelby vs GM.

And with the 302 vs 350 thing, the 350 actually eventually replaced the 302 in the 1970 Z/28 with a higher output, the 302ci was just to get it into the Trans Am series, if they could have stuffed a 350 in it from the get go they would have. But also i dont think GM would put the 5.5 in the Z, i think that'd go to the SS, its just common sense really. It might take a few years since Camaros generally lag 2 or 3 years behind Vettes engine-wise but i bet itd go in the SS, i dont think they'd have multiple generations of motors in the same model year car. I think we'll see the Z before the 5.5's introduction. Id most expect the 5.5 to debute along with the debute of the Alpha platform 6th gen.
Yes, generally the Camaro lags 1-3 years behind the Vette engine wise, the exception was 1967 when the Camaro was the only Chevy to get the brand new 350cid engine. The Vette did not get the 350 until '68.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #407
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture
 
stand-al0ne's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jamlando, FL
Posts: 1,093
I wouldnt worry about names. It will be called Z/28
Most people knew the hi-po 6.2L vette would be called the ZR-1, but names still came out like Blue Devil, etc...but in the end ZR-1 was it.

The Magnetic Ride Suspension was def a curve ball for me. I didnt see it coming (mainly bc I was too busy thinking about what engine would be in there and what the hp would be) That said, I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I'm sure its a good choice as GM wouldnt put it on there if they had any doubt about it. I'm just not sure what the tuning market will be able to do...anyone know??

Overall, its funny bc we all knew a hi-po Camaro was coming out, but every time I hear something new about it becoming a reality, I find myself acting surprised
__________________
EBC Brakes| DOT 4|Bigworm| SickSpeed| BMR | IPF | Vararam| MRT |MGW | Nitto | Rx |
Iggee |ZL-1 Sways| Hurst | Apex Racing|Past: Srt-4| 6.0L GTO- RIP | '98 Integra

stand-al0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #408
GearheadSS
Member #63
 
GearheadSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Lots
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas/Greenville, Texas
Posts: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Production can start days before or after the "due" date.
Speculation on your part? Are you in the car business to know this as fact? This is not like an order for a car that is scheduled to be built. GM will decide on which day production will begin on the car and it's not going to be on a Sunday. It's just another piece of the puzzle pointing towards this info being a giant pile of made up non facts.
__________________
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #409
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Speculation on your part? Are you in the car business to know this as fact? This is not like an order for a car that is scheduled to be built. GM will decide on which day production will begin on the car and it's not going to be on a Sunday. It's just another piece of the puzzle pointing towards this info being a giant pile of made up non facts.
2010 production started well before the "production date" that's a well known fact.
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #410
GearheadSS
Member #63
 
GearheadSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Lots
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas/Greenville, Texas
Posts: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
2010 production started well before the "production date" that's a well known fact.
Really? I seem to remember them getting delayed one month. Pre-production cars don't count.
__________________
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #411
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Really? I seem to remember them getting delayed one month. Pre-production cars don't count.
The original production date was set for february, but was pushed back to March.

Number 3 explained it somewhere.
Full production cars were built before the March date.
Those made before the march date, have the vin 9000001, and so on.
Full production cars built in March ended in 9100001.
I'll find the post and come back to you,
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #412
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
It's just another piece of the puzzle pointing towards this info being a giant pile of made up non facts.
If production is scheduled to begin on the first of the year, chances are that very next Monday is when the line will fire up and begin producing Z28s. The date could simply be a placeholder...a goal...to indicate to dealers that barring any unexpected events...the car will be produced asap in 2012.

I'm willing to bet they don't know for sure when it'll be produced, but their dealer body (remember, that's the intended audience to which this supposed-to-be confidential information was released) likes to hear scheduled dates and committed plans.....

But that hardly makes it "a giant pile of made up non facts"...at least not by us.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #413
Crowley
Okie doke
 
Crowley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GT500
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 3,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I think what I most excited about is the magnetic ride suspension.
I can't wait to feel it first hand, since no one will let me test drive a cts-v or corvette with it.
I think this is great this car is getting it. It was also interesting to see (if I saw that right) .. 330s in the rear? i'm wondering what type of rear the car will have (if it will be beefed up compared to the SS).

Crowley
__________________
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #414
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Speculation on your part? Are you in the car business to know this as fact? This is not like an order for a car that is scheduled to be built. GM will decide on which day production will begin on the car and it's not going to be on a Sunday. It's just another piece of the puzzle pointing towards this info being a giant pile of made up non facts.
Are you trolling, or just in a bad mood? We're sorry for trying to post the best information we have from reliable sources here for everyone to drool over, lol. Get a grip.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #415
geminidreams


 
geminidreams's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM 2LT / RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,390
Can't wait hoping to have my baby paid off by the time I place my order for her big brother lol..

V6 and a V8 best of both worlds
__________________
Mods to date: ABM Catch can, Pfadt stage II racing suspension, axel back magna flows, Araid CAI. New Vinyl stripes and Powder coated my factory rims.
geminidreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #416
RickD
 
RickD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 21
I haven't followed the Corvette very closely the last couple of years, but is the magnetic ride control the preferred suspension on the Vette now? I see it is standard on the ZR1 and there doesn't seem to be a Z51 package anymore.

It seems to have come a long way in the last few years.

Last edited by RickD; 01-18-2011 at 10:20 PM.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #417
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,046
I believe Carbon Z06 has it, and that's it, as far as C6 goes.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #418
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I believe Carbon Z06 has it, and that's it, as far as C6 goes.
CTS-v has it too.
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #419
556hp
 
Drives: 10 CTS-V
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 37
The magnetic ride control is absolutely fantastic on my CTS-V....but the caveat:

Changing ride height becomes a little tricky. Several have had issues when changing the height, however it might have been a supplier issue. I didn't follow their posts that closely on the other forum.
556hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #420
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by 556hp View Post
The magnetic ride control is absolutely fantastic on my CTS-V....but the caveat:

Changing ride height becomes a little tricky. Several have had issues when changing the height, however it might have been a supplier issue. I didn't follow their posts that closely on the other forum.
That's what I've been a little worried about, however, from the images, it almost looks like Z28 has been lowered, maybe an inch, maybe a touch more, to my eye. Still - I worry about this point.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #421
Shurenuff

 
Shurenuff's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by 556hp View Post
The magnetic ride control is absolutely fantastic on my CTS-V....but the caveat:

Changing ride height becomes a little tricky. Several have had issues when changing the height, however it might have been a supplier issue. I didn't follow their posts that closely on the other forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
That's what I've been a little worried about, however, from the images, it almost looks like Z28 has been lowered, maybe an inch, maybe a touch more, to my eye. Still - I worry about this point.

That's my main concern with this system, as I don't believe there's a way to lower the vehicle without compromising the fantastically engineered MRC system. And while I agree that the stance is better than the SS based on the available spyshots, it's not what I'd consider perfect from an aesthetics point of view.

I doubt I'll track this car much, or at all, so getting the stance just how I like is very very important to me. I planned to go with a coilover setup to achieve this, but the rumored MRC really has me second guessing what would be best. For a street machine, I'd think it would be like taking a step backwards to go with coilovers over MRC. However, getting that stance just right is very important to me so I'm not sure what I'd do.

Perhaps the MRC will be an option and then I'd have the choice of saving money with a base suspension model and upgrading to coilovers to achieve my goal? Even if that's the case, it's going to be a very tough decision.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #422
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
I haven't followed the Corvette very closely the last couple of years, but is the magnetic ride control the preferred suspension on the Vette now? I see it is standard on the ZR1 and there doesn't seem to be a Z51 package anymore.

It seems to have come a long way in the last few years.

Rick
The Z51 package has been amplified and transformed, if you will into what's now the Grand Sport Corvette. It has all the same Z51 goodies as the original package, along with a Z06 body kit, Z06 brakes, and some other improvements over the base car.

However,
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I believe Carbon Z06 has it, and that's it, as far as C6 goes.
The ZR1, Carbon Z06 both have Magnetic Selection Ride Control (MSRC) as standard equipment, and it's optional on the base Corvette for ~$2000.00.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
That's my main concern with this system, as I don't believe there's a way to lower the vehicle without compromising the fantastically engineered MRC system. And while I agree that the stance is better than the SS based on the available spyshots, it's not what I'd consider perfect from an aesthetics point of view.

I doubt I'll track this car much, or at all, so getting the stance just how I like is very very important to me. I planned to go with a coilover setup to achieve this, but the rumored MRC really has me second guessing what would be best. For a street machine, I'd think it would be like taking a step backwards to go with coilovers over MRC. However, getting that stance just right is very important to me so I'm not sure what I'd do.

Perhaps the MRC will be an option and then I'd have the choice of saving money with a base suspension model and upgrading to coilovers to achieve my goal? Even if that's the case, it's going to be a very tough decision.
I doubt it'll be an option given the extensive engineering involved with dialing in the system JUST right for each vehicle application. They wouldn't do all that work and then make it an option on a low-volume model...in my opinion, anyways. I would take a look at some CTS-V forums to see what those guys have done as far as lowering the car. The system only really replaces the traditional shock absorbers...I think there's some play in there.

Pete from Pedders has given some excellent insight into the benefits and disadvantages of the MagneRide system (Its 'real' name since it's a system used on many different cars, including Ferraris). The cliff-notes version is that MSRC is phenominal on all but the most extreme racer levels of driving. When you're truly racing a car with MSRC, it can overheat. Coilovers will not take away anything from the handling of the car if you swapped...but the vehicle will be more predictable in that a computer is not micro-managing the suspension stiffness every 1/1000 of a second.

Really, it's a matter of cost. On top of a Z28, do you want to spend a couple thousand more on coilovers to lower the car another inch or so?
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #423
RickD
 
RickD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Pete from Pedders has given some excellent insight into the benefits and disadvantages of the MagneRide system (Its 'real' name since it's a system used on many different cars, including Ferraris). The cliff-notes version is that MSRC is phenominal on all but the most extreme racer levels of driving. When you're truly racing a car with MSRC, it can overheat. Coilovers will not take away anything from the handling of the car if you swapped...but the vehicle will be more predictable in that a computer is not micro-managing the suspension stiffness every 1/1000 of a second.

Really, it's a matter of cost. On top of a Z28, do you want to spend a couple thousand more on coilovers to lower the car another inch or so?
Thanks for the info. I was curious how the MSRC compares with traditional shocks and it sounds like it is superior unless you are truly racing. I am not as concerned about the ride height as I am about the performance.

Not even sure I will be able to afford the new car anyways, but it's nice to dream.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 AM   #424
chevyss
SS/RS
 
chevyss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern Washington
Posts: 816
Talked to my dealer yesterday and they said that they had just come back from a Chevrolet meeting and nothing was said about the Z. Sure hope they plan to call it the Z28. HP just doesn't cut it. SS is better if they don't make the Z. They said that I would be the first one on the list to order when they can. Hope they make the Synergy Green color with the Z.
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #425
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyss View Post
Talked to my dealer yesterday and they said that they had just come back from a Chevrolet meeting and nothing was said about the Z. Sure hope they plan to call it the Z28. HP just doesn't cut it. SS is better if they don't make the Z. They said that I would be the first one on the list to order when they can. Hope they make the Synergy Green color with the Z.
Maybe they were just playing semantics No one said anything about Z28 at the meeting
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
2012 camaro hp edition, 2012 camaro hp model, 2012 camaro z28, 2012 chevy camaro z28, 2012 z28, 2013 camaro hp edition, 2013 camaro hp model, 2013 z28, camaro hp edition, camaro hp edition model, camaro hp model, camaro z28, camaro z28 hp, camaro z28 hp edition, chevy camaro hp edition, cobra killer, hp edition model, new camaro z28, new z28, sexy beast coming soon, z28 forum, z28 forums

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shno's House of Z Number 3 Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics 15430 Today 12:09 AM
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 07:10 PM
Camaro Production Numbers 1967 - 2002 PAUL SS General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 3 07-22-2010 08:12 AM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 08:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.