Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Drives: '10 R6P 2SS/RS M6, '96 S10 ZR2 M5
Have you ever owned a car that caused you to have an emotional attachment/response?

Seriously. Has anyone here ever had some sort of emotional attachment and response while driving a certain car/truck? It could be an old 69 250 Camaro or even the new 5th gen.

I'll admit that when I drive the Falcon.. I've teared up at times when I get her passing people in 5th doing ***mph. It's just a beautiful, awesome feeling. I almost felt it driving the 5th gen.. but never a Mustang or Challenger. There's just something visceral about my 4th gen.

So, how 'bout it?
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
SS 376

Drives: IBM 1SS
Emotional? No. I love my Camaro and really enjoy driving it, but it's just a car. I might get annoyed if there was a door ding or bird shit on it, but I never got choked up about it.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
MLL67RSSS

Drives: 67 Indy Pace Car
I've formed an emotional bond, some stronger than others, with every vehicle I've ever owned. Just that kind of guy. They're my babies good or bad.

When I sold my blue '84 monte SS I'd owned for 16 years and only got caught in the rain a few times with at SUPER CHEVY in '93, my knees went weak and almost buckled when I went to walk away from it for the last time. My wife almost had to carry me out of there!
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
motorhead
bars suck

Drives: ZL1
After I smashed up my favorite car when I was 16 I soon learned that cars are cars ,and they make them everyday.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
3 cars..

My first Jeep.
My 97 sport side 1/2 ton
THR 22

All for different reasons.

But I see each of them as old friends that enabled me to have experiences and memories I'd otherwise never have.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Sport 4x4. This is the first truck I've kept more than 3 or 4 years and I love it.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Drives: 2010 SLP ZL575 #70
My last two Camaro's (1994 Z28 & 2001 SS). The 2001 SS more so because I took her to car shows and cruise-in's. Cleaned the engine compartment with every wash. I should have kept her.... but now I'm getting that same attachment to my 2010 SS.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS4Fun; 01-14-2011 at 02:01 PM.
SS4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
Driving the Vette, top down....is like being seventeen again and scoring with the Homecoming Queen (again)!!!

PonyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Some guy knocked on my front door and asked if my '69 Camaro was for sale. I got all shakey and freaked out just THINKING about selling it. I had no intention of selling. This was back in the 80's.

It doesn't bother me anymore when they do that. I can just blow it off now. Selling just isn't on the table.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMan View Post
Driving the Vette, top down....is like being seventeen again and scoring with the Homecoming Queen (again)!!!

Driving mine makes me feel 20 all over again... oh, wait

Yeah, I agree to some extent, I've had a lot of fun and a lot of memories with my camaro. Every time I check my mirror's it reminds me of cruising down to C5F with a row of camaros behind me. Worst part of the trip was when I was almost home, looked at my mirrors and for the first time in 4 days... there wasn't a 5th gen back there
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
Entaille

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I think the emotional attachment is what drew me into buying the new Camaro (first car was a 68 camaro). I'm not even really sure it was the best choice. something I an contemplating at the moment.

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: Blown beast.
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
It's kind of weird. Obviously, considering what I've been through with my car now, I have a strong sentimental bond with it, but it all started with my first car.

In 1986 I bought a 1973 Z-28 and loved it. Weird part is the 'Bond' I had with that car didn't manifest its self till years later. I never thought too much about it at the time, but years later it hit me. Maybe it was the single and teenage thing I was missing, but it was realized in the memory of my first car. It's where my love for the Camaro started.

But, if I had to give up this car I have now, it would be MUCH worse initialy and MUCH MUCH worse down the road in memory.

Oh, and don't let GTAHVIT fool you. I saw him grasp the keys to that Mazda. Tom had to practically pry them out of his hands while wrestling on the floor of the showroom.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
My 1st Fbody yes. Lil 3.8 wasn't very fast, but took a beating and kept on kickin. Was a love-hate relationship for sure Fond memories for sure

Now that I think about it, I have a hard time not bonding with my Camaros LOL Each one has meant something a little different to me, but each one a strong bond. Selling the two that I had to let go was not easy...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
It's kind of weird. Obviously, considering what I've been through with my car now, I have a strong sentimental bond with it, but it all started with my first car.

In 1986 I bought a 1973 Z-28 and loved it. Weird part is the 'Bond' I had with that car didn't manifest its self till years later. I never thought too much about it at the time, but years later it hit me. Maybe it was the single and teenage thing I was missing, but it was realized in the memory of my first car. It's where my love for the Camaro started.

But, if I had to give up this car I have now, it would be MUCH worse initialy and MUCH MUCH worse down the road in memory.

Oh, and don't let GTAHVIT fool you. I saw him grasp the keys to that Mazda. Tom had to practically pry them out of his hands while wrestling on the floor of the showroom.

What mazda???

Psh
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I've never had one of my cars bring me to tears, but I wish I hadn't sold my 2004 Silverado. This picture was actually before the serious modding started, I only had it for about 3 months at the point this picture was taken. It was like a good buddy.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
It's kind of weird. Obviously, considering what I've been through with my car now, I have a strong sentimental bond with it,
PQ, The C5 forum has a "sentimental bond" with your Camaro, Bonnie's pictures made sure of that!!!! You are a lucky Man!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
BigDan

Drives: bug
Short answer is NO.

Ive owned 20+ car's so far and I never got those feelings.

I wish I still had my 67 Camaro w/ ZZ4 and a stalled TH400 that my ex ended up getting in the break up, but a little part inside of me is glad it moved on and I dont have to deal or think about it's small problems anymore. I miss it about as much as my first car which was a root beer brown 74 Maverick with the Grabber package.

Here's my first GM muscle car that I bought when I was 18. Pic was taken a few years later when I was 21 at my then new house. Notice the brand new for the time, 275/60/15 BFG comp TA Drag Radial
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #18
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
I miss my 91 Rs. I tracked it down and called the guy and he wouldnt give a price. I didnt want to pay through the roof for it so i just let it go.. Maybe down the road..

To the guy above.. What a car at 18!!!!!!
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
I do believe that the only car that has ever made me emotional is this one:
Attached Images

chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #20
Penaw001

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS
Mine were not glamorous but I loved them none the less. First I had a 99 Cavalier and 05 SRT 4. Here is the neon:
Penaw001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #21
BigDan

Drives: bug

NICE first gen Monte. That is what I bought to fill my GM muscle car void after I found out my ex sold my 67 Camaro. As you can see in my sig I still have it, but it's parked out side. :(
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #22
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Seriously. Has anyone here ever had some sort of emotional attachment and response while driving a certain car/truck? It could be an old 69 250 Camaro or even the new 5th gen.

I'll admit that when I drive the Falcon.. I've teared up at times when I get her passing people in 5th doing ***mph. It's just a beautiful, awesome feeling. I almost felt it driving the 5th gen.. but never a Mustang or Challenger. There's just something visceral about my 4th gen.

So, how 'bout it?
Dude, I can totally relate to you! This 5th Gen L99 was my very first car!!! Can you imagine how I felt when some one tapped my bumper!! I'm 25, and I'm a "grown ass man",...my "ass" is "grown", ...when I saw that damn bumber chipped, I DAMN NEAR CRIED! Omfg! I popped my trunk, took out a detail tower, and put my face in it and damn near cried, as I struggled to regain composure. I wanted to cry so bad, I kinda did, but without tear, I felt stabbed in the heart! Then I got pissed! And got over it.

Cause now,...it doesn't matter. I still love my Camaro. It's my first car, but it's performance just isn't on par with what I want, stock. You get what you paid for. I really wanted a ZR1 or at least a Z06, but can't afford it, so....what can a middle class man do to get this type of performance? BUY A VETT AND SUPERCHARGE THAT B****!! lol! 580rwhp what now!? lol.

Yeah, but I'm still kinda emotional over my dent, pissed every time I look at it, but soon, it's be in another mans arms.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:36 AM   #23
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
I've developed some level of emotional attachement to every vehicle I've owned. The strongest for the three Camaro's.

The only one that brought me to tears was when my first car, an 81 Z28 was totalled when I was 16 by a guy who ran a red light.

But the strogest emotional attachment to a car goes to my current one, a 98 SS. I really want a 5th gen, but I wouldn't be able to keep the 98 if I did, and I can't bring myself to sell it. I even had a guy out of the blue offer me $15k for it, more than it's worth, and I couldn't do it. That car will bring tears some day too if it's ever taken from me.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #24
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Yes.
My first real car was a 1998 Z71 truck. I never test drove the truck, I just bought it, I worked at the dealer, and they had huge discounts on them. I got talked into the 4x4 too. I drove it about 3 miles and thought to myself, Uh Oh! I have 35 more payments of this, what have I done?!?!?!? I traded it for a 1999 Z28 new of course (I thought I was moving on from the dealership and wanted to get a sporty car - more my style). I loved that truck by the time I traded it.

1999 Z28:
I loved that car. I leased it at the time to keep payments down, then planned on buying it. The t-tops leaked, it squeaked and rattled, but I loved it. I teared up when I turned in the lease. I was getting married, house, 2 cars, couldn't swing it.

2001 VW Passat:
Still have it. 267,000 miles, I drive it like a race car. best car I have owned. I thought the turbo went a few months ago (turned out to be a coil) I got very emotional about having to get something different. I was even planning on a newer GTI, but still the thought of not going to my grave with that car is unsettling.

1997 Kawasaki ZX-7R:
Wrecked it the week I got it for being stupid and inexperienced. Put 21,000 miles on it. When I sold it, my hands were shaking when I gave the guy the keys, again nearly tearing up as he rode off with it. (I bought a ducati 996 the year before and couldn't justify 2 sport bikes - still have the 996)
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #25
98_Camaro
The Purple People Eater

Drives: 1998 Bright Purple Metallic V6
I'm emotionally attached to mine to some extent.
I put a lot of effort trying to keep her nice and clean, so it does pain me when I find new battle scars in the paint, but if I lost her in an accident (in which I'm not at fault, I don't think I'd cry about it, mostly because there are some things in life that are unavoidable.
Would I ever sell her? No, but that's because she's my first car. A lot of guys at the car shows always talk about how they had a Camaro as their first car and kick themselves today for selling it. My own dad kicks himself for selling his '67 RS/SS for parts (though, he has a gorgeous '69 RS/SS today). It's even a little heartwarming to go to car shows and talk with some of the owners who still have their Camaro's from when they were in high school. We met a guy last night who had his '71 since '75.
And to me, it's just too beautiful to willingly let go: