Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

View Poll Results: If the "HP edition" Camaro was called Z28:
Yes, I would still be interested in purchasing the car. 537 78.17%
No, I wouldn't buy it because that's not what I think it should be called. 150 21.83%
Voters: 687. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #226
Sawyer


 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 5.0
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,350
^ Not sure the extra weight of the 454 would work. But I like your thoughts..
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #227
nick at night
 
nick at night's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 silverado
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: mardela, MD
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post

2. The Z28 should, as it historicly did, rival the Boss 302 Mustang if at all possible, the reasoning behind which being that the Boss is a race-inspired vehicle like the Z is while the GT500 is a street inspired vehicle, although VERY potent, its still just street inspired

3. The Z should be a car tuned to a high performance level, tuned, not just supercharged, im talking cam an LS3, change the exhaust, mod the heads, strip the car bare to the essentials for weight savings and let it loose...an LSA with heated seats and nav just doesnt fill those shoes at all
Sounds like an SSX
nick at night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #228
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,046
I am liking adding SSX to the CAMARO line-up the more I see it. Just because the way the concept was, I believe it should be a BOSS competitor, and this SC'd model Z28. It's a little role reversal, but why wouldn't they just have called SSX Z28 when they introduced it? I still don't know how I feel about it, but I think it's a cleaver enough name, and catchy. To me, it is more of a stripped SS, so I still think it should be SSX, rather than Z28; Z28, from what we can see, but still have no ultimate confirmation of, is a lot different than SS, so I think it should have a completely different designation. SSX can be a pumped SS (like we see in the concept) and Z28 can just be a different animal altogether. I'm still a little uneasy about what seems like a role reversal; I sill want Z28 to be the top dog, though LOL.

We'll just have to continue to wait
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #229
6D8Z28
 
6D8Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 68 Z28
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 24
Send a message via AIM to 6D8Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
My thoughts exactly

Seems to me the big problem here is half the people are just impatient for a Camaro named Z/28 and the other half just dont wanna be forced into a supercharged Z/28 cause it goes against the heritage of the name...so i ask...why was everyone so up the LSA's @ss in the first place? LOL, dropping some motor other than the LSA or LS9 in this car making the same power in an N/A set up would please both sides, so as ive always suggested i say GM dispell the LSA rumors. Id go for a re-vamped LS7 or a production version of the LSX454
Don't you guys feel that Chevy has missed the Heritage boat here away? I bought my 2010, just because I liked the looks of the car. If Chevy was really into the tradition of the camaro, they would have thought this out and had a plan to keep the type's/performance packages when they designed the 2010. I mean when you can get rally strips on any model, doesn't that say it all. Chevy was in trouble and did what they had to do, just to stay in business. If you want a Z/28, buy one from the "60's, because you can stop progress and call it Z/28 or HP Edition...its still a nice car.
__________________
2SS/RS, AMB, Polished Wheels, Sunroof
1100-Preliminary Order Accepted 7-23
2000-Order Accepted by GM 10-12
3000-Order Accepted by Production Control 10-19 ( 11-2 TPW )
3300-Order Scheduled for Production 11-2 Confirmed
3400-Order Broadcast 11-2 Confirmed
3800-Order Produced 11-7 Vin #64346 "On Hold"
4000-Available to Ship 11-12
4200-Shipped 11-14 Rail # EXXT908088 (Arrived Mira Loma, CA. 11-22 3:50am)
4800-Bayed
5000-Delivered to Dealer
6000-Customer Pick-up
6D8Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #230
76CamaroLT
 
Drives: 4wheels
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jersey
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
...all that being said, quite honestly, if this car WAS named Z28 i would enjoy it still, but i would purchase a Boss 302 before this car...because odds are the Boss will be comparable in performance with a lot more attitude for way less money.
I would love to get my hands on a Laguna Seca. If the opportunity, some how, presented itself at MSRP I think I would have to buy it.
76CamaroLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #231
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D8Z28 View Post
Don't you guys feel that Chevy has missed the Heritage boat here away? I bought my 2010, just because I liked the looks of the car. If Chevy was really into the tradition of the camaro, they would have thought this out and had a plan to keep the type's/performance packages when they designed the 2010. I mean when you can get rally strips on any model, doesn't that say it all. Chevy was in trouble and did what they had to do, just to stay in business. If you want a Z/28, buy one from the "60's, because you can stop progress and call it Z/28 or HP Edition...its still a nice car.
Initally - I thought they might have. Because of the 4th Gen., I figured SS would be the Top Dog. However - seeing SS used on other Chevy models led me to believe it is more a "standard" high performance model, much like the Mustang GT. Then, Z28 would be the super-high performance model. I still don't know that Chevy has missed the heritage boat. Times change. It seems to me that some people would still rather the car come with manual everything and none of the advancements in performance that the latest technology has allowed many cars to enjoy. I don't thing GM can make a car, like Z28 started out as, now. I could be wrong, though, because Ford released the Boss, so... We'll see how much people like paying more for a car that has less (not performance - content). That doesn't sound like much of a winning formula for sales, and I think that's what it's all about right now.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #232
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,463
Smile

How does

LING FEL TER
HEN NES SEY
BER GER
S L P
ETC ETC sound???

I am not worried... GM will do us proud! They know the iconic symbolism of what they are designing. Not to worry... it will certainly Badge out a ton better than what you see above... (no disrespect to those above!)...
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #233
6D8Z28
 
6D8Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 68 Z28
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 24
Send a message via AIM to 6D8Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Initally - I thought they might have. Because of the 4th Gen., I figured SS would be the Top Dog. However - seeing SS used on other Chevy models led me to believe it is more a "standard" high performance model, much like the Mustang GT. Then, Z28 would be the super-high performance model. I still don't know that Chevy has missed the heritage boat. Times change. It seems to me that some people would still rather the car come with manual everything and none of the advancements in performance that the latest technology has allowed many cars to enjoy. I don't thing GM can make a car, like Z28 started out as, now. I could be wrong, though, because Ford released the Boss, so... We'll see how much people like paying more for a car that has less (not performance - content). That doesn't sound like much of a winning formula for sales, and I think that's what it's all about right now.
No you're absolutely right. You can't stop progress. That's why my '10 has a sunroof, Bluetooth, XM Radio and nothing is manual. I love it, I just wish they would of thought about the Z/28's performance package before they put it into another car. That's what's great about the first gen. Z/28. It's the only camaro with the 302 and when you saw those hood strips, you knew what it was. I'm was just looking for a special and rare performance package, but I guess that's not very realistic any more...is it? Sure...selling cars is #1, but bragging rights is important too.
__________________
2SS/RS, AMB, Polished Wheels, Sunroof
1100-Preliminary Order Accepted 7-23
2000-Order Accepted by GM 10-12
3000-Order Accepted by Production Control 10-19 ( 11-2 TPW )
3300-Order Scheduled for Production 11-2 Confirmed
3400-Order Broadcast 11-2 Confirmed
3800-Order Produced 11-7 Vin #64346 "On Hold"
4000-Available to Ship 11-12
4200-Shipped 11-14 Rail # EXXT908088 (Arrived Mira Loma, CA. 11-22 3:50am)
4800-Bayed
5000-Delivered to Dealer
6000-Customer Pick-up
6D8Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #234
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Also, I did not see someone ask this question, but did yall ever figure out what the "HP" stands for?
I'm going to make an education guess here and say it stands for "High Performance".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
I feel like a lot of people are missing the point behind NOT calling is Z28, just because this car wouldnt be called Z28 doesnt mean there wont be a Z28 model at all, we're not officially limited to 3 trims here.
Given current and looming CAFE standards, and the host of other performance cars GM is obligated to support...I don't like the chances of hoping for another exceptional Camaro model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
What me and a lot of other people are saying is that this specific car isnt what a Z28 is supposed to be, it doesnt fill any of the criteria of what a Z28 is
I contend that there is no "criteria". And if there is...who is qualified to set these rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
2. The Z28 should, as it historicly did, rival the Boss 302 Mustang if at all possible, the reasoning behind which being that the Boss is a race-inspired vehicle like the Z is while the GT500 is a street inspired vehicle, although VERY potent, its still just street inspired

3. The Z should be a car tuned to a high performance level, tuned, not just supercharged, im talking cam an LS3, change the exhaust, mod the heads, strip the car bare to the essentials for weight savings and let it loose...an LSA with heated seats and nav just doesnt fill those shoes at all

4. The Z should be AFFORDABLE. If you're going to have a historical name out there like that that the public would devour, let them devour it, dont make it a premium item

...all that being said, quite honestly, if this car WAS named Z28 i would enjoy it still, but i would purchase a Boss 302 before this car...because odds are the Boss will be comparable in performance with a lot more attitude for way less money.
2. The '67 Z28 was race-inspired. If not race-BRED, like the current Z06. But times have certainly changed, and the Camaro is no longer a professional racer for its manufacturer. HISTORICALLY speaking...I see the only thing ALL Z28s had in common over the Camaro's nearly 45 years was they were top-end Camaro trim levels. Every generation seemed to bring a little bit different of a formula to the nameplate....why should this 5th generation be required to limit the Z28 to those original restrictions that the '67 had to endure based on racing regulations?

3.I mean no offense...but this comment doesn't lend to your understanding of the word "tuned". Do you really think the LSA is just an LS block with a supercharger slapped on?

Two points here...the first, is that you're assuming this Z28 to be what you've got in your mind it'll be...personally...I expect it'll be much...MUCH more - so understand that to be a source of our disagreement. The second point...your suggestion about modifying the heads and exhaust plus a total stripping of the interior....is impractical and impossible for an OEM today. Emissions standards will absolutely rule out the performance modifications, and the interior gutting will make the car appealing to nobody but a very few.

4. Affordability is determined as much by the environment in which a car is introduced, as it is in the vehicle's content. In today's environment...we have fuel economy standards...and a picky consumer. The former will require volume to be restrained unless its a fuel miser, and the latter will require all the modern amenities we've come to take for granted in vehicles. I promise you that if the interior is gutted, the public will NOT devour it. Chevy will be lucky to sell over 2,000 units...

And finally...I think you drastically overestimate that Boss Mustang...especially compared to a car that's not even been confirmed. But there's no argument to be had here, one way or the other...just my .02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D8Z28 View Post
I'm was just looking for a special and rare performance package, but I guess that's not very realistic any more...is it?
Well, it can be...the Z28/HP Edition will have a comprehensive performance treatment. I mean that from the tires to the aerodynamics, this car will be touched-up, tuned-up, and made DAMN sure to outperform any possible competition. I expect it to absolutely look the part, as well. But to do all that...it's not going to be cheap, which will rarefy it...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #235
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
I feel like a lot of people are missing the point behind NOT calling is Z28, just because this car wouldnt be called Z28 doesnt mean there wont be a Z28 model at all, we're not officially limited to 3 trims here. What me and a lot of other people are saying is that this specific car isnt what a Z28 is supposed to be, it doesnt fill any of the criteria of what a Z28 is except that its the highest performance option (yes, Z28 is the highest performance option, the only reason there is doubt is because SLP needed something to call their upgraded 4th gen Z28s and just ended up calling it SS, other than that small fluke Z28 and/or Z/28 has always been the higher performance model). But just making this the highest performance model shouldnt make it a Z, here's my qualifications:

1. Any Z28 should be the highest performance model except for minor acceptions, ZL1 being one of them or packages to enhance the Z28 such as 1LE

2. The Z28 should, as it historicly did, rival the Boss 302 Mustang if at all possible, the reasoning behind which being that the Boss is a race-inspired vehicle like the Z is while the GT500 is a street inspired vehicle, although VERY potent, its still just street inspired

3. The Z should be a car tuned to a high performance level, tuned, not just supercharged, im talking cam an LS3, change the exhaust, mod the heads, strip the car bare to the essentials for weight savings and let it loose...an LSA with heated seats and nav just doesnt fill those shoes at all

4. The Z should be AFFORDABLE. If you're going to have a historical name out there like that that the public would devour, let them devour it, dont make it a premium item

...all that being said, quite honestly, if this car WAS named Z28 i would enjoy it still, but i would purchase a Boss 302 before this car...because odds are the Boss will be comparable in performance with a lot more attitude for way less money.
Okay, good points, however if Chevy will introduce the Z-28 to "rival" the Boss 302 R reincarnation then it has to produce a 5.0L motor along the same cubic inch benchmarks. The Mustang has not stopped production since it's inception and has built off the same platform with modifications and improvements since day one. The Holden Zeta platform is a different aniimal from the F body lineage, and compared to the Ford Mustang chasis it is apples and oranges different. The Camaro5 would need forced induction of one sort or the other to compensate for all it's structural integrity. Sticking a 6.2 L or anything else into it and calling it a Z-28 to rival the 302 R is missing the whole idea of the displacement limitations that were implemented for the trans am series and making a modern retro version. That seems to be the direction Ford is heading with their's. Take some time and read about Ford's 2012 302 R. The 5.0 Ford would be stomped to death by a similary equiped 6.2L, so where's the rivalry in that. We have to think about what the intentions are of the two manufacturers for what the cars are going to be designed for before we can really speculate on a powerplant. AS it is, IMHO the Camaro can't be striped down sufficiently in the current form and go toe to toe with a lighter performer with the same cubic inch displacement unless a boat load more torque and hp can be wrung out from it. Any thoughts?
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #236
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
High Horsepower edition? That's lame!
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #237
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
High Horsepower edition? That's lame!
High Performance....and I seriously doubt it's a production name consideration...fwiw.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #238
Darkflow
 
Darkflow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS LE
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Odessa, TX
Posts: 90
Personally, i would like it to be called a "Z28. I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt though. HP Edition isnt the name though, idk why it would be?? I think its just GM trying to keep everyone from knowing exactly what the name is as of right now. Similar to how they arent giving out a name for the possible ressurection of the G8 as a Chevy.
__________________
2002 35th Anniv. Chevrolet Camaro SS# 4784 LE# 2117
Darkflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #239
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner
 
14pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,382
A blown, option laden Camaro should not be named Z-28. It should be named "High corporate and dealership margin dollar, overweight bling ride", or HCDMDOBR.

A first gen inspired Z-28 to me means high reving N/A, lightweight, no frills, road race suspension and brakes, dry sump pan, functional cold air hood and with boxed up long tube headers in the trunk to swap on for those track days.
__________________
Quote:
Quote:
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 AM   #240
thok mcbeefstew
 
Drives: 01 Silverado Z-71 / 2011 Suburban
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29
I have a question for the crowd. Is it a big deal for this car to be very suped up and to be great on the track? I would say with this new suspension, and all of the testing on "the track", it is GOING to be a track car. NOW, if this track car also has a MONSTER engine, I fail to see the argument. Not to pick a fight, but I don't think it is in GM's best interests to build so many different variations of a car due to the financial situations. So if this car crushes the Boss and the GT-500, what is the problem? Not to mention the only reason why the GT500 isn't a great track car, is because Ford can't get it right.
thok mcbeefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:12 AM   #241
Epitaph
Custom User Title
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by thok mcbeefstew View Post
Not to pick a fight, but I don't think it is in GM's best interests to build so many different variations of a car due to the financial situations.
We have a V8(SS)(4 trims 1SS Conv, 2SS Conv, 1SS, 2SS) and a V6(LS/LT)(5 trims: 1LT Conv, 2LT Conv, LS, 1LT, 2LT). I guess you could look at that as 9 Camaros (going on a 10th), but I only see 2 (going on a 3rd).

If you don't give people choices, they will go to someone who offers them.

Take a look at the Mustang, you're given 10 choices (V6, V6 premium, v6 conv, GT, V6 premium conv, GT premium, GT conv, GT premium conv, GT500, GT500 conv). You have the V6, GT, and GT500 (3).

I guess if they offer the next version of the Camaro in convertible, that would be 11.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #242
Vega
 
Vega's Avatar
 
Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 589
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
@Dragoneye I feel like you missed the point of my posts, im not saying the Z should be limited, and im not saying completely strip the interior, im saying do what Ford is doing with the Boss, which is leave out the luxury aspect and go for what a muscle car originally was, a stripped (as in lightweight materials and no fancy luxury, not "no interior at all") car with emphasis on light weight, handling, and high output. I dont see why people seem to think this is such an irrational formula when Ford has already announced their doing it with one of their Mustang models. So im not saying make it a no-interior car with an aftermarket motor and running straight headers and all that, thats rediculous, im saying go as far as you can towards a stripped down road warrior as all the standards and regulations will allow you too.
Also i dont consider the LSA as "tuned" at all, its a whole motor in itself, you dont tune an LSA to become an LSA, you just build an LSA. Sure it has an LS block and a supercharger but its all part of the motor itself none of it is changed from any other standard motor, i dont consider it tuned...now if GM presented an LS3 or LS7 with a different cam and heads than anything they offer stock in any car or as a crate then i would consider that a tuned motor.
As for the Boss i dont over estimate it, i just love the idea behind the car, im not a Ford lover by any means i love all muscle with a slight partialness towards GM, hell i drive a Camaro. Its not the fact that its a Boss or a 302 or any of that, its the idea behind it i love, that "no fancy crap here" idea LOL

@thok mcbeefstew Because with that kind of mind-set whats the point in a V6 model at all? or whats the point in a GT mustang if there's a GT500 out there thats even better, and whats the point of even offering a GT500 at all when there's a GT500 Super Snake. See my point?

@14pilot I completely agree, and some may say "well thats true, for 1st gens, but this isnt 1st gen anymore" but i still agree with you, because these cars SHOULD closely resemble their heritage, thats the whole point, if it wasnt the Mustang wouldnt look like a 60s' Mustang and wouldnt have a 302ci motor, and the Camaro wouldnt look like a 60's Camaro, and the Challenger would DEFINATLY not be the boxy ass "to hell with aerodynamics" Vanishing Point machine we see today. Its all about nastalgia and heritage, so keep the nastalgia and the heritage, if you want a 2-door LSA powered super machine with everything and the kitchen sink...buy a CTS-V Coupe...leave my manual cloth seat, manual gear box, small-fry radio, no-nav Z/28 alone.

Last edited by Vega; 01-19-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #243
alexcfwu
 
alexcfwu's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Trans Am
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 60
I think we need a few more variations:

HP Standard Edition -- whatever the base is... as long as it has more than 500+ HP, new chrome, wheels, leather, logo, paint choices...
HP Luxury Edition -- Every single gadget that you can think of from the SEMA show including the NAV and Audio system... 11 speakers +
HP Super Sport Edition -- Street Legal minus the luxury... Think IROC Z
HP Race Track Ready -- not street legal... no heater, no AC, no radio... just good old fashion built for race track warriors ...

Now come to think of it... I think I want the HP Luxury Edition
alexcfwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #244
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
@Dragoneye I feel like you missed the point of my posts, im not saying the Z should be limited, and im not saying completely strip the interior, im saying do what Ford is doing with the Boss, which is leave out the luxury aspect and go for what a muscle car originally was, a stripped (as in lightweight materials and no fancy luxury, not "no interior at all") car with emphasis on light weight, handling, and high output. I dont see why people seem to think this is such an irrational formula when Ford has already announced their doing it with one of their Mustang models. So im not saying make it a no-interior car with an aftermarket motor and running straight headers and all that, thats rediculous, im saying go as far as you can towards a stripped down road warrior as all the standards and regulations will allow you too.
Also i dont consider the LSA as "tuned" at all, its a whole motor in itself, you dont tune an LSA to become an LSA, you just build an LSA. Sure it has an LS block and a supercharger but its all part of the motor itself none of it is changed from any other standard motor, i dont consider it tuned...now if GM presented an LS3 or LS7 with a different cam and heads than anything they offer stock in any car or as a crate then i would consider that a tuned motor.As for the Boss i dont over estimate it, i just love the idea behind the car, im not a Ford lover by any means i love all muscle with a slight partialness towards GM, hell i drive a Camaro. Its not the fact that its a Boss or a 302 or any of that, its the idea behind it i love, that "no fancy crap here" idea LOL

@thok mcbeefstew Because with that kind of mind-set whats the point in a V6 model at all? or whats the point in a GT mustang if there's a GT500 out there thats even better, and whats the point of even offering a GT500 at all when there's a GT500 Super Snake. See my point?

@14pilot I completely agree, and some may say "well thats true, for 1st gens, but this isnt 1st gen anymore" but i still agree with you, because these cars SHOULD closely resemble their heritage, thats the whole point, if it wasnt the Mustang wouldnt look like a 60s' Mustang and wouldnt have a 302ci motor, and the Camaro wouldnt look like a 60's Camaro, and the Challenger would DEFINATLY not be the boxy ass "to hell with aerodynamics" Vanishing Point machine we see today. Its all about nastalgia and heritage, so keep the nastalgia and the heritage, if you want a 2-door LSA powered super machine with everything and the kitchen sink...buy a CTS-V Coupe...leave my manual cloth seat, manual gear box, small-fry radio, no-nav Z/28 alone.
Hmm... Those are good points. I'd agree LSA isn't tuned, like, say, LS7. I don't really think LS7 was that radical, per se. Maybe in terms of emissions it was, because why would GM take a tiny step back, reduce displacement, and go FI with LS9? I mean, I know why they used the 6.2 block, but GM obviously couldn't hit specific targets with the power they wanted with LS7 (maybe NVH and emissions). I mean gigantic CNC-ported heads, and what would be maybe considered a fairly radical OEM cam, and big displacement, but something just doesn't jive for me. I think, as far as Z28 goes, that GM knew it couldn't feasibly drop enough weight, and even keep a fair amount of ameneties (even like you suggest), without bumping the power significantly, so it reallty had no choice to add more weight and go LSA.

I think Ford simply can go the route they are with the Boss because they've have people to focus on it. To me, it seems the inception of the 5th Gen started in a skunkworks, if you will. I believe CAMARO has progressed to where it is now from fanatics within the Team, not so much because of how much GM is actually investing in the car; I mean the passion behind the Team has pushed it more than the money has. I'm not putting it on the screen like I'm seeing it in my head, lol. Ford had been able to keep the Mustang going this whole time. We had a little break with GM, so while I think CAMARO line will eventually match model-for-model, I don't know that's possible right now. I fully support it right now, but I just don't know if it's a good time quite yet.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #245
6D8Z28
 
6D8Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 68 Z28
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 24
Send a message via AIM to 6D8Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Okay, good points, however if Chevy will introduce the Z-28 to "rival" the Boss 302 R reincarnation then it has to produce a 5.0L motor along the same cubic inch benchmarks. The Mustang has not stopped production since it's inception and has built off the same platform with modifications and improvements since day one. The Holden Zeta platform is a different aniimal from the F body lineage, and compared to the Ford Mustang chasis it is apples and oranges different. The Camaro5 would need forced induction of one sort or the other to compensate for all it's structural integrity. Sticking a 6.2 L or anything else into it and calling it a Z-28 to rival the 302 R is missing the whole idea of the displacement limitations that were implemented for the trans am series and making a modern retro version. That seems to be the direction Ford is heading with their's. Take some time and read about Ford's 2012 302 R. The 5.0 Ford would be stomped to death by a similary equiped 6.2L, so where's the rivalry in that. We have to think about what the intentions are of the two manufacturers for what the cars are going to be designed for before we can really speculate on a powerplant. AS it is, IMHO the Camaro can't be striped down sufficiently in the current form and go toe to toe with a lighter performer with the same cubic inch displacement unless a boat load more torque and hp can be wrung out from it. Any thoughts?
You guys have both made some very good points. When chevy brought back the camaro they were the ones that compaired it to the '69. I guess they just meant "the look". I'm sorry but I was hoping for alot more. I was waiting for the options, in styling and performance. Back then you had the small block, SS, RS, SS/RS and the Z/28. You also had the optional L78, 375hp 396 big block, which is a rare car these days. In my option the Z/28 just needs to out perform the Boss 302 and what ever Challenger (Hemi 392) we go up against. My biggest fear is the one of the car mags compairs the Boss or Challenger to LSA powered Caddy (ouch) ...instead of their true Z/28 rival. While I do enjoy my new camaro, I will order the Z if it makes sense. I've only owned Z's in the past, I just hope Chevy gives me a reason to own another one. Keep the conversation going guys. It just started to get interesting.
__________________
2SS/RS, AMB, Polished Wheels, Sunroof
1100-Preliminary Order Accepted 7-23
2000-Order Accepted by GM 10-12
3000-Order Accepted by Production Control 10-19 ( 11-2 TPW )
3300-Order Scheduled for Production 11-2 Confirmed
3400-Order Broadcast 11-2 Confirmed
3800-Order Produced 11-7 Vin #64346 "On Hold"
4000-Available to Ship 11-12
4200-Shipped 11-14 Rail # EXXT908088 (Arrived Mira Loma, CA. 11-22 3:50am)
4800-Bayed
5000-Delivered to Dealer
6000-Customer Pick-up
6D8Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #246
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
High Performance....and I seriously doubt it's a production name consideration...fwiw.
yeah you caught me lol. Typo on my part but still lame on their part.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #247
KarFan
 
KarFan's Avatar
 
Drives: CARS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 479
Should be a curb weight limit on usage of Z28. I'd say any production Camaro over 4,000 lbs curb weight shouldn't qualify as a Z28.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #248
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thok mcbeefstew View Post
I have a question for the crowd. Is it a big deal for this car to be very suped up and to be great on the track? I would say with this new suspension, and all of the testing on "the track", it is GOING to be a track car. NOW, if this track car also has a MONSTER engine, I fail to see the argument. Not to pick a fight, but I don't think it is in GM's best interests to build so many different variations of a car due to the financial situations. So if this car crushes the Boss and the GT-500, what is the problem?
I'm right there with ya'!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
@Dragoneye I feel like you missed the point of my posts, im not saying the Z should be limited, and im not saying completely strip the interior, im saying do what Ford is doing with the Boss, which is leave out the luxury aspect and go for what a muscle car originally was, a stripped (as in lightweight materials and no fancy luxury, not "no interior at all") car with emphasis on light weight, handling, and high output. I dont see why people seem to think this is such an irrational formula when Ford has already announced their doing it with one of their Mustang models.

As for the Boss i dont over estimate it, i just love the idea behind the car, im not a Ford lover by any means i love all muscle with a slight partialness towards GM, hell i drive a Camaro. Its not the fact that its a Boss or a 302 or any of that, its the idea behind it i love, that "no fancy crap here" idea LOL
Okay, I understand where you're coming from now. I guess at this point all I have to say is that "just because Ford did it, doesn't mean it's smart". I, too, like what Ford did with the Boss. I think GM could have done it better...but that's neither here nor there. I don't believe Ford will sell very many of those Boss Mustangs at all. Meanwhile, the GT500 will still wear the PR crown as the "King Mustang"....which is the image Chevy is going for with this rendition of Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Also i dont consider the LSA as "tuned" at all, its a whole motor in itself, you dont tune an LSA to become an LSA, you just build an LSA. Sure it has an LS block and a supercharger but its all part of the motor itself none of it is changed from any other standard motor, i dont consider it tuned...now if GM presented an LS3 or LS7 with a different cam and heads than anything they offer stock in any car or as a crate then i would consider that a tuned motor.
Hmm...I disagree completely. The LSA has been wholly modified from the standard LS block. But this is not your main concern here, so I'll digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
To me, it seems the inception of the 5th Gen started in a skunkworks, if you will. I believe CAMARO has progressed to where it is now from fanatics within the Team, not so much because of how much GM is actually investing in the car.
Oh, the company is very supportive of the Camaro this time around. The passion of the enthusiasts, and the team (who are enthusiasts, themselves) for this car has made it that way. Any limitations will be more because of the other brands they have to attend to and the resources split, rather than the support-factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
yeah you caught me lol. Typo on my part but still lame on their part.
They could have called it he BA Edition....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
Should be a curb weight limit on usage of Z28. I'd say any production Camaro over 4,000 lbs curb weight shouldn't qualify as a Z28.
Ehh.....I think there needs to be more logic then that...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #249
heavyt100
 
heavyt100's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Outta' here
Posts: 241
It WILL be called the Z28.
heavyt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #250
nick at night
 
nick at night's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 silverado
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: mardela, MD
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyt100 View Post
It WILL be called the Z28.
Source? Or is this your opinion? I can't see it being called something else after all the hype but you never truly know. Unless you know.... Then... I guess you know....
nick at night is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gran Turismo 5... No Camaro? 5thGenOwner 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 111 12-06-2011 11:06 AM
* * * 2011 Camaro / SEMA Special Edition News * * * CamaroScotty Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 16 11-06-2010 07:43 AM
Im sure this has been asked before.. But forgive my innocence :) gmag21 Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 23 02-21-2010 11:29 PM
Drag Racing Suspension Kits Info@PeddersUSA.com Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 25 02-21-2010 09:48 PM
Answeres to questions I have stumbled on dieseldave24v 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 13 02-23-2009 07:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.