Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
lightner75
President LoneStarCamaro

Drives: 2010 cyber gray 2ss
Headers

Hello all,
I need help...I recently purchased some used headers for an awesome price..They are ceramic coated but,does have some pretty good scratches in them..I was going to have them powder coated but was told that would not hold up to the heat..Is this true and if so what could be some other oppositions that i could do? Any suggestions would be appreciated..
thanks...
lightner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
ADIO SS

Drives: 2010 White SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightner75 View Post
Hello all,
I need help...I recently purchased some used headers for an awesome price..They are ceramic coated but,does have some pretty good scratches in them..I was going to have them powder coated but was told that would not hold up to the heat..Is this true and if so what could be some other oppositions that i could do? Any suggestions would be appreciated..
thanks...
Powder coating and store bought 'rattle can' header paint burns off... If you like the ceramic coating, and if they are ceramic coated, you will need to get them stripped and re coated i.e Jet Hot coating is a company that does this - not cheap!.

Now, if they are steel headers they will eventually begin to rust and even the ceramic coating will flake off. If stainless steel, they will look pretty longer, but I hear and have no visual proof, that they too will flake over time.

I purchased ARH headers, still in the box and wrestle with what do I want. Pretty and reduced temperature or leave them alone. I have got more opinions to just install them, let them turn the 'brownish' color and move on.

By the way, the other part of this is if they do flake, as the insides are also normally coated, they can collect and clog the 'kittens'.

Lastly, the high temp cermaic coating also lowers the engine bay temp - very effective I hear.

Hence, now you know why my own decision is difficult to make.
ADIO SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
JUISSD

Drives: 2010 White/IOM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADIO SS View Post
Hence, now you know why my own decision is difficult to make.
Coat them, you won't regret it.

OP, don't powder coat them, they won't hold up. If the scratches bother you have them recoated with a ceramic coating.

JUISSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Post some pics of the scratches.

If they are already ceramic coated you might be able to use some green sctoch brite to kind of sand them down a little and then polish them. Depending on the scratches they may not complety come out be will probably get you close.

Otherwise re-coat them.....probably cost you around $300 give or take a little.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105219
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
I have ceramic coated headers on my Trailblazer SS for four years now and no flaking. It is a daily driver as well. IMHO worth the money.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to danhr
coatings are worthless unless it's a car that suffers from IAT problems... which these do not unless you put some sort of forced induction under the hood
Old 01-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
coatings are worthless unless it's a car that suffers from IAT problems... which these do not unless you put some sort of forced induction under the hood
I have gone back and forth over this decision myself. If you have the inside scoop on this I would love to know more. Where did you get the info from.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
danhr
BAMF SS

only gain is that you can touch your headers 15 mins after your turn your car off.

No real performance gains unless you have a setup that is plagued with high IAT's.

I have had jet hot coatings and factory coatings from hooker and edelbrock..... they have flaked off.

Money is better spent elsewhere imo, because I have yet to see anyone post any gains besides them rambling on marketing gimmicks.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
No one ever said there were performance gains with ceramic coating...

Many people say it helps reduce engine bay heat, I have no proof of this. However, when I can touch mine 10 minutes after shutting my vehicle off, I would imagine it remains slightly cooler in bay as well.
Performance: 439 RWHP A6: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, FTI Converter, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Appearance:Smoked side markers and black bowties. Blk / Blue Carbon Fiber interior trim.

Next in order: F14s, 3.70 gears, DSS Axles, End links/Toe rods/trailing arms, Ported heads, S/C.

1100 7/02 Ordered
3800 8/09 Order produced
4200 8/13 Shipped
6000 8/24 HOME!
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:30 PM   #10
danhr
BAMF SS

people like to run the phrase (not in this thread but it's a popular excuse)

"coated headers keep the engine bay cooler, so it has to give lower IAT's, which makes more power, because you are getting colder air"
Old 01-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
danhr is right... Its mainly for bragging rights and if you want it to stay looking good. All the claims of cooler temps and all that are just for marketing. If you want the best advice, ask the ones that have actually done the mods like danhr, SuperchargedSS, Speedster, ect..., and not the ones trying to sell you a product.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #12
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I had mine coated for cosmetic looks only. Not for any performance reasons.....but that's me.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #13
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I had mine coated for cosmetic looks only. Not for any performance reasons.....but that's me.
The best reason to do any mod.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Besides cooler engine bay temps you reduce the radiant heat from the driver side header onto the engine oil cooler and on passenger side away from the starter and wires even though this side has a heat shield from the factory. Just another 2 cents worth.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
JUISSD

Drives: 2010 White/IOM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off View Post
danhr is right... Its mainly for bragging rights and if you want it to stay looking good. All the claims of cooler temps and all that are just for marketing. If you want the best advice, ask the ones that have actually done the mods like danhr, SuperchargedSS, Speedster, ect..., and not the ones trying to sell you a product.
I disagree. I had my ARH headers coated by Polydyn and the underhood temps are definitely reduced. Like others have said, I can touch the headers after 10 minutes. The good looks over a bare header is a nice bonus too.

JUISSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
I tested coated vs un-coated with a pyrometer and it was 200 degrees cooler on the surface of the collector.

Ceramic coating is worth the extra $$.

DW
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 4 DW View Post
I tested coated vs un-coated with a pyrometer and it was 200 degrees cooler on the surface of the collector.

Ceramic coating is worth the extra $$.

DW
did the collector have 100+ mph winds going by it?

and since when is the air filter location of the 2010 camaro adjacent to the collector?

Here's a comment towards coated headers from a very mainstream tuner....

"Well everybody jumps on this bandwagon of wanting to keep underhood temps down. Which is great, I love it, whatever you can do to keep underhood temps down is going to help make the motor produce more power. But what we're doing by ceramic coating the headers is we are locking that heat inside the exhaust... Not allowing it to dissipate... This heat now acts as an agent in producing detonation. Almost every car I've ever tuned that had ceramic coated headers, was not able to take as much ignition timing as a car with uncoated stainless steel headers. So the power was greatly reduced because instead of tuning for all out power, I had to tune for detonation. Extra fuel, and less timing... Things that have a great effect on what kinds numbers your car will put down on the dyno, and at the track"
Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #18
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
I have had my Doug Thorleys for over a year now, and they still look brand new!!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #19
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
What the coatings do is...

Ok. What the coating does is reduce the negative effects of the boundary layer of exhaust gases traveling along the pipe walls. The coatings lower the coefficient of thermal conductivity of the metal, keeping more heat in the gases. As the gases cool near the pipe walls, they slow down and begin to swirl against the faster, hotter gases moving down the center of the tubing. The lower coefficient of thermal conductivity makes the tubing "appear" larger to the flow of exhaust because the boundary layer is thinner.

For an example, 1 7/8" primary tubes in plain mild steel could "appear" as 1 3/4" diameter tubing due to the the resistance to flow caused by the higher thermal conductivity of mild steel. Coat these same mild steel tubes and the engine "sees" larger primaries and scavenges better.

Yes it also reduces underhood temps and can help other components live longer by reducing heat. Some people also prefer the looks of coatings over bare metal. Stainless Steel can also be coated to lower it's thermal conductivity, but 304 SS is already about 3 times more efficient than mild steel, so the gains wouldn't be as dramatic.

Coating mild steel = Mo' Power !!!
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #20
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Just do it - life is short/my Kooks continue look great w/Jet-Hot!
Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote