Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Ant

 
Drives: It's a Hyundai...FML.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 818
Is it possible to convince the dealer to accept a supplier discount lol?

I ordered my car already, but my dealer said they don't accept supplier discounts on the Camaro.

My dealer seems to really like me lol, he said that I'm a nice kid and that he told his wife about me because it turns out that he actually lives around the block from me.

I wonder if there's a way I can get him to take the discount....
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,354
The only way I've ever gotten a dealer to reduce his price or do something that they won't do is find another dealer who will, take down the dealerships name, phone number, city and the salesmans name and have him put it in writing that they will, go back to your dealer and tell them "Hey this dealer over there has promised in writing that they will do this. I would much rather do business with you but if you can't match it then I will go over there." Most dealers won't believe you and will want to call to confirm what you said and most of the time will agree with your terms.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,456
GM said in the last IDL that they would be honoring all discounts so he CAN honor it if he wants to. Just have to convince him that he needs to do so to get the sale.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
Ant

 
Drives: It's a Hyundai...FML.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
GM said in the last IDL that they would be honoring all discounts so he CAN honor it if he wants to. Just have to convince him that he needs to do so to get the sale.
What's an IDL lol?
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079
 
pinkcamaro10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,814
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
start crying and beg for it.
__________________
pinkcamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,238
I wouldn't honor any supplier discount on any hot moving car. Just makes no business sense. When things start to slow down, I'd do it though.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
XmustangOwner
 
Drives: 1998 Ford Mustang GT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
The only way I've ever gotten a dealer to reduce his price or do something that they won't do is find another dealer who will, take down the dealerships name, phone number, city and the salesmans name and have him put it in writing that they will, go back to your dealer and tell them "Hey this dealer over there has promised in writing that they will do this. I would much rather do business with you but if you can't match it then I will go over there." Most dealers won't believe you and will want to call to confirm what you said and most of the time will agree with your terms.
good luck with that. most dealers wont write down what they are offering you unless you can come up with a really good story for what you want it for because they want your business and they know what your doing so dont take them for fools either. i tried that when i was buying my mustang and they wouldn't write anything down for proof and i told them i was just comparign cars and i didnt want to lose the deal.
XmustangOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Edrock

 
Edrock's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jamestown, NC
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
What's an IDL lol?
I always thought it was an Acronym for Information DownLoad for the dealers. Apparently, every so often, GM will host an information dump session about products and services via satellite feed to all the dealerships and I think they refer to it as an IDL. I don't have any confirmation on this so consider this more of an educated guess.
Edrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079
 
pinkcamaro10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,814
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I wouldn't honor any supplier discount on any hot moving car. Just makes no business sense. When things start to slow down, I'd do it though.


For a company thats in as bad of shape as GM right now, they need to offer the discounts, and the dealerships arent selling cars either.

You are putting the car on a pedestal because you are an enthusiast. The car is a hot moving car only because there are enthusiats. The average consumer(who gm is trying to target) will go buy a mustang. They need to give every discount they can to try and sell this car.
__________________
pinkcamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
a6pk2go

 
a6pk2go's Avatar
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 1,721
I'm getting the supplier discount from Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, TX
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
For a company thats in as bad of shape as GM right now, they need to offer the discounts, and the dealerships arent selling cars either.

You are putting the car on a pedestal because you are an enthusiast. The car is a hot moving car only because there are enthusiats. The average consumer(who gm is trying to target) will go buy a mustang. They need to give every discount they can to try and sell this car.
I think they will sell every car they will be able to build this year. Too much interest at car shows and media who are not enthusiasts. Car is also well priced compared to the competition.

Supplier discounts don't hit GM's profit on the car, only the dealers. If GM was the one who took the $$$ hit, every dealer would gladly accept every supplier discount because it would be no skin off their back. Don't forget, dealers will probably only get 15 cars on average this year that aren't spoken for. Most of them will come just in time for winter.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmustangOwner View Post
good luck with that. most dealers wont write down what they are offering you unless you can come up with a really good story for what you want it for because they want your business and they know what your doing so dont take them for fools either. i tried that when i was buying my mustang and they wouldn't write anything down for proof and i told them i was just comparign cars and i didnt want to lose the deal.
Me and my parents have had no problems getting them do this. Last month my parents just bought my brother an Impala. We have about 10 dealers within an hours drive and we went around with with a notebook writing down their OTD price, apr, any discounts they accepted and trade in price of his old car. We even got all the salesmen to sign it and even a couple sales managers.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
RPO_Z28

 
RPO_Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 C6Z
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: RVC, New York
Posts: 1,754
Dealers don't care whether or not you walk with your Supplier discount on a Camaro. The salesman has bills to pay as well. There's no reason to take $1000-$1500 off of a deal that's already written. Why don't you ask him to fork over his commission to you as a favor? If you don't buy it, someone else will.
__________________
RPO_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown beast.
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,916
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
For a company thats in as bad of shape as GM right now, they need to offer the discounts, and the dealerships arent selling cars either.

You are putting the car on a pedestal because you are an enthusiast. The car is a hot moving car only because there are enthusiats. The average consumer(who gm is trying to target) will go buy a mustang. They need to give every discount they can to try and sell this car.
Yup. Not to mention Mustang has a few years on them.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #15
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M
 
OUR72GTO's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kamloops,British Columbia
Posts: 4,623
You better go see his wife.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #16
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I wouldn't honor any supplier discount on any hot moving car. Just makes no business sense. When things start to slow down, I'd do it though.
Are you marking up the price as well?
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #17
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Are you marking up the price as well?
No, that I wouldn't do. They are making a good chunk at MSRP. It's all about supply and demand. Let market forces do it's thing.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #18
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes
 
camarolt76's Avatar
 
Drives: 88 Iroc, 76 Camaro, 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hampton Roads Virginia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I think they will sell every car they will be able to build this year. Too much interest at car shows and media who are not enthusiasts. Car is also well priced compared to the competition.

Supplier discounts don't hit GM's profit on the car, only the dealers. If GM was the one who took the $$$ hit, every dealer would gladly accept every supplier discount because it would be no skin off their back. Don't forget, dealers will probably only get 15 cars on average this year that aren't spoken for. Most of them will come just in time for winter.
Are you sure that the dealer takes the hit on the Supplier Discount, and not GM? I am interested because I am eligable for the Supplier Discount, but I did not discuss it with my dealer. I also have a GM credit card. I did discuss that with them and they said that if GM offers the credit card discount (probably $1000 max.) they would take it. It does not affect their bottom line at all. The GM card discount is as good as my money.
camarolt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #19
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarolt76 View Post
Are you sure that the dealer takes the hit on the Supplier Discount, and not GM? I am interested because I am eligable for the Supplier Discount, but I did not discuss it with my dealer. I also have a GM credit card. I did discuss that with them and they said that if GM offers the credit card discount (probably $1000 max.) they would take it. It does not affect their bottom line at all. The GM card discount is as good as my money.
The GM credit card is not the supplier discount and in that case (as well as the student first time car buyer discount), GM and the CC takes the hit. That's why every dealer will be more than happy to accept that discount - will not affect their profit on the car. You don't pay with the CC of course but the deal allows GM to pass some of the discount cost to the CC.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #20
live2well
 
Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Odenton, MD
Posts: 690
I am still amazed at how many dealers wont honor the employee or suppliers discount on the Camaro. It just doesnt make sense to me why they wont honor it. In the Big picture those who are eligible are a small percent of the total sales of the dealer. If the General Manager/owner doesnt honor it they are losing a sale and lose a customer for life. Some dealers are so short sighted. If you move cars you make money. I would rather sell 100 cars at a dollar profit than one car at 100 dollars profit.


Oh and to answer the OP. Just go in with the appropriate info and ask for it. If they dont give it to you then do a take away close and tell him your going to go to the next dealer and they will give it to you. But be willing to do what you say. Dont forget you are in charge. They want your money more than you want the car. STAY IN CONTROL.
__________________
Intelligence plus character that is the goal of true education.
BrianC. :flag2:

Last edited by live2well; 01-29-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: didn answer the OPs question
live2well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #21
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2well View Post
I am still amazed at how many dealers wont honor the employee or suppliers discount on the Camaro. It just doesnt make sense to me why they wont honor it. In the Big picture those who are eligible are a small percent of the total sales of the dealer. If the General Manager/owner doesnt honor it they are losing a sale and lose a customer for life. Some dealers are so short sighted. If you move cars you make money. I would rather sell 100 cars at a dollar profit than one car at 100 dollars profit.
One of my best friends is the largest GM dealer in my city. He has almost 300 employees and his dealership covers a city block. If he doesn't sell 5 cars a day on average, he is going to be in the red. $100.00 over invoice will not cover the overhead such as admin staff, building maintenance cost, outragous insurance rates and property taxes. Then he has to feed his family after everyone else.

Specifically to your point, if a car is sitting on a lot for 90 days then yes, he would consider a supplier discount just to move it. He sold all of his guaranteed yearly alottment for the Camaro already at MSRP so no reason to think he could not sell more at MSRP. At a time when dealers are hurting, they should sell at whatever the market is willing to bear without going above MSRP. If you want a discount, simply wait a year.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #22
383ss
 
Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lemont, IL
Posts: 284
I'm hoping to
__________________
the smartest person on Camaro5! Thanks for enlightening us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsdguru View Post
31000 for ss1 no options and who in the hell would buy a SS1 V6 for kids SS1 for girls LS3 the only way to go G8 Gxp 200lbs more my bad so lets think here 200lb more 27 less hp so 5 tenths slower now 373 gear now mabe 3tenths slower 4 door car sad so so sad

Last edited by 383ss; 02-06-2009 at 01:44 PM.
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #23
live2well
 
Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Odenton, MD
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
One of my best friends is the largest GM dealer in my city. He has almost 300 employees and his dealership covers a city block. If he doesn't sell 5 cars a day on average, he is going to be in the red. $100.00 over invoice will not cover the overhead such as admin staff, building maintenance cost, outragous insurance rates and property taxes. Then he has to feed his family after everyone else.

Specifically to your point, if a car is sitting on a lot for 90 days then yes, he would consider a supplier discount just to move it. He sold all of his guaranteed yearly alottment for the Camaro already at MSRP so no reason to think he could not sell more at MSRP. At a time when dealers are hurting, they should sell at whatever the market is willing to bear without going above MSRP. If you want a discount, simply wait a year.

I truly understand your view and no disrespect intended but your best friend's overhead is too high if he cant absorb a the employee discount or supplier discount (btw which is part of an employees compensation package "pay"). I only say that because most of his car sales would NOT fall into the employee or suppliers discount catagory.

Example being that if his yearly allotment was 20 cars and he sold 15 of them at MSRP and 5 were sold with GMS discount, then he is doing something wrong if this hurts his bottom line significantly. If 25% of his sales get the GMS discount and this takes food off his table then he is running his business the wrong way.

I hope I havent offend you. I am not trying to offend any one but if we keep running our businesses the same way we have for the last few year we are dooming our businesses. We need to start thinking long term not short term. Decades not just one or two years down the road.
__________________
Intelligence plus character that is the goal of true education.
BrianC. :flag2:
live2well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #24
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2well View Post
I truly understand your view and no disrespect intended but your best friend's overhead is too high if he cant absorb a the employee discount or supplier discount (btw which is part of an employees compensation package "pay"). I only say that because most of his car sales would NOT fall into the employee or suppliers discount catagory.

Example being that if his yearly allotment was 20 cars and he sold 15 of them at MSRP and 5 were sold with GMS discount, then he is doing something wrong if this hurts his bottom line significantly. If 25% of his sales get the GMS discount and this takes food off his table then he is running his business the wrong way.

I hope I havent offend you. I am not trying to offend any one but if we keep running our businesses the same way we have for the last few year we are dooming our businesses. We need to start thinking long term not short term. Decades not just one or two years down the road.
Hi Brian,

No you haven't offended me in anyway. Discussion is good in my world, even if it is regarding polar opposite opinions about something. I agree with you that a dealer should grant employee discounts on a vehicle. Yes that would be part of a compensation package and would most likely be clearly identified in the employment contract/benefit plan.

To your second point about selling 15 out of a 20 allotment at MSRP and then having 5 to sell at discount, he would still make money as a whole but the dealer world is not that simple. Looking at Camaros alone, you are assuming that this would be the case every year. In reality, it would only be the case for the first year.

Once Oshawa gets fully ramped up, supply will be greater than demand and dealers will at last be able to hold inventory of the Camaro (lot cars). At that time, there is more incentive for a dealer to move a car because now, he has to worry about carrying costs. 10 Camaros sitting on a lot is $300,000 (roughly) to the dealer. GM gets paid even before some lot cars get sold. So what do you think the monthly interest is on $300K? That money must come from the dealers profit from the car.

There is another issue that has not been discussed here which complicates things even further. GM tries to get dealers to take slow moving or no moving cars which the dealer will lose money on every sale. Here's the scenario -

A few years back, GM could not build enough Hummers and they were flying out the door at MSRP. My dealer friend was selling them as soon as he got them. He ordered as many as he could get. The catch? He had to buy 3 Pontiac Aztecs for every Hummer he got. What's the big deal about that? The problem is he couldn't sell them and lost a minimum of $1,000 on every one. GM didn't lose a dime because they still got their money. So where does the Aztec sales loss come from? The Hummer sales.

The same thing will happen here. GM will pressure Chevrolet dealers to buy a dud if they want a Camaro. The profit from the Camaro sales will offset the loss from other cars. You would figure that GM would just build whatever is in demand and stop building what isn't. It's one more area that needs to be addressed in the new GM. Give dealers the cars they are asking for and stop giving them the cars that don't sell.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #25
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes
 
camarolt76's Avatar
 
Drives: 88 Iroc, 76 Camaro, 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hampton Roads Virginia
Posts: 596
Excellent post Hylton, and thanks for the reply to my post.
camarolt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did you get an order # or any refernce for your pre-order? D1BADZ Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 21 05-22-2009 06:39 PM
Some Dealer Info..... KarlChev Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 82 04-23-2009 09:16 AM
Factory Striping vs. Dealer Installed RetroDude Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 1 04-23-2009 02:01 AM
UPCOMING CAMARO IMPORTANT DATES CamaroScotty 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 125 01-11-2009 01:31 AM
Just got my suppliers discount confirmed!!!!!!! shroomjohn Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 73 10-05-2008 04:02 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.