Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
ucHuskies

Drives: 2014 SS/RS Blue Ray
CEL - after gone, car still feels slow/sluggish

Hi everyone,

Only mods I have are VTC and Range AFM Disable.

Got my car washed today (finally a nice day!), and as I went to leave I noticed that they had the ignition in the "ON" position but the engine hadn't been started. After starting it up, the car barely moved in gear at idle, and then noticed that the CEL light was on. I pulled into a side street to check things out and it felt like limp mode to me, no power at all.

Turned the car off, and because I had heard of problems with the range if you leave the car in the on mode without starting it up, first tried unplugging the range device and starting 5 min later. Tried this a couple times and no luck. Tried one more time after also unplugging VTC, and CEL goes away!

However, the car still felt slow (though better than limp mode for sure) and the power just wasn't there. I don't think it was just me being used to the VTC -- even dropping to 3rd on the highway didn't put me back in my seat as usual. Could limp mode have reverted me back to the low octane tables and a fuse pull be what I need? Or should I bring her in for a look at the dealer?
ucHuskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Call Vitesse, let them know whats going on. I suspect that they sent you the incorrect Controller. Perform a fuse pull and disconnect battery for a few minutes.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Couple of things going on here...

First clue - "Got the car washed".. did they get something wet that is supposed to be dry?

Second clue - CEL. Light came on, then went off. There is a code stored. Need to know what it is.

Third clue - removed Range and VTC... and nothing changed. So, removing them didn't fix the issue? is it possible that they are not at fault?

If it were me, I'd want to know what the CEL code is. Swing by an Autozone and get the code. Look it up and you'll know what happened. Hopefully.

Good luck. Hope it works out.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:22 PM   #4
ucHuskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Couple of things going on here...

First clue - "Got the car washed".. did they get something wet that is supposed to be dry?

Second clue - CEL. Light came on, then went off. There is a code stored. Need to know what it is.

Third clue - removed Range and VTC... and nothing changed. So, removing them didn't fix the issue? is it possible that they are not at fault?

If it were me, I'd want to know what the CEL code is. Swing by an Autozone and get the code. Look it up and you'll know what happened. Hopefully.

Good luck. Hope it works out.
Thank you guys for the feedback. I have good news. I think everything is resolved!

Probably should have waited before making this thread, but at least this is here now in case others have this issue.

I should have been a little more specific -- let me make the timeline clearer:

-Found car in on position, not started. After starting, CEL and limp mode
-Turned car off, removed Range. Restarted. CEL still on.
-Wait 5 min, retry. No luck.
-Wait 5 min again (maybe 2 starts will clear it?), no luck.
-Remove VTC, wait 5 min, restart. CEL gone.
-Did not re-plug either device in, drove about 30-40 mi, car still sluggish

At this point, I did the fuse pull and made this thread. About an hour ago, I reinstalled the fuses, reinstalled both devices, and re-calibrated VTC. No CEL, and the car feels just as strong as normal!

I am guessing that the CEL caused the car to revert to the lower octane tables as a precaution. Anyway, hopefully this might help someone else in the future. Thanks again!
Old 04-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
It would still be worth while to know the code in case it happens again.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
Ragnar

Drives: '14 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jravenfan View Post
I agree, I would want to know what the stored code was. Glad things worked out for you
Old 04-12-2015, 09:22 AM   #7
ucHuskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jravenfan View Post
That's a good idea. I'll check it out and reply back once I know.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
A good number of guys have been seeing Thottle Position Sensor related codes with reduced engine power after the installation of the VTC. My guess is that you've received the same code. If it happens again, you definitely should verify the code and if that's the case, return the VTC for replacement.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Glad to hear everything is ok.