Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Unsterblich

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS convertible
Wrapping your car.....

Hey guys. I've seen some awesome looking camaros that are wrapped. I don't know much about wrapping cars. What are your opinions of it? Can it be removed easily? Does it harm the paint if you remove it? Does it fade after a while? Thanks.
Unsterblich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
it fades, last several years like any vinyl up to 7, and so cost thousands....and does save the paint and like any vinyl is best put on and removed with heat. Even doing rally stripes or spears or such I use goo-gone to help.
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks billet badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
camrytt

Drives: 2014 L99
It'll cost you around 2k for the whole car

Current: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Past: '12 LFX, full bolt ons + E85, 302hp/267tq
camrytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
Unsterblich

So it'll probably be better and cheaper to just paint the car. Ok. Thanks guys.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #5
jrhagen

Drives: Camaro
Dip.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Cheaper to paint? A quality paint job will be 5k-10+. Iv seen 1-2k paint jobs. Never look good or lots of overspray/build up in moldings. Unless you know someone paint is the most expensive. The best but most expensive.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
Cyber10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
It's expensive and only lasts a few years. I think at this point plastidip is the most economical choice for doing something like this(and I mean doing it properly out of a paint system not rattle cans). Much cheaper and if you buy everything to do it yourself you'll save yourself even more money down the line.

Both are much cheaper than paint, but I never liked the idea of wrapping a car for a few thousand dollars knowing it wouldn't last forever. And good vinyl that lasts is not cheap.

LS3 Conversion | Comp Cam Custom Grind | Mast Heads | Comp Cam Push Rods | LS7 Timing Chain | 180 Thermostat | Ported Intake | Ported TB | SLP UDP | K & N CAI | Custom 3800 Stall Converter | Aluminum 1 Piece Driveshaft | Kooks 1 7/8" LTH | High Flow Cats | ARH 3" Exhaust | ARH Mufflers | Eibach Lowering Springs | BMR Floor Brace Subframe Connectors with Tunnel Brace | BMR Moly Lower Rear Control Arms | Oracle LED Halo Kit
Cyber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
camrytt

Yea paint is really expensive. You can get your full car plastidipped for 900 or for about 500 yourself, with the spray gun included. They have some awesome colors

Current: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #9
Unsterblich

Yea,.....I'm thinking about looking into plasti dipping it myself. But my best friend said he will do the paint job for me. All I need to is pay for the paint, etc.
He owns his own body shop. I didn't know until recently that you could buy an actual sprayer for the plasti dip. I only knew about the spray cans. So, I'm considering doing it myself. It would be fun. I've done everything else to the car. Might as well paint it too.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #10
camrytt

Yep they sell gallons of it on dipyourcar website. I want to do mine eventually. The key is just to do plenty of coats, otherwise it sucks taking it off

Old 07-09-2017, 11:43 PM   #11
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsterblich View Post
Yea,.....I'm thinking about looking into plasti dipping it myself. But my best friend said he will do the paint job for me. All I need to is pay for the paint, etc.
He owns his own body shop. I didn't know until recently that you could buy an actual sprayer for the plasti dip. I only knew about the spray cans. So, I'm considering doing it myself. It would be fun. I've done everything else to the car. Might as well paint it too.
The cool thing about it, if you don't like the end results you can just remove it. Plastidip can look great when prepared and applied properly.
2010 Cyber Gray Metallic Camaro 2SS/RS L99 - Texas Speed Longtubes (Catless), Summit X-Pipe, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle Back (w/MBRP GFX Tips), Vararam OTR CAI, Granatelli wires/AC Delco 41-110 Plugs, 160* Stat, LED DRL/Harness, Vitesse Throttle Controller, STOP-TECH Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors w/Street Pads, ZL1 Leather Steering Wheel, ZL1 Add-Ons Wicker Bill Spoiler, SLP Front Splitter - Tuned by His Highness DynoSteve
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote