Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
ronniels3

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quietest and Simplest Headers

I am looking to get a little more performance out of my new SS. However I do not want it to be that loud. I will use the stock mufflers. Which company makes the quietest headers? I also want to use as much of the factory exhaust as possible. Companies that appealed to me were Stainless Works, Borla, and B and B. I do not want to change all the pipes back to the mufflers at this time so I am not interested in ARH or Kooks.

Thank You
ronniels3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Just to let you know....almost every major header Mfg (including ARH and KOOKS) sell just the headers and connection pipes to hook up to your stock exhaust system. They are also going to be about the same loudness no matter what the brand is you get.

If you just want a little more performance without all the money you could go with a High Flow cat setup from JBA or SOLO. Won't be as good as long tubes and will be about the same in the loudness category.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
"Quietest and Simplest Headers"

No such thing
Old 01-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Get a set of Kooks or ARH headers with catted connection pipes. Use the factory cat back exhaust and you are all set. Anything else is not worth the time/money/effort IMO.
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
Got stainless works. They sound awsome and very nice quality. Talk to Apex motorsports.
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
SS 376

Drives: IBM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
"Quietest and Simplest Headers"

No such thing
This is correct. There is no meaningful difference in volume between brands. Just make sure to use high flow cats rather than straight pipes.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
ronniels3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
This is correct. There is no meaningful difference in volume between brands. Just make sure to use high flow cats rather than straight pipes.
Are the headers louder without the cats? Im in Florida and there are no emmisions here so I can get away witout them but being to loud is my main concern. I had a vette with 1 7/8" ARH with cats with Corsa Indies and it was F*ckin loud.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
No cats would be louder.
If you want to keep noise down, get shorties, keep your stock cats, resonators, and mufflers, and call it a day.

The "Quietest" (kind of an oxymoron) LT headers set up would be Long tubes with high flow cats, resonators and stock mufflers.
Just pick the one that sounds the best to you.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
ParisTNDude

Drives: 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniels3 View Post
Are the headers louder without the cats? Im in Florida and there are no emmisions here so I can get away witout them but being to loud is my main concern. I had a vette with 1 7/8" ARH with cats with Corsa Indies and it was F*ckin loud.
Without cats, your ECU will throw codes and would require you to tune the sensors out. Unless you can live with constant engine management warnings, install HF cats. My opinion.

Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...html?r=1"]2010
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
ronniels3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGuy11 View Post
Get a set of Kooks or ARH headers with catted connection pipes. Use the factory cat back exhaust and you are all set. Anything else is not worth the time/money/effort IMO.
I see that stainless works sells this setup and it is fairly cheap. What are the prices to go this route with Kook's or ARH? I want an American made header.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
Wilburbeest
Think With Your Dipstick!

Drives: 1997 Camaro Z28
Loud is pretty subjective. I thought my 4th gen was quiet with the Flowmaster it came with when I got it, but most begged to differ. Considering the 5th gen is dead quiet stock, you would probably still be pretty quiet if you were to do LTs, high flow cats, and keep the stock gas can mufflers/resonators. Once you get the stock cats removed or replaced the stock exhaust actually flows pretty good apparently. Even with high flow cats though a tune is still a good idea with LTs.

1997 Camaro Z28 (LT1/T56): K&N CAI | Kooks 1 3/4" LTs | 3" Custom Duals | UMI LCAs w/ relocation brackets | UMI adj. panhard bar | UMI adj. torque arm | Koni SA shocks | Strano Springs | Ram Powergrip clutch | Pro 5.0 shifter | skip shift eliminator kit | WS6 Store rotors | Hawk HPS pads
Wilburbeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
It is all personal pref...I personally can't stand LTs without Cats. I think it is stupid loud and sometimes a lil stanky.

There is a huge difference between too loud and versus having a great tone. With that said, I agree with the posters that told you to go Hi-flows first. It will save you a TON of money as opposed you dropping cash on LTs (approximately $1,000 for a decent set) and then you hate the sound. At least with hi flows you can always move up to LTs if it still too quiet.
Performance: 439 RWHP A6: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, FTI Converter, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Appearance:Smoked side markers and black bowties. Blk / Blue Carbon Fiber interior trim.

Next in order: F14s, 3.70 gears, DSS Axles, End links/Toe rods/trailing arms, Ported heads, S/C.

1100 7/02 Ordered
3800 8/09 Order produced
4200 8/13 Shipped
6000 8/24 HOME!
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
Shorties would be exactly what you have asked for.

DW
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
AFblueSS
U.S.A.F. Retired

Drives: Imperial Blue 2010 Camaro 1SS / 6MT
Send a message via Yahoo to AFblueSS
Stanky
Old 01-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
Don't waste money on high flow cats as you'll just end up buying long tubes anyway if you want more performance. There are quieter mufflers out there then the stock ones if it's too loud. I installed cat delete pipes and it wasn't worth the missing power for the money saved..... unless I decide to spend the $$$ on juice!
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
Fraxum

Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Any header, LTs or shorties, work well with the stock exhaust. It's free and no drone! Other exhaust mods after the cats to the back is for sound only and will give no additional horsepower.

However if you go big HP with a stroker or power adder you could see some gains with an end to end 3 inch exhaust.

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.

Last edited by Fraxum; 01-18-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #17
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
go to you tube and listen to Highcompression's sound clip. He has LT's without cats and stock exhaust and mufflers. Nevermind I will add it for you.

here is mine with LT's, High Flow Cats and Kooks Street Sleeper Exhaust

Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #18
Trackspec Motorsports

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
As the guys mentioned above, having no cats will most definitely make the car louder, with or without headers. With todays free flowing cat technology, you can still have cats and lose little, if any horsepower.

From a sound standpoint, the car will be slightly louder with a set of headers and cats with the stock exhaust system. The sound will not be insane like a set of long tubes and corsa indy's (my z06 had long tubes, cats, and borla stingers so i know what you mean about loud!) A lot of our customers actually prefer this set up to keep it on the quieter side but make sure people know you arent messing around either. The exhaust will be more authoritative with a set of headers and will increase in dB, but it will not annoy you.

We actually are having an incredible deal right now on a set of american racing headers, 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 your choice, that will hook up to the stock system and not replace the mid pipes...just headers and cats. They are some of the best headers money can buy and the HP gains are excellent. PM sent!

John@trackspecmotorsports.com

Last edited by Trackspec Motorsports; 01-18-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Trackspec Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote