Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
Will this be a descent setup?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_4900wt_952

im not looking for top of the line just some descent base...
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
Shredder

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT
Send a message via AIM to Shredder
That would be a very good set up, at a great price.

shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
I would not at all rely on that for any kind of descent. You're looking for this: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Belay-De...321837&sr=8-16
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
bigsquirrel

I mean for Christ's sake, those are speakers!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Shredder

Cut the guy a break. He's dogging you tmac because the word is spelled decent.

shredder
Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
Cut the guy a break. He's dogging you tmac because the word is spelled decent.

shredder
lol i see hes from ALBS too... ill be looking for you jk

looks alright to me too shedder.. may be my next purchase.. the stock base is crap
Old 01-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
bigsquirrel

Couldn't help it ;-)
Old 01-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Thats cheap... wonder where/how its so inexpensive.

a pair of 10's will be more than enough bass for most folks. dont forget that if you do put subs in your trunk, you will need to put sound deadener in at least the trunk lid.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Wow! That is cheap! $350 is an awesome price, toss in another $50 or so for wiring, and you'll have a pretty decent setup for very little!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Steve@Subthump

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
I have a setup that would compare to that in price, but with mine you'd have a 600w amp not 500w. Plus, with our harness and wiring kits, you could get everything you need from me at once.

If you look up the specs on the RF subs on an independent site they are only 150w rms. They are trying to pass them off as 300w subs, but that is the peak power not rms. Hooked to that RF amp, they will be getting nearly 100w more than rated. Who knows how long will they last?

The subs in my kit as mentioned are Infinity dvc rated at 300w rms. I believe for the same money they would last you longer and be a better investment overall.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
what setup is yours SubThump? Link to it?
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
Steve@Subthump

I don't have it posted up yet. I just got these subs in. Opened one up take a look and they are hella sweet for the price.

Here's a quick comparison between those RF's and the Infinity

The RF uses a stamped steel basket and tiny magnet and single vc.

The Infinities I have use a cast basket, thick surround and much larger magnet and are dvc. I know which ones I'd rather have given a tight budget.
Attached Images

Last edited by Steve@Subthump; 01-18-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
Shredder

Damn, Steve to the rescue! Steve has all the answers for the lame audio in our rides.

Shredder
Old 01-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #14
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
Damn, Steve to the rescue! Steve has all the answers for the lame audio in our rides.

Shredder
why go anywhere else...? lol

Old 01-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@Subthump View Post
The Infinities I have use a cast basket, thick surround and much larger magnet and are dvc. I know which ones I'd rather have given a tight budget.
Those Infinity Reference subs are great looking!

Old 01-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
Steve@Subthump

Yes they are. I opened the box and was like wow these are an incredible value. I'll probably package these with some of our drop in stealthboxes. The volume requirement is spot on so I know they'll work great.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #17
mrray13

Quote:
I don't have it posted up yet. I just got these subs in. Opened one up take a look and they are hella sweet for the price.

Here's a quick comparison between those RF's and the Infinity

The RF uses a stamped steel basket and tiny magnet and single vc.

Okay, just because I like to argue..lol..

The RF subs have better terminals. The push pin type are way better then the male spades on the Infinity.

The Infinity basket looks stamped, with a coating on it. Not a high end cast basket.

Magnet boots are played out, and make the Infinity magnet look bigger then it is. Magnet size isn't important anyway, it's the strength of the magnet that matters.

DVC vs SVC isn't about power, but rather wiring options. Diameter of the voice coil is what's important.

Large surround means smaller cone. That means potential frequency loss. A larger surround sub would need more xmax to make up for cone surface area loss over a larger cone/smaller surround sub.

All that said, I'm not saying one is better the other as I'm not a fan of either. I'd prefer a Memphis PR over either, followed by a Kicker Comp, Comp VR.

Also, I know Steve isn't trying to steer anyone wrong, I'm just trying to stir up a little debate, lol.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #18
Steve@Subthump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Okay, just because I like to argue..lol..

The RF subs have better terminals. The push pin type are way better then the male spades on the Infinity.

The Infinity basket looks stamped, with a coating on it. Not a high end cast basket.

Magnet boots are played out, and make the Infinity magnet look bigger then it is. Magnet size isn't important anyway, it's the strength of the magnet that matters.

DVC vs SVC isn't about power, but rather wiring options. Diameter of the voice coil is what's important.

Large surround means smaller cone. That means potential frequency loss. A larger surround sub would need more xmax to make up for cone surface area loss over a larger cone/smaller surround sub.

All that said, I'm not saying one is better the other as I'm not a fan of either. I'd prefer a Memphis PR over either, followed by a Kicker Comp, Comp VR.

Also, I know Steve isn't trying to steer anyone wrong, I'm just trying to stir up a little debate, lol.

You are missing the concept of the entire post. What we are talking about here is a complete budget system that consits of a custom Camaro box, two 10s and an amp, all for 350 bux. In order to do that, you have to exclude the high priced subs. Yes we all have our preferences, but a JL or Memphis system will put you probably twice this or more. We are talking about subs in the $50 to $60 range and amps in the $100-$150 range tops. You aren't gonna buy any memphis or JL subs or amps for that price. I can't even tuch this with my kicker gear so in order to get into this price range, we have to select the appropriate gear.

Yes, the infinity terminal is not as nice. Agreed, but overall I think the Infinity is a better value because it's built better and at least handles the power of the given amp. This isn't going to be a SPL setup so a couple square inches of cone area are a moot point. If somebody wants to go for SPL, then they need spend more on their system. This is strictly a way to get bass in the car on a budget without buying pure junk like crunch or pyramid or that kind of stuff.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #19
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

im interested when the bank account grows ill be purchasing from you steve

pm me the details on it... or a link when u get it all figured out
Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 PM   #20
mrray13

Quote:
You are missing the concept of the entire post. What we are talking about here is a complete budget system that consits of a custom Camaro box, two 10s and an amp, all for 350 bux. In order to do that, you have to exclude the high priced subs. Yes we all have our preferences, but a JL or Memphis system will put you probably twice this or more. We are talking about subs in the $50 to $60 range and amps in the $100-$150 range tops. You aren't gonna buy any memphis or JL subs or amps for that price. I can't even tuch this with my kicker gear so in order to get into this price range, we have to select the appropriate gear.

Yes, the infinity terminal is not as nice. Agreed, but overall I think the Infinity is a better value because it's built better and at least handles the power of the given amp. This isn't going to be a SPL setup so a couple square inches of cone area are a moot point. If somebody wants to go for SPL, then they need spend more on their system. This is strictly a way to get bass in the car on a budget without buying pure junk like crunch or pyramid or that kind of stuff.

I agree. I do. Hell, I think for car audio here, you are tops.

However, some of the points you were trying to make in the difference between products really don't amount to anything. Number of coils, size of magnet and surround don't amount to a hill of beans except to those who don't know. Then you get into audiobahn style marketing. Next thing we'll hear is," if it doesn't bling, it doesn't sing." ( not mine, but can't remember where I read that lol)

Now, I'm not saying you'll do that, in fact, I've seen nothing but the opposite. I just can't not (love the double negative) let that go by without making a comment, lol. I mean no harm, nor offense. Only to educate.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:53 AM   #21
Topdown
The wait is over!

for comparatively priced subs, I will take the infinity... yes, I agree with mrray13 that the terminals are better on the fosgate, but since I am not in the habit (ok, damnit, I am, but most people arent...) of swapping in/out subs so the terminals are just a passing thought and forgotten once installed...

What I am looking at/for is the slightly bigger roll surround and the deeper magnet on the Infinity - both of which tell me that that sub has greater power handling and higher xmax....

that being said - for a 50.00 - 60.00 sub, there arent that many DVC choices and since most monoblock amps are rated at 2-ohm loads, the wiring options are critical.

just my .02...

Old 01-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #22
mrray13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
for comparatively priced subs, I will take the infinity... yes, I agree with mrray13 that the terminals are better on the fosgate, but since I am not in the habit (ok, damnit, I am, but most people arent...) of swapping in/out subs so the terminals are just a passing thought and forgotten once installed...

What I am looking at/for is the slightly bigger roll surround and the deeper magnet on the Infinity - both of which tell me that that sub has greater power handling and higher xmax....

that being said - for a 50.00 - 60.00 sub, there arent that many DVC choices and since most monoblock amps are rated at 2-ohm loads, the wiring options are critical.

just my .02...

Again, only to be argumentive, with that boot on, one has no clue as to size of magnet. It could be a thicker top or bottom plate. Thicker surround doesn't always mean more xmax, but hope it does because it'll need it to make up for smaller cone. What I do like about the Infinity basket has cooling vents under the spider landing. That does elevate it above the RF.

For the price point above, I would go with Steve for two reasons, both of which he mentioned. You'll get more power and subs that can handle that power for the same money. Will one be able to tell a 100watt difference? No. But getting all you can for you money is important.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #23
c-dub
It's that guy

Drives: 2011 SIM SS/RS
Do want...subthump FTW in my opinion.
but....
What about rattle? won't 2 10" subs make the trunk rattle a bunch, considering the trunk already rattles?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #24
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
I would agree with giving the nod to Steve,not because of the difference in subs,afterall you cant use a rating on one sub from a different source than the manufacture to compare against the other sub useing the manufactures rating .. The service after the sale i would think would make up for the small difference in the subs,for the record between these 2 i would choose the RF
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #25
AFblueSS
U.S.A.F. Retired

Drives: Imperial Blue 2010 Camaro 1SS / 6MT
Send a message via Yahoo to AFblueSS
For $350.00 that is a pretty sweet setup. Definitely enough for the "average" car audio upgrade.

Q-Logic makes a great box. I love the way that box looks in the trunk picture. Very smooth!