Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 01-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #26
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Can't wait to see all the pics and read all the articles. This is gonna be one badass machine.

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #27
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
It does not say "Z28". it says "6.2L SC" or something to that effect - the engine spec.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #28
mondain

Drives: toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I prefer Z/28 like most of the forums here have stated. However...

just like the Corvette changes over time with new meaning to each new name... I would really easily assimilate if if they would name the new HP Camaro (with the tandem drive train as the Corvette ZR1)

the All New, All Powerful, CAMARO ZR1. Wow!

Oh, and my Z Dog who rides "shotgun" would truly fill the role with a smile!
I agree the landscape has changed, which is why I don't agree with everyone saying that the Z28 *HAS* to compete with the Boss302. No, it doesn't. GM can create another moniker for that later on. For right now, the GT500 is the king to be dethroned and that's what they're aiming at.

The name might be heritage, but what it competes against is driven by the 2011 market. There will be Z28's on the road going up against the Boss302 when both are available.

So freaking what.

Like I said, GM would be idiotic to ignore what their fans/customers have been screaming for for the past 2 years: a supercharged Camaro called the Z28.

And I believe that's exactly what they'll deliver.
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
It does not say "Z28". it says "6.2L SC" or something to that effect - the engine spec.
Nobody from GM has uttered the name "Z28" when referring to a future vehicle....ever. They've been very careful to keep it under wraps, but they've also never said it wouldn't be called that...
Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #30
Wideopenmx85

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
this just made my day!!! I was thinking about going before but I am def gonna be there now!!
Wideopenmx85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #31
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
It'll be interesting to see what name they introduce it as. I can hardly believe they introduce it as the Z-28 and then change the name later to HPE or HP.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #32
OUTATIME

I don't see what the hell everyone is getting so excited for. This is hardly official information. For the Detroit Auto Show, Road & Track said it would be debuted there:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...let-camaro-z28

Oh and, it will be "followed by an on-sale date of no later than mid-2011", and it "will likely be priced around $40,000". Should we still believe it?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #33
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: '10 Camaro SS and 2LT
My opinion would be that they do come out with a new model (HP) or whatever that is current with the GT500 in terms of SC, better suspension etc...

I really wish, they would build a Z28, leave it naturally aspirated, shave some weight, better handling, brakes and limit the bells and whistles and we have a direct competition to the Boss 302..... Just my .02
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #34
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Nobody from GM has uttered the name "Z28" when referring to a future vehicle....ever. They've been very careful to keep it under wraps, but they've also never said it wouldn't be called that...
Well, there is the whole "via Z-28 blanks" reference from this years GM SEMA video for the SSX. Doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot in the grand scheme of things as things can always change, but it's something.

fbodfather did come out well before the Detroit show and squash the rumors of a debut there, but nothing has been said yet about Chicago, so I'll remain hopeful. My money is on the NY show but we'll know within the next couple weeks, unless fbodfather wants to chime in.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #35
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
I agree the landscape has changed, which is why I don't agree with everyone saying that the Z28 *HAS* to compete with the Boss302. No, it doesn't. GM can create another moniker for that later on. For right now, the GT500 is the king to be dethroned and that's what they're aiming at.

The name might be heritage, but what it competes against is driven by the 2011 market. There will be Z28's on the road going up against the Boss302 when both are available.

So freaking what.

Like I said, GM would be idiotic to ignore what their fans/customers have been screaming for for the past 2 years: a supercharged Camaro called the Z28.

And I believe that's exactly what they'll deliver.
While it's not entirely fair of me to say the spy shots we have prove this, the Boss wasn't out yet. While I won't say GM is idiotic to ignore us, I will say a lot of us have been waiting a long time for it's return. I DO have full confidence whatever Z28 will come to be will kick asp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
Well, there is the whole "via Z-28 blanks" reference from this years GM SEMA video for the SSX. Doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot in the grand scheme of things as things can always change, but it's something.

fbodfather did come out well before the Detroit show and squash the rumors of a debut there, but nothing has been said yet about Chicago, so I'll remain hopeful. My money is on the NY show but we'll know within the next couple weeks, unless fbodfather wants to chime in.
I remember reading these comments from 'father, too. I just think it's still to early and still too close to the ragtop coming on-line.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #36
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 1967 FI Corvette, CRT ZL1, 2015 Z51
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post

OldJedi: Way too soon? It's been in development for 2 years, who says it isn't ready?

As the convertibles are just now beginning to leave the factory and hit showroom floors, it is strictly my opinion that the HPE/Z28 will not be debuted in two weeks in Chicago. It is based COMPLETELY on my gut feeling with NO factual basis. I believe the New York show would have better timing being closer to the summer and a lot warmer. I could be way off but I do not think so. Unless Fbodfather or Ed Welburn says something different, I am going to stick with my New York guess. I gave up guessing what it's official name will ultimately be, so this is this the only other guess I have going. I know it has been undergoing testing for quite some time, I hope it will be ready soon.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #37
speedy_g

Drives: CAMARO RS V6
I also heard the Z-28 will be in Chicago .
speedy_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #38
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #39
speedy_g

Drives: CAMARO RS V6
I'll be at the show for sure .love sitting in new cars.
speedy_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #40
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist

Drives: '10 RY 2LT Camaro '96 Mustang Cobra
I want to believe; but it just doesn't make sense with the drop top being all the buzz right now. They're not gonna give the MVP of the superbowl a 2011 vert and then the week following drop the Z/28.... But I'll still hold onto my hopes; stranger things have happened.
Team LLT-M6
BlkThndr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #41
GaryJr

Drives: 2SS/RS #31118
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
I don't see what the hell everyone is getting so excited for. This is hardly official information. For the Detroit Auto Show, Road & Track said it would be debuted there:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...let-camaro-z28

Oh and, it will be "followed by an on-sale date of no later than mid-2011", and it "will likely be priced around $40,000". Should we still believe it?
Isn't the Detroit auto show over with.....?
GaryJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #42
mondain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
As the convertibles are just now beginning to leave the factory and hit showroom floors, it is strictly my opinion that the HPE/Z28 will not be debuted in two weeks in Chicago. It is based COMPLETELY on my gut feeling with NO factual basis. I believe the New York show would have better timing being closer to the summer and a lot warmer. I could be way off but I do not think so. Unless Fbodfather or Ed Welburn says something different, I am going to stick with my New York guess. I gave up guessing what it's official name will ultimately be, so this is this the only other guess I have going. I know it has been undergoing testing for quite some time, I hope it will be ready soon.
Fair enough. But they are only announcing it. I believe they will simply hold a press conference to announce that Z28's will officially be built starting January 2012.

I feel that's all most people want: confirm the damn thing is official.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #43
mondain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkThndr66 View Post
I want to believe; but it just doesn't make sense with the drop top being all the buzz right now. They're not gonna give the MVP of the superbowl a 2011 vert and then the week following drop the Z/28.... But I'll still hold onto my hopes; stranger things have happened.
Why not? GM already confirmed to dealers that the Z28 will begin production in January 2012, so a Z28 wont be in anyone's hands for at least 12-14 months. Plenty of time for some rich football star to enjoy a free 2011 Camaro
Old 01-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #44
hector95z

Drives: 1995 Camaro Z28
Hey guys, been a lurker for awhile, first time posting and hope not to upset any of you with my response? I can't imagine this car not being called anything other than Z28. What are we going to call it, HP Edition, better yet, Berlinetta? GM hasn't confirmed a name on the project because they are looking for a big unveiling, hopefully in Chicago. The car has been around for a year or two, probably started work on it once the SS became a big hit, two plus years now. As for Chicago goes, let's hope? The sooner the better. It will not clash with the release of the convertible, it will only had to the legend that is, THE CAMARO!
hector95z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #45
OUTATIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJr View Post
Isn't the Detroit auto show over with.....?
That would be the point of my post. lol Just don't believe what you read until you see an actual press release or official pics like we did for the 'vert.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #46
SQUALO
Early Production "SS"

Drives: 2010 SS IOM/WHITE RALLYS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoked View Post
You guys are way off.
Its going to debut at the Toronto auto show. The camaro is being built here. it wouldnt make no sence not to show it off here.
I like your enthusiasm, and logic, however, and along with everyone else's comments we have to face reality.

The vehicle is still in it's testing stage, and the final cosmetics probably haven't been finalized either; I don't think they would want to present a half stripped future car to the world.
I think we just have to wait for the real thing to surface through GM and when they're ready they'll let us know.

Don't get me wrong on my negativity, I'm as excited and sitting on pins & needles, as the next person. I'm not going to get worked up over "rumors", I'll do the same as I did with the resurrection of the Camaro...I'll believe it when I see it, and not sooner, to avoid disappointment.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #47
2010victoryredss_ron
Born: August 27, 2009

Drives: 10CAMARO SS,12CRUZE RS,07 YAM R6
Send a message via MSN to 2010victoryredss_ron
well they better do something soon, i was at Detroit show and the Ford display of the 302 was impressive....they had a 302 on a dyno, and when they started it up they sure drew a crowd...im not a ford guy but evn i went over to check it out....GM had a convertible rotating on a pedastal..... my .02 cents....
Old 01-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #48
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
I doubt it'll be at the Chicago Auto Show. I would like it to be before C5Fest though. Would be awesome if GM brought one to AZ for the event!

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #49
CyberGamaro

Drives: CyberGray Camaro
Maybe I'm wrong but, wouldn't the unveiling of a new TRIM (Z28, HP, etc.) hurt sales for a car just now going on sale i.e. the convertible? some people might say oh idk maybe I'll wait for that(Z) instead of getting this(convert).

Bi***es love smiley faces
CyberGamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #50
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGamaro View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but, wouldn't the unveiling of a new TRIM (Z28, HP, etc.) hurt sales for a car just now going on sale i.e. the convertible? some people might say oh idk maybe I'll wait for that(Z) instead of getting this(convert).
The price gap is large enough I don't think there would be too much cannibalization. If someone is about to buy a vert it is likely because they want a vert.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote